« PreviousContinue »
to צחק Isaac , from יצחק ;to collect לקט a scrifi
, from ילקוט names
servile 163. Prefixed denotes the third person masc. future sing. and plur. of all verbs. 164. Prefixed, forms some appellative nouns, and many proper
, a , , laugh; apy" Jacob, from spy to supplant.
165. Inserted, forms many nouns; and after the first radical, denotes the effect or consequence, from the participle active of the verb; for instance, from 11 air breathing or in motion, comes an odour or exhalation. Inserted after the second radical, denotes the effect or consequence, from the participle passive, as 793p harvest, from hip cut down.
166. Inserted before the last radical, it denotes the Hiphil conjugation.
167. Postfixed, forms a national name, as may an Hebrew, "wyd a Canaanite.
168. Postfixed, forms the ordinal numbers, why third, 2n fourth, &c. And observe, that in these ordinal nouns of number, 'is not only postfixed, but frequently, as here, inserted also before the last radical.
169. Postfixed, denotes the 2d person fem. future and imperative, as upon thou (woman) shalt visit; 'po visit thou (woman), and sometimes the second person fem. preter, as, 'now and 777 Ruth iji. 3; invins Jer. xiii. 21. Comp. Jer. xxii. 23. xxxi. 21, and Ezek. xvi. 19,
; . ; . , ; ; so ver. 47, 51.
170. Postfixed, is the sign of the masculine plural in regimine, as pouxo gp kings of the earth. Comp. rule 25. 171. Postfixed, is formative in some nouns, both substantive, as
, , , , flicted, poor.
172. Postfixed to a noun, denotes the pronominal suffix my, as 927 my word; to a verb, me, as 'opo he visited me.
y servile 173. Prefixed, is a particle of similitude, like, as, according to, when.*
174. Postfixed to a noun, thy, as 7937 thy word; to a verb, thee, as 7 po he visited thee.
;עשיתי and זכרתי ,43 .ver ;גליתי and קבצתי ,37
.ver ;ילדתי ,20
of עני ,violent אכזרי ,free חפשי fruits and adjective , as פרי ,Lord אדני
y servile is 175. Prefixed only, to, for, &c. *
servile 176. Prefixed, is a particle, from, &c.t or comparatively, tkan.
177. Prefixed denotes the participle of Hiphil and Huphal (and with n added, of Hithpael), whence
178. Prefixed, forms many nouns, signifying the instrument, or mean, or place of action, as from.ja to protect, jas a shield, an instrument of protection; from mai to sacrifice, mais an altar; so with 17 or n at the end of the word, many feminine nouns, as obudo instrument or mean of ruling.
179. Postfixed to a noun, is a pronominal suffix, their, as 0937 their word; to a verb, them, as opo he visited them.
180. Postfixed with , forms the noun dino redemption, from 7770 10 redeem.
181. Postfixed, forms some adverbs, as ooi by day, from or day; Din gratis, from it to be kind, gracious; DJDK truly, from 18 truth; op'n vainly, from pvain.
servile 182. Prefixed, forms the preter and participle of the conjugation Niphal. 183.
the first person plural future of all verbs. 184.
some few appellative nouns, as inhou an ant, from Sos to cron; jan3 a mutterer, whisperer, from 129 to whisper.
185. Postfixed, them and their, feminine.
186. - forms many nouns, as amp an offering, from approach; especially with 1 preceding, as mingi a memorial, from 12 to remember; 19730 drunkenne88, from 120 to inebriate.
servile 187. Prefixed only, denotes the relative who, which. I 188. the particle that, because.
servile 189. Prefixed, denotes a noun, as masc. Topan a disciple or scholar,
* From to.
-to ue רפה Teraphim , from תרפים to teach
; masculine plural למד from
, nerate; feminine ninn a prayer, means of obtaining favour, from in to be gracious: also a particle, as nnn under, from in to descend.
190. Prefixed denotes the second person future of both numbers and genders; and the third person future feminine sing. and plur.
191. Postfixed, denotes the second person preter sing. of all verbs. 194. in regimine for á fem. See rule 26.
193. forms many nouns feminine, as noap incense, from map to famigate.
The above table of the serviles should be carefully perused by the learner, and continually consulted by him, when in words he meets with letters for which he cannot account.
For finding the Root in Lexicons.
.is the root סב ,occurs סבב word
194. Reject all affixes, and letters acquired in forming; if three letters remain, that is the root. If only two, add'or 3 in the beginning (and in the deflections of ops to take, 5), 'or i in the middle, 7 or * at the end, or double the second radical letter--for instance, if the
, , 195. Observe is to be added at the beginning, 1 in the middle, or ng at the end, much more frequently than 3 or å are to be supplied.
196. If, after rejecting the affixes and formative letters, only one letter should remain, add ' or 3 to the beginning, and 07 at the end.
.נכה see אך for ;יגה see חניון Thus for
For finding the Root in Mr. Parkhurst's Lexicon.
197. Reject all affixes, and letters acquired in forming; if three
* In doing this, verbs in Hithpael may give sometimes trouble to the learner. nn the characteristic is ordinarily to be cast off. When
.רוח היה כוה is retained
, as inי or
letters remain, that is generally the root: thus in the word n'UNTI,
199. If, after rejecting the affixes and formative letters, only two letters remain, that is frequently the root. Thus in D'own, Gen. i. 1, 17 is a particle emphatic, the, by rule 150, 0' is the termination of a noun masculine plural, by rule 19. av therefore remains for the root.
200. But if, in this case, you cannot find it as a two-lettered root, add'or to the beginning of the word, and to the deflections of Aps to take, 5 (comp. rules 89. 93, 94, 95) or 07, and more rarely s to the end. (Comp. rules 102, 103, 104.) Thus in nynn, Gen. ii. 9, n is emphatic, the, rule 150, n is a feminine termination, rule 193; these then being rejected, y remains; but not finding this in a two-lettered form, I add. Yod to the beginning, and find it under root yr'. Again, in np" and he took, Gen. ü. 15, 1 is a particle, and, rule 157; 'is the sign of the third person masculine future, rule 163; np then remaining, I add to the beginning, and look for mps. In "35 Gen. i. 2,' is the sign of the N. masc. plur. in regimine, rule 25; this therefore being rejected, and not finding the root jo in a two-lettered form, I
, . 201. If, after rejecting the affixes and formative letters, only one Tetter should remain, add ' or 3 to the beginning, and 77 to the end.
.פנה to the end
, and look for ה add
the first radical is 7, 9, or n, the servile n is sometimes omitted.
,שוע ,צוח in
Thus Gen. xiv. 15, in J"), 1 is a connexive particle, and, rule 157,
the sign of the third person masculine future, rule 163, and D a suf-
202. Nouns or particles of two letters ending in 'must usually be
203. Reduplicate words must be sought under their simple ones;