« PreviousContinue »
SECOND DIVISION.-(B). 1. ENUMERATE the four particulars in which Paley makes happiness to consist.
2. Define, and give instances of, perfect and imperfect rights.
3. Demonstrate, upon the ground of natural religion, that nothing ought to be made exclusive property which can be conveniently enjoyed in
4. The following argument has been brought forward to justify suicide: -The State exercises a right over the lives of its subjects, when it inflicts capital punishment:--this right it derives from the consent of its subjects: -but no one, by his consent, can transfer to another a right which he does not possess himself. Point out the fallacy in the above reasoning.
5. Who was Praxeas, what heresy did he originate, and from what motive? From what document do we derive most of our information respecting him?
6. Mention the cause of the schism of Novatianus ?
7. Give an account of Tertullian. Enumerate his principal writings, distinguishing those known to have been written after he ceased to be Orthodox.
8. What were the circumstances of the conversion of Constantine to Christianity? How far may Christianity be said to have become “established” in his reign? Till what period were Pagan rites tolerated in the Empire ?
9. By whom was the Anglo-Saxon Church founded ? Mention some of the most remarkable men it produced. What peculiarities of the British Church shew its Eastern origin?
10. Give some account of the principal doctrinal works published by authority in the reign of Henry VIII.
11. How did Henry VIII. procure "the submission of the Clergy ? What title did the sovereign receive in consequence, and how was this subsequently modified? What eminent men suffered under the Act establishing the Royal Supremacy ?
12. What steps were taken in Church and State at the death of Queen Mary to bring back the reformed religion in England ? Who was the first Archbishop of Canterbury after her death? By whom was he consecrated ? What account of this ceremony was put forth by the Roman Catholics?
TUESDAY, January 27, 1857. 9 to 12.
FIRST DIVISION.-(A.) 1. TRANSI.ATE, νν. 148-171:
Beginning, Τοιουσδε λόγους ψιθύρους πλάσσων, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, σιγή πτήξειαν άφωνοι. (a) Trace the progress of improvement in the Greek drama from Thespis to Sophocles.
(β) ψυχων ιείς. What is the construction ?
Beginning, ΧΟ. Δέδοικ' ακούων τήνδε την προθυμίαν, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, ει τουμόν ήθος άρτι παιδεύειν νοείς. (a) In what part of the Theatre did the Chorus take up its position ? How did it take part in the dialogue ?
(β) μη κρίνε. State accurately the construction of μή in a sentence conveying a prohibition.
Illustrate the rule by an example. 3. Translate, νν. 843-865:
Beginning, "IT', ώ ταχείαι ποίνιμοί τ' 'Ερινύες, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, τα δ' άλλ' εν Αίδου τους κάτω μυθήσομαι. (a) 'Epwvúes. Mention any other names by which these goddesses were known amongst the Greeks. Give the meaning and derivation of each name.
(β) ποταμοί θ’ οίδε. Name the Trojan rivers most renowned in the story of the war. On what river did Troy stand ?
(γ) Explain the terms χορηγία, χορόν διδόναι, περιπέτεια.
Beginning, Και μην ες αυτόν καιρόν οίδε πλησίον, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, τάφου μεληθείς τώδε, κάν μηδείς έα. (α) έχου. Supply the ellipsis.
(B) Explain the signific of the middle voice in verbs which have an active.
FIRST DIVISION.-(B.) 1. TRANSLATE, νν. 172-193:
Beginning, “Η ρά σε Ταυροπόλα Διός "Άρτεμις, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, όμμ' έχων κακών φάτιν άρη. (a) What changes may be noticed in the office of the Chorus as em. ployed by Æschylus, Sophocles and Euripides respectively?
Quote Horace on the duties of the Chorus, (β) What is the grammatical construction of line 176? (γ) ή τας ασώτου, κ.τ.λ. Supply the ellipsis, and state who is meant. 2. Translate, νν. 331–347 :
Beginning, ΧΟ. Τέκμησσα δεινά παι Τελευταντος λέγει, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, τα τούδε πράγη, καυτός ως έχων κυρεϊ. (α) εισαεί λεηλατήσει. Πlustrate this from the account which Thucydides gives of the conduct of the Greeks at the siege of Troy.
(β) Explain the terms λειτουργία, χορόν διδάσκειν, εκκύκλημα. Is there any instance of the employment of the ékkúkinua in this play? 3. Translate, νν. 815 834:
Beginning, “Ο μεν σφαγεύς έστηκεν η τομώτατος, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, πλευράς διαρρήξαντα τώδε φασγάνω. (α) έστηκεν. Give the imperfect, perfect, and first and second aorists active of this verb, with the precise signification of each.
(B) Illustrate the epithets applied to Hermes in the text.
(γ) Parse πέπηγε, λαχείν, πεπτωτα, and give the derivation of νεηκονής, νεορράντω, ασφαδάστω. 4. Translate, 1097–1117 :
Beginning, "Άγ', είπ’ απ' αρχής αύθις, ή συ φης άγειν, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, ουκ αν στραφείην, έως αν ής οδός περ εί. (α) ούνεχ' όρκων. Explain the allusion.
(B) Draw a map of the Peloponnesus shewing the divisions of the country and the position of the principal towns.
SATURDAY, January 17, 1857. 121 to 31.
SECOND DIVISION.-(A.) 1. TRANSLATE, νν. 284-310:
Beginning, "Απαν μαθήσει τούργον, ως κοινωνός ών, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, κόμην απρίξ όνυξι συλλαβών χερί. (a) What were the principal festivals in honour of Bacchus at Athens ? At which of them were the new Tragedies of the year produced? How was the prize adjudged ?
(B) What improvements were introduced into the Greek drama by Sophocles ? Give the dates of his birth and death.
(γ) σκιά τινί. Explain the allusion. (δ) Derive αυχενίζειν and ραχίζειν. 2. Translate, νν. 693-718:
Beginning, "Εφριξ' έρωτα, περιχαρης δ' ανεπτόμαν, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, θυμων Ατρείδαις μεγάλων τε νεικέων. (a) How do you account for the use of Doric forms in the Chorus ? Give the Attic equivalents of those which occur in this passage. (β) Distinguish between πάρα and παρα.
(v) Describe the geographical position of the Icarian sea. Relate the legend from which its name was derived.
(δ) Parse ανεπτόμαν and derive αλίπλαγκτε, αυτοδαή, λαθίπονος. 3. Translate, VV. 1120-1141:
Beginni ΜΕ. ο τοξότης έoικεν ου σμικρών φρονείν, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, ΤΕ. συ δ' αντακούσει τούτον ως τεθάψεται. (α) θαπτέον. When do verbals in τεος govern an accusative of the object? How might this clause be otherwise expressed ? To what part of the verb in Latin does the verbal in Teos correspond ?
(β) Give a scheme of the metre of Tragic Iambic verse. Are there any pure lambics amongst the preceding lines ?
1. TRANSLATE, VV. 89-117:
Beginning, Αθ. ω ούτος, Αίαν, δεύτερόν σε προσκαλώ, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, τoιάνδ' αεί μοι ξύμμαχον παρεστάναι. (a) Enumerate the extant tragedies of Sophocles, distinguishing those which derive their subjects from the Homeric poems.
(β) Give an outline of the plot of the Ajax.
Beginning, Ω κλεινα Σαλαμίς, συ μέν που, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, έπεσ’ έπεσε μελέους Ατρείδαις. (a) What was the number of the Tragic Chorus in the time of Sophocles? Of whom is the Chorus in this play composed ?
(®) Draw a map shewing the relative position of Salamis to Athens, Ægina and Megara.
(7) Illustrate the epithet klelva as applied to Salamis by the Chorus.
What additional renown had it acquired at the time this play was written?
(d) @peopos. Explain the metaphor. 3. Translate, vv. 1266–1289 :
Beginning, Φεύ του θανόντος ως ταχεία τις βροτοίς, κ.τ.λ.
Ending, ο δούλος, ουκ της βαρβάρου μητρός γεγώς. (a) Give an account of the two events referred to in this passage as related by Homer.
(8) What provision was made for defraying the expense of a dramatic exhibition at Athens ?
LIVY. BOOK V.
Beginning, Hæc per se gravia indigniora ut viderentur,...
Ending, scelere ac proditione collegarum factum arguere. annum jam tertium.' What year was this ? What was the 'Lex Trebonia'? How was it violated on this occasion ? Explain ‘leges sacratas.'
Distinguish between vectigal' and 'tributum,''comitia curiata' and comitia tributa.' II. Translate, V. 38:
Beginning, Ibi tribuni militum, non loco castris ante capto,...
Ending, clausis quidem portis urbis in arcem confugerunt. Where was this battle fought? On what day? By what other defeat bad the same day been previously marked ?
What was the original condition of the 'plebs'? What circumstances led to the appointment of tribuni plebis '?
Derive the words 'porta' and urbs.'
Beginning, Quid tandem ? si fraude, si casu Veiis incendium...
Ending, demissa, hic omnes propitii manentibus vobis dii. To whom does Livy assign this speech? Write the speaker's name in fall, and state what you know of his history? Explain the words 'meæ calamitatis.'
* trecentesimus sexagesimus quintus annus urbis.' What year was this B.c.?