« PreviousContinue »
TUESDAY, December 18, 1883. 2 to 5 P.M.
PATHOLOGY AND PRACTICE OF PHYSIC. II.
1. GIVE a short clinical description of Pseudo-hypertrophic paralysis. Describe in their order the several degenerative changes of the structures involved.
2. In what morbid conditions, other than acute rheumatism, is pericarditis met with? What are the earliest physical signs of effusion within the pericardial sac; and in what conditions may these signs be concealed or modified?
3. State the main arguments for and against the identity of croup and diphtheria, giving your own conclusions upon the subject with the facts on which they are based.
4. Distinguish between hæmaturia and hæmatinuria (hæmoglobinuria). Give a short sketch of the latter affection, including its varieties, provocatives and microscopic characters of urine.
5. Describe the clinical features of ulcer of the stomach, show how it is to be distinguished from the diseases that resemble it, and give the general principles on which it should be treated.
6. Describe pemphigus, and mention the diseases it may resemble in its later stages.
WEDNESDAY, Dec. 19, 1883. 2.30 to 4.30 P.M.
1. How would you distinguish feigned from real mania?
2. How would you determine that red stains found on clothes were produced by blood, and not by other agents? Mention some of the latter.
3. What are the symptoms and post-mortem appearances in cases of poisoning by carbonic acid?
What restorative treatment should be employed?
4. Discuss the value of the hydrostatic test as a proof of live birth.
5. What is "the Wool-sorter's Disease"?
From what disease of animals is it supposed to derive its origin? Give some general account of this disease of animals, and describe particularly the means that have been devised for its prevention.
THURSDAY, December 20, 1883. 9 A.M.
I. WRITE prescriptions :
1. For treatment of acute extensive Eczema in (1) a fairly robust person, and (2) a weakly person; including external treatment.
2. For an astringent mixture suitable for an infant, 8 months old, suffering from Diarrhoea.
3. For an emetic (i) in case of poisoning with toadstool; and (ii) in case of severe Bronchitis.
II. Set down the respective doses for adults, and for infants of one year old, of the following drugs:
Pulv. Creta aromat. cum Opio.
Tincture of Belladonna (for Whooping Cough).
SECOND SPECIAL EXAMINATION IN THEOLOGY FOR THE ORDINARY B.A. DEGREE.
FRIDAY, November 30, 1883. 9-12.
(A) THE EPISTLE TO THE PHILIPPIANS.
1. GIVE St Paul's teaching in this Epistle on Judaising and Antinomian tendencies, showing in what relation the passage containing this teaching stands to the rest of the Epistle. What are the characteristics of this Epistle as compared with the other Epistles of the Captivity?
2. Describe briefly the geographical position and the political status of Philippi, and the circumstances attending St Paul's first visit to it. How are these alluded to in this Epistle?
3. Translate :
Παῦλος καὶ Τιμόθεος, δοῦλοι Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ, πᾶσιν τοῖς ἁγίοις ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν Φιλίπποις σὺν ἐπισκόποις καὶ διακόνοις.
What inference can be drawn from this and other passages in the New Testament as to the comprehensiveness of the primitive Church and as to the Orders of Ministers within it?
4. Translate, with notes on the words and phrases between asterisks only:
(α) καὶ τοῦτο προσεύχομαι, ἵνα ἡ ἀγάπη ὑμῶν ἔτι μᾶλλον καὶ μᾶλλον περισσεύῃ ἐν *ἐπιγνώσει καὶ πάσῃ αἰσθήσει,* εἰς τὸ δοκιμάζειν ὑμᾶς τὰ *διαφέροντα,* ἵνα ἦτε εἰλικρινεῖς καὶ ἀπρόσκοποι εἰς ἡμέραν Χριστοῦ, *πεπληρωμένοι καρπὸν δικαιοσύνης* τὸν διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ εἰς δόξαν καὶ ἔπαινον Θεοῦ. Explain clearly εἰλικρινεῖς and ἀπρόσκοποι.
(β) πάντα ποιεῖτε χωρὶς γογγυσμῶν καὶ διαλογισμῶν, ἵνα γένησθε ἄμεμπτοι καὶ ἀκέραιοι, τέκνα Θεοῦ ἄμωμα μέσον γενεᾶς σκολιᾶς καὶ διεστραμμένης, ἐν οἷς φαίνεσθε ὡς φωστῆρες ἐν κόσμῳ, λόγον ζωῆς ἐπέχοντες, εἰς καύχημα ἐμοὶ * εἰς ἡμέραν Χριστοῦ,* ὅτι οὐκ εἰς κενὸν ἔδραμον οὐδὲ εἰς κενὸν ἐκοπίασα.
Explain the synonyms in the above, and the allusion to the Old Testament.
(c) *Χαίρετε ἐν Κυρίῳ πάντοτε πάλιν ἐρῶ, χαίρετε. *τὸ ἐπιεικὲς ὑμῶν* γνωσθήτω πᾶσιν ἀνθρώποις. *ὁ Κύριος ἐγγύς*. μηδὲν μεριμνᾶτε, ἀλλ ̓ ἐν παντὶ τῇ *προσευχῇ καὶ τῇ δεήσει* μετ ̓ εὐχαριστίας τὰ αἰτήματα ὑμῶν γνωριζέσθω πρὸς τὸν Θεόν. καὶ ἡ εἰρήνη τοῦ Θεοῦ ἡ ὑπερέχουσα πάντα νοῦν φρουρήσει
τὰς καρδίας ὑμῶν καὶ τὰ νοήματα ὑμῶν ἐν Χριστῷ ̓Ιησοῦ. Τὸ λοιπόν, ἀδελφοί, ὅσα ἐστὶν ἀληθῆ, ὅσα σεμνά, ὅσα δίκαια, ὅσα ἁγνά, ὅσα προσφιλῆ, ὅσα εὔφημα, εἴ τις ἀρετὴ καὶ εἴ τις ἔπαινος, ταῦτα λογίζεσθε.
Explain each of the adjectives and substantives in the last sentence.
5. Translate and explain, giving the substance of the context in each case: (α) καὶ μὴ πτυρόμενοι ἐν μηδενὶ ὑπὸ τῶν ἀντικειμένων· ἦτις ἐστὶν αὐτοῖς ἔνδειξις ἀπωλείας, ὑμῶν δὲ σωτηρίας, καὶ τοῦτο ἀπὸ Θεοῦ.
(6) Ὥστε, ἀγαπητοί μου, καθὼς πάντοτε ὑπηκούσατε, μὴ ὡς ἐν τῇ παρουσίᾳ μου μόνον, ἀλλὰ νῦν πολλῷ μᾶλλον ἐν τῇ ἀπουσίᾳ μου, μετὰ φόβου καὶ τρόμου τὴν ἑαυτῶν σωτηρίαν κατεργάζεσθε· Θεὸς γάρ ἐστιν ὁ ἐνεργῶν ἐν ὑμῖν καὶ τὸ θέλειν καὶ τὸ ἐνεργεῖν ὑπὲρ τῆς εὐδοκίας.
Paraphrase this so as to bring out the implied teaching on Faith and Works and Grace and Freewill.
(c) ἀλλὰ εἰ καὶ σπένδομαι ἐπὶ τῇ θυσίᾳ καὶ λειτουργίᾳ τῆς πίστεως ὑμῶν, χαίρω καὶ συγχαίρω πᾶσιν ὑμῖν.
(α) εἴ πως καταντήσω εἰς τὴν ἐξανάστασιν τὴν ἐκ νεκρῶν.
6. Explain the following words and phrases (with special reference to their meaning in the passages in which they occur):
πολιτεύεσθε-συναθλοῦντες τῇ πίστει—ἀγῶνα—συμμορφιζόμενος τῷ θα νάτῳ αὐτοῦἀποκαραδοκίαν—κατ' ἐριθείαν καὶ κενοδοξίαν—εἰς λόγον δόσεως καὶ λήμψεως—ἅπαξ καὶ δίς—συνκοινωνήσαντές μου τῇ θλίψει—οἱ ἐκ τῆς Καίσαρος οἰκίας.
Illustrate the last phrase from any other Epistle of St Paul.
7. Retranslate into Greek :
(α) Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye are otherwise minded, even this shall God reveal unto you: only, whereunto we have already attained, by that same rule let us walk.
(3) Yea, I beseech thee also, true yokefellow, help these women, for they laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
(B) THE FIRST EPISTLE OF ST PETER.
1. GIVE any parallels which occur in this Epistle to St Peter's speeches in the Acts of the Apostles.
2. Discuss the indications which the Epistle affords as to the place and date of its writing.
3. Give the substance of St Peter's precepts to Servants.