« PreviousContinue »
A NEW EDITION:
CORRECTED FROM THE ORIGINALS.
HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL,
BY ALEX. CHALMERS, F. S. A.
PUBLISHED BY E. SARGEANT, AND M. & W. WARD; AND MUNROE, FRANCIS & PARKER, AND
EDWARD COTTON, BOSTON.
311. LETTER on Fortune-stealers• • •
312. On Sorrow-Power of bearing Calamities
-Letter on the Prayers of Clergymen be-
313. Comparative Advantages of public and pri-
314. Letters from a Lover and Answer-from
John Trott on his Courtship Qualifica-
tion of a Poet-Encoring in the Theatres
315. [Criticism on Paradise Lost..
316. Letters on Idleness-From a Lover· · ·
317. On waste of time-Journal of a Citizen. ADDISON.
318! Amours of Escalus, an old Beau....
319. Letters from Dorinda, complaining of the
Spectator's Partiality-From a Man of
321. Criticism on Päradise Lost..
322. Letter from Octavia complaining of the In-
325. On Looking-glasses-Passage from Milton Budgell,
326. Letter on Fortune-hunters-Hints to a
Lover-Causes of longing in Women.... STEELE.
327. Criticism on Paradise Lost.....
328. Letter from a Husband likely to be ruined
328*. Correspondence of Gabriel Bullock and
329. Visit with Sir Roger de Coverly to West-
330. Letters on the Education of Youth
334. On Dancing · · ·
three thrifty Ladies
Letter on the same Subject
335. Sir Roger de Coverly at the Theatre
336. On the unaccommodating Disposition of
old men-Impertinence of shopping
338. Letter complaining of a merry Prologue to
339. Criticism on Paradise Lost
340. Character of Prince Eugene •
341. Letter in Defence of merry Epilogues
312. Story of Hortensius and Sylvana
344. Epicure Mammon's Letter on Eating-on
349. Consolation and Intrepidity in Death ADDISON.
350. Cruelty of a French Captain-Reflections
351. Criticism on Paradise Lost
352. On early Wickedness-Extract from Tillot-
354. Character of a Devotee-Impudent Beha-
viour of People in the Streets.
355. Use to be made of Enemies
357. Criticism on Paradise Lost ·
358. Proper Ingredients of Festivity and Mirth STEELE.
359. History of Will Honeycomb's Amour BUDGELL.
360. On Propriety in genteel Dress
361. Letter on Cat-calls-History of them
362. Letters in Commendation of Brook and
Hellier's Wine-from a Scholar in Love.. STEELE.
363. Criticism on Paradise Lost
From a new married Couple-From a Prude STEELE.
365. Dangerous Influence of the Month of May BUDGELL.
lation of a Lapland Love-song-on a
367. Various Advantages of the Spectators-
369. Criticism on Paradise Lost
370. On the Stage-Dancing recommended · ·
371. Humorous Way of sorting Companies-for