« PreviousContinue »
trye Church, which is not of the night, being watch full and prayerful, will be accounted worthy to escape it, by the Rapture, and to stand before the Son of Man,? while a third part of Israel will be brought through it, and for the elect's sake the days of this culminating tribulation shall be shortened by the revelation of Christ.10 From Isa., chapters 24 to 28, an idea may be gained of the terrible character of this period, during which Antichrist will also be revealed (see p. 107). Some, especially from the remnant of Israel, will accept of Christ and become His witnesses, and be slain by Antichrist. These we call the tribulation saints, who are to be raised at the close of the great tribulation, as the gleanings of the great harvest of the first resurrection.
The Resurrection. In regard to the Resurrection, we would say that the literal rendering of 1 Cor. 15:23, is “but each one in his own band.”
It seems plain that the resurrection of those "who are Christ's at His coming,” includes both those who constitute the Bride, who are raised at the Rapture, when Christ
the works of him that sent me, while it is day : the night cometh, when no man can work.
Luke 17:34. I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
(6) 1 Thes. 5:4. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
(7) Luke 21:36. therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall eome to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
Also Rev. 3:10.
(8) Zech. 13:9. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried : they shall call on my name, and i will hear them: I will say, It is my people; and they shall say, The Lord is my God.
(9) Mat. 24:22. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved : but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
(10) 2 Thes. 1:7. And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels.
2 Thes. 2:8. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming.
comes into the air; and the Old Testament saints,11 the friends of the Bridegroom,12 who doubtless are raised in a different band from the Church, see Rev. 6:9-11,13 and also those who believe and suffer during the tribulation, 14 who will be raised at the Revelation (when Christ comes to the earth), to take part with Him in the Millennial Kingdom.15
(11) Job 19:25. For I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the iatter day upon the earth:
26. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27. Whom I shall see for mysell, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Isa. 26:19. Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.
Hos. 13:14. I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction : repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.
Ezek. 37:12. Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.
13. And ye shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,
14. And shall put my Spirit in you, and ye shall live; and I shall place you in your Own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.
Also Heb. 11:39-40.
selves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
29. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice : this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
(13) Rev. 6:9. And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held :
10. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11. And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow seryants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
(14) Rev. 13:15. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many
as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
(15) Rev. 20:4. And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither bad received
This latter we represent by “R. T." on the diagram.
Then, the great harvest of the first Resurrection-or the Resurrection of Life-includes:
The second Resurrection, or Resurrection of Judgment,16 occurs after the Millennium, and includes the remaining dead.17
Judgment. We often hear Post-millennialists use the expression "General Judgment," thereby conveying the idea of some future day in which all mankind will simultaneously appear before God to be judged.
his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands : and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were inished. This is the first resurrection.
6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Also Rom. 11:15.
(16) John 5:29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that kave done
evil, unto the resurrection of damnation (judgment).
(17) Rev. 20:12. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God: and the books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man accord. ing to their works.
14. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
The expression is not in the Scriptures. Pre-millennialists believe that the Judgment is general, only in the sense that all are judged-but not all at the same time.
The Judgment of believers, as sinners, is past, being accomplished in Christ on the cross.
"He that heareth my word, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation (Greek, Judgment); but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24. See also John 3:17-19 (R. V.) Judged instead of condemned.18
There is a Judgment day coming, not a day of twentyfour hours, but a long series of years. Day is used to designate such a period in 2 Cor. 6:2; Eph. 6:13, and Heb. 3:8.19 The "Hour" in John 5:25, has been over eighteen centuries long. So “the hour" in John 5:28 may be centuries of years.
This "Day of Judgment"a is also called "The Day of the Lord,''"
,The Last Day,” and “The Great Day." It is ushered in with plagues20 and closes in fire, 21 bea Mat. 10:15; 11:22; 11:24; 12:36; Mar. 6:11; 2 Pet. 2:9; 3:7; 1 John 4:17.
b Isa. 2:12; 13:6, 9; 34:8; Lam. 2:22; Ezk. 13:5; Joel 1:15; 2:1; 3:14; Amos 5:18; Obd. 15; Zeph. 1:7, 8, 18; 2:2, 3; Zech. 14:1; 1 Cor. 5:5; 2 Cor. 1:14; 1 Thes. 5:2; 2 Pet. 3:10.
c John 6:39, 40, 44, 54; 11:24; 2 Tim. 3:1.
d Jer. 30:7; Hos. 1:11; Joel 2:11, 31; Zeph. 1:14; Mal. 4:5; Jude 6; Rev. 6:17; 16:14; Acts 2:20.
(18) John 3:17. For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.
18. He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not bath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(19) 2 Cor. 6:2. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
Eph. 6:13. Wherefore take
unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Heb. 3:8. Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness.
(20) 2 Thes. 1:6. Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to
recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
7. And to you who are trou. bled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8. In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9. Who shall be punished with
tween which lies a long season of the "sure mercies of
or the Millennium.23 In it there will be four visible judgments, in the following order:
This is not on earth. Compare 1 Thes. 4:13-18, with 2 Thes. 1:6-10; Rev. 19:11-16. See (20) (32) and (33).
These glorified Saints receive their judgment undeniably before that of the ungodly. See Mat. 25:14-30. The
everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power ;
10. When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
Also Rev. 19:11-21.
(21) Rev. 20:10. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of ire and brimstone, where the beast and the false propbet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
15. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (22) Isa. 55:3.
Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
sure mercies of David.
Acts 13:34. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
(23) Rev. 20:4. And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads,
or in their hands : and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection,
6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection : on such the second death hath no power, but they shall bé priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
(24) 1 Cor. 4:5. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
1 Cor. 3:13. Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15. If any map's work all be burned, he shall suffer loss : but he himself shall be saved ; yet so as by fire.
2 Cor. 5:10. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
Also Rom. 14:10-12.