« PreviousContinue »
up briers and thorns: I will also command | 23. Which justify the wicked for reward the clouds that they rain no rain upon it and take away the righteousness of the righ
7. For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts teous from him! is the house of Israel, and the men of Ju. 24. Therefore as the fire devoureth the dah his pleasant plant: and he looked for stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, judgment, but behold oppression; for righ- so their root shall be as rottenness, and their teousness, but behold a cry.
blossom shall go up as dust: because they 8. Wo unto them that join house to have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, house, that lay field to field, till there be no l and despised the word of the Holy One place, that they may be placed alone in the of Israel. midst of the earth!
| 25. Therefore is the anger of the LORD 9. In mine ears, said the LORD of hosts, || kindled against his people, and he hath Of a truth, many houses shall be desolate, stretched forth his hand against them, and even great and fair, without inhabitant. hath smitten them: and the hills did trem10. Yea, ten acres of vineyard shall yield ||
| ble, and their carcases were torn in the one bath, and the seed of a homer shall midst of the streets. For all this his anger yield an ephah.
is not turned away, but his hand is stretched 11. Wo unto them that rise up early in out still. the morning, that they may follow strong 26. And he will lift up an ensign to the drink; that continue until night, till wine nations from far, and will hiss unto them inflame them!
from the end of the earth: and, behold, they 12. And the harp and the viol, the tabret || shall come with speed swiftly. " and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but | 27. None shall be weary nor stumble they regard not the work of the LORD, nei- || among them; none shall slumber nor sleep; ther consider the operation of his hands. neither shall the girdle of their loins be loos
13. Therefore my people are gone into ed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken: captivity, because they have no knowledge; L 28. Whose arrows are sharp, and all their and their honourable men are famished, and bows bent, their horses' hoofs shall be their multitude dried up with thirst. counted like flint, and their wheels like a
14. Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, whirlwind: and opened her mouth without measure: 29. Their roaring shall be like a lion, they and their glozy,and their multitude, and their shall roar like young lions; yea, they shall pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend roar, and lay hold of the prey, and shall into it.
carry it away safe, and none shall deliver it. 15. And the mean man shall be brought | 30. And in that day they shall roar against down, and the mighty man shall be hum-them like the roaring of the sea; and if one bled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be look unto the land, behold darkness and sorhumbled :
row; and the light is darkened in the hea16. But the LORD of hosts shall be ex vens thereof. alted in judgment, and God, that is holy, ||
CHAP. VI. shall be sanctified in righteousness.
Isaiah's vision of the Lord's glory. 17. Then shall the lambs feed after their || 1. IN the year that king Uzziah died I manner, and the waste places of the fat | I saw also the LORD sitting upon a ones shall strangers eat.
| throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled 18. Wo unto them that draw iniquity | the temple. with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with | 2. Above it stood the seraphims: each a cart-rope!
one had six wings; with twain he covered 19. That say, Let him make speed, and his face, and with twain he covered his feet, hasten his work, that we may see it: and || and with twain he did fly. let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel 3. And one cried unto another, and said, draw nigh and come, that we may know it! Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts; the
20. Wo unto them that call evil good, || whole earth is full of hisglory. and good evil; that put darkness for light, 4. And the posts of the door moved at the and light for darkness; that put bitter for | voice of him that cried, and the house was
filled with smoke. 21. Wo unto them that are wise in their 5. Then said I, Wo is me! for I am unown eyes, and prudent in their own sight! done; because I am a man of unclean lips,
22. Wo unto them that are mighty to and I dwell in the midst of a people of un drink wine, and men of strength to mingle clean lips: for mine eyes have seen the strong drink:
|| King, the LORD of hosts.
omni Wo unteet for bitter at put bitt
6. Then flew.coal in his hand, we altar;
7. Thus neither shall it comamascus
1 6. Then flew one of the seraphims unto | set a king in the midst of it, even the son of me, having a live coal in his hand, which he Tabeal: had taken with the tongs from off the altar; 7. Thus saith the Lord God, It shall
7. And he laid it upon my mouth, and not stand, neither shall it come to pass. said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips, and 18. For the head of Syria is Damascus, and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin the head of Damascus is Rezin; and withpurged.
| in threescore and five years shall Ephraim 3. Also I heard the voice of the LORD, be broken, that it be not a people. saying, Whom shall I send, and who will 9. And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. me.
If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not 9. And he said, Go, and tell this people, be established. Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and 10. Moreover, the LORD spake again see ye indeed, but perceive not.
unto Ahaz, saying, 10. Make the heart of this people fat, and 1 11. Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God: make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; ask it either in the depth, or in the height Jest they see with their eyes, and hear with above. their ears, and understand with their heart, 12. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither and convert, and be healed.
will I tempt the LORD. 11. Then said I, Lord, how long? And | 13. And he said, Hear ye now, O house he answered, Until the cities be wasted with of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary out inhabitant, and the houses without man, men, but will ye weary my God also ? and the land be utterly desolate;
14. Therefore the LORD himself shall give 12. And the LORD have removed men far you a sign: Behold, a Virgin shall conceive, away, and there be a great forsaking in the and bear a son, and shall call his name midst of the land.
Immanuel. 13. But yet in it shall be a tenth, and it 15. Butter and honey shall he eat, that shall return, and shall be eaten : as a teil- he may know to refuse the evil, and choose tree, and as an oak, whose substance is in the good: them when they cast their leaves, so the holy 16. For before the child shall know to reseed shall be the substance thereof. fuse the evil, and choose the good, the land CHAP. VII.
that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of 1 Ahaz is comforted by Isaiah. 14 Christ promised. both her kings. 1. AND it came to pass in the days of 17. The LORD shall bring upon thee, and
A Abaz the son of Jotham, the son of upon thy people, and upon thy father's Uzziah king of Judah, that Rezin the king house, days that have not come, from the of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, day that Ephraim departed from Judah; king of Israel, went up towards Jerusalem even the king of Assyria. to war against it, but could not prevail 18. And it shall come to pass in that day, against it.
that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in 2. And it was told the house of David, the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim: for the bee that is in the land of Assyria: and his heart was moved, and the heart of 19. And they shall come, and shall rest his people, as the trees of the wood are all of them in the desolate valleys, and in
the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, 3. Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go and upon all bushes. forth now to meet Ahaz, thou and Shear-| 20. In the same day shall the LORD shave jashub thy son, at the end of the conduit with a razor that is hired, namely, by them
| head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall 4. And say unto him, Take heed, and be also consume the beard. quiet; fear not, neither be faint-hearted, for 21. And it shall come to pass in that day, the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for that a man shall nourish a young cow and the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and two sheep: of the son of Remaliah.
22. And it shall come to pass, for the 5. Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son abundance of milk that they shall give, he of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall thee, saying,
ll every one eat that is left in the land. 6. Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, 23. And it shall come to pass in that day, and let us make a breach therein for us, and that every place shall be, where there were
a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, and let him be your fear, and let him be your it shall even be for briers and thorns. dread.
24. With arrows and with bows shall men 14. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but come thither; because all the land shall for a stone of stumbling, and for a rock of become briers and thorns.
offence, to both the houses of Israel; for a gin 25. And on all hills that shall be digged and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jeruwith the mattock, there shall not come salem. thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it | 15. And many among them shall stumble shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and for the treading of lesser cattle.
be taken. CHAP. VIII.
16. Bind up the testimony, seal the law Comfort shall be to them that fear God. among my disciples. TOREOVER the LORD said unto 17. And I will wait upon the LORD, that 1 me, Take thee a great roll, and hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and write in it with a man's pen concerning | I will look for him. Maher-shalal-hash-baz.
18. Behold, I, and the children whom the 2. And I took unto me faithful witnesses Lord hath given me, are for signs and for to record, Uriah the priest, and Zechariah wonders in Israel, from the LORD of hosts the son of Jeberechiah.
which dwelleth in mount Zion. 3. And I went unto the prophetess; and 19. And when they shall say unto you, she conceived and bare a son. Then said | Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, the LORD to me, Call his name Maher-shalal and unto wizards that peep and that muthash-baz:
ter; should not a people seek unto their 4. For before the child shall have know-| God? for the living to the dead? ledge to cry, My father, and my mother, the 20. To the law and to the testimony: if . riches of Damascus, and the spoil of Samaria they speak not according to this word, it is shall be taken away before the king of As because there is no light in them. syria.
| 21. And they shall pass through it hardly 5. 1 The LORD spake also unto me again, bestead and hungry: and it shall come to saying,
pass, that, when they shall be hungry, they 6. Forsomuch as this people refuseth the shall fret themselves, and curse their king waters of Shiloah that go softly, and rejoice and their God, and look upward. in Rezin and Remaliah's son ;
22. And they shall look unto the earth; 7. Now therefore, behold, the Lord bring- and behold trouble and darkness, dimness eth up upon them the waters of the river, of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkstrong and many, even the king of Assyria, ness. and all his glory: and he shall come up over
CHAP. IX. all his channels, and go over all his banks: What joy shall be in the midst of afflictions by Christ.
8. And he shall pass through Judah; he 1. N EVERTHELESS, the dimness shall overflow and go over; he shall reach I shall not be such as was in her even to the neck: and the stretching out of vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicthis wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, ed the land of Zebulun and the land of 0 Immanuel.
Naphtali, and afterward did more griev9. Associate yourselves, O ye people, andously afflict her by the way of the sea, beye shall be broken in pieces; and give ear, yond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations. all ye of far countries: gird yourselves, and 2. The people that walked in darkness ye shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, have seen a great light: they that dwell in and ye shall be broken in pieces.
the land of the shadow of death, upon them 10. Take counsel together, and it shall hath the light shined. come to nought; speak the word, and it | 3. Thou hast multiplied the nation, and shall not stand: for God is with us, not increased the joy: they joy before thee
11. For the LORD spake thus to me with according to the joy in harvest, and as men a strong hand, and instructed me, that I rejoice when they divide the spoil. should not walk in the way of this people, 4. For thou hast broken the yoke of his saying,
burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod 12. Say ye not, A confederacy, to all | of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian. them to whom this people shall say, A con 5. For every battle of the warrior is with federacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor, be confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; afraid.
but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. 13. Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; 6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a
Son is given ; and the government shall be || they shall eat every man the flesh of his upon his shoulder: and his name shall be own arm: called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty || 21. Manasseh, Ephraim; and Ephraim God, The everlasting Father, The Prince || Manas-eh: and they together shall be against of Peace.
Judah. For all this his anger is not turned 7. Of the increase of his government and away, but his hand is stretched out still. peace there shall be no end, upon the throne
CHAP. X. of David, and upon his kingdom, to order || 1 The wo of tyrants. 24 Israel is comforted with a promise it, and to establish it with judgment and
of deliverance from Assyria. with justice, from henceforth even for ever. TO unto them that decree unrighThe zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform L IV teous decrees, and that write grierthis.
ousness which they have prescribed: 8. I The Lord sent a word into Jacob, U 2. To turn aside the needy from judgand it hath lighted upon Israel.
ment, and to take away the right from the 9. And all the people shall know, even || poor of my people, that widows may be their Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, prey, and that they may rob the fatherless! that say in the pride and stoutness of heart, 3. And what will ye do in the day of visita
10. The bricks are fallen down, but we tion, and in the desolation which shall come will build with hewn stones; the sycamores from far? to whom will ye flee for help? and are cut down, but we will change them into where will ye leave your glory? cedars.
4. Without me they shall bow down un11. Therefore the LORD shall set up the der the prisoners, and they shall fall under adversaries of Rezin against him, and join the slain. For all this his anger is not turnhis enemies together;
ed away, but his hand is stretched out still. 12. The Syrians before, and the Philis 5. O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and tines behind; and they shall devour Israel the staff in their hand is mine indignation. with open mouth. For all this his anger is 6. I will send him against a hypocritical not turned away, but his hand is stretched || nation, and against the people of my wrath out still.
|| will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, 13. For the people turneth not unto him || and to take the prey, and to tread them that smiteth them, neither do they seek the down like the mire of the streets. LORD of hosts.
7. Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither 14. Therefore the LORD will cut off from doth his heart think so; but it is in his heart Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in to destroy and cut off nations not a few. one day.
8. For he saith, Are not my princes alto15. The ancient and honourable, he is the || gether kings ? ' head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he 9. Is not Calno as Carchemish? is not is the tail.
Hamath as Arpad ? is not Samaria as Da. 16. For the leaders of this people cause mascus ? them to err; and they that are led of them 10. As my hand hath found the kingare destroyed.
doms of the idols, and whose graven images 17. Therefore the LORD shall have no did excel them of Jerusalem and of Samaria; joy in their young men, neither shall have 11. Shall I not, as I have done unto Samercy on their fatherless and widows: formaria and her idols, so do to Jerusalem and every one is a hypocrite and an evil-doer, her idols? and every mouth speaketh folly. For all 12. Wherefore it shall come to pass, that, this his anger is not turned away, but his when the LORD hath performed his whole hand is stretched out still.
work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem, 18. For wickedness burneth as the fire: I will punish the fruit of the stout heart of it shall devour the briers and thorns, and the king of Assyria, and the glory of his shall kindle in the thickets of the forest; || high looks. and they shall mount up like the lifting up || 13. For he saith, By the strength of my of smoke.
| hand I have done it, and by my wisdom; 19. Through the wrath of the LORD of for I am prudent: and I have removed the hosts is the land darkened, and the people || bounds of the people, and have robbed their shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall treasures, and I have put down the inhabitspare his brother.
ants like a valiant man: * 20. And he shall snatch on the right 14. And my hand hath found, as a nest, the hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on riches of the people: and as one gathereth the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: il eggs that are left, have I gathered all the
ne: and it onese hity shall be humble down the thic
earth; and there was none that moved the | have taken up their lodging at Geba; Ramah wing, or opened the mouth, or peeped is afraid; Gibeah of Saul is fled.
15. Shall the axe boast itself against him | 30. Lift up thy voice, O daughter of that heweth therewith ? or shall the saw Gallim; cause it to be heard unto Laish, magnify itself against him that shaketh it? | O poor Anathoth. as if the rod should shake itself against them 31. Madmenah is removed; the inhabithat lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up tants of Gebim gather themselves to flee. itself, as if it were no wood.
32. As yet shall he remain at Nob that 16. Therefore shall the Lord, the Lord day: he shall shake his hand against the of hosts, send among his fat ones leanness; mount of the daughter of Zion, the hill of and under his glory he shall kindle a burn- | Jerusalem. ing like the burning of a fire.
33. Behold, the Lord, the Lord of hosts, 17. And the light of Israel shall be for a shall lop the bough with terror: and the high fire, and his Holy One for a flame: and it ones of stature shall be hewn down, and the shall burn and devour his thorns and his haughty shall be humbled. briers in one day;
34. And he shall cut down the thickets 18. And shall consume the glory of his of the forests with iron, and Lebanon shall forest, and of his fruitful field, both soul and || fall by a mighty one, body: and they shall be as when a standard.
CHAP. XI. bearer fainteth.
The peaceable kingdom of the Branch out of the root of Jesse. 19. And the rest of the trees of his fo- 1. AND there shall come forth a rod out rest shall be few, that a child may write of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch them.
shall grow out of his roots: 20. And it shall come to pass in that day, 2. And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest that the remnant of Israel, and such as are upon him, the spirit of wisdom and underescaped of the house of Jacob, shall no standing, the spirit of counsel and might, more again stay upon him that smote them; the spirit of knowledge, and of the fear of but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy || the LORD; One of Israel, in truth.
3. And shall make him of quick under21. The remnant shall return, even the standing in the fear of the LORD: and he remnant of Jacob, into the mighty God. shall not judge after the sight of his eyes,
22. For though thy people Israel be as neither reprove after the hearing of his ears. the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them | 4. But with righteousness shall he judge shall return: the consumption decreed shall the poor, and reprove with equity for the overflow with righteousness.
meek of the earth: and he shall smite the 23. For the Lord GOD of hosts shall earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the make a consumption, even determined, fik breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. the inidst of all the land.
5. And righteousness shall be the girdle of 24. Therefore thus saith the Lord God his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his of hosts, O my people that dwellest in Zion, reins. be not afraid of the Assyrian: he shall smite 6. The wolf also shall dwell with the thee with a rod, and shall lift up his staff lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with
st thee, after the manner of Egypt. the kid; and the calf, and the young lion, 25. For yet a very little while, and the and the fatling together; and a little child indignation shall cease, and mine anger, in shall lead them. their destruction.
7. And the cow and the bear shall feed; 26. And the Lord of hosts shall stir up their young ones shall lie down together: a scourge for him, according to the slaughter and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. of Midian at the rock of Oreb: and as his | 8. And the sucking child shall play on the
And it shah of the origine role
reprove a alter the sighord: an
after the manner of Egypt.
I put his hand on the cockatrice' den. 27. And it shall come to pass in that 9. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all day, that his burden shall be taken away my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters off thy neck, and the yoke shall be des- cover the sea. troyed because of the anointing.
| 10. And in that day there shall be a root 28. He is come to Aiath, he is passed to of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of Migron; at Michmash he hath laid up his the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek : carriages:
and his rest shall be glorious. 29. They are gone over the passage: they | 11. And it shall come to pass in that day,
up this the best pet shall be glorioupass in that day,