« PreviousContinue »
No. II. It Discourages Work. It is objected that it discourages work. This is most inconsistent and untrue, for the very essence of the doctrine is to WATCH, WORK AND WAIT, and to work now for the night cometh when no man can work.2
Some object that they have so many unsaved friends, they cannot wish Jesus to come.
WORK THEN, for we read "all that my Father giveth me shall come to me” (John 6:37-39), and whosoever will may come.3 Knowing the terror (fear) of the Lord, let us persuade men.
2 Cor. 5:11. The Antedeluvians would not heed the preaching of Noah, and even Lot's kindred (his sons-in-law) would not go with him out of Sodom. So there will be those who will not accept of Christ. But of all who believe in Him4 not one will be lost. The Israelites were often led to repentance, in the midst of adversity and calamity, and so if our friends will not be entreated to accept of Christ now, it is perhaps possible that they may do so under the visible judgments of God, during the Tribulation.
But whether they will or not, let us consider, that the great mass of humanity are engulfed in the maelstrom of sin, which is sweeping its millions down to graves of de
Jas. 5:20. Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his ways shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
(2) John 9:4. I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day : the night cometh, when no man can work. See also page
143. (3) Rev. 22:17. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come.
whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
(4) John 1:12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
(5) John 10:27. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28. And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Mat. 7:13. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.
struction (Mat. 7:13), and compared to them, in numbers, the true believers are but a handful. In the Millennium all this will be changed, "for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:9), and all men shall bow to the righteous scepter of King Immanuel.
We would not sacrifice the hundreds of lives upon a passenger train, to save the life of even a FRIEND who willfully exposed himself to danger upon the track; and are not all men our brothers ? and shall we not yearn to save them from the tide of spiritual death? Oh! then, let us cry with the Holy Spirit: “Even so come, Lord Jesus." Rev. 22:20. For when He comes the work will be cut short in righteousness.
NO. IV. My Kingdom Is Not of This World. It is objected that Jesus said: “My Kingdom is not of this world.” John 18:36. True! not of the spirit of the world (1 John 2:15-17); just as believers are not of the world. John 15:19. The correct rendering of the passage is, "My Kingdom is not (EK) out of this world.” That is, it does not emanate from this world. He is not (EK) out of this world.8 Both He and His Kingdom are from above. But it will be set up on this earth, in accordance
(6) Isa. 45:22. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth : for I am God, and there is none else.
23. I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out mouth in righteousness,
and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every 'tongue shall swear.
Phil. 2:10. That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11. And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Luke 1:32. He shall be great,
and shall be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33. And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
Also Rom. 14:11; Mic. 4:1-7.
(7) Rom. 9:28. For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
(8) John 8:23. And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath ; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
(9) Col. 3:1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those
with the prayer which He taught us “Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.” Luke 11:2.10 Earthly kingdoms are corrupted by the deception of Satan. But in the Millennial Kingdom he will not deceive them, for he shall be bound.11
There is nothing essentially sinful in matter. Adam was sinless before his fall and he had a material body. Christ has a material body and is without sin. The earth was cursed because of sin and the spirit of the world clings to
But when the curse is removed,13 and all things that offend are gathered out of the kingdom,14 then shall
things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2. Set your affection on things above, not on things on
3. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shali ye also appear with him in glory. Gal. 4:26.
Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
(10) Dan. 2:44. And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed : and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Dan. 7:18. But the saints of the Most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.
Jer. 23:5. Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
6. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell
safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
(11) Rev. 20:1. And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3. And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand
years should be fulfilled : and after that he must be loosed a little season.
(12) Rom. 1:32. Who, knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
(13) Rev. 22:3. And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him.
(14) Mat. 13:41. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity.
all creation have that for which it groans, ,15 and the righteous shall shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. 16
No. V. The Kingdom Within You. It is objected, that the kingdom of God is not material and visible, but that it is spiritual and invisible. In support of this the following words of Jesus in Luke 17:20-21 are cited:
"When He was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, He answered them and said: The kingdom of God cometh not with observation; neither shall they say, lo, here! or lo, there! for behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
Observation should be translated "careful watching," see Dr. Adam Clarke, or "narrow watching," see Rotherham. The marginal, and better reading for "within you" is "among you," see Rotherham, Wilson, Prof. Whitting, and others. He did not say that the kingdom of God was within, or in the hearts of those wicked Pharisees, but that it was among them, viz.: within the Jewish nation. As Bengel states it, "within is here used, not in any respect of the heart of individual Pharisees, :.. but in respect to the whole Jewish people. The King, Messiah, and therefore the kingdom is here: ye see and ye hear.”
The sense, then, is as follows: The kingdom of God cometh not with “careful watching.” That is, not in such a way 'as to be discerned only by sagacious critics, nor is it
(15) Rom. 8:19. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20. For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope ;
21. Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and
travaileth in pain together until
23. And not only they, but
(16) Mat. 13:42. And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be
wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him heas.
to be seen only by those who are scrupulously watching for it. They shall not say, Behold here or there, for the kinge dom of God is among you, to-wit: it was then visibly present among them, in the person of Jesus the King. And so it will be visibly present when He comes again.17 It did not, and will not, need scrupulous watching to discern it, Had they received Him with faith,-instead of (narrowly) watching Him with deceitful spies,18 they might have realized that their King was then visibly present, and ready to usher in the universal manifestation of the kingdom, which had been seen by the favored disciples of the Mount.19 How gladly He would have then fully manifested Himself as King, and established His Kingdom among them, is shown by His words of tender yearning in Mat. 23:37-39:
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.”
He came in His Father's name; but the Israelites to whom He spoke would not receive Him.20
(17) Rev. 6:16. And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the lamb;
17. For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand ? (18) Luke 20:20.
And they watched him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the gover nor.
(19) Mat. 17:9. And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man,
until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
2 Pet. 1:16. For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
(20) John 5:43. I am como in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall