« PreviousContinue »
16, And there were narrow windows to 1 30. And the arches round about were five the little chambers, and to their posts within and twenty cubits long, and five cubits broad: the gate round about, and likewise to the 31. And the arches thereof were toward arches; and windows were round about in the outer court; and palm-trees were upon ward: and upon each post were palm-trees. the posts thereof: and the going up to it had
17. Then brought he me into the outward | eight steps. . court, and, lo, there were chambers, and a 32. And he brought me into the inner pavement made for the court round about:court toward the east: and he measured the thirty chambers were upon the pavement. gate according to these measures.
18. And the pavement by the side of the 33. And the little chambers thereof, and gates, over against the length of the gates, the posts thereof, and the arches thereof, was the lower pavement.
were according to these measures; and there 19. Then he measured the breadth, from were windows therein, and in the arches the fore-front of the lower gate unto the fore- thereof round about: it was fifty cubits long, front of the inner court without, a hundred and five and twenty cubits broad. cubits eastward and northward.
34. And the arches thereof were toward 20. And the gate of the outward court, the outward court; and palm-trees were upon that looked toward the north, he measured the posts thereof, and on this side and on that the length thereof, and the breadth thereof. | side: and the going up to it had eight steps.
21. And the little chambers thereof were 35. And he brought me to the north gate, three on this side, and three on that side; and and measured it according to these measures: the posts thereof, and the arches thereof, 36. The little chambers thereof, the posts were after the measure of the first gate: the thereof, and the arches thereof, and the length thereof was fifty cubits, and the breadth windows to it round about: the length was five and twenty cubits.
fifty cubits, and the breadth five and twenty 22. And their windows, and their arches, cubits. and their palm-trees, were after the measure 37. And the posts thereof were toward of the gate that looketh towards the east; the outer court; and palm-trees were upon and they went up unto it by seven steps; and the posts thereof, on this side, and on that the arches thereof were before them. | side: and the going up to it had eight steps.
23. And the gate of the inner court was | 38. And the chambers, and the entries over against the gate toward the north, and thereof, were by the posts of the gates, where toward the east; and he measured from gate they washed the burnt-offering. to gate a hundred cubits.
39. And in the porch of the gate were two 24. After that he brought me toward the tables on this side, and two tables on that south, and, behold, a gate toward the south: side, to slay thereon the burnt-offering, and and he measured the posts thereof, and the the sin-offering, and the trespass-offering.. arches thereof, according to these measures. 40. And at the side without, as one goeth
25. And there were windows in it, and in up to the entry of the north gate, were two the arches thereof round' about, like those tables; and on the other side, which was windows: the length was fifty cubits, and at the porch of the gate, were two tables. the breadth five and twenty cubits.
41. Four tables were on this side, and four 26. And there were seven steps to go up tables on that side, by the side of the gate; to it, and the arches thereof were before eight tables, whereupon they slew their sathem: and it had palm-trees, one on this | crifices. side, and another on that side, upon the posts 42. And the four tables were of hewn thereof.
stone for the burnt-offering, of a cubit and a 27. And there was a gate in the innerhalf long, and a cubit and a half broad, court toward the south: and he measured and one cubit high: whereupon also they from gate to gate toward the south a hun- laid the instruments wherewith they slew dred cubits.
the burnt-offering and the sacrifice. 28. And he brought me to the inner court | 43. And within were hooks, a hand broad, by the south gate: and he measured the | fastened round about: and upon the tables south gate according to these measures; was the flesh of the offering.
29. And the little chambers thereof, and 44. And without the inner gate were the the posts thereof, and the arches thereof, ac- chambers of the singers in the inner court, cording to these measures: and there were which was at the side of the north gate; windows in it, and in the arches thereof and their prospect was toward the south; round about: it was fifty cubits long, and five one at the side of the east gate, having the and twenty cubits broad.
prospect toward the north.
45. And he said unto me, This chamber, 1 breadth of the house was still upward, and whose prospect is toward the south, is for so increased from the lowest chamber to the the priests, the keepers of the charge of the highest by the midst. house.
8. I saw also the height of the house round 46. And the chamber whose prospect is about: the foundations of the side-chambers toward the north is for the priests, the keepers were a full reed of six great cubits. of the charge of the altar: these are the sons | 9. The thickness of the wall, which was of Zadok, among the sons of Levi, which || for the side-chamber without, was five cucome near to the LORD to minister unto him. || bits; and that which was left was the place
47. So he measured the court, a hundred of the side-chambers that were within. cubits long, and a hundred cubits broad, Il 10. And between the chambers was the four square, and the altar that was before || wideness of twenty cubits round about the the house.
house on every side. 48. And he brought me to the porch of | 11. And the doors of the side-chambers the house, and measured each post of the || were toward the place that was left, one door porch, five cubits on this side, and five cu- | toward the north, and another door toward bits on that side: and the breadth of the the south: and the breadth of the place that gate was three cubits on this side, and three was left was five cubits round about. cubits on that side.
12. Now the building that was before the 49. The length of the porch was twenty separate place, at the end toward the west, cubits, and the breadth eleven cubits: and was seventy cubits broad; and the wall of he brought me by the steps whereby they the building was five cubits thick round went up to it; and there were pillars by the | about, and the length thereof ninety cuposts, one on this sidè, and another on that bits. side.
13. So he measured the house, a hundred CHAP. XLI.
cubits long; and the separate place, and the The measures, parts, chambers, and ornaments of the temple. || building, with the walls thereof, a hundred 1. AFTERWARD he brought me to cubits long;
A the temple, and measured the posts, 14. Also the breadth of the face of the six cubits broiid on the one side, and six house, and of the separate place toward the cubits broad on the other side, which was east, a hundred cubits. the breadth of the tabernacle.
| 15. And he measured the length of the 2. And the breadth of the door was ten building over against the separate place cubits; and the sides of the door were five which was behind it, and the galleries therecubits on the one side, and five cubits on of on the one side, and on the other side, a the other side; and he measured the length hundred cubits, with the inner temple, and thereof, forty cubits, and the breadth, twenty | the porches of the court; cubits.
16. The door-posts, and the narrow win3. Then went he inward, and measured | dows, and the galleries round about on their the post of the door two cubits, and the door three stories, over against the door, ceiled six cubits, and the breadth of the door seven with wood round about, and from the ground cubits.
| up to the windows, and the windows were 4. So he measured the length thereof, | covered; twenty cubits, and the breadth, twenty cu- ll 17. To that above the door, even unto bits, before the temple; and he said unto the inner house and without, and by all the me, This is the most holy place.
wall round about, within and without, by 5. After he measured the wall of the house measure. six cubits; and the breadth of every side- || 18. And it was made with cherubims and chamber four cubits, round about the house | palm-trees, so that a palm-tree was between on every side.
a cherub and a cherub; and every cherub 6. And the side-chambers were three, one had two faces; over another, and thirty in order; and they || 19. So that the face of a man was toward entered into the wall, which was of the the palm-tree on the one side, and the face house for the side-chambers round about, of a young lion toward the palm-tree on the that they might have hold, but they had not || other side: it was made through all the house hold in the wall of the house.
round about. 7. And there was an enlarging and a wind- || 20. From the ground unto above the door ing about still upward to the side-chambers; | were cherubims and palm-trees made, and for the winding about of the house went still on the wall of the temple. upward round about the house: therefore the 21. The posts of the temple were squared,
he measured threadth twenty unto the inner
and the face of the sanctuary; the appear- || of the wall of the court toward the east, over ance of the one as the appearance of the other. against the separate place, and over against
22. The altar of wood was three cubits the building. high, and the length thereof two cubits; and 11. And the way before them was like the corners thereof, and the length thereof, the appearance of the chambers which were and the walls thereof, were of wood: and he toward the north, as long as they, and as said unto me, This is the table that is before broad as they; and all their goings-out the LORD.
were both according to their fashions, and 23. And the temple and the sanctuary | according to their doors. had two doors.
|| 12. And according to the doors of the 24. And the doors had two leaves apiece,chambers that were toward the south was a two turning leaves; two leaves for the one door in the head of the way, even the way door, and two leaves for the other door. || directly before the wall toward the east, as
25. And there were made on them, on the one entereth into them. doors of the temple, cherubims and palm- | 13. Then said he unto me, The north trees, like as were made upon the walls; and chambers and the south chambers, which there were thick planks upon the face of the are before the separate place, they be holy porch without.
chambers, where the priests that approach 26. And there were narrow windows and unto the LORD shall eat the most holy palm-trees on the one side and on the other things: there shall they lay the most holy side, on the sides of the porch, and upon the things, and the meat-offering, and the siaside-chambers of the house, and thick planks. offering, and the trespass-offering; for the CHAP. XLII.
place is holy. I The chambers for the priests : 13 The use thereof. 14. When the priests enter therein, then 1. THEN he brought me forth into the shall they not go out of the holy place into
- outer court, the way toward the the outer court, but there they shall lay their north, and he brought me into the chamber garments wherein they minister; for they that was over against the separate place, are holy; and shall put on other garments, and which was before the building toward and shall approach to those things which are the north.
for the people. 2. Before the length of a hundred cubits 15. Now, when he had made an end of was the north door, and the breadth was measuring the inner house, he brought me fifty cubits. .
forth toward the gate whose prospect is to3. Over against the twenty cubits which ward the east, and measured it round about. were for the inner court, and over against 16. He measured the east side with the the pavement which was for the outer court, measuring-reed, five hundred reeds, with the was gallery against gallery in three stories. I measuring-reed round about.
4. And before the chambers was a walk | 17. He measured the north side five hunof ten cubits breadth inward, a way of one dred reeds, with the measuring-reed round cubit: and their doors toward the north. . || about.
5. Now, the upper chambers were shorter: | 18. He measured the south side five hunfor the galleries were higher than these, than dred reeds, with the measuring-reed. the lower, and than the middlemost of the 19. He turned about to the west side, and building.
measured five hundred reeds, with the mea6. For they were in three stories, but had suring-reed. not pillars as the pillars of the courts: there 1 20. He measured it by the four sides: it fore the building was straitened more than had a wall round about, five hundred reeds the lowest and the middlemost from the long, and five hundred broad, to make a seground.
paration between the sanctuary and the pro7. And the wall that was without over || fane place. against the chambers, toward the outer court
CHAP. XLIII. on the fore-part of the chambers, the length || 1 The glory of the Lord returneth into the temple. 13 The thereof was fifty cubits.
measures and ordinances of the altar. 8. For the length of the chambers that 1. AFTERWARD he brought me to were in the outer court was fifty cubits: and, A the gate, even the gate that looketh lo, before the temple were a hundred cubits. || toward the east:
9. And from under these chambers was || 2. And, behold, the glory of the God of the entry on the east side, as one goeth into | Israel came from the way of the east; and his them from the outer court.
|| voice was like a noise of many waters: and 10. The chambers were in the thickness II the earth shined with his glory.
the vision tha; and the visions whebar; and
3. And it was according to the appearance | even to the lower settle shall be two cubits, of the vision which I saw, even according to and the breadth one cubit; and from the the vision that I saw when I came to de- lesser settle even to the greater settle shall stroy the city; and the visions were like the be four cubits, and the breadth one cubit. vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and 15. So the altar shall be four cubits; and I fell upon my face.
from the altarand upward shall be four horns. 4. And the glory of the LORD came into 16. And the altar shall be twelve cubits the house, by the way of the gate whose long, twelve broad, square in the four squares prospect is toward the east.
thereof. 5. So the spirit took me up, and brought 17. And the settle shall be fourteen cume into the inner court; and, behold, the bits long, and fourteen broad in the four glory of the Lord filled the house.
squares thereof; and the border about it shall 6. And I heard him speaking unto me| be half a cubit; and the bottom thereof
7. And he said unto me, Son of man, the look toward the east. place of my throne, and the place of the | 18. And he said unto me, Son of man. soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the thus saith the Lord God, These are the ormidst of the children of Israel for ever, and dinances of the altar in the day when they my holy name, shall the house of Israel no shall make it, to offer burnt-offerings thereon, more defile, neither they, nor their kings, by and to sprinkle blood thereon. their whoredom, nor by the carcases of their | 19. And thou shalt give to the priest, the kings in their high places;
Levites that be of the seed of Zadok, which 8. In their setting of their threshold by l approach unto me, to minister unto me, saith my thresholds, and their post by my posts, the Lord God, a young bullock for a sinand the wall between me and them; they offering. have even defiled my holy name by their 20. And thou shalt take of the blood abominations that they have committed: thereof, and put it on the four horns of it, wherefore I have consumed them in mine and on the four corners of the settle, and anger.
upon the border round about: thus shalt. 9. Now let them put away their whore- thou cleanse and purge it.. dom, and the carcases of their kings, far I! 21. Thou shalt take the bullock also of from me, and I will dwell in the midst of the sin-offering, and he shall burn it in the them for ever.
appointed place of the house, without the 10. Thou son of man, shew the house to sanctuary. the house of Israel, that they may be asham | 22. And on the second day thou shalt offer ed of their iniquities; and let them measure a kid of the goats without blemish for a sinthe pattern.
offering; and they shall cleanse the altar, 11. And if they be ashamed of all that || as they did cleanse it with the bullock. they have done, shew them the form of the | 23. When thou hast made an end of house, and the fashion thereof, and the go-cleansing it, thou shalt offer a young bullock ings-out thereof, and the comings-in thereof, without blemish, and a ram out of the flock and all the forms thereof, and all the ordi- || without blemish. nances thereof; and all the forms thereof, 24. And thou shalt offer them before the and all the laws thereof: and write it in || LORD, and the priests shall cast salt upon their sight, that they may keep the whole them, and they shall offer them up for a form thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, || burnt-offering unto the Lord. and do them.
25. Seven days shalt thou prepare every 12. This is the law of the house; Upon || day a goat for a sin-offering: they shall also the top of the mountain, the whole limit || prepare a young bullock, and a ram out of thereof round about shall be most holy. Be- || the flock, without blemish. hold, this is the law of the house. || 26. Seven days shall they purge the altar,
13. And these are the measures of the and purify it; and they shall consecrate altar after the cubits: The cubit is a cubit | themselves. and a hand-breadth; even the bottom shall i 27. And when these days are expired, be a cubit, and the breadth a cubit, and the it shall be, that upon the eighth day, and border thereof by the edge thereof round so forward, the priests shall make your burntabout shall be a span: and this shall be the offerings upon the altar, and your peace-. higher place of the altar.
offerings; and I will accept you, saith the 14. And from the bottom upon the ground || Lord God.
thold, this is the secure the helm cubi
lifted up my hand against them, saith the The priests reproved for polluting of the sanctuary. Lord God, and they shall bear their iniquity. 1. THEN he brought me back the way |13. And they shall not come near unto
of the gate of the outward sanctuary, | me to do the office of a priest unto me, nor which looketh toward the east, and it was to come near to any of my holy things, in shut.
the most holy place; but they shall bear their 2. Then said the LORD unto me, This shame, and their abominations which they gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, || have committed: and no man shall enter in by it; because the 14. But I will make them keepers of the LORD, the God of Israel, hath entered in charge of the house, for all the service thereby it, therefore it shall be shut.
of, and for all that shall be done therein. 3. It is for the prince; the prince he shall | 15. But the priests the Levites, the sons sit in it to eat bread before the LORD: he of Zadok, that kept the charge of my sancshall enter by the way of the porch of that tuary when the children of Israel went astray gate, and shall go out by the way of the same. | from me, they shall come near to me to mi
4. Then brought he me the way of the nister unto me, and they shall stand before north gate before the house: and I looked, me to offer unto me the fat and the blood, and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the saith the Lord God: house of the LORD; and I fell upon my 16. They shall enter into my sanctuary, face.
and they shall come near to my table to 5. And the LORD said unto me, Son of || minister unto me, and they shall keep my man, mark well, and behold with thine eyes, charge. and hear with thine ears, all that I say unto 17. And it shall come to pass, that, when thee concerning all the ordinances of the they enter in at the gates of the inner court, house of the LORD, and all the laws there they shall be clothed with linen garments; of; and mark well the entering in of the and no wool shall come upon them while house, with every going forth of the sanc- they minister in the gates of the inner court, tuary.
and within. 6. And thou shalt say to the rebellious, 18. They shall have linen bonnets upon even to the house of Israel, Thus saith the their heads, and shall have linen breeches Lord God, O ye house of Israel, let it suffice upon their loins; they shall not gird themyou of all your abominations,
selves with any thing that causeth sweat. 7. In that ye have brought into my sanc- 19. And when they go forth into the outer tuary, strangers, uncircumcised in heart, and court, even into the outer court to the peouncircumcised in flesh, to be in my sanctuary, ple, they shall put off their garments whereto pollute it, even my house, when ye offer in they ministered, and lay them in the holy my bread, the fat and the blood, and they | | chambers, and they shall put on other garhave broken my covenant, because of allments; and they shall not sanctify the peoyour abominations.
ple with their garments. 8. And ye have not kept the charge of my 1 20. Neither shall they shave their heads, holy things: but ye have set keepers of my | nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall charge in my sanctuary for yourselves. only poll their heads.
9. Thus saith the Lord God, No stranger, 21. Neither shall any priest drink wine, uncircumcised in heart, nor uncircumcised when they enter into the inner court. in flesh, shall enter into my sanctuary, of 22. Neither shall they take for their wives any stranger that is among the children of || a widow, or her that is put away: but they Israel.
shall take maidens of the seed of the house 10. And the Levites that are gone away of Israel, or a widow that had a priest before. far from me, when Israel went astray, which || 23. And they shall teach my people the went astray away from me after their idols; || difference between the holy and profane, and they shall even bear their iniquity. cause men to discern between the unclean
11. Yet they shall be ministers in my || and the clean. sanctury, having charge at the gates of the 24. And in controversy they shall stand in house, and ministering to the house: they |judgment; and they shall judge it according shall slay the burnt-offering and the sacrifice to my judgments: and they shall keep my for the people, and they shall stand before | laws and my statutes in all mine assemblies; them to minister unto them.
and they shall hallow my sabbaths. 12. Because they ministered unto them 25. And they shall come at no dead person before their idols, and caused the house of Is- | to defile themselves: but for father, or for rael to fall into iniquity; therefore have I || mother, or for son, or for daughter, for bro.