« PreviousContinue »
gold, of blue, and of purple, of scarlet, and || plate two rings of gold, and shalt put the fine twined linen, with cunning work. two rings on the two ends of the breastplate.
7. It shall have the two shoulder-pieces 24. And thou shalt put the two wreathen thereof joined at the two edges thereof; and chains of gold in the two rings which are on so it shall be joined together.
the ends of the breastplate. 8. And the curious girdle of the ephod, 25. And the other two ends of the two' which is upon it, shall be of the same, ac-wreathen chains thou shalt fasten in the two cording to the work thereof; even of gold, ouches, and put them on the shoulder-pieces of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine of the ephod before it. twined linen.
26. And thou shalt make two rings of 9. And thou shalt take two onyx-stones, gold, and thou shalt put them upon the two and grave on them the names of the children ends of the breastplate, in the border thereof, of Israel:
which is in the side of the ephod inward. 10. Six of their names on one stone, and 27. And two other rings of gold thou shalt the other six names of the rest on the other make, and shalt put them on the two sides stone, according to their birth
of the ephod underneath, toward the 11. With the work of an engraver in forepart thereof, over against the other stone, like the engravings of a signet, shalt coupling thereof, above the curious girdle thou engrave the two stones with the names of the ephod. of the children of Israel: thou shalt make 28. And they shall bind the breastplate them to be set in ouches of gold.
by the rings thereof unto the rings of the 12. And thou shalt put the two stones ephod with a lace of blue, that it may be upon the shoulders of the ephod, for stones above the curious girdle of the ephod, and of memorial unto the children of Israel. And that the breastplate be not loosed from the Aaron shall bear their names before the ephod. LORD upon his two shoulders for a memorial. *29. And Aaron shall bear the names
13. And thou shalt make ouches of gold; of the children of Israel in the breastplate
14. And two chains of pure gold at the of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth ends; of wreathen-work shalt thou make in unto the holy place, for a memorial before them, and fasten the wreathen chains to the the LORD continually. ouches.
30. And thou shall put in the breastplate 15. [ And thou shalt make the breast- of judgment the Urim and the Thummim ; plate of judgment with cunning work; after and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when the work of the ephod thou shalt make it; he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron of gold, of blue, and of purple, and of scar- shall bear the judgment of the children of let, and of fine twined linen, shalt thou Israel upon his heart before the LORD make it.
continually. 16. Foursquare it shall be, being doubled ; 31. And thou shalt make the robe of the a span shall be the length thereof, and a ephod all of blue. span shall be the breadth thereof.
| *32. And there shall be a hole in the top 17. And thou shalt set in it settings of of it, in the midst thereof: it shall have a stones, even four rows of stones : the first binding of woven work round about the row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and a car hole of it, as it were the hole of a haberbuncle: this shall be the first row.
geon, that it be not rent. 18. And the second row shall be an emer 33. And beneath, upon the hem of it, thou ald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
shalt make pomegranates of blue, and of 19. And the third row a ligure, an agate, purple, and of scarlet, round about the hem and an amethyst.
thereof; and bells of gold between them 20. And the fourth row a beryl, and an | round about: onyx, and a jasper : they shall be set in gold 34. A golden bell and a pomegranate, a in their enclosings.
Il golden bell and a pomegranate, upon the 21. And the stones shall be with the hem of the robe round about. names of the children of Israel, twelve, ac- 35. And it shall be upon Aaron to minis.' cording to their names, like the engravings ter; and his sound shall be heard when he of a signet ; every one with his name shall goeth in unto the holy place before the LORD, they be according to the twelve tribes. and when he cometh out, that he die not.
22. And thou shalt make upon the breast- 36. 1 And thou shalt make a plate of pure plate chains at the ends of wreathen-work gold, and grave upon it, like the engravings of of pure gold.
à signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD. 23. And thou shalt make upon the breast-|| 37. And thou shalt put it on a blue lace,
bow shall be cour rows of sin it settings of
that it may be upon the mitre: upon the 8. And thou shalt bring his sons, and fore-front of the mitre it shall be.
I put coats upon them. 38. And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead, 9. And thou shalt gird them with girdles, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy | Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on things which the children of Israel shall hal-them: and the priest's office shall be theirs low in all their holy gifts; and it shall be for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt conalways upon his forehead, that they may be secrate Aaron and his sons. accepted before the LORD.
10. And thou shalt cause a bullock to be 39. And thou shalt embroider the coat | brought before the tabernacle of the conof fine linen, and thou shalt make the mitregregation: and Aaron and his sons shall of fine linen, and thou shalt make the girdle put their hands upon the head of the bullock. of needle-work.
11. And thou shalt kill the bullock before 40. And for Aaron's sons thou shalt the LORD, by the door of the tabernacle of make coats, and thou shalt make for them the congregation. girdles, and bonnets shalt thou make for 12. And thou shalt take of the blood of them, for glory and for beauty.
the bullock, and put it upon the horns of 41. And thou shalt put them upon Aaron the altar with thy finger, and pour all the thy brother, and his sons with him; and blood beside the bottom of the altar. shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and 13. And thou shalt take all the fat that sanctify them, that they may minister unto covereth the inwards, and the caul that is me in the priest's office.
| above the liver, and the two kidneys, and 42. And thou shalt make them linen the fat that is upon them, and burn them breeches to cover their nakedness; from upon the altar. the loins even unto the thighs they shall 14. But the flesh of the bullock, and his reach
skin, and his dung, shalt thou burn with 43. And they shall be upon Aaron, and fire without the camp: it is a sin-offering. unon his sons. when they come in unto 15. Thou shalt also take one ram; and the tabernacle of the congregation, or when Aaron and his sons shall put their hands they come near unto the altar to minister upon the head of the ram. in the holy place; that they bear not ini | 16. And thou shalt slay the ram, and quity, and die. It shall be a statute for thou shalt take his blood, and sprinkle it ever unto him, and his seed after him. || round about upon the altar. CHAP. XXIX.
17. And thou shalt cut the ram in pieces, 1 The søerifice and ceremonies of consecrating the priests. I and wash the inwards of him, and his legs, 18 The continual burnt-offering: 45 God's promise to dueel among the children of Israel.
and put them unto his pieces, and unto his 1. AND this is the thing that thou shalt head.
A do unto them, to hallow them, to 18. And thou shalt burn the whole ram minister unto me in the priest's office: Take upon the altar: it is a burnt-offering unto one young bullock, and two rams without the LORD: it is a sweet savour, an offering blemish,
made by fire unto the LORD. 2. And unleavened bread, and cakes un 19. And thou shalt take the other ram; leavened tempered with oil, and wafers un- and Aaron and his sons shall put their leavened anointed with oil; of wheaten flour hands upon the head of the ram. shalt thou make them.
20. Then shalt thou kill the ram, and 3. And thou shalt put them into one take of his blood, and put it upon the tip basket, and bring them in the basket, with of the right ear of Aaron, and upon the tip the bullock and the two rams.
of the right ear of his sons, and upon the 4. And Aaron and his sons thou shalt bring thumb of their right hand, and upon the unto the door of the tabernacle of the con- great toe of their right foot, and sprinkle the gregation, and shalt wash them with water. blood upon the altar round about.
5. And thou shalt take the garments, and 21. And thou shalt take of the blood that put upon Aaron the coat, and the robe of is upon the altar, and of the anointing oil, the ephod, and the ephod, and the breast- and sprinkle it upon Aaron, and upon his plate, and gird him with the curious girdle | garments, and upon his sons, and upon the of the ephod:
garments of his sons with him: and he shall 6. And thou shalt put the mitre upon be hallowed, and his garments, and his sons, his head, and put the holy crown upon the mitre.
| 22. Also thou shalt take of the ram the 7. Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, fat and the rump, and the fat that covereth and pour it upon his head, and anoint him. | the inwards, and the caul above the liver
and the two kidneys, and the fat that is i bullock for a sin-offering for atonement: upon them, and the right shoulder; for it is and thou shalt cleanse the altar, when thou a ram of consecration:
hast made an atonement for it, and thou 23. And one loaf of bread, and one cake | shalt anoint it, to sanctify it. of oiled bread, and one wafer out of the 37. Seven days thou shalt make an atonebasket of the unleavened bread that is be- ment for the altar, and sanctify it; and it fore the LORD:
shall be an altar most holy: whatsoever 24. And thou shalt put all in the hands | toucheth the altar shall be holy. of Aaron, and in the hands of his sons, and 38. | Now this is that which thou shalt shalt wave them for a wave-offering before offer upon the altar; two lambs of the first the LORD.
year, day by day continually. 25. And thou shalt receive them of their 39. The one lamb thou shalt offer in the hands, and burn them upon the altar for a morning, and the other lamb thou shalt offer .burnt-offering, for a sweet savour before the || at even : LORD: it is an offering made by fire unto 40 And with the one lamb a tenth-deal the LORD.
of flour mingled with the fourth part of a 26. And thou shalt take the breast of the hin of beaten oil; and the fourth part of a ram of Aaron's consecration, and wave ithin of wine for a drink-offering.
for a wave-offering before the LORD: and 41. And the other lamb thou shalt offer it shall be thy part.
at even, and shalt do thereto according to 27. And thou shalt sanctify the breast the meat-offering of the morning, and acof the wave-offering, and the shoulder of the cording to the drink-offering thereof, for a heave-offering, which is waved, and which sweet savour, an offering made by fire unto is heaved up, of the ram of the consecration, the LORD. even of that which is for Aaron, and of that 42. This shall be a continual burnt-offerwhich is for his sons:
ing throughout your generations, at the door 28. And it shall be Aaron's and his sons' of the tabernacle of the congregation, beby a statute for ever from the children of fore the LORD; where I will meet you, to Israel; for it is a heave-offering: and it speak there unto thee. shall be a heave-offering from the children 43. And there I will meet with the chilof Israel of the sacrifice of their peace dren of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be offerings, even their heave-offering unto the sanctified by my glory. LORD.
44. And I will sanctify the tabernacle of 29. And the holy garments of Aaron the congregation, and the altar: I will sancshall be his sons' after him, to be anointed tify also both Aaron and his sons, to ministherein, and to be consecrated in them. ter to me in the priest's office.
30. And that son that is priest in his stead 45. And I will dwell among the children shall put them on seven days, when he co- of Israel, and will be their God. meth into the tabernacle of the congrega- 46. And they shall know that I am the tion, to minister in the holy place.
LORD their God, that brought them forth 31. And thou shalt take the ram of the out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell consecration, and seethe his flesh in the among them: I am the LORD their God. holy place.
· CHAP. XXX. 32. And Aaron and his sons shall eat the | 1 The altar of incense. 11 The ransom of souls. 18 The
brazen laver. 22 The holy anointing oil. 34 The comflesh of the ram, and the bread that is in the
position of the perfume. basket, by the door of the tabernacle of the || 1. AND thou shalt make an altar to burn congregation.
| A incense upon; of shittim-wood shalt 33. And they shall eat those things where- thou make it. with the atonement was made to conse- 2. A cubit shall be the length thereof, and crate and to sanctify them: but a stranger | a cubit the breadth thereof; foursquare shall shall not eat thereof, because they are holy. it be: and two cubits shall be the height
34. And if aught of the flesh of the con- thereof: the horns thereof shall be of the same. secrations, or of the bread, remain unto the 3. And thou shalt overlay it with pure morning, then thou shalt burn the remainder gold, the top thereof, and the sides thereof with fire:it shall not be eaten, because it is holy. round about, and the horns thereof; and
35. And thus shalt thou do unto Aaron, thou shalt make unto it a crown of gold and to his sons, according to all things round about. which I have commanded thee: seven days 4. And two golden rings shalt thou make shalt thou consecrate them.
to it under the crown of it, by the two cor36. And thou shalt offer every day all ners thereof; upon the two sides of it shalt
thou make it; and they shall be for places | 20. When they go into the tabernacle of for the staves to bear it withal.
the congregation they shall wash with water, 5. And thou shalt make the staves of that they die not; or when they come near shittim-wood, and overlay them with gold to the altar to minister, to burn offering
6. And thou shalt put it before the vail made by fire unto the LORD: that is by the ark of the testimony, before 21. So they shall wash their hands and the mercy-seat that is over the testimony, their feet, that they die not: and it shall be where I will meet with thee.
a statute for ever to them, even to him and 7. And Aaron shall burn thereon sweet to his seed, throughout their generations. incense every morning: when he dresseth | 22. Moreover, the LORD spake unto the lamps, he shall burn incense upon it. | Moses, saying,
8. And when Aaron lighteth the lamps ! 23. Take thou also unto thee principal at even, he shall burn incense upon it; a spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, perpetual incense before the LORD through- and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even out your generations.
| two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet 9. Ye shall offer no strange incense there- || calamus two hundred and fifty shekels, on, nor burnt-sacrifice, nor meat-offering ; | 24. And of cassia five hundred shekels, neither shall ye pour drink-offering thereon. after the shekel of the sanctuary, and of
10. And Aaron shall make an atonement oil-olive a hin: upon the horns of it once in a year with the 25. And thou shalt make it an oil of holy blood of the sin-offering of atonements : once | ointment, an ointment compound after the in the year shall he make atonement upon art of the apothecary: it shall be a holy it, throughout your generations : it is most | anointing oil. holy unto the LORD.
| 26. And thou shalt anoint the tabernacle 11. 1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, of the congregation therewith, and the ark saying,
of the testimony, 12. When thou takest the sum of the 27. And the table and all his vessels, children of Israel, after their number, then and the candlestick and his vessels, and shall they give every man a ransom for his the altar of incense, soul unto the LORD, when thou numberest | 28. And the altar of burnt-offering with them; that there be no plague among them all his vessels, and the laver and his foot. when thou numberest them.
29. And thou shalt sanctify them, that 13. This they shall give, every one that they may be most holy: whatsoever toucheth passeth among them that are numbered, || them shall be holy. half a shekel after the shekel of the sanc- l 30. And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his tuary: (a shekel is twenty gerahs :) a half sons, and consecrate them, that they may shekel shall be the offering of the LORD. minister unto me in the priest's office.
14. Every one that passeth among them 31. And thou shalt speak unto the children that are numbered, from twenty years old of Israel, saying, This shall be a holy anoint, and above, shall give an offering unto the ing oil unto me throughout your generations. LORD.
| 32. Upon man's flesh shall it not be 15. The rich shall not give more, and the poured; neither shall ye make any other poor shall not give less, than half a shekel, like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, when they give an offering unto the LORD, and it shall be holy unto you. to make an atonement for your souls. | 33. Whosoever compoundeth any like it,
16. And thou shalt take the atonement-|| or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranmoney of the children of Israel, and shalt ger, shall even be cut off from his people. appoint it for the service of the tabernacle|| 34. And the LORD said unto Moses, of the congregation; that it may be a me- Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and morial unto the children of Israel before the onycha, and galbanum ; these sweet spices, LORD, to make an atonement for your souls. with pure frankincense: of each shall there
17. And the LORD spake unto Moses, || be a like weight. saying,
35. And thou shalt make it a perfume, a 18. Thou shalt also make a laver of confection after the art of the apothecary, brass, and his foot also of brass, to wash tempered together, pure and holy: withal: and thou shalt put it between the Il 36. And thou shalt beat some of it very tabernacle of the congregation and the small, and put of it before the testimony in altar, and thou shalt put water therein: the tabernacle of the congregation, where I
19. For Aaron and his sons shall wash will meet with thee: it shall be unto you their hands and their feet thereat. Il most holy.
37. And as for the perfume which thou || in the sabbath-day, he shall surely be put shalt make, you shall not make to yourselves to death. according to the composition thereof: it | 16. Wherefore the children of Israel shall be unto thee holy for the LORD. shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sab
38. Whosoever shall make like unto that, || bath throughout their generations, for a perto smell thereto, shall even be cut off from petual covenant. his people.
17. It is a sign between me and the chilCHAP. XXXI.
dren of Israel for ever: for in six days the 2 Bezaleel and Aholiab are called, and made meet for the || LORD made heaven and earth, and on the work of the tabernacle. 12 The observalion of the sabbath is again commanded. 18 Moses receiveth the two tables. seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. 1. À ND the LORD spake unto Moses, | 18. 1 And he gave unto Moses, when he A saying,
had made an end of communing with him 2. See, I have called by name Bezaleel the | upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, son of Uri, the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah: | tables of stone, written with the finger of
3. And I have filled him with the spirit God. of God, in wisdom, and in understanding,
CHAP. XXXII. and in knowledge, and in all manner of || 1 The people, in the absence of Moses cause Aaron lo make a workmanship.
calf. 15 Moses cometh down with the tables: 19 He break
eth them : 20 He destroyeth the calf. 30 He prayeth for 4. To devise cunning works, to work in the people. gold, and in silver, and in brass,
1. AND when the people saw that Moses 5. And in cutting of stones, to set them, A delayed to come down out of the and in carving of timber, to work in all mount, the people gathered themselves tomanner of workmanship.
gether unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, 6. And I, behold, I have given with him make us gods, which shall go before us; for Aholiab the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe as for this Moses, the man that brought us of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not wise-hearted I have put wisdom, that they | what is become of him. may make all that I have commanded thee; 2. And Aaron said unto them, Break off
7. The tabernacle of the congregation, the golden ear-rings, which are in the ears • and the ark of the testimony, and the of your wives, of your sons, and of your mercy-seat that is thereupon, and all the daughters, and bring them unto me. furniture of the tabernacle,
3. And all the people brake off the golden 8. And the table and his furniture, and ear-rings which were in their ears, and the pure candlestick with all his furniture, I brought them unto Aaron. and the altar of incense,
4. And he received them at their hand, 9. And the altar of burnt-offering with all and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he his furniture, and the laver and his foot, had made it a molten calf: and they said,
10. And the clothes of service, and the These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought holy garments for Aaron the priest, and the thee up out of the land of Egypt. garments of his sons, to minister in the 5. And when Aaron saw it, he built an priest's office,
| altar before it; and Aaron made procla11. And the anointing oil, and sweet in- | mation, and said, To-morrow is a feast to cense for the holy place: according to all the LORD. that I have commanded thee shall they do. 6. And they rose up early on the morrow,
12. 1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, and offered burnt-offerings, and brought saying,
peace-offerings: and the people sat down 13. Speak thou also unto the children of to eat and to drink, and rose up to play. Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall |7. 1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Go, keep: for it is a sign between me and you get thee down; for thy people, which thou throughout your generations; that ye may broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify corrupted themselves : you.
8. They have turned aside quickly out of 14. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; the way which I commanded them: they for it is holy unto you: every one that de- have made them a molten calf, and have fileth it shall surely be put to death: for worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which shall be cut off from among his people have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
15. Six days may work be done; but 9. And the LORD said unto Moses, i in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy have seen this people, and, behold, it is a to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work | stiff-necked people :