« PreviousContinue »
Corpora fundat humi, et numerum cum navibus æquet.
O socii! neque enim ignari sumus ante malorum;
Talia voce refert; curisque ingentibus æger
Et jam finis erat: quum Jupiter, æthere summo
d 200 c
ƒ 220 7
205. Where was Latium? Give its derivation, the people who successively inhabited it, its principal towns, rivers, and the name of the king who ruled over it when Æneas arrived in Italy. 207. Vosmet. What influence has met attached to this pronoun? 209. What is defective in spes? In what respect does it differ from expectatio? 210. Parse dapibus. Distinguish from epulce, epulum, convivium, and comissatio. 211. What parts of a carcass were tergus, costa, viscus? 215. In what voice is implentur? Who was Bacchus? Explain the Bacchanalia and Bacchantes. 218. If seu be twice in the same sentence, is there any difference of meaning in each? If a single seu, what is the translation? Is there any difference between seu and sive? 223. What trees and animals were sacred to Jupiter? What victims were sacrificed in his honour at Rome and Athens respectively?
Despiciens mare velivolum, terrasque jacentis,
Nunc eadem fortuna viros, tot casibus actos,
Illyricos penetrare sinus atque intima tutus
226. After whom was Libya named, and in what sense is it used by the poets? 228. Parse nitentis. Give a verb resembling it. 229. Of what was Venus the goddess? Under what representation was she worshipped? What flowers, fruits, birds, fishes, and month of the year were sacred to her? What part did she take in the contest for the golden apple? 233. Why is clauditur used and not claudatur? 236. Give the eonstruction and root of ditione. What is defective in its declension? 241. What governs laborum? Translate labores solis and labores luna. 248. Nomen genti. What name was given to this band of followers? 250. Give the root of arx. Translate arx coeli, septem arces, and arx Parnassi. 253. Give the other form of honos, and instances of other nouns having the same peculiarity.
Voltu, quo cœlum tempestatesque serenat,
Quæ mare nunc terrasque metu coelumque fatigat, 280 p
255. Give the derivation of voltus, an ts synonymes. 258. Parse cernes, and give another verb with the same perf. and sup. 264. Give the synonymes of mania and its derivation. Parse fabor, remordet, movebo, geret, contundet, ponet, and give derivatives from each. 265. What is meant by summa cestas, adulta æstas, iniens or nova æstas? What are astas and æstus? Cognomen. How many names do the Romans seem to have borne in the time of Romulus? Explain the meaning of prænomen, cognomen, nomen, and agnomen in the name of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus. 271. At the foot of what hill was Alba Longa built? 272. Give the genealogy of Hector, and the post he held in the Trojan army. 274. Why is Ilia called sacerdos? What other offices in the priesthood does this word include? 276. What people gave Mars the name of Mavors? Who built the principal temple to his honour at Rome? 279. Give the composition of Quin. After what verbs is it used? 281. Parse fatigat, referet, fovebit, and give derivatives from each. 282. Explain toga. toga prætexta, toga picta or palmata, toga pulla, toga virilis, and tunica.
Quum domus Assaraci Phthiam clarasque Mycenas
Hæc ait: et Maia genitum demittit ab alto,
Virginis os habitumque gerens, et virginis arma
289. Spoliis orientis. What region in the East is referred to? 292. What Roman king first dedicated a temple to Fides, and what was offered on her altars? Who was Vesta? What month of the year was sacred to her, and what flowers? 297. Why was Mercury called Genitum Maia? What were the Petasus, Talaria, Herpe, and Caduceus? 298. Compare novus. Translate nova res, studere novis rebus; novus homo, and nove tabulæ. 306. Why are exire and explorare in the inf.? 307. Account for the construction of vento and oras. 308. Videt has the last syllable long by the arsis. Explain the term. How many laws have generally been observed by Virgil in making use of this license? 315. In gerens there is a triple zeugma. Give the meaning of the term.
Spartanæ; vel qualis equos Threïssa fatigat
330 g b
Tum Venus: Haud equidem tali me dignor honore: 335 7 Virginibus Tyriis mos est gestare pharetram, Purpureoque alte suras vincire cothurno. Punica regna vides, Tyrios, et Agenoris urbem: Sed fines Libyci, genus intractabile bello. Imperium Dido, Tyria, regit, urbe profecta, Germanum fugiens. Longa est injuria, longæ Ambages: sed summa sequar fastigia rerum. Huic conjunx Sychæus erat, ditissimus agri Phœnicum, et magno miseræ dilectus amore: Cui pater intactam dederat, primisque jugârat
340 o f
320. What case is genu? and why? Account for sinus being acc. 321. What does inquit introduce in a sentence? 323. Parse and give the composition of Succinctam. Translate Carthago succincta portubus. What goddess was called Pharetrata Dea? 327. Why is memorem subj.? 331. Give the etymology of tandem. Distinguish it from demum, denique, and postremo. 334. What did the original ara consist of? In what part of Rome were the are placed? Give the root of hostia, and distinguish from victima. 336. Where was Tyre? How many cities were of the same name? Give some account of it in the times of Nebuchadnezzar, Alexander the Great, the Crusaders, and its condition at the present time. 340. Give the various names of Dido, her genealogy, and the reason why she left her fatherland. 344. Parse dilectus. Distinguish Diligo, dēligo, and de-ligo. 345. What is meant by primis ominibus? Which of the gods presided over marriage?