« PreviousContinue »
help us against the enemy in the way: be- || fering: all this was a burnt-offering unto the cause we had spoken unto the king, saying, LORD. The hand of our God is upon all them for 36. And they delivered the king's comgood that seek him ; but his power and his missions unto the king's lieutenants, and to wrath is against all them that forsake him. the governors on this side the river; and they
23. So we fasted, and besought our God furthered the people, and the house of God. for this; and he was entreated of us.
CHAP. IX. 24. Then I separated twelve of the chief || Ezra prayeth unto God with confession of sins. of the priests, Sherebiah, Hashabiah, and 1. OW when these things were done, ten of their brethren with them, .
I the princes came to me, saying, 25. And weighed unto them the silver, The people of Israel, and the priests, and and the gold, and the vessels, even the offer the Levites, have not separated themselves ing of the house of our God, which the king, from the people of the lands, doing accordand his counsellors, and his lords, and all ing to their abominations, even of the CaIsrael there present, had offered; . | naanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the
26. I even weighed unto their hand six Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, hundred and fifty talents of silver, and silver the Egyptians, and the Amorites. vessels a hundred talents, and of gold a 2. For they have taken of their daughters hundred talents;
for themselves, and for their sons; so that 27. Also twenty basons of gold, of a thou- the holy seed have mingled themselves with sand drams; and two vessels of fine cop- the people of those lands: yea, the hand of per, precious as gold.
the princes and rulers hath been chief in 28. And I said unto them, Ye are holy this trespass. unto the LORD; the vessels are holy also; 3. And when I heard this thing, I rent and the silver and the gold are a free-will- my garment and my mantle, and plucked offering unto the Lord God of your fathers : off the hair of my head and of my beard,
29. Watch ye, and keep them, until ye and sat down astonished. weigh them before the chief of the priests 4. Then were assembled unto me every and the Levites, and chief of the fathers of one that trembled at the words of the God Israel, at Jerusalem, in the chambers of the of Israel, because of the transgression of
those that had been carried away; and I sat 30. So took the priests and the Levites astonished until ihe evening sacrifice. the weight of the silver, and the gold, and 5. And at the evening-sacrifice 1 arose the vessels, to bring them to Jerusalem, unto up from my heaviness; and having rent my the house of our God.
garment and my mantle, I fell upon my 31. Then we departed from the river of knees, and spread out my hands unto the Ahava, on the twelfth day of the first LORD my God, month, to go unto Jerusalem: and the hand | 6. And said, O my God! I am ashamed of our God was upon us, and he delivered and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: us from the hand of the enemy, and of such for our iniquities are increased over our head, as lay in wait by the way.
and our trespass is grown up unto the 32. And we came to Jerusalem, and heavens. abode there three days.
7. Since the days of our fathers have we 33. Now on the fourth day was the been in a great trespass unto this day: and silver, and the gold, and the vessels, weigh- for our iniquities have we, our kings, and our ed in the house of our God by the hand of priests, been delivered into the hand of the Meremoth the son of Uriah the priest ; || kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, and with him was Eleazar the son of Phine- and to a spoil, and to confusion of face, as has; and with them was Jozabad the son | it is this day. of Jeshua, and Noadiah the son of Binnui, 8. And now for a little space grace hath Levites;
| been showed from the LORD our God, to 34. By number and by weight of every leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us one: and all the weight was written at that a nail in his holy place, that our God may time,
| lighten our eyes, and give us a little reviving 35. Also the children of those that had in our bondage. been carried away, which were come out 9. For we were bondmen; yet our God of the captivity, offered burnt-offerings unto hath not forsaken us in our bondage, but hath the God of Israel, twelve bullocks for all extended mercy unto us in the sight of the Israel, ninety and six rams, seventy and kings of Persia, to give us a reviving, to set seven lambs, twelve he-goats for a sin-of- ! up the house of our God, and to repair the
Israel, at the LORD. priests an
desolations thereof, and to give us a wall in that they should do according to this word Judah and in Jerusalem.
And they sware. 10. And now, O our God, what shall we 6. Then Ezra rose up from before the say after this? for we have forsaken thy || house of God, and went into the chamber commandments,
1 of Johanan the son of Eliasbib: and when 11. Which thou hast commanded by thy he came thither, he did eat no bread, nor servants the prophets, saying, The land, drink water; for he mourned because of the unto which ye go to possess it, is an unclean transgression of them that had been carried land with the filthiness of the people of the away. lands, with their abominations, which have | 7. And they made proclamation throughfilled it from one end to another with their out Judah and Jerusalem unto all the chiluncleanness.
dren of the captivity, that they should gather 12. Now, therefore, give not your daugh- themselves together unto Jerusalem; ters unto their sons, neither take their daugh- | 8. And that whosoever would not come ters unto your sons, nor seek their peace or within three days, according to the counsel their wealth for ever; that ye may be strong, of the princes and the elders, all his suband eat the good of the land, and leave it for stance should be forfeited, and himself sean inheritance to your children for ever. I parated from the congregation of those that
13. And after all that is come upon us for || had been carried away. our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, 9. Then all the men of Judah and Benjaseeing that thou our God hast punished us | min gathered themselves together unto Jeruless than our iniquities deserve, and hast salem within three days: it was the ninth given us such deliverance as this;
month, and the twentieth day of the month; 14. Should we again break thy command and all the people sat in the street of the ments, and join in affinity with the people house of God, trembling because of this of these abominations, wouldest not thou | matter, and for the great rajn. be angry with us till thou hadst consumed | 10. And Ezra the priest stood up, and us, so that there should be no remnant nor | said unto them, Ye have transgressed, and escaping ?
have taken strange wives to increase the 15. O LORD God of Israel, thou art righ- trespass of Israel. teous; for we remain yet escaped, as it is | 11. Now therefore make confession unto this day; behold, we are before thee in our the LORD God of your fathers, and do his trespasses; for we cannot stand before thee pleasure; and separate yourselves from the because of this.
people of the land, and from the strange CHAP. X.
wives. Ezra mourning, assembleth the people.
12. Then all the congregation answered 1. W OW when Ezra had prayed, and and said with a loud voice, As thou hast
when he had confessed, weeping | said, so must we do. and casting himself down before the house 13. But the people are many, and it is of God, there assembled unto him out of Is- a time of much rain, and we are not able to rael a very great congregation of men, and stand without, neither is this a work of one women, and children: for the people wept day or two; for we are many that have very sore.
transgressed in this thing. 2. And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one 14. Let now our rulers of all the congreof the sons of Elam, answered and said unto | gation stand, and let all them which have Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, taken strange wives in our cities come at and have taken strange wives of the people appointed times, and with them the elders of the land : yet now there is hope in Israel of every city, and the judges thereof, until concerning this thing.
|| the fierce wrath of our God for this mat3. Now therefore let us make a covenant ter be turned from us. with our God to put away all the wives, and 1 15. Only Jonathan the son of Asahel, such as are born of them, according to the and Jahaziah the son of Tikvah, were emcounsel of my lord, and of those that trem-ployed about this matter; and Meshullam ble at the commandment of our God; and and Shabbethai the Levite helped them. let it be done according to the law.
16. And the children of the captivity did 4. Arise; for this matter belongeth unto so. And Ezra the priest, with certain chief thee: we also will be with thee; be of good of the fathers, after the house of their fathers, courage, and do it.
and all of them by their names, were se5. Then arose Ezra, and made the chief | parated, and sat down in the first day of the priests, the Levites, and all Israel, to swear I tenth month to examine the matter.
17. And they made an end with all the | Eliashib, Mattaniah, and Jeremoth, and men that had taken strange wives by the | Zabad, and Aziza. first day of the month.
28. Of the sons also of Bebai; Jehohanan, 18. And among the sons of the priests | Hananiah, Zabbai, and Athlai. there were found that had taken strange 29. And of the sons of Bani; Meshulwives; namely, of the sons of Jeshua the son lam, Malluch, and Adaiah, Jashub, and of Jozadak, and his brethren; Maaseiah, and Sheal, and Ramoth. Eliezer, and Jarib, and Gedaliah.
30. And of the sons of Pahath-moab; Adna, 19. And they gave their hands that they and Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattawould put away their wives; and being niah, Bezaleel, and Binnui, and Manasseh. guilty, they offered a ram of the flock for 31. And of the sons of Harim; Eliezer, their trespass.
| Ishijah, Malchiah, Shemaiah, Shimeon, 20. And of the sons of Immer; Hanani, 32. Benjamin, Malluch, and Shemariah. and Zebadiah.
33. Of the sons of Hashum; Mattenai, 21. And of the sons of Harim; Maaseiah, Mattathah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Maand Elijah, and Shemaiah, and Jehiel, and nasseh, and Shimei. Uzziah.
34. Of the sons of Bani; Maadai, Amram, 22. And of the sons of Pashur; Elioenai, and Uel, Maaseiah, Ishmael, Nethaneel, Jozabad, 35. Benaiah, Bedeiah, Chelluh, and Elasah.
36. Vaniah, Meremoth, Eliashib, 23. Also of the Levites; Jozabad, and 37. Mattaniah, Mattenai, and Jaasau, Shimei, and Kelaiah (the same is Kelita,) 38. And Bani, and Binnui, Shimei, Pethahjah, Judah, and Eliezer.
39. And Shelemiah, and Nathan, and 24. Of the singers also; Eliashib: and of | Adaiah, the porters; Shallum, and Telem, and Uri. 40. Machnadebai, Shashai, Sharai,
25. Moreover of Israel: of the sons of 41. Azareel, and Shelemiah, Shemariah, Parosh; Ramiah, and Jeziah, and Malcbiah, 42. Shallum, Amarjab, and Joseph. and Miamin, and Eleazar, and Malchijah, 43. Of the sons of Nebo; Jeiel, Matand Benaiah.
tithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jadau, and Joel, 26. And of the sons of Elam; Mattaniah, Benaiah. Zechariah, and Jehiel, and Abdi, and Jere- 44. All these had taken strange wives : moth, and Eliah.
and some of them had wives by whom they 27. And of the sons of Zattu ; Elioenai, I had children.
| The BOOK of NEHEMIAH. CHAP. I.
1 6. Let thine ear now be attentive, and Nehemiah mourneth, fasteth, and prayeth. thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the 1. THE words of Nehemiah the son of prayer of thy servant, which I pray before
1 Hachaliah. And it came to pass in thee now, day and night, for the children the month Chisleu, in the twentieth year, as of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins I was in Shushan the palace,
of the children of Israel, which we have 2. That Hanani, one of my brethren, sinned against thee: both I and my father's came, he and certain men of Judah; and I house have sinned. asked them concerning the Jews that had | 7. We have dealt very corruptly against escaped, which were left of the captivity, || thee, and have not kept the commandments, and concerning Jerusalem. .
nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which 3. And they said unto me, The remnant || thou commandedst thy servant Moses. that are left of the captivity there in the 8. Remember, I beseech thee, the word province are in great affliction and reproach: that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you and the gates thereof are burnt with fire. abroad among the nations:
4. And it came to pass, when I heard 9. But if ye turn unto me, and keep my these words, that I sat down and wept, and commandments, and do them ; though there mourned certain days, and fasted, and pray- | were of you cast out unto the uttermost part ed before the God of heaven,
of the heaven, yet will I gather them from 5. And said, I beseech thee, O Lord God thence, and will bring them unto the place of heaven, the great and terrible God, that that I have chosen to set my name there. keepeth covenant and mercy for them that 10. Now these are thy servants, and thy love him and observe his commandments; "people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy
great power, and by thy strong hand. || 11. So I came to Jerusalem, and was
11. O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine there three days. ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant 12. And I arose in the night, I and some "and to the prayer of thy servants, who de- few men with me; neither told I any man sire to fear thy name; and prosper, I pray what my God had put in my heart to do thee, thy servant this day, and grant him at Jerusalem: neither was there any beast mercy in the sight of this man: For I was with me, save the beast that I rode upon. the king's cup-bearer.
13. And I went out by night, by the gate CHAP. II.
of the valley, even before the dragon-well, Artaxerxes sendeth Nehemiah to Jerusalem. and to the dung-port, and viewed the walls 1. AND it came to pass in the month of Jerusalem which were broken down, and
1 Nisan, in the twentieth year of Ar the gates thereof were consumed with fire. taxerxes the king, that wine was before 14. Then I went on to the gate of the him: and I took up the wine, and gave it | fountain, and to the king's pool : but there unto the king. Now I had not been before was no place for the beast that was under time sad in his presence.
me to pass. 2. Wherefore the king said unto me, 15. Then went I up in the night by the Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou | brook, and viewed the wall, and turned "art not sick ? this is nothing else but sorrow back, and entered by the gate of the valley, of heart. Then I was very sore afraid, and so returned.
3. And said unto the king, Let the king || 16. And the rulers knew not whither I live for ever: why should not my counte- went, or what I did; neither had I as yet nance be sad, when the city, the place of told it to the Jews, nor to the priests, nor to my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the || the nobles, nor to the rulers, nor to the rest gates thereof are consumed with fire? that did the work.
4. Then the king said unto me, For what | 17. Then said I unto them, Ye see the dost thou make request? So I prayed to the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth God of heaven.
waste, and the gates thereof are burnt with 5. And I said unto the king, If it please fire: come, and let us build up the wall of the king, and if thy servant have found fa- | Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach. vour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send . 18. Then I told them of the hand of my me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' God which was good upon me; as also the sepulchres, that I may build it.
king's words that he had spoken unto me. 6. And the king said unto me, (the queen And they said, Let us rise up and build. also sitting by him,) For how long shall So they strengthened their hands for this? thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? | good work. So it pleased the king to send me; and I 19. But when Sanballat the Horonite, and set him a time.
Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, and 7. Moreover, I said unto the king, If it Geshem the Arabian, heard it, they laughed please the king, let letters be given me to us to scorn, and despised us, and said, · the governors beyond the river, that they | What is this thing that ye do? will ye rebel may convey me over, till I come into against the king ? Judah;
20. Then answered I them, and said 8. And a letter unto Asaph the keeper of unto them, The God of heaven he will prosthe king's forest, that he may give me tim- per us; therefore we his servants will arise ber to make beams for the gates of the and build: but you have no portion, nor palace which appertained to the house, and right, nor memorial, in Jerusalem. for the wall of the city, and for the house
CHAP. III. that I shall enter into. And the king grant- || The names and order of them that builded the wall. ed me, according to the good hand of my 1. THEN Eliashib the high priest rose God upon me.
I up, with his brethren the priests, and 9. Then I came to the governors beyond they builded the sheep-gate; they sanctifiec the river, and gave them the king's letters. it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the (Now the king had sent captains of the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the army and horsemen with me.)
tower of Hananeel. 10. When Sanballat the Horonite, and | 2. And next unto bim builded the men Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, heard of Jericho. And next to them builded Zacof it, it grieved them exceedingly that there cur the son of Imri. was come a man to seek the welfare of the 3. But the fish-gate did the sons of Has. children of Israel.
Il senaah build, who also laid the beams
thereof, and set up the doors thereof, the chres of David, and to the pool that was locks thereof, and the bars thereof.
made, and unto the house of the mighty. 4. And next unto them repaired Meremoth || 17. After him repaired the Levites, Rethe son of Urijah, the son of Koz. And hum the son of Bani. Next unto him renext unto them repaired Meshullam the son paired Hashabiah, the ruler of the half part of Berechiah, the son of Meshezabeel. And of Keilah, in his part. next upto them repaired Zadok the son of 18. After him repaired their brethren, Baana.
Bavai the son of Henadad, the ruler of the 5. And next unto them the Tekoites re- half part of Keilah. paired; but their nobles put not their necks 19. And next to him repaired Ezer the to the work of their Lord.
son of Jeshua, the ruler of Mizpah, another 6. Moreover, the old gate repaired Je-piece over against the going up to the arhoiada the son of Paseah, and Meshullam moury, at the turning of the wall. the son of Besodeiah; they laid the beams 20. After him Baruch the son of Zabbai thereof, and set up the doors thereof, and earnestly repaired the other piece, from the the locks thereof, and the bars thereof. turning of the wall unto the door of the
7. Ard next unto them repaired Melatiah house of Eliashib the high priest. the Gibeonite, and Jadon the Meronothite, L 21. After him repaired Meremoth the son the men of Gibeon and of Mizpah, unto of Urijah, the son of Koz, another piece, the throne of the governor on this side the from the door of the house of Eliashib even river. .
to the end of the house of Eliashib. 8. Next unto him repaired Uzziel the son 22. And after him repaired the priests, the of Harhaiah, of the goldsmiths. Next unto men of the plain. him also repaired Hananiah the son of one 23. After him repaired Benjamin and of the apothecaries, and they fortified Je- Hashub, over against their house. After rusalem unto the broad wall.
him repaired Azariah the son of Maaseiah, 9. And next unto them repaired Rephaiah the son of Ananiah, by his house. the son of Hur, the ruler of the half part of 24. After him repaired Binnui the son of Jerusalem.
Henadad, another piece, from the house of 10. And next unto them repaired Jedaiah | Azariah unto the turning of the wall, even the son of Harumaph, even over against his unto the corner. house. And next unto him repaired Hat | 25. Palal the son of Uzai, over against tush the son of Hashabniah.
the turning of the wall, and the tower which 11. Malchijah the son of Harim, and Ha- lieth out from the king's high house, that was . shub the son of Pahath-moab, repaired the by the court of the prison. After him Peother piece, and the tower of the furnaces. daiah the son of Parosh.
12. And next unto him repaired Shallum | 26. Moreover, the Nethinims dwelt in the son of Halohesh, the ruler of the half Ophel, unto the place over against the waterpart of Jerusalem, he and his daughters. gate toward the east, and the tower that
13. The valley-gate repaired Hanun, and lieth out. the inhabitants of Zanoah; they built it, and 27. After them the Tekoites repaired anset up the doors thereof, the locks thereof,|| other piece, over against the great tower and the bars thereof, and a thousand cubits that lieth out, even unto the wall of Ophel. on the wall unto the dung-gate.
28. From above the horse-gate repaired 14. But the dung-gate repaired Malchiah the priests, every one over against his house. the son of Rechab, the ruler of part of 29. After them repaired Zadok the son Beth-haccerem; he built it, and set up the of Immer, over against his house. After him doors thereof, the locks thereof, and the repaired also Shemaiah the son of Shechabars thereof.
| niah, the keeper of the east gate. 15. But the gate of the fountain repaired | 30. After him repaired Hananiah the son Shallum the son of Col-hozeh, the ruler of of Shelemiah, and Hanun the sixth son of part of Mizpah: he built it, and covered it, Zalaph, another piece. After him repaired and set up the doors thereof, the locks || Meshullam the son of Berechiah, over thereof, and the bars thereof, and the wall against his chamber. of the pool of Siloah by the king's garden, | 31. After him repaired Malchiah the goldand unto the stairs that go down from the smith's son, unto the place of the Nethicity of David.
nims, and of the merchants, over against 16. After him repaired Nehemiah the son the gate Miphkad, and to the going up of of Azbuk, the ruler of the half part of Beth- the corner." zur, unto the place over against the sepul- || 32. And between the going up of the cor