« PreviousContinue »
23. Give ye ear, and hear my voice; || is faint, and his soul hath appetite: so shall hearken, and hear my speech.
the multitude of all the nations be that fight 24. Doth the ploughman plough all day | against mount Zion. to sow? doth he open and break the clods 9. Stay yourselves and wonder ; cry ye of his ground ?
out, and cry: they are drunken, but not 25. When he hath made plain the face with wine; they stagger, but not with strong thereof, doth he not cast abroad the fitches, drink. and scatter the cummin, and cast in the 10. For the Lord hath poured out upon principal wheat, and the appointed barley, you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed and the rye, in their place ?
your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, 26. For his God doth instruct him to dis- | the seers, hath he covered. cretion, and doth teach him.
11. And the vision of all is become unto 27. For the fitches are not threshed with you as the words of a book that is sealed, a threshing instrument, neither is a cart. which men deliver to one that is learned, wheel turned about upon the cummin; but | saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he the fitches are beaten out with a staff, and saith, I cannot; for it is sealed. the cummin with a rod.
1. 12. And the book is delivered to him that 28. Bread-corn is bruised; because he is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: will not ever be threshing it, nor break it and he saith, I am not learned. with the wheel of his cart, nor bruise it with 13. Wherefore the LORD said, Forashis horsemen.
much as this people draw near me with 29. This also cometh forth from the their mouth, and with their lips do honour LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in coun- me, but have removed their heart far from sel, and excellent in working.
me, and their fear toward me is taught by CHAP. XXIX.
the precept of men: A promise of sanctification to the godly.
14. Therefore, behold, I will proceed to 1. W O to Ariel, to Ariel, the city where do a marvellous work among this people,
✓ David dwelt! add ye year to year; even a marvellous work and a wonder; for let them kill sacrifices.
the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, 2. Yet I will distress Ariel, and there and the understanding of their prudent men shall be heaviness and sorrow: and it shall || shall be hid. be unto me as Ariel
15. Wo unto them that seek deep to hide 3. And I will camp against thee round || their counsel from the LORD, and their about, and will lay siege against thee with works are in the dark, and they say, Who a mount, and I will raise forts against thee. seeth us? and who knoweth us?
4. And thou shalt be brought down, and || 16. Surely your turning of things upside shalt speak out of the ground, and thy speech | down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: shall be low out of the dust, and thy voice for shall the work say of him that made it, i shall be as of one that hath a familiar spirit | He made me not? or shall the thing framed out of the ground, and thy speech shall whis- | say of him that framed it, He had no underper out of the dust.
standing ? 5. Moreover, the multitude of thy stran- | 17. Is it not yet a very little while, and gers shall be like small dust, and the mul- Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful titude of the terrible ones shall be as chaff field, and the fruitful field shall be esthat passeth away; yea, it shall be at an | teemed as a forest? instant suddenly.
18. And in that day shall the deaf hear 6. Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of the words of the book, and the eyes of the hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of and great noise, with storm and tempest, || darkness. and the flame of devouring fire.
19. The meek also shall increase their 7. And the multitude of all the nations | joy in the LORD, and the poor among men that fight against Ariel, even all that fight shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel. against her and her munition, and that dis- || 20. For the terrible one is brought to tress her, shall be as a dream of a night- nought, and the scorner is consumed, and vision.
|| all that watch for iniquity, are cut off: 8. It shall even be as when a hungry man 21. That make a man an offender for a dreameth, and, behold, he eateth; but he word, and lay a snare for him that reproyawaketh, and his soul is empty: or as wheneth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a a thirsty man dreameth, and, behold, he thing of nought. drinketh"; but he awaketh, and, behold, hell 22. Therefore thus saith the LORD, who
redeemed Abraham, concerning the house high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, at an instant. neither shall his face now wax pale. lektil 14. And he shall break it as the break
23. But when he seeth his children, the ing of the 'potter's vessel that is broken in work of my hands, in the midst of him, they pieces; he shall not spare: so that there shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the shall not be found in the bursting of it a Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God | sherd to take fire from the hearth, or to of Israel. .
take water withal out of the pit. 24. They also that erred in spirit shall 15. For thus saith the Lord God, the come to understanding, and they that mur | Holy One of Israel, In returning and rest mured shall learn doctrine.
shall ye be saved; in quietness and in conCHAP. XXX.
fidence shall be your strength; and ye 18 God's mercies toward his church. 27 The destruction would not. of Assyria,
16. But ye said, No; for we will flee up. W o to the rebellious children, saith || on horses; therefore shall ye flee: and, We
the Lord, that take counsel, but will ride upon the swift; therefore shall not of me; and that cover withra covering, they that pursue you be swift. but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin | 17. One thousand shall flee at the rebuke to sin:
2. That walk to go down into Egypt, and till ye be left as a beacon upon the top of a have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen mountain, and as an ensign on a hill. themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and | 18. And therefore will the LORD wait, to trust in the shadow of Egypt!
that he may be gracious unto you; and there3. Therefore shall the strength of Pha-fore will he be exalted, that he may have raoh be your shame, and the trust in the mercy upon you; for the LORD is a God of shadow of Egypt your confusion.
judgment: blessed are all they that wait for) . 4. For his princes were at Zoan, and his him. Go t tir ambassadors came to Hanes.
19. For the people shall dwellen Zion at 5. They were all ashamed of a people Jerusalem; thou shalt weep no more: he that could not profit them, nor be a help nor will be very gracious unto thee at the voice profit, but a shame, and also a reproach of thy cry; when he shall hear it, he will
6. The burden of the beasts of the south: 1 answer thee. Into the land of trouble and anguish, from 20. And though the Lord give you the whence come the young and old lion, the bread of adversity, and the water of afflicviper and fiery flying serpent, they will carry tion, yet shall not thy teachers be removed their riches upon the shoulders of young ass | into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall es, and their treasures upon the bunches of see thy teachers: camels, to a people that shall not profit them. 21. And thine ears shall hear a word be- i
7. For the Egyptians shall help in vain, hind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye and to no purpose: therefore have I cried in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and concerning this, Their strength is to sit still. when ye turn to the left.
8. Now go, write it before them in a ta. 22. Ye shall defile also the covering of ble, and note it in a book, that it may be thy graven images of silver, and the orna. for the time to come for ever and ever; ment of thy molten images of gold: thou
9. That this is a rebellious people, lying shalt cast them away as a menstruous cloth; children, children that will not hear the thou shalt say unto it, Get thee hence. law of the LORD:
23. Then shall he give the rain of thy í 10. Which say to the seers, See not: and seed, that thou shalt sow the ground withal; to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right and bread of the increase of the earth, and things; speak unto us smooth things, pro- it shall be fat and plenteous: in that day phesy deceits :
11. Get ye out of the way, turn aside out 1 24. The oxen likewise, and the young of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel asses that ear the ground, shall eat clean to cease from before us.
provender which hath been winnowed with · 12. Wherefore thus saith the Holy One the shovel and with the fan. of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and 25. And there shall be upon every high trust in oppression and perverseness, and mountain, and upon every high hill, rivers stay thereon:
13. Therefore this iniquity shall be to you great slaughter, when the towers fail. as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in al 26. Moreover, the light of the moon shall
be as the light of the sun, and the light of | roaring on his prey, when a multitude of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of shepherds is called forth against him, he seven days, in the day that the Lord bind- will not be afraid of their voice, nor abase eth up the breach of his people, and healhimself for the noise of them: so shall the eth the stroke of their wound.
LORD of hosts come down to fight for 27. Behold, the name of the LORD cometh | mount Zion, and for the hill thereof. from far, burning with his anger, and the 5. As birds Alsung, so will the LORD of hosts burden thereof is heavy; his lips are full of defend Jerusalem; defending also he will deindignation, and his tongue as a devouring liver it, and passing over he will preserve it. fire:
16. Turn ye unto him from whom the chil.. 28. And his breath, as an overflowing | dren of Israel have deeply revolted. stream, shall reach to the midst of the neck, | 7. For in that day every man shall cast to sift the nations with the sieve of vanity: away his idols of silver, and his idols of and there shall be a bridle in the jaws of the gold, which your own hands have made people, causing them to err.
unto you for a sin. 29. Ye shall have a song, as in the night 8. Then shall the Assyrian fall with the when a holy solemnity is kept; and glad-sword, not of a mighty man; and the sword, ness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe not of a mean then, shall devour him; but to come into the mountain of the LORD, to he shall flee from the sword, and his young the Mighty One of Israel.
men shall be discomfited. 30. And the LORD shall cause his glo- 9. And he shall pass over to his strong rious voice to be heard, and shall shew the hold for fear, and his princes shall be afraid lighting down of his arm, with the indigna- of the ensign, saith the LORD, whose fire is tion of his anger, and with the flame of a in Zion, and his furnace in Jerusalem. devouring fire, with scattering, and tempest,
CHAP. XXXII. and hailstones.
| 1 The blessings of Christ's kingdom. 9 Desolation is 31. For through the voice of the LORD
foreshown. shall the Assyrian be beaten down, which 1. REHOLD, a king shall reign in righsmote with a rod.
D teousness, and princes shall rule in 32. And in every place where the ground judgment. . ed staff shall pass, which the LORD shall 2. And a man shall be as a hiding-place lay upon him, it shall be with tabrets and from the wind, and a covert from the temharps: and in battles of shaking will helpest; as rivers of water in a dry place; as fight with it.
the shadow of a great rock in a weary land. 33. For Tophet is ordained of old; yea, 3. And the eyes of them that see shall not for the king it is prepared : he hath made be dim; and the ears of them that hear it deep and large; the pile thereof is fire and shall hearken. much wood: the breath of the Lord, like 4. The heart also of the rash shall undera stream of brimstone, doth kindle it. stand knowledge, and the tongue of the CHAP. XXXI.
stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly. The prophet sheweth the cursed folly in trusting to Egypt. 5. The vile person shall be no more callW o to them that go down to Egypted liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
Y for help, and stay on horses, and 6. For the vile person will speak villany, trust in chariots, because they are many; and his heart will work iniquity, to practise and in horsemen, because they are very hypocrisy, and to utter error against the strong: but they look not unto the Holy || LORD, to make empty the soul of the hunOure of Israel, neither seek the Lord! gry; and he will cause the drink of the
2. Yet he also is wise, and will bring | thirsty to fail. eyil, and will not call back his words: but 7. The instruments also of the churt'are! will arise against the house of the evil-evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy doers, and against the help of them that the poor with lying words, even when the work iniquity.
|| needy speaketh right. 3. Now the Egyptians are men, and not 8. But the liberal deviseth liberal things; 1 God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. and by liberal things shall he stand. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, 9. Rise up, ye women that are at ease; both he that helpeth shall fall, and he that hear my voice, ye careless daughters ; give is holpen sball fall down, and they all shall ear unto my speech. fail together.
10. Many days and years shall ye be trou4. For thus hath the Lord spoken unto bled, ye careless women: for the vintage me, Like as the lion and the young lion I shall fail, the gathering shall not come.
manuele of bHAP. Do y obtine o Egypt
be troubled, ye cafegird sackcloth upon your eth no mamarth m
11. Tremble, ye women that are at ease ; || 8. The highways lie waste, the wayfabe troubled, ye careless ones : strip ye, and ring man ceaseth: he hath broken the covemake ye bare, and gird sackcloth upon your nant, he hath despised the cities, he regardloins.
12. They shall Jament for the teats, for 9. The earth mourneth and languisheth; the pleasant fields, for the fruitful vine. Lebanon is ashamed and hewn down; Sha
13. Upon the land of my people shall ron is like a wilderness; and Bashan and come up thorns and briers, yea, upon all the Carmel shake off their fruits. . houses of joy in the joyous city:
10. Now will I rise, saith the LORD; 14. Because the palaces shall be forsak- now will I be exalted; now will I lift up en; the multitude of the city shall be left; myself. the forts and towers shall be for dens for 11. Ye shall conceive chaff; ye shall ever, a joy of wild asses, a pasture of flocks; || bring forth stubble: your breath as fire shall
15. Until the Spirit be poured upon us devour you. from on high, and the wilderness be a fruit- | 12. And the people shall be as the burnful field, and the fruitful field be counted ings of lime; as thorns cut up shall they be for a forest.
burned in the fire. 16. Then judgment shall dwell in the 13. Hear, ye that are far off, what I have wilderness, and righteousness remain in the done; and ye that are near, acknowledge fruitful field.
de ore shall be for dens for I" U. Ye si
be peace; and the effect of righteousness, fulness hath surprised the hypocrites: Who quietness and assurance for ever.
among us shall dwell with the devouring 18. And my people shall dwell in a fire? who among us shall dwell with everpeaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, lasting burnings? and in quiet resting-places,
15. He that walketh righteously, and 19. When it shall hail, coming down on speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the the forest ; and the city shall be low in a gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands low place.
from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his 20. Blessed are ye that sow beside all ears from hearing of hlood, and shutteth his waters, that send forth thither the feet of eyes from seeing evil; the ox and the ass.
16. He shall dwell on high: his place of CHAP. XXXIII.
defence shall be the 'mumtions of rocks; God's judgments against the enemies of the church. I bread shall be given him, his waters shall be 1. W O to thee that spoilest, and thou || sure.
W wast not spoiled ; and dealest | 17. Thine eyes shall see the king in his treacherously, and they dealt not treacher- beauty: they shall behold the land that is ously with thee! when thou shalt cease to very far off. spoil, thou shalt be spoiled ; and when thou 1 18. Thy heart shall meditate terror. shalt make an end to deal treacherously, Where is the scribe? where is the receiver? they shall deal treacherously with thee. where is he that counted the towers? i 2. O LORD, be gracious unto us; we have 19. Thou shalt not see a fierce people ; waited for thee: be thou their arm every a people of a deeper speech than thou canst morning, our salvation also in the time of perceive; of a stammering tongue, that thou trouble.
canst not understand. 3. At the noise of the tumult the people 20. Look upon Zion, the city of our sofled; at the lifting up of thyself the nations | lemnities: thine eyes shall see Jerusalem a were scattered.
4. And your spoil shall be gathered like the be taken down; not one of the stakes theregathering of the caterpillar: as the running of shall ever be removed, neither shall any to and fro of locusts shall he run upon them. of the cords thereof be broken.
5. The Lord is exalted; for he dwelleth | 21. But there the glorious Lord will be on high: he hath filled Zion with judg- unto us a place of broad rivers and streams; ment and righteousness.
wherein shall go no galley with oars, neither 5. And wisdom and knowledge shall be shall gallant ship pass thereby. the stability of thy times, and strength of sal- 22. For the LORD is our judge, the ivation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure. LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our
7. Behold, their valiant ones shall cry king; he will save us. without; the ambassadors of peace shall 23. Thy tacklings are loosed; they could weep bitterly.
I not well strengthen their mast; they could not spread the sail: then is the prey of a thereof; and it shall be a habitation of dra. great spoil divided; the lame take the prey. | gons, and a court for owls.
24. And the inhabitants shall not say, I 14. The wild beasts of the desert shall am sick: the people that dwell therein shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, be forgiven their iniquity.
and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the CHAP. XXXIV.
screech-owl also shall rest there, and find The judgments wherewith God revengeth his church. for herself a place of rest. 1. CIOME near, ye nations, to hear; and 15. There shall the great owl make her
U hearken, ye people; let the earth hear, nest, and lay, and hatch, and gather under and all that is therein; the world, and all her shadow; there shall the vultures also be things that come forth of it.
gathered, every one with her mate. 2. For the indignation of the LORD 28 16. Seek ye out of the book of the upon all nations, and his fury upon all their Lord, and read; no one of these shall fail, armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he none shall want her mate: for my mouth hath delivered them to the slaughter. I it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath
3. Their slain also shall be cast out, and I gathered them. their stink shall come up out of their car- | 17. And he hath cast the lot for them, cases, and the mountains shall be melted | and his hand hath divided it unto them hy with their blood.
line: they shall possess it for ever, from ge4. And all the host of heaven shall beneration to generation shallthey dwell therein. dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled
CHAP. XXXV. together as a scroll: and all their hosts shall The joyful flourishing of Christ's kingdom. fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the 1.7THE wilderness, and the solitary place, vine, and as a falling fig from the fig-tree. I shall be glad for them; and the de
5. For my sword shall be bathed in hea- sert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. ven: behold, it shall come down upon Idu- 2. It shall blossom abundantly, and remea, and upon the people of my curse, to joice even with joy and singing; the glory judgment.
of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the ex6. The sword of the Lord is filled with cellency of Carmel and Sharon; they shall blood; it is made fat with fatness, and with see the glory of the LORD, and the excelthe blood of lambs and goats, with the fat lency of our God. of the kidneys of rams: for the Lord hath 3. Strengthen ye the weak hands, and a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter confirm the feeble knees. in the land of Idumea.
4. Say to them that are of a fearful heart, 7. And the unicorns shall come down Be strong, fear not; behold, your God will · with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; come with vengeance, even God with a re- i and their land shall be soaked with blood, compense; he will come and save you. and their clust made fat with fatness.
5. Then the eyes of the blind shall be 8. For it is the day of the Lord's ven- opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be
geance, and the year of recompenses for the unstopped: le controversy of Zion.
6. Then shall the lame man leap as a 9. And the streams thereof shall be turn- hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for · ed into pitch, and the dust thereof into brim- || in the wilderness shall waters break out,
stone, and the land thereof shall become and streams in the desert. burning pitch.
7. And the parched ground shall become 10. It shall not be quenched night nor a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: day; the smoke thereof shall go up for ever: in the habitation of dragons, where each froin generation to generation it shall lie || lay, shall be grass, with reeds and rushes. waste; none shall pass through it for ever| 8. And a highway shall be there, and and ever:
a way, and it shall be called, The way of 11. The cormorant and the bittern shall || holiness; the unclean shall not pass over possess it; the owl also and the raven shall | it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring dwell in it: and he shall stretch out upon itmen, though fools, shall not err therein. the line of confusion, and the stones of emp- 9. No lion shall be there, nor any raventiness.
ous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be 12. They shall call the nobles thereof to found there: but the redeemed shall walk the kingdom, but none shall be there, and there. all her princes shall be nothing.
10. And the ransomed of the LORD shall 13. And thorns shall come up in her pa- return, and come to Zion with songs and laces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses ll everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall