« PreviousContinue »
The Day of Jacob's Trouble. Surely Israel SHALL BE RESTORED; but there is an AWFUL TIMB OF TROUBLE awaiting her. Their sins are mountain high. Upon them is the guilt of innocent blood, even the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Mat. 27:25.
The faithful prophet saw it when he wrote:
“And these are the words that the Lord spake concerning Israel and concerning Judah.
“For thus saith the Lord: We have heard a voice of trembling, of fear, and not of peace.
"Ask ye now, and see whether a man doth travail with child? wherefore do I see every man with his hands on his loins, as a woman in travail, and all faces are turned into paleness.
"Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it." Jer. 30:4-7.
"Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations." Ezek. 36:31.
Yes, they shall repent and loathe themselves.
and I wiM settle you after your old estates, and will do better unto you than at your beginnings; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.
(23) Zech. 10:11. And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall smite the waves in the sea, and all the deeps of the river shall dry up; and the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart away.
Ezek. 7:1. Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
2. Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is
come upon the four corners of the land.
3. Now is the end come upon thee, and I will send mine anger upon thee, and will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense upon thee all thino abominations.
4. And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity: but I will recompense thy ways upon thee, and thine abominations shall be in the midst of thee; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.
8. Now will I shortly pour out my fury upon thee, and accomplish mine anger upon thee; and I will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense
"And I will bring the THIRD PART through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name and I will hear them; I will say, it is my people; and they shall say, the Lord is my God.” Zech. 13:9.
All this is intimately connected with the coming of Christ, not at the Rapture, but at the Revelation. (See diagram page 72.)
For we read, “When the Lord shall build up Zion, HE SHALL APPEAR IN HIS GLORY." Psa. 102:16.
It is when He appears with His saints (the Church) in flaming fire to execute judgment (2 Thes. 1:7-10; Jude 14) upon the nations and upon Israel, who are the third party in Mat. 25:36, etc.,24 and who are not to be reckoned among the nations. Nu. 23:9. It is when He sits as a refiner and purifier.
“Behold I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me; and the Lord whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.
“But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fuller's soap.
“And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
"Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the Lord, as in the days of old, and as in former years.
“And I will come near you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the Lord of hosts." Mal. 3:1-5.
“He shall indeed refine Israel in the furnace of af
thee for all thine abominations.
9. And mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity : I will recompense thee according to thy ways and thine abominations that are in the midst of thee; and ye shall know that I am the Lord that smiteth.
(24) Mat. 25:40. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
And they shall arise and shine, for TELTE LIGHT SHALL COME.26
Arise and shine in youth immortal,
Thy light is come, thy King appears!
Breaks a new dawn-THE THOUSAND YEARS! We might fill a book with comments upon how Israel shall be restored, but all we have desired to do was to show that it is an incontrovertible fact of prophecy, and that it is intimately connected with, our Lord's appearing, and this we trust we have satisfactorily accomplished.
The detail of the manner of their restoration, and of their repentance and acceptance of Christ, is not so important to us. For those who are of the Church are to be taken away first, in the Rapture, and escape all these things through which Israel must pass.27
True, many have found the study of this detail a rich blessing, and we give the result which one has reached on pages 187 to 195, and yet we believe that we cannot now discern the order of these things so clearly as Israel will in the great rush of events, after the Church is taken away, and when the Book is more completely unsealed and opened. Dan. 12:4.
It is enough for us to know that it will be in the LATTER Days (Isa. 2:2) that Antichrist is to be revealed and destroyed by Jesus the King of the Jews, who is coming (2 Thes. 2:8), and that Israel, His people, "are at hand to come." Ezk, 36:8.
(25) Isa. 48:10. Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.
Psa. 66:10. For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.
(26) Isa. 60 :1. Arise, shine ; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.
2. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and bis glory shall be seen upon thee.
3. And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
4. Lift up thine eyes round about, and see : all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall
come from far and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.
(27) Luke 21:36. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand beforo the Son of man.
The Study of Prophecy. It may be you disapprove the study of prophecy, because Jesus said: “But of that day and hour knoweth no man” (Mat. 24:36), and, “It is not for you to know the times or the seasons which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7.
Dear reader! do not conceive that the study of prophecy consists merely in the setting of dates or forecasting future events. For wise reasons the Master has withheld from us “the day and the hour” when He will come, but He called the Pharisees hypocrites, because they could not discern the signs of the times, and He has commanded us to WATCH, and he has pronounced a blessing upon the study of proph
Peter exhorts us to GIVE HEED unto the sure word of prophecy. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Tim. 3:16.
The greater part of this Scripture consists of prophecy, and if Christians would give more attention to it, they would not find themselves distracted from present service, but "they would find much light thrown on their present path, much practical encouragement given to their ministry." Their faith would rest upon a broader and deeper comprehension of God's character and ways, and their spiritual horizon would stand out in clearer outline than before.
(1) Rev. 1:3. Blessed is he Luke 11:28. But he said, Yea, that readeth, and they that hear rather, blessed are they that hear" the words of this prophecy, and the word of God, and keep it. keep those things which are writ (2) 2 Pet. 1:19. And we have ten therein: for the time is at the word of prophecy made more hand.
sure; whereunto ye do well that Rev, 22:7. Behold, I come ye take heed, as unto a lamp quickly : blessed is he that keep shining in a dark place, until eth the sayings of the prophecy the day dawn, and the day-star of this book.
arise in your hearts.
"But to perceive and understand all this requires much more than a surface study of Scripture, or the mere forecasting of future events. It must be read in its profounder teachings, in those wonderful depths of meaning that underlie its illustrations, its metaphors, its history, as well as sparkle up to the sunlight, in its bright prophetic announcement of coming glory.” Such a study of God's word will be found of paramount importance to meet the skepticism of the day, “for it furnishes us out of God's own armory, and trains us in His school of warfare." See how God uses prophetic truth to confound the philosophers and skeptics. And He points to the prophecies fulfilled as an assurance of the accomplishment of the new things declared by Him. “Before they spring forth I tell you of
And He sets forth Israel as the WITNESSES before all nations of the Word He has declared and that He is God.5
And such they are to-day.
(3) Isa. 41:21. Produce your cause, saith the Lord; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob.
22. Let them bring them forth, and show us what shall happen: let them show the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come.
23. Show the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods; yea, dɔ good, or do evil that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.
(4) Isa. 42:8. I am the Lord; that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
9. Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.
(5) Isa. 43:9. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them
can declare this, and show us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them bear, and say, It is truth.
10. Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen ; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, peither shall there be after me.
11. I, even I, am the Lord ; and besides me there is no s&viour.
12. I have declared, and have saved, and I have showed, whep there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my wit. nesses, saith the Lord, that I am God.