Christian Inscriptions in the Irish Language, Volume 1

Front Cover
Margaret Stokes
Printed at the University Press, for the Royal historical and archaeological association of Ireland, 1872 - Art

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 42 - And three Scots came to king Alfred in a boat without any oars from Ireland, whence they had stolen away, because they desired for the love of God to be in a state of pilgrimage, they recked not where. The boat in which they came was made of two hides and a half ; and they took with them provisions sufficient for seven days ; and then about the seventh day they came on shore in Cornwall, and soon after went to king Alfred. Thus they were named : Dubslane, and Macbeth, and Maelinmun.
Page 48 - The saint, to whom the well was dedicated, is believed to have migrated from Scotland to France early in the seventh century, and to have been held in much esteem there. From Butler's " Lives of the Saints " we get the curious information that " the name fiacre was first given to hackney coaches, because hired carriages were first made use of for the convenience of pilgrims who went from Paris to visit the shrine of this saint.
Page 8 - Leth-Manchain, in Dealbhna-Mhec-Cochlain. His relics are at the same place in a shrine, which is beautifully covered with boards on the inside, and with bronze outside them, and very beautifully carved.
Page 3 - Kiada, king of Aradh; a silver chalice with a burnishing of gold upon it, with an engraving by the daughter of Ruaidhri Ua Conchobhair; and the silver cup of Ceallach, successor of Patrick.
Page 9 - Bishop and Abbot of Louth, died in Inis-enagh in 898, having "left Cluain in consequence of the veneration in which he was held there, for the neighbours worshipped him as a prophet, so that he went to seek for solitude in Lough Ree.
Page 3 - Ireland), and an embroidering of gold was carried over it by him in as good a style as a relic was ever covered in Ireland.
Page 74 - Ua-Cellin, of the Ui Fiachrach Aidhne, comarb of Ciaran and Coman, and comarb of Tuahn greiue, by whom the great church of Tuaim-greine and its cloigtech were constructed, sapiens et senex et episcopus quievit in Christo.
Page 67 - Clonmacnois,' the first that invited a party of the poor of Cluain at Iseal Chiarain, and who presented twenty cows of his own to it. Of this it was said — 0 Conn of Cluain ! thou wert heard from Erinn in Alban ; 0 head of dignity ! it will not be easy to plunder thy church.
Page 4 - Bridget. the will of God, that what souls harboured in the bodies buried under that dust, may never be adjudged to damnation, wherefore those of the said blood, have divided the churchyard amongst themselves, by the consent of Ryan and his holy clerks.
Page 31 - O'. The O'Neills of Ulster took their surname from Niall Glundubh, Monarch of Ireland, killed by the Danes in the year 919; the O'Briens of Thomond, took theirs from Brian Borumha, Monarch of Ireland, slain at the battle of Clontarf in the year 1014 ; and it will be seen, that the ancestors of the most distinguished Irish families, whose names have been preserved in the surnames of their descendants, flourished from the year 900 to 950, or 1000. A few exceptions will, however, be found, as in the...

Bibliographic information