« PreviousContinue »
(2) Why is της Ιουδαίας here added to Βηθλεέμ ? What other name for Bethlehem occurs in the Scriptures ?
(3) Which of the Herods is here meant? By which of them were John the Baptist and James the brother of John put to death?
(4) Who were the udyou here mentioned? In what other passages of the New Testament do μάγος or μαγεύειν occur, and in what sense?
(5) Under what names is Jerusalem mentioned in the Old Testament, and what forms of the name occur in the New? Which of these is most commonly employed by St Luke, and which by the other Evangelists ?
2. Translate and explain where necessary:
Αυτός υμάς βαπτίσει εν Πνεύματι αγίω και πυρί.
“Οταν λαλή το ψεύδος, εκ των ιδίων λαλεί· ότι ψεύστης εστί και ο πατηρ αυτού.
'Εξουσίαν έδωκεν αυτώ και κρίσιν ποιείν, ότι υιός ανθρώπου εστί.
Ει ούν ούτε ελάχιστον δύνασθε, τί περί των λοιπών μεριμνάτε; What is that which is called éAdXlotov in the last passage, and why is it so called ?
Ουκ εγήγερται εν γεννητοϊς γυναικών μείζων Ιωάννου του βαπτιστου· ο δε μικρότερος εν τη βασιλεία των ουρανών μείζων αυτού έστιν. Από δε των ημερών Ιωάννου του βαπτιστού έως άρτι η βασιλεία των ουρανων βιάζεται, και βιασται αρπάζουσιν αυτήν. Πάντες γαρ οι προφήται και ο νόμος έως Ιωάννου προεφήτευσαν και ει θέλετε δέξασθαι, αυτός έστιν 'Ηλίας ο μέλλων έρχεσθαι.
What prophetical citation occurs just before the preceding passage, how does it differ from the original, and what do you infer from this diference? Explain (1) ο δε μικρότερος... (2) βιάζεται... (3) the force of the reason πάντες γαρ... (4) the sense of αυτός έστιν 'Ηλίας...
Our Lord elsewhere says of His Forerunner αποκαθιστά πάντα. Εxplain this.
4. Συνήχθησαν δε οι απόστολοι και οι πρεσβύτεροι ιδείν περί του λόγου τούτου.
What were the circumstances which led to this synod? What speakers are mentioned as having addressed the assembly, and what did they say ? What prophet was quoted, and how does the quotation differ from the present Hebrew text?
5. Translate and explain the following passages, mentioning the Epistles in which they occur;
Ευθέως ού προσανεθέμην σαρκί και αίματι.
Εγω γαρ τα στίγματα του Κυρίου Ιησού εν τω σώματι μου βαστάζω.
Σωθήσεται δε διά της τεκνογονίας, έαν μείνωσιν εν πίστει και αγάπη και αγιασμο μετα σωφροσύνης.
Νυνί δε κατηργήθημεν από του νόμου, αποθανόντες εν ω κατειχομεθα.
Αποκαλύπτεται γαρ οργή θεού απ' ουρανού επί πασαν ασέβειαν και αδικίαν ανθρώπων των την αλήθειαν εν αδικία κατεχόντων.
Δια τούτο εν υμίν πολλοί ασθενείς και άρρωστοι, και κοιμώνται ικανοί.
Οι γαρ καλώς διακονήσαντες βαθμον εαυτοίς καλόν περιποιούνται, και πολλών παρρησίαν εν πίστει τη εν Χριστώ Ιησού.
Ου γαρ δήπου αγγέλων επιλαμβάνεται, αλλά σπέρματος Αβρααμ επιλαμβάνεται.
Νόμος δε παρεισήλθεν, ίνα πλεονάση το παράπτωμα. 6. Translate, and illustrate by reference to examples in the Old Testament history:
Οι δια πίστεως κατηγωνίσαντο βασιλείας, ειργάσαντο δικαιοσύνης, επέτυχον επαγγελιών, έφραξαν στόματα λεόντων, έσβεσαν δύναμιν πυρός, έφυγον στόματα μαχαίρας, ενεδυναμώθησαν από ασθενείας, εγενήθησαν ισχυροί εν πολέμω, παρεμβολας έκλιναν αλλοτρίων...... Έλιθάσθησαν, έπρίσθησαν, επειράσθησαν, έν φόνω μαχαίρας απέθανον περιήλ. θον εν μηλωταϊς, εν αιγείοις δέρμασιν.
7. Translate into GREEK :
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
In the Greek original, what difference anciently existed in the division of the words in vv. 3 and 4, and what was the resulting sense?
1. Which is probably the earliest Christian writing, not in the sacred canon? Give some account of Ignatius: and state the circumstances of the controversy respecting his letters. What period does the history of Eusebius comprise ?
2. During the second century, (a) What were the principal persecutions, and the hostile edicts of
Emperors ? (6) What were the edicts or rescripts favourable to the Christians ? (c) Who were the Apologists, and in whose reign were they most
numerous ? 3. State what you know of any persons or events in the Church of Corinth after the time of St Paul. Give some particulars respecting the Church in Gaul in the second century. Give the date of Diocletian, and mention instances of his severities.
4. Give an account, with dates, of
(a) Papias or Theodotus.
the readmission of the Lapsed. 5. What do you know respecting the places of worship in which the early Christians used to meet? Mention any incidents and statistics show. ing the extent and state of the Church in Africa about the beginning of the third century.
6. What several circumstances favoured the progress of Christianity in early times? What retarded it? What were the various charges commonly advanced against Christians ?
ENGLISH REFORMATION. 1. What Englishmen had raised their voices against the corruptions of Rome before the sixteenth century ? From what several sources in England did Rome derive her wealth? Whence also, directly or indirectly, her power? Enumerate her doctrinal errors.
2. Explain the terms Præmunire, In commendam, Investiture ; and give the substance and date of the Statute of Mortmain, and of the 'Six Articles.'
3. What causes led to the dissolution of Monasteries? Relate the steps taken in this work, and the extent to which it was carried. What were the evils, and what the benefits, resulting from it?
4. Give the date of Edward VI.'s reign. What steps had been taken in Church Reform before his accession ? What works were published by authority, what injunctions issued, and what Acts passed, in his reign?
5. Who was the first Martyr in the Marian persecution ? Where and when was Cranmer burnt? What was the whole number of martyrdoms? On what subject did the examination generally turn? Why did the martyrs consider it to be one of such vital importance ?
6. Give an account of Hooker, especially the occasions and contents of his Ecclesiastical Polity. Mention the occasion and the subjects of the Lambeth Articles.
7. What do you know of Hunne, Sir Thomas More, Bucer, Parker?
8. What was the “Great Bible'? When was the last revision of our English Version ?
THE ARTICLES OF RELIGION.
The Schwabach Articles of 1529.
The Confession of Wirtemberg.
2. Prove from Scripture that God is a Spirit without body, parts, or passions,—is a personal living being,—that God is one. By what classes of heretics were these truths opposed ?
Point out fully the proofs of our Saviour's divinity which are contained in Rom. ix. 5:
"Ων οι πατέρες, και εξ ών ο Χριστός, το κατά σάρκα, ο ών επί πάντων θεός ευλογητός εις τους αιώνας, αμήν.
Shew that in Philipp. ii. 6–8,
“Ος έν μορφή θεού υπάρχων, ουχ αρπαγμόν ηγήσατο το είναι ίσα θεω. Αλλ' εαυτόν έκένωσε, μορφήν δούλου λαβών, εν ομοιώματα ανθρώπων γενόμενος και σχήματι ευρεθείς ως άνθρωπος εταπείνωσεν εαυτόν, γενόμενος υπήκοος μέχρι θανάτου, θανάτου δε σταυρού. the Arians are not justified in interpreting the words "being in the form of God” as representing and personating God.
3. Why did the Fathers lay such stress on the belief in Christ's descent into hell ? By what sects was the Resurrection of Christ denied? Shew its historical and doctrinal importance. Prove the divinity of the Holy Spirit.
4. Answer the following arguments which the Romanists urge in favour of their doctrine of tradition.
(1) The Authenticity and Canonicity of Scripture rests on tradition alone, and if tradition is necessary to prove this, it may equally prove other doctrines.
(2) Many necessary things are not set down in Scripture.
(3) Some of the chief articles of faith could not be proved from Scripture alone : e.g. the change of the Sabbath to the Lord's day.
(4) Many things in Scripture are so obscure that tradition is necessary to explain their meaning.
What testimony do the primitive Fathers afford in favour of the sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures for Salvation?
5. Give a brief history of the Nicene Creed. Against what heretics are the following verses of the Athanasian Creed directed ? 20.
“ The Father is made of none, neither created nor begotten. 21. « The Son is of the Father alone, not made, nor created, but
begotten. 22. “ The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son, neither made,
por created, nor begotten, but proceeding. 23. “ So there is one Father, not three Fathers, one Son, not three
Sons, one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.” Point out the object of Clause 23.
6. Art. IX. De Peccato Originali. Give a brief summary of the doctrines of Pelagius. On what points is this Article opposed to the doctrines of the Romanists ? Shew that original sin is inherited from birth. Explain the terms fides informis, fides formata. What points are mutually allowed both by Romanists and Protestants with regard to the doctrine of Justification ?
7. Shew that the doctrine of works of supererogation is based upon a false view of the principles of Christian obedience. What is the origin of the XIXth Article De Ecclesia ? Investigate the Scriptural meaning of the word Church. What was the great point upon which the Western Church separated from the Eastern?
8. Art. XXV. De Sacramentis. Whence is the main substance of this Article taken? Give the original meaning of the word Sacrament. In what sense is the word used by the early Fathers, and by our Church? Shew that Ordination and Extreme Unction are not sacraments.
9. Write out Art. XXVII. De Baptismo. State briefly the arguments in favour of Infant Baptism.
10. Enumerate the principal opinions respecting the presence of Christ in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper. Shew that the doctrine of transubstantiation overthrows the nature of a Sacrament. In what sense do the Fathers apply the terms προσφορά and θυσία to the Eucharist ?
11. Prove from Scripture and the Fathers that St Peter had no supremacy over the rest of the Apostles.