« PreviousContinue »
again,26 created anew in Christ Jesus,27 and made "joint heirs" with Him.28 The flesh proflteth nothing. The Spirit quickeneth.29
Paul in this chapter (1 Cor. 15) is treating of the subject of the resurrection which he proves to be so important, that without it, we could not inherit, or become possessed of the kingdom of God. "Flesh and blood" he says cannot inherit it, and therefore he shows that at the resurrection, our bodies of corruptible flesh and blood, which have died, shall be raised in incorruption and immortality. And the bodies of those who are living at that time shall be changed and "fashioned like unto His glorious body."30 Now, in our flesh and blood, we are bearing the image of Adam, the first man, "which is of the earth, earthy." But at the resurrection we shall be changed so as to "bear the image of the heavenly" "the second man," "the Lord from heaven."31
(26) John 3:3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
(27) Eph. 2:10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
(28) Rom. 8:15. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint
heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
(29) John 6:63. It is the Spirit that quickeneth ;. the flesh proflteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(30) Phil. 3 :20. For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21. Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even, to subdue all things unto himself.
(31) 1 Cor. 15:45. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48. As is the earthy, such ore
And He who raised up Christ from the dead, and who hath given us the Spirit of adoption (sonship) whereby we become heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, will, by His Spirit that dwelleth in us, also quicken (or make alive) your mortal bodies.32 Then, and then only, can we inherit,33 or come into possession of the kingdom,34 which God hath promised to give unto us.35 Hence, we see the vital importance of the resurrection, without which we could not inherit the kingdom of God," verse 50. The evident purpose of this objection is to support the assertion made by Post-millenialists that the kingdom is only spiritual and that there is nothing literal or material in it. But Paul says nothing of the kind and his whole argument is entirely to the contrary. For he asserts that our trw/1a (soma— body) which is sown in corruption, dishonor and weakness, will be raised in ineorruption, glory and power, or if living, will be changed in the twinkling of an eye.36 In these glorified bodies we shall "inherit the kingdom prepared
*Here let it be noticed is another evidence that the Kingdom is yet future.
they also that are earthy: and as the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
(32) Rom. 8:11. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raiseth up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
(33) 1 Cor. 15:50. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit ineorruption.
(34) Dan. 7:22. Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the Most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
(35) Luke 12:32. Fear not,
little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
(36) 1 Cor. 15:42. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it is raised in ineorruption:
43. It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power:
44. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
51. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53. For this corruptible must put on ineorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. for" lies "from the foundation of the world."37 For Christ the rightful heir of all things38 will be there and we shall be there to reign with Him.30
And He will have his glorified body, His body that was raised40 and ascended41 and entered into heaven.42
The glorified body which Stephen saw there,43 and which Paul saw (Acts 9:5) and also John, Rev. 1:13.
The body which bears the scars of the cross;44 "A Lamb as it had been slain." Yes, He will return in the flesh. Acts 1:11. The true reading of 2 John 7, is, "who confess not Jesus Christ coming* in the flesh." See also Isa. 63: 1-6, and Rev. 19:11-16. And "we know that when He shall appear, we shall be like Him." 1 John 3:2. Therefore it is clear, that we, in these same bodies, changed into the image of Christ's glorious body, shall inherit the Kingdom of God.
*Gr. hx'^'yo" coming. See page 200.
(37) Mat. 25:34. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
(38) Mat. 21:38. But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.
Heb. 1:2. Hath at the end of these days spoken unto us in his Son, whom he appointeth heir of all things, through whom also he made the 'worlds.
*Gr. ages. Comp. 1 Tim. 1:17.
Also 1 Tim. 6:15.
(39) 2 Tim. 2 :12. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us.
Also Rom. 8 :17; John 17 :24
(40) Luke 24:39. Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
(41) Acts 1:9. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
(42) Heb. 9:24. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.
Also Heb. 4:14.
(43) Acts 7:55. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God.
(44) Rev. 5 :6. And I beheld, and, Io, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
No. VUL The Work of the Holy Spirit a Failure.
It is objected that this doctrine disparages the work of the Holy Spirit.
Not so! For what is the work of the Holy Spirit? He is gathering the bride. He teaches, guides, and comforts her,45 until she is presented to Christ.46
At the same time he reproves the world of sin, and of righteousness, and judgment. John 16:8.
He may be grieved,47 resisted,48 and quenched49 now, but He will not always strive with man.50 His present work will be finished, and the King of kings and Lord of lords will come forth with the armies of heaven to subdue His enemies (Rev. 19) and finish the work.51
(45) John 14:17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 16:13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
(46) Eph. 5:25. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26. That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27. That he might present it to himself a glorious church,
not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
(47) Eph. 4:30. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
(48) Acts 7:51. Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
(49) 1 Thes. 5:19. Quench not the Spirit.
(50) Gen. 6 :3. And the Lord said. My Spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
(51) Rev. 19:11. And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
It was "the Spirit of God," which "moved upon the face of the waters" in the beginning (Gen. 1:2), and we believe He had a part in all the work of creation, Gen. 1:26. He strove with sinners before the flood, Gen. 6:3. He spake by the prophets, Acts 1:16; 2 Pet. 1:21. He was specially granted unto Joseph and others. Gen. 41:38; Ex. 31:3; Num. 11:17; 24:2; 27:18; 2 Kings 2:9, etc. In short, He has been engaged in all the work of creation and redemption. We do not believe that His work is a failure because of the flood, nor because the Jews have rejected Christ, and as natural branches, have been broken off. Rom. 11:20. Neither do we believe His work will be a failure, though the preaching of the gospel in the present dispensation shall only result in the salvation of "some."52 We feel sure that He shall have a part in the glory and triumph of the millennial dispensation, for even the Israelites shall then have a new Spirit within them.53 And the nations are to be ruled, in peace 'and righteousness, by Him upon whom the Spirit of the Lord doth rest.01
15. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations, and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16. And he hath on his yesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
Rom. 9:28. For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
(52) Luke 13:23. Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
24. Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord,
open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are.
1 Cor. 9 :22. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
(53) Ezek. 11:19. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh.
(54) Isa. 11:2. And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;
3. And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: