« PreviousContinue »
sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his 11 23. And Jesus walked in the temple in own sheep by name, and leadeth them | Solomon's porch. out.
| 24. Then came the Jews round about 4. And when he putteth forth his own | him, and said unto him, How long dost sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep | thou make us to doubt? If thou be the follow him: for they know his voice. Christ, tell us plainly.
5. And a stranger will they not follow, 25. Jesus answered them, I told you, and but will flee from him: for they know not ye believed not: the works that I do in the voice of strangers.
my Father's name, they bear witness of me. 6. This parable spake Jesus unto them: 1 26. But ye believe not, because ye are but they understood not what things they | not of my sheep, as I said unto you. were which he spake unto them.
27. My sheep hear my voice, and I 7. Then said Jesus unto them again, know them, and they follow me: Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door 28. And I give unto them eternal life; of the sheep.
and they shall never perish, neither shall 8. All that ever came before me are any man pluck them out of my hand. thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not 29. My Father, which gave them me, is hear them.
greater than all; and no man is able to 9. I am the door: by me if any man pluck them out of my Father's hand. enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in 30. J and my Father are one. and out, and find pasture.
31. Then the Jews took up stones again 10. The thief cometh not, but for to to stone him. steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am 32. Jesus answered them, Many good come that they might have life, and that works have I shewed you from my Father; they might have it more abundantly. for which of those works do ye stone me?
11. I am the good shepherd : the good 33. The Jews answered him, saying, shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. For a good work we stone thee not; but
12. But he that is an hireling, and not || for blasphemy; and because that thou, bethe shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, | ing a man, makest thyself God. seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the || 34. Jesus answered them, Is it not writsheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catchethten in your law, I said, Ye are gods? them, and scattereth the sheep.
35. If he called them gods, into whom 13. The hireling fleeth, because he is an the word of God came, and the scripture hireling, and careth not for the sheep. cannot be broken;
14. I am the good shepherd, and know 36. Say ye 'of him, whom the Father my sheep, and am known of mine. hath sanctified, and sent into the world,
15. As the Father knoweth me, even Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am so know I the Father: and I lay down the Son of God ? my life for the sheep.
37. If I do not the works of my Father, 16. And other sheep I have, which are believe me not. not of this fold: them also I must bring, 38. But if I do, though ye believe not and they shall hear my voice; and there me, believe the works : that ye may know, shall be one fold, and one shepherd. and believe, that the Father is in me, and
17. Therefore doth my Father love me, || I in him. because I lay down my life, that I might 39. Therefore they sought again to take take it again.
| him: but he escaped out of their hand; 18. No man taketh it from me, but 1 40. And went away again beyond Jorlay it down of myself. I have power to || dan, into the place where John at first baplay it down, and I have power to take it tized; and there he abode. again. This commandment have I re- 41. And many resorted unto him, and ceived of my Father.
said, John did no miracle: but all things 19. There was a division therefore again that John spake of this man were true. among the Jews for these sayings. Il 42. And many believed on him there. 20. And many of them said, He hath a
CHAP. XI. devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?
The sickness and death of Lasarus; Jesus raiseth 21. Others said, These are not the him to life. 47 The Pharisees hold a council against words of him that hath a devil. Can a Christ; Caiaphas prophesieth. devil open the eyes of the blind ?
| 1. N OW a certain man was sick, named 22. And it was at Jerusalem the feast N Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of of the dedication, and it was winter. Mary and her sister Martha.
2. (It was that Mary which anointed || soever thou wilt ask of God, God will the Lord with ointment, and wiped, his give it thee. feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus 23. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother was sick.)
shall rise again. 3. Therefore his sisters sent unto him, || 24. Martha saith unto him, I know that saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest he shall rise again in the resurrection at is sick.
the last day. When Jesus heard that, he said, This | 25. Jesus said unto her, I am the resickness is not unto death, but for the glory || surrection, and the life: he that believeth of God, that the Son of God might be glo- || in me, though he were dead, yet shall he rified thereby.
live: 5. Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sis 26. And whosoever liveth and believeth. ter, and Lazarus.
in me shall never die. Believest thou this? 6. When he had heard therefore that he || 27. She saith unto him, Yea, Lord : 1 was sick, he abode two days still in the believe that thou art the Christ, the Son same place where he was.
of God, which should come into the world. 7. Then after that saith he to his disci-|| 28. And when she had so said, she went ples, Let us go into Judea again.
her way, and called Mary her sister se8. His disciples say unto him, Master, || cretly, saying, The Master is come, and the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and calleth for thee. goest thou thither again ?
29. As soon as she heard that, she arose 9. Jesus answered, Are there not twelve | quickly, and came unto him. hours in the day? If any man walk in the 30. Now Jesus was not yet come into day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth || the town, but was in that place where the light of this world.
Martha met him. 10. But if a man walk in the night, he 31. The Jews then which were with stumbleth, because there is no light in her in the house, and comforted her, when him.
they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily 11. These things said he: and after and went out, followed her, saying, She that he saith unto them, Our friend Laza goeth unto the grave to weep there. rus sleepeth ; but I go, that I may awake 32. Then when Mary was come where him out of sleep.
Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at 12. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he || bis feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou sleep, he shall do well.
| hadst been here, my brother had not 13. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: | died. but they thought that he had spoken of l 33. When Jesus therefore saw her weeptaking of rest in sleep.
ing, and the Jews also weeping which came 14. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, | with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was Lazarus is dead.
troubled, 15. And I am glad for your sakes that 1 34. And said, Where have ye laid him ? was not there, to the intent ye may believe ; || They say unto him, Lord, come and see. nevertheless let us go unto him.
| 35. Jesus wept. 16. Then said Thomas, which is called | 36. Then said the Jews, Behold how he Didymus, unto his fellow-disciples, Let us | loved him! also go, that we may die with him.
37. And some of them said, Could not 17. Then when Jesus came, he found || this man, which opened the eyes of the that he had lain in the grave four days || blind, have caused that even this man already.
should not have died ? 18. Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusa- || 38. Jesus therefore again groaning in lem, about fifteen furlongs off:
himself, cometh to the grave. It was a 19. And many of the Jews came to cave, and a stone lay upon it. Martha and Mary, to comfort them con | 39. Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. cerning their brother.
Martha, the sister of bíin that was dead, 20. Then Martha, as soon as she heard | saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinkthat Jesus was coming, went and met | eth: for he hath been dead four days. him: but Mary sat still in the house. ' 40. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto .. 21. Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, || thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou II thou hadst been here, my brother had shouldest see the glory of God ? not died.
| 41. Then they took away the stone from 22. But I know, that even now, what-II the place where the dead was laid. And
name and came him ands alone, a
Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, ||
CHAP. XII. I thank thee that thou hast heard me. || 1 Jesus excuseth Mary anointing his feet. 10 The chief
42. And I knew that thou hearest me priests consult to kill Lasarus. 12 Christ rideth into always : but because of the people which I Jerusalem: 23 he foretelleth his death. stand by I said it, that they may believe | 1. THEN Jesus, six days before the that thou hast sent me.
| 1 passover came to Bethany, where 43. And when he thus had spoken, he || Lazarus was which had been dead, whom cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come he raised from the dead. forth!
12. There they made him a supper; and 44. And he that was dead came forth, Martha served: but Lazarus was one of bound hand and foot with grave-clothes: them that sat at the table with him. and his face was bound about with a 3. Then took Mary a pound of ointment napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the him, and let him go.
feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her 45. Then many of the Jews which came hair: and the house was filled with the to Mary, and had seen the things which odour of the ointment. Jesus did, believed on him.
4. Then saith one of his disciples, Judas 46. But some of them went their ways Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray to the Pharisees, and told them what him, things Jesus had done.
5. Why was not this ointment sold for 47. Then gathered the chief priests and three hundred pence, and given to the the Pharisees a council, and said, What do I poor? we? For this man doeth many mira 6. This he said, not that he cared for the cles.
poor; but because he was a thief, and had 48. If we let him thus alone, all men the bag, and bare what was put therein. will believe on him: and the Romans shall | 7. Then said Jesus, Let her alone: come and take away both our place and against the day of my burying hath she nation.
kept this. 49. And one of them, named Caiaphas, 8. For the poor always ye have with being the High Priest that same year, said you; but me ye have not always. unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
9. Much people of the Jews therefore 50. Nor consider that it is expedient for knew that he was there: and they came us, that one man should die for the people, not for Jesus' sake only, but that they and that the whole nation perish not. might see Lazarus also, whom he had
51. And this spake he not of himself: raised from the dead. but being High Priest that year, he prophe 10. But the chief priests consulted that sied that Jesus should die for that na- they might put Lazarus also to death; tion:
| 11. Because that by reason of him many 52. And not for that nation only, but that of the Jews went away, and believed on also he should gather together in one the Jesus. children of God that were scattered abroad. |12. On the next day much people that
53. Then from that day forth they took | were come to the feast, when they heard counsel together for to put him to death. || that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
54. Jesus therefore walked no more 13. Took branches of palm-trees, and openly among the Jews; but went thence went forth to meet him, and cried, Ho unto a country near to the wilderness, into sanna! blessed is the King of Israel that a city called Ephraim, and there continued cometh in the name of the Lord. with his disciples.
114. And Jesus, when he had found a 55. And the Jews' passover was nigh || young ass, sat thereon ; as it is written, at hand : and many went out of the coun- 15. Fear not, daughter of Sion : behold, try up to Jerusalem before the passover, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's colt. to purify themselves.
16. These things understood not his dis56. Then sought they for Jesus, and ciples at the first: but when Jesus was spake among themselves, as they stood in glorified, then remembered they that these the temple, What think ye, that he will things were written of him, and that they not come to the feast ?
had done these things unto him. 57. Now both the chief priests and the 1 17. The people therefore that was with Pharisees had given a commandment, || him, when he called Lazarus out of his that, if any man knew where he were, he || grave, and raised him from the dead, bare should shew it, that they might take him. record.
18. For this cause the people also met | 36. While ye have light, believe in the him, for that they heard that he had done light, that ye may be the children of light. this miracle.
These things spake Jesus, and departed, 19. The Pharisees therefore said among || and did hide himself from them. themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail 37. But though he had done so many nothing ? Behold, the world is gone after miracles before them, yet they believed not him.
on him: 20. And there were certain Greeks 38. That the saying of Esaias the prophet among them that came up to worship at might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, the feast :
|| who hath believed our report ? and to 21. The same came therefore to Philip, whom hath the arm of the Lord been rewhich was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and vealed ? desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Je-l. 39. Therefore they could not believe, sus.
because that Esaias said again, 22. Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: | 40. He hath blinded their eyes, and and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus. hardened their heart; that they should
23. And Jesus answered them, saying, | not see with their eyes, nor understand The hour is come, that the Son of man with their heart, and be converted, and 1 should be glorified.
should heal them. . to 24. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ex- 41. These things said Esaias, when he
cept a corn of wheat fall into the ground saw his glory, and spake of him. and die, it abideth alone : but if it die, it 42. Nevertheless among the chief rulers bringeth forth much fruit.
also many believed on him; but because of 25. He that loveth his life shall lose it; the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest and he that hateth his life in this world they should be put out of the synagogue. shall keep it unto life eternal.
| 43. For they loved the praise, of men 26. If any man serve me, let him follow more than the praise of God. me; and where I am, there shall also my | 44. Jesus cried and said, He that beservant be : if any man serve me, him will || lieveth on me, believeth not on me, but on my Father honour.
him that sent me. 27. Now is my soul troubled; and what || 45. And he that seeth me, seeth him shall I say ? Father, save me from this that sent me. hour: but for this cause came I unto this 46. I am come a light into the world, hour.
that whosoever believeth on me should not 28. Father, glorify thy name. Then abide in darkness. came there a voice from heaven, saying, I 47. And if any man hear my words, and have both glorified it, and will glorify it believe not, I judge him not: for I came again.
not to judge the world, but to save the 29. The people therefore, that stood by, || world. and heard it, said that it thundered: others | 48. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth said, An angel spake to him.
not my words, hath one that judgeth him: 30. Jesus answered and said, This voice the word that I have spoken, the same shall came not because of me, but for your sakes. I judge him in the last day.
31. Now is the judgment of this world: 49. For I have not spoken of myself; now shall the prince of this world be cast but the Father which sent me, he gave me out.
a commandment, what I should say, and 32. And I, if I be lifted up from the what I should speak. earth, will draw all men unto me.
50. And I know that his commandment 33. This he said, signifying what death is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak
therefore, even as the Father said unto me, 34. The people answered him, We have so I speak. heard out of the law that Christ abideth
CHAP. XIII. for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son 1 Jesus washeth his disciples' feet, 14 and exhorteth them of man must be lifted up ? Who is this Son
to humility and charity. of man ?
TOW before the feast of the passo35. Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a | ver, when Jesus knew that his hour little while is the light with you. Walk was come that he should depart out of this while ye have the light, lest darkness come world unto the Father, having loved his upon you: for he that walketh in dark own which were in the world, he lovesi ness knoweth not whither he goeth. Il them unto the end.
2. And supper being ended, (the devil | 21. When Jesus had thus said, he was having now put into the heart of Judas | troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him,) Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of
3. Jesus knowing that the Father had you shall betray me. given all things into his hands, and that he il 22. Then the disciples looked one on was come from God, and went to God; || another, doubting of whom he spake.
4. He riseth from supper, and laid aside! 23. Now there was leaning on Jesus' bohis garments; and took a towel, and girded som one of his disciples, whom Jesus lohimself.
| ved. 5. After that he poureth water into all 24. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to bason, and began to wash the disciples' him, that he should ask who it should be feet, and to wipe them with the towel of whom he spake. wherewith he was girded.
25. He then, lying on Jesus' breast, saith 6. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and unto him Lord, who is it? Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash 26. Jesus answered, He it is, to whom my feet?
I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. 7. Jesus answered and said unto him, ! And when he had dipped the sop, he What I do thou knowest not now; but gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Sithou shalt know hereafter.
mon. 8. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt ne- l 27. And after the sop,Satan entered into ver wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. doest, do quickly.
9. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, 28. Now no man at the table knew for not my feet only, but also my hands and what intent he spake this unto him. my head.
29. For some of them thought, because 10. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed,|| Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said needeth not save to wash his feet, but is unto him, Buy those things that we have clean every whit: and ye are clean, but need of against the feast; or, that he not all.
should give something to the poor.. 11. For he knew who should betray him; L 30. He then, having received the sop, therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.. went immediately out: and it was night.
12. So after he had washed their feet, | 31. Therefore, when he was gone out, and had taken his garments, and was set Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glori. down again, he said unto them, Know ye fied, and God is glorified in him. what I have done to you?
32. If God be glorified in him, God shall 13. Ye call me Master and Lord: and also glorify him in himself, and shall ye say well: for so I am.
straightway glorify him. 14. If I then, your, Lord and Master, 33. Little children, yet a little while 1 have washed your feet; ye also ought to I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as wash one another's feet.
I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye 15. For I have given you an example, cannot come ; so now I say to you. that ye should do as I have done to 34. A new commandment I give unto you.
you, That ye love one another; as I 16. Verily, yerily, I say unto you, The have loved you, that ye also love one servant is not greater than his Lord; nei- another. ther he that is sent greater than he that 35. By this shall all men know that ye sent him.
are my disciples, if ye have love one to 17. If ye know these things, happy are another. ye if ye do them.
36. Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, 18. I speak not of you all : I know whom whither goest thou ? Jesus answered him, I have chosen: but that the scripture may | Whither I go, thou canst not follow me be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me now; but thou shalt follow me afterhath lifted up his heel against me.
wards. 19. Now I tell you before it come, that, I 37. Peter said unto him, Lord, why can. when it is come to pass, ye may believe not I follow thee now? I will lay down that I am he. , '
my life for thy sake. 20. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He 38. Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay that receiveth, whomsoever I send, receiv- down thy life for my sake ? Verily, verily, eth me; and he that receiveth me, receiveth I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, him that sent me.
Il till thou hast denied me thrice