« PreviousContinue »
will exalt himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God (the rebuilt temple at Jerusalem) and sheweth himself that he is God. 2 Thes. 2:4. Doubtless he is the king described in Dan. 11:36, etc.,” who shall do according to his own will and magnify himself above every god. Again, he is seen as the beast described in Rev. 13:11-18” whose number is the number of a man, 666, and who performs “great wonders and deceiveth them that dwell upon the earth,” by means of his miracles, and has the power to kill those who will not worship the image of the beast. And again he is seen in Lucifer, or the day star, of Isa.
14,” of whom the king of Babylon was a type, and who
sweep away the refuge of lies,
weakens the nations, exalts his “throne above the stars of God,” and sits “upon the mount of the congregation.”
Such, in brief, is the awful picture which Scripture gives us of this great opponent of Christ. Many think that he has already been manifested in Antiochus Epiphanes—or the Popes of Rome—or Mohammed and his successors, all of which we regard as erroneous. The Popes have received their exaltation and power, as the pretended vicars of Christ, and not as His opponent. It is a great mistake, therefore, to call them the antichrist, or the opposing one. Antiochus was doubtless a type of antichrist. And in his opposition to the worship of Jehovah, his sacrifice of the hated swine in the temple and his merciless treatment of the Jews, he has given us a miniature picture of what the final antichrist will do. But he passed away long before Paul and John wrote of the antichrist to come. Likewise Mohammed may be in some sense a type, but that is all.
No, antichrist is still in the future, and he will not be manifested until the true Church has been taken away, at the rapture, as described in 1 Thes. 4.1% For Paul says,14 “We beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together unto Him,”— that is, by this very fact of the rapture, of which he had previously written them,” and which must first occur be
heights of the clouds; I will be
tremble, that did shake king-
Lord himself shall descend from
to meet the Lord in the air; and
fore the apostasy should come to the full, and the man of sin be revealed. This is confirmed by verse 7. The Holy Spirit, who, while he is gathering the Bride,” reproves the world of sin, righteousness and judgment,” will, when he is taken out of the way, catch up the Bride to meet the Lord in the air, leaving the apostate church, adulterous Israel and the ungodly world, to believe a lie,” and then shall the lawless one be revealed. Praise God, that the Church is to be kept from this awful hour of temptation.” She shall be with her Lord,” while the world is ruled by
But, though antichrist shall so greatly exalt himself and rule over the world with such power, yet “shall he come
to his end, and none shall help him.”
The Lord shall
destroy him “with the brightness of His coming,” literally “will paralyze (him) with the forthshining of His arcome, with His saints, to execute judgment upon the uns godly.” Yes, he shall “be brought down to hell (sheol), to the sides of the pit.” They that see him shall narrowly look upon him and consider him, saying, “is this THE MAN that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; that made the world as a wildermess and destroyed the cities thereof.” lsa. 14:15-17.
rival” (See Rotherham’s
translation), when He shall
(15) 1 Cor. 12:12. For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body : so also is Christ. 13. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free ; and have been all made to driuk into one Spirit. Eph. 4:30. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (16) John 16 :8. And when be is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment. (17) 2. Thes. 2:11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. (18) Luke 21:36. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. Rev. 3:10. Because thou hast trept the word of my patience, I
also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. (19) 1 Thes. 4:17. Then we Which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air; and so shall We ever be with the Lord. 18. Wherefore comfort one an. other with these words. 1 Thes. 5:9. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10. Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. (20) Dan. 11:45. And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain ; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him. (21) 2. Thes. 2:8. And then shall be revealed the lawless one, whom the Lord Jesus shall slay with the breath of his mouth, and bring to nought by the manifestation of his coming.
We would call special attention to the fact that antichrist denies the Father and the Son,” and that the Greek words in 2 Thes. 2:7-8 should be rendered “the mystery of lawlessness”—“the lawless one.” This, we think, gives an alarming significance to the atheistic and lawless trio of socialism, nihilism and anarchy, so rapidly spreading in our day, and which seeks to wipe out all law relating to marriage, property, etc.
It may be that these are the immediate precursors of antichrist. At any rate, he is surely coming, and sad indeed is the thought of a godless world, rushing on to such a culmination of evil.”
* For a more extended statement of this subject of the antichrist; the rebuilding of Babylon, as Satan’s earthly capitol and the headquarters of commercialism, its complete overthrow and destruction, and other co-relative events, see the author's pamphlet, “Satan, his kingdom and its overthrow.” F. H. Revell Co., Chicago, New York, etc.
(22) Jude 14. also Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, Behold, the Lord came with ten
And to these godly wrought, and of all the hard things which ungodly sin.
ners have spoken against him. Who is a
thousand of his holy ones,
(23) 1 John 2 :22. liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
We believe that the foregoing outline of the order of events will commend itself to every careful student of the Word. However, we persistently urge but ONE POINT, and that is the PRE-MILLENNIAL COMING OF CHRIST AND RAPTURE OF THE SAINTs. This we believe to be the GREAT HOPE for the church, and the principal event for which believers wait.”
Much has been revealed in regard to the Tribulation, the Kingdom, etc., which follow the Rapture; but it is, as it were, only an outline. And, dear reader, let us not be discouraged if we cannot fully understand it.
Do not forget that THE KING is coming. And when HE comes it will be time to make known, in detail, the manner of the Kingdom.”
Post-millennialists apparently forget this altogether, and because they cannot fully understand those things in regard to the Lord's coming, which we now see through a glass darkly, they reject what is plainly revealed.
If, even in the present dispensation, we cannot explain the doctrines of “Free Will,” and “God’s Sovereignty,” to our mutual understanding,-much less can we comprehend the glory, which shall be revealed in us, in the coming
(1) 1 Thes. 1:9. For they uel said to all the people, See ye themselves shew of us what man- him whom the Lord hath chosen, ner of entering in we had unto that there is none like him you, and how ye turned to God among all the people? And all from idols to serve the living the people shouted, and said, and true God ; God save the king.
10. And to Wait for his Son 25. Then Samuel told the peofrom heaven, whom he raised ple the manner of the kingdom, from the dead, even Jesus, which and wrote it in a book, and laid delivered us from the Wrath to it up before the Lord. And COme. Samuel sent all the people away,
(2) 1 Sam. 10:24. And Sam- every man to his house.