« PreviousContinue »
my sanctuary, when it was profaned; and the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cheagainst the land of Israel, when it was deso- | rethims, and destroy the remnant of the sealate; and against the house of Judah, when coast. they went into captivity:
. || 17. And I will execute great vengeance 4. Behold, therefore, I will deliver thee to | upon them with furious rebukes; and they the men of the east for a possession, and shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall they shall set their palaces in thee, and make | lay my vengeance upon them. their dwellings in thee: they shall eat thy
CHAP. XXVI. fruit, and they shall drink thy milk. ll Tyrus for insulling against Jerusalem is threatened.
5. And I will make Rabbah a stable for | 1. AND it came to pass in the eleventh camels, and the Ammonites a couching-place A year, in the first day of the month, for flocks; and ye shall know that I am the that the word of the Lord came unto me, LORD.
saying, 6. For thus saith the Lord God, Because 2. Son of man, because that Tyrus bath thou hast clapped thy hands, and stamped said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken with the feet, and rejoiced in heart with all that was the gates of the people; she is turnthy despite against the land of Israel; ed unto me; I shall be replenished, now she
7. Behold, therefore, I will stretch out my is laid waste: hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for all 3. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, spoil to the heathen; and I will cut thee off Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and from the people, and I will cause thee to will cause many nations to come up against perish out of the countries: I will destroy thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up. thee; and thou shalt know that I am the 4. And they shall destroy the walls of LORD.
Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will 8. Thus saith the Lord God, Because that also scrape her dust from her, and make Moab and Seir do say, Behold, the house of her like the top of a rock. Judah is like unto all the heathen;
5. It shall be a place for the spreading 9. Therefore, behold, I will open the side of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have of Moab from the cities, from his cities | spoken it, saith the Lord God; and it shall which are on his frontiers, the glory of the become a spoil to the nations. country, Beth-jeshimoth, Baal-meon, and 6. And her daughters which are in the Kiriathaim,
field shall be slain by the sword; and they 10. Unto the men of the east with the shall know that I am the LORD. Ammonites, and will give them in posses- || 7. For thus saith the Lord God, Behold, sion, that the Ammonites may not be re- || I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar membered among the nations.
king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the 11. And I will execute judgments upon north, with horses, and with chariots, and Moab; and they shall know that I am the with horsemen, and companies, and much LORD.
people. 12. Thus saith the Lord God, Because 8. He shall slay with the sword thy that Edom hath dealt against the house of | daughters in the field; and he shall make a Judah by taking vengeance, and hath greatly fort against thee, and cast a mount against offended, and revenged himself upon them: thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.
13. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, 9. He shall set engines of war against thy I will also stretch out my hand upon Edom, walls, and with his axes he shall break down and will cut off man and beast from it; and thy towers. I will make it desolate from Teman; and I 10. By reason of the abundance of his they of Dedan shall fall by the sword. || horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls _14. And I will lay my vengeance upon || shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and Edom by the hand of my people Israel: and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he they shall do in Edom according to mine shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into anger, and according to my fury; and they | a city wherein is made a breach. shall know my vengeance, saith the Lord 11. With the hoofs of his horses shall he
tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy 15. Thus saith the Lord God, Because people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons the Philistines have dealt by revenge, and shall go down to the ground. have taken vengeance with a despiteful 12. And they shall make a spoil of thy heart, to destroy it for the old hatred; riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise,
16. Therefore, thus saith the Lord God, and they shall break down thy walls, and Behold, I will stretch out my hand upon I destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall
shall know my vo o r God, Because we all go down to the li make a 915. Thus saitha ve dealt by revedespiteful - 125 And make a prey ofthy thy walls, and
lay thy stones, and thy timber, and thy dust, | fir-trees of Senir: they have taken cedars in the midst of the water.
|| from Lebanon to make masts for thee. 13. And I will cause the noise of thy 6. Of the oaks of Bashan have they made songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps thine oars; the company of the Ashurites shall be no more heard.
| have made thy benches of ivory, brought out 14. And I will make thee like the top of of the isles of Chittim. a rock; thou shalt be a place to spread nets | 7. Fine linen, with broidered work from upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I Egypt, was that which thou spreadest forth the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord to be thy sail: blue and purple from the God.
isles of Elishah was that which covered thee. 15. Thus saith the Lord God to Tyrus, 8. The inhabitants of Zidon and Arvad Shall not the isles shake at the sound of thy were thy mariners: thy wise men, O Tyrus, fall, when the wounded cry, when the that were in thee were thy pilots. slaughter is made in the midst of thee? 9. The ancients of Gebal, and the wise
16. Then all the princes of the sea shall men thereof, were in thee thy calkers: all come down from their thrones, and lay away the ships of the sea, with their mariners, their robes, and put off their broidered gar-were in thee to occupy thy merchandise. ments: they shall clothe themselves with 10. They of Persia, and of Lud, and of trembling; they shall sit upon the ground, Phut, were in thine army thy men of war: and shall tremble at every moment, and be they hanged the shield and helmet in thee; astonished at thee.
they set forth thy comeliness. 17. And they shall take up a lamentation 11. The men of Arvad, with thine army, for thee, and say to thee, How art thou de- || were upon thy walls round about, and the stroyed that wast inhabited of sea-faring men, Gammadims were in thy towers: they hang. the renowned city which wast strong in the ed their shields upon thy walls round about; sea, she and her inhabitants, which cause they have made thy beauty perfect. their terror to be on all that haunt it!
12. Tarshish was thy merchant by reason 18. Now shall the isles tremble in the day of the multitude of all kind of riches: with of thy fall; yea, the isles that are in the sea silver, iron, tin, and lead, they traded in thy shall be troubled at thy departure.
fairs. 19. For thus saith the Lord God, When 13. Javan, Tubal, and Meshech, they I shall make thee a desolate city, like the were thy merchants: they traded the persons cities that are not inhabited; when I shall of men and vessels of brass in thy market. bring up the deep upon thee, and great || 14. They of the house of Togarmah traded waters shall cover thee;
in thy fairs with horses, and horsemen, and 20. When I shall bring thee down with mules. them that descend into the pit, with the peo | 15. The men of Dedan were thy mer: ple of old time, and shall set thee in the chants; many isles were the merchandise of low parts of the earth, in places desolate of thy hand: they brought thee for a present, old, with them that go down to the pit, that horns of ivory and ebony. thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory 16. Syria was thy merchant by reason of in the land of the living;
the multitude of the wares of thy making: 21. I will make thee a terror, and thou they occupied in thy fairs with eineralds, shalt be no more: though thou be sought for, purple, and broidered work, and fine linen, yet shalt thou never be found again, saith and coral, and agate. the Lord God,
17. Judah, and the land of Israel, they CHAP. XXVII.
| were thy merchants: they traded in thy mar: 1 The rich supply of Tyrus: 26 The irrecoverable fall thereof. || ket wheat of Minnith and Pannag, and 1. THE word of the LORD came again honey, and oil, and balm. 1 unto me, saying,
18. Damascus was thy merchant in the 2. Now, thou son of man, take up a multitude of the wares of thy making, for lamentation for Tyrus;
the multitude of all riches; in the wine of 3. And say unto Tyrus, O thou that art Helbon, and white wool. situate at the entry of the sea, which art a 19. Dan also and Javan, going to and fro, merchant of the people for many isles, Thus occupied in thy fairs; bright iron, cassia, and saith the Lord God, O Tyrus, thou hast || calamus, were in thy market. said, I am of perfect beauty
20. Dedan was thy merchant in precious 4. Thy borders are in the midst of the clothes for chariots. seas, thy builders have perfected thy beauty. | .21. Arabia, and all the princes of Kedar,
5. They have made all thy ship-boards of ll they occupied with thee in lambs, and rams,
| honey : Damascus wares of thi
and goats; in these were they thy mer- || shall hiss at thee; thou shalt be a terror, chants.
and never shalt be any more. 22. The merchants of Sheba and Raamah,
CHAP. XXVIII. they were thy merchants: they occupied in
1 God's judgment upon the prince of Tyrus for his impious thy fairs with chief of all spices, and with 'pride. 20.* The judgment of Zidon, fc. all precious stones, and gold.
1. THE word of the LORD came again 23. Haren, and Canneh, and Eden, the 1 unto me, saying, merchants of Sheba, Asshur, and Chilmad, || 2. Son of man, say unto the prince of were thy merchants.
Tyrus, Thus saith the Lord God, Because 24. These were thy merchants in all sorts thy heart is lifted up, and thou hast said, I of things, in blue clothes, and broidered | am a god, I sit in the seat of God, in the work, and in chests of rich apparel, bound | midst of the seas; yet thou art a man, and with cords, and made of cedar, among thy not God, though thou set thy heart as the merchandise.
heart of God: 25. The ships of Tarshish did sing of thee |3. Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel: in thy market; and thou wast replenished, || there is no secret that they can hide from and made very glorious in the midst of the || thee: seas.
4. With thy wisdom and with thine under26. Thy rowers have brought thee into standing thou hast gotten thee riches, and great waters: the east wind hath broken hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures: thee in the midst of the seas.
5. By thy great wisdom, and by thy traffic, 27. Thy riches, and thy fairs, thy mer-hast thou increased thy riches, and thychandise, thy mariners, and thy pilots, thy || heart is lifted up because of thy riches: calkers, and the occupiers of thy merchan- | 6. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Bedise, and all thy men of war, that are in thee, || cause thou hast set thy heart as the heart of and in all thy company, which is in the midst God; of thee, shall fall into the midst of the seas 7. Behold, therefore, I will bring strangers in the day of thy ruin.
| upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and 28. The suburbs shall shake at the sound | they shall draw their swords against the of the cry of thy pilots.
beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile 29. And all that handle the oar, the mari- || thy brightness. ners, and all the pilots of the sea, shall 8. They shall bring thee down to the pit, come down from their ships, they shall stand and thou shalt die the deaths of them that upon the land;
lare slain in the midst of the seas. 30. And shall cause their voice to be l 9. Wilt thou yet say before him that slayheard against thee, and shall cry bitterly, | eth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a and shall cast up dust upon their heads; || man, and no god, in the hand of him that they shall wallow themselves in the ashes; slayeth thee.
31. And they shall make themselves ut- | 10. Thou shalt die the deaths of the un· terly bald for thee, and gird them with sack-circumcised by the hand of strangers: for
cloth; and they shall weep for thee with || I have spoken it, saith the Lord God. bitterness of heart and bitter wailing. I | 11. | Moreover, the word of the LORD
32. And in their wailing they shall take came unto me, saying, up a lamentation for thee, and lament over | 12. Son of man, take up a lamentation thee, saying, What city is like Tyrus, like upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, the destroyed in the midst of the sea ? | Thus saith the Lord God, Thou sealest up
33. When thy wares went forth out of the sum, fullof wisdom, and perfect in beauty. the seas, thou filledst many people: thou || 13. Thou hast been in Eden the garden didst enrich the kings of the earth with the of God; every precious stone was thy covermultitude of thy riches and of thy merchan- ing, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond,
the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sap34. In the time when thou shalt be broken |phire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and by the seas in the depths of the waters, thy gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and merchandise, and all thy company in the of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day midst of thee, shall fall.
that thou wast created. 35. All the inhabitants of the isles shall 14. Thou art the anointed cherub that be astonished at thee, and their kings shall || covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast be sore afraid, they shall be troubled in their | upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast ; countenance.
walked up and down in the midst of the 36. The merchants among the people ll stones of fire.
2. and againsi yapt, and proe jagainst Pha
15. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from || word of the LORD came unto me, say. the day that thou wast created, till iniquity || ing, was found in thee.
2. Son of man, set thy face against Pha16. By the multitude of thy merchandiseraoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against they have filled the midst of thee with vio- | him, and against all Egypt: lence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will 3. Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God, Behold, I ain against thee, Pharaoh God; and I will destroy thee, O covering king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. in the midst of his rivers, which hạth said,
17. Thy heart was lifted up because of My river is mine own, and I have made thy beauty; thou hast corrupted thy wisdom | it for myself. by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee | 4. But I will put hooks in thy jaws, and I to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, will cause the fish of thy rivers to stick unto that they may behold thee.
thy scales; and I will bring thee up out of 18. Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the midst of thy rivers, and all the fish of the multitude of thine iniquities, by the ini- | thy rivers shall stick unto thy scales. quity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth 5. And I will leave thee thrown into the a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour wilderness, thee and all the fish of thy rivers: thee; and I will bring thee to ashes upon thou shalt fall upon the open fields; thou the earth, in the sight of all them that be-shalt not be brought together, nor gathered: hold thee.
I have given thee for meat to the beasts of 19. All they that know thee among the the field and to the fowls of the heaven. people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt 6. And all the inhabitants of Egypt shall be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more. | know that I am the LORD, because they
20. 1 Again the word of the LORD came have been a staff of reed to the house of unto me, saying,
Israel. 21. Son of man, set thy face against Zi-. 7. When they took hold of thee by thy don, and prophesy against it,
hand, thou didst break, and rend all their 22. And say, Thus saith the Lord God; shoulder: and when they leaned upon thee Behold, I am against thee, O Zidon; and I thou brakest, and madest all their loins to be will be glorified in the midst of thee: and at a stand. they shall know that I am the LORD, when 8. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, I shall have executed judgments in her, and Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and shall be sanctified in her.
cut off man and beast out of thee. 23. For I will send into her pestilence, 9. And the land of Egypt shall be desoand blood into her streets; and the wounded | late and waste; and they shall know that shall be judged in the midst of her by the I am the LORD: because he hath said, The sword upon her on every side; and they river is mine, and I have made it. shall know that I am the LORD.
10. Behold, therefore, I am against thee, 24. | And there shall be no more a prick-and against thy rivers, and I will make the ing brier unto the house of Israel, nor any || land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, grieving thorn of all that are round about from the tower of Syene even unto the borthem, that despised them; and they shall der of Ethiopia. know that I am the Lord God.
11. No foot of man shall pass through it, 25. Thus saith the Lord God, When I nor foot of beast shall pass through it, nelshall have gathered the house of Israel from ther shall it be inhabited forty years. the people among whom they are scattered, 12. And I will make the land of Egypt and shall be sanctified in them in the sight desolate in the midst of the countries thal of the heathen, then shall they dwell in their are desolate, and her cities among the cities land that I have given to my servant Jacob. ll that are laid waste shall be desolate forty
26. And they shall dwell safely therein, years: and I will scatter the Egyptians and shall build houses, and plant vineyards; among the nations, and will disperse them yea, they shall dwell with confidence, when || through the countries. I have executed judgments upon all those | 13. Yet thus saith the Lord GOD, At the that despise them round about them; and end of forty years will I gather the Egyp they shall know that I am the Lord their God. tians from the people whither they were CHAP. XXIX.
scattered: i The judgment of Pharaoh. 8 The desolation of Egypt. 14. And I will bring again the captivity 1. TN the tenth year, in the tenth month, ll of Egypt, and I will cause them to reques
1 in the twelfth day of the month, the ll into the land of Pathros, into the land on
their habitation; and they shall be there a || 7. And they shall be desolate in the midst base kingdom.
of the countries that are desolate, and her 15. It shall be the basest of the kingdoms; cities shall be in the midst of the cities that neither shall it exalt itself any more above are wasted. the nations: for I will diminish them, that | 8. And they shall know that I am the they shall no more rule over the nations. LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt, and
16. And it shall be no more the confidence || when all her helpers shall be destroyed. of the house of Israel, which bringeth their 9. In that day shall messengers go forth iniquity to remembrance, when they shall from me in ships, to make the careless Ethilook after them: but they shall know that I | opians afraid, and great pain shall come am the Lord God.
upon them, as in the day of Egypt: for, .0, 17. | And it came to pass in the seven and it cometh. twentieth year, in the first month, in the first | 10. Thus saith the Lord God, I will also day of the month, the word of the LORD make the multitude of Egypt to cease by the came unto me, saying,
hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon. 18. Son of man, Nebuchadrezzar king of | 11. He and his people with him, the terBabylon caused his army to serve a great || rible of the nations, shall be brought to deservice against Tyrus: every head was madestroy the land: and they shall draw their bald, and every shoulder was peeled: yet had swords against Egypt, and fill the land with he no wages, nor his army, for Tyrus, for the slain. the service that he had served against it: 12. And I will make the rivers dry, and
19. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, sell the land into the hand of the wicked; Behold, I will give the land of Egypt unto | and I will make the land waste, and all that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he is therein, by the hand of strangers: I the shall take her multitude, and take her spoil, Lord have spoken it. and take her prey; and it shall be the wages 13. The saith the Lord God, I will also for his army.
| destroy the idols, and I will cause their 20. I have given him the land of Egypt | images to cease out of Noph; and there for his labour wherewith he served against shall be no more a prince of the land of it, because they wrought for me, saith the | Egypt: and I will put a fear in the land of Lord God.
Egypt. 21. In that day will I cause the horn of 14. And I will make Pathros desolate, the house of Israel to bud forth, and I will and will set fire in Zoan, and will execute give thee the opening of the mouth in the judgments in No. midst of them; and they shall know that I 15. And I will pour my fury upon Sin, am the LORD.
the strength of Egypt; and I will cut off the CHAP. XXX.
multitude of No. The desolation of Egypt and her helpers.
16. And I will set fire in Egypt: Sin shall 1. THE word of the LORD came again have great pain, and No shall be rent 1 unto me, saying,
lasunder, and Noph shall have distresses daily. 2. Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus | 17. The young men of Aven and Pi-beseih saith the Lord God, Howl ye, Wo worth shall fall by the sword: and these cities shall the day!
go into captivity. 3. For the day is near, even the day of 18. At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be darkened, when I shall break there the yokes the time of the heathen.
of Egypt: and the pomp of her strength shall 4. And the sword shall come upon Egypt, cease in her: as for her, a cloud shall cover and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the her, and her daughters shall go into captivity. slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take 19. Thus will I execute judgments in away her multitude, and her foundations Egypt; and they shall know that I am the shall be broken down.
LORD. 5. Ethiopia, and Libya, and Lydia, and 20. 1 And it came to pass in the eleventh all the mingled people, and Chub, and the year, in the first month, in the seventh day men of the land that is in league, shall fall of the month, that the word of the LORD with them by the sword.
came unto me, saying, 6. Thus saith the Lord, They also that || 21. Son of man, I have broken the arm uphold Egypt shall fall; and the pride of of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and, lo, it shall her power shall come down: from the tower || not be bound up to be healed, to put a roller of Syene shall they fall in it by the sword, to bind it, to make it strong to hold the sword. saith the Lord God.
22. Therefore thus saith the Lord God,
sony her multitudeypt, and they when the then senin her; as