« PreviousContinue »
od Zechahe Levites them work faithfull, b24. This
city, and Joah the son of Joahaz the recor- || 21. Go, inquire of the Lord for me, and der, to repair the house of the Lord his God. || for them that are left in Israel and in Judah,
9. And when they came to Hilkiah the concerning the words of the book that is high priest, they delivered the money that found : for great is the wrath of the LORD was brought into the house of God, which || that is poured out upon us, because our the Levites that kept the doors had gathered fathers have not kept the word of the LORD, of the hand of Manasseh and Ephraim, and to do after all that is written in this book. of all the remnant of Israel, and of all | 22. And Hilkiah, and they that the king Judah and Benjamin, and they returned had appointed, went to Huldah the proto Jerusalem.
phetess, the wise of Shallum the son of 10. And they put it in the hand of the Tikvath, the son of Hasrah keeper of the workmen that had the oversight of the house wardrobe ; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem of the LORD, and they gave it to the work in the college;) and they spake to her to men that wrought in the house of the that effect. LORD, to repair and mend the house; 23." And she answered them, Thus saith
11. Even to the artificers and builders | the LORD God of Israel, Tell ye the man gave they it, to buy hewn stone and timber | that sent you to me, for couplings, and to floor the houses which | 24. Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will the kings of Judah had destroyed.
bring evil upon this place, and upon the 12. And the men did the work faithfully : | inhabitants thereof, even all the curses that and the overseers of them were Jahath and are written in the book which they have Obadiah, the Levites, of the sons of Merari; read before the king of Judah: and Zechariah and Meshullam, of the sons. 25. Because they have forsaken me, and of the Kohathites, to set it forward : and have burned incense unto other gods, that other of the Levites, all that could skill of they might provoke me to anger with all instruments of music.
the works of their hands; therefore my 13. Also they were over the bearers of wrath shall be poured out upon this place, burdens, and were overseers of all that and shall not be quenched. wrought the work in any manner of service; || 26. And as for the king of Judah, who and of the Levites there were scribes, and sent you to inquire of the Lord, so shall officers, and porters.
ye say unto him, Thus saith the LORD God 14. And when they brought out the l of Israel, concerning the words which thou money that was brought into the house of hast heard; the LORD, Hilkiah the priest found a book | 27. Because thy heart was tender, and of the law of the Lord given by Moses. thou didst humble thyself before God, when
15. And Hilkiah answered and said to thou heardest his words against this place, Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book and against the inhabitants thereof, and humof the law in the house of the LORD. And bledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy Hilkiah delivered the book to Shaphan. clothes, and weep before me; I have even
16. And Shaphan carried the book to heard thee also, saith the LORD. the king, and brought the king word back |28. Behold, I will gather thee to thy again, saying, All that was committed to fathers, and thou shalt be gathered to thy thy servants, they do it.
grave in peace, neither shall thine eyes see 17. And they have gathered together the || all the evil that I will bring upon this place, money that was found in the house of the and upon the inhabitants of the same. So LORD, and have delivered it into the hand they brought the king word again. of the overseers, and to the hand of the 29. Then the king sent and gathered toworkmen.
gether all the elders of Judah and Jerusalem. 18. Then Shaphan the scribe told the 30. And the king went up into the house king, saying, Hilkiah the priest hath given of the LORD, and all the men of Judah, me a book. And Shaphan read it before and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the the king :
priests, and the Levites, and all the people, 19. And it came to pass, when the king great and small; and he read in their ears had heard the words of the law, that he all the words of the book of the covenant rent his clothes.
that was found in the house of the Lord. . 20. And the king commanded Hilkiah, 31. And the king stood in his place, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Ab- and made a covenant before the LORD, to don the son of Micah, and Shaphan the walk after the LORD, and to keep his scribe, and Asaiah a servant of the king's, commandments, and his testimonies, and saying,
|| his statutes, with all his heart, and with
hamil nget was found in the bookmad in the people,
all his soul, to perform the words of the five thousand small cattle, and five hundred covenant which are written in this book. oxen.
32. And he caused all that were present | 10. So the service was prepared, and the in Jerusalem and Benjamin to stand to it. priests stood in their place, and the Levites And the inhabitants of Jerusalem did ac- in their courses, according to the king's comcording to the covenant of God, the God mandment. of their fathers.
11. And they killed the passover, and the 33. And Josiah took away all the abomi- priests sprinkled the blood from their hands, nations out of all the countries that per and the Levites flayed them. tained to the children of Israel, and made 12. And they removed the burnt-offerings, all that were present in Israel to serve, even that they might give according to the dito serve the LORD their God. And all his visions of the families of the people, to offer days they departed not from following the unto the LORD, as it is written in the book LORD, the God of their fathers.
of Moses : and so did they with the oxen. CHAP. XXXV.
13. And they roasted the passover with Josiah keepeth a most solemn passover. fire, according to the ordinance: but the other M O REOVER, Josiah kept a passover holy offerings sod they in pots, and in cal
1 unto the Lord in Jerusalem : and drons, and in pans, and divided them speedily they killed the passover on the fourteenth | among all the people. day of the first month.
14. And afterward they made ready for 2. And he set the priests in their charges, themselves, and for the priests : because the and encouraged them to the service of the priests the sons of Aaron were busied in offerhouse of the LORD,
ing of burnt-offerings and the fat until night; 3. And said unto the Levites that taught therefore the Levites prepared for themall Israel, which were holy unto the LORD, selves, and for the priests the sons of Aaron. Put the holy ark in the house which Solo- 15. And the singers the sons of Asaph, mon the son of David king of Israel did were in their place, according to the combuild; it shall not be a burden upon your mandment of David, and Asaph, and Heshoulders; serve now the LORD your God, man, and Jeduthun the king's seer: and the and his people Israel,
porters waited at every gate: they might not 4. And prepare yourselves by the houses depart from their service; for their brethren of your fathers, after your courses, accord- the Levites prepared for them. ing to the writing of David king of Israel, 16. So all the service of the LORD was and according to the writing of Solomon prepared the same day, to keep the passover, his son;
and to offer burnt-offerings upon the altar of 5. And stand in the holy place, according the Lord, according to the commandment to the divisions of the families of the fathers of king Josiah. of your brethren the people, and after the 17. And the children of Israel that were division of the families of the Levites: present kept the passover at that time, and
6. So kill the passover, and sanctify your the feast of unleavened bread seven days. selves, and prepare your brethren, that they 18. And there was no passover like to that may do according to the word of the LORD kept in Israel, from the days of Samuel the by the hand of Moses.
prophet; neither did all the kings of Israel 7. And Josiah gave to the people, of the | keep such a passover as Josiah kept, and the flock, lambs and kids, all for the passover- || priests, and ihe Levites, and all Judah and offerings, for all that were present, to the Israel that were present, and the inhabitants number of thirty thousand, and three thou- of Jerusalem. sand bullocks: these were of the king's 19. In the eighteenth year of the reign of substance.
Josiah was this passover kept. 8. And his princes gave willingly unto 20. 9 After all this, when Josiah had prethe people, to the priests, and to the Le-pared the temple, Necho king of Egypt vites: Hilkiah and Zechariah and Jehiel, came up to fight against Carchemish by rulers of the house of God, gave unto the Euphrates: and Josiah went out against him. priests for the passover-offerings two thou- | 21. But he sent ambassadors to him, sand and six hundred small cattle, and saying, What have I to do with thee, thou three hundred oxen.
king of Judah? I come not against thee this 9. Conaniah also, and Shemaiah, and day, but against the house wherewith I have Nethaneel, his brethren, and Hashabiah, || war; for God commanded me to make and Jehiel, and Jozabad, chief of the Levites, haste: forbear thee from meddling with God, gave unto the Levites, for passover-offerings, ll who is with me, that he destroy thee not,
22. Nevertheless, Josiah would not turn his he began to reign; and he reigned three face from him, but disguised himself, that he months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he might fight with him, and hearkened not unto did that which was evil in the sight of the the words of Necho from the mouth of God, | LORD. and came to fight in the valley of Megiddo. 10. And when the year was expired, king
23. And the archers shot at king Josiah: Nebuchadnezzar sent and brought him to and the king said to his servants, Have me Babylon, with the goodly vessels of the house away; for I am sore wounded.
of the LORD, and made Zedekiah his brother 24. His servants therefore took him out of king over Judah and Jerusalem. that chariot, and put him in the second cha 11. q Zedekiah was one and twenty years riot that he had; and they brought him to old when he began to reign; and reigned Jerusalem, and he died, and was buried in eleven years in Jerusalem. one of the sepulchres of his fathers : and all 12. And he did that which was evil in the Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josiah, sight of the Lord bis God, and humbled not
25. And Jeremiah lamented for Josiah; and himself before Jeremiah the prophet, speaks all the singing.men and the singing-women ing from the mouth of the LORD. spake of Josiah in their lamentations to this I 13. And he also rebelled against king Neday, and made them an ordinance in Israel: buchadnezzar, who had made him swear by and, behold, they are written in the Lamen God: but he stiffened his neck, and hardentations.
ed his heart from turning unto the LORD 26. Now the rest of the acts of Josiah, and God of Israel. bis goodness, according to that which was 14. Moreover, all the chief of the priests, written in the law of the LORD,
and the people, transgressed very much, 27. And his deeds, first and last, behold, after all the abominations of the heathen, and they are written in the book of the Kings polluted the house of the LORD which he of Israel and Judah.
had hallowed in Jerusalem. CHAP. XXXVI.
15. And the LORD God of their fathers Jehoahaz succeeding, is deposed by Pharaoh. sent to them by his messengers, rising up be1. THEN the people of the land took Je- | times, and sending; because he had com
Thoahaz the son of Josiah, and made passion on his people, and on his dwellinghim king in his father's stead in Jerusalem. I place:
2. Jehoahaz was twenty and three years 16. But they mocked the messengers of old when he began to reign; and he reigned God, and despised his words, and misused three months in Jerusalem.
his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD 3. And the king of Egypt put him down arose against his people, till there was no at Jerusalem, and condemned the land in a remedy. hundred talents of silver, and a talent of gold. 17. Therefore he brought upon them the
4. And the king of Egypt made Eliakim king of the Chaldees, who slew their young his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem, men with the sword in the house of their and turned his name to Jehoiakim. And sanctuary, and had no compassion upon Necho took Jehoahaz his brother, and car young man or maiden, old man, or him that ried bim to Egypt.
stooped for age; he gave them all into his hand. 5. Jehoiakim was twenty and five years. 18. And all the vessels of the house of old when he began to reign; and he reigned God, great and small, and the treasures of eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that the house of the LORD, and the treasures of which was evil in the sight of the Lord his the king and of his princes, all these he God.
|| brought to Babylon. 6. Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar 19. And they burnt the house of God, and king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, brake down the wall of Jerusalem, and to carry him to Babylon.
burnt all the palaces thereof with fire, and 7. Nebuchadnezzar also carried of the destroyed all the goodly vessels thereof.. vessels of the house of the LORD to Babylon, 20. And them that had escaped from the and put them in his temple at Babylon. sword carried he away to Babylon, where
8. Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, || they were servants to him and his sons, until and his abominations which he did, and that the reign of the kingdom of Persia : which was found in him, behold, they are 21. To fulfil the word of the LORD by the written in the book of the kings of Israel and | mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enJudah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his joyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay stead.
desolate she kept sabbath, to fulħl threescore 9.1 Jehoiachin was eight years old when || and ten years.
22. 1 Now, in the first year of Cyrus king || 23. Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the of Persia, (that the word of the LORD kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah might be of heaven given me, and he hath charged accomplished, the LORD stirred up the me to build him a house in Jerusalem, spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made which is in Judah. Who is there among you a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, of all his people ? the Lord his God be and put it also in writing, saying, with him, and let him go up.
11. All the vessels of gold and of silver The proclamation of Cyrus for the building of the temple. | were five thousand and four hundred. All N OW in the first year of Cyrus king these did Sheshbazzar bring up with them of
of Persia, (that the word of the | the captivity, that were brought up from LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be Babylon unto Jerusalem. fulfilled,) the Lord stirred up the spirit of
CHAP. II. Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a pro The number that return of the people and priests, clamation throughout all his kingdom, and || 1. N OW these are the children of the put it also in writing, saying,
W province that went up out of the 2. Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The captivity, of those which had been carried LORD God of heaven hath given me all the away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged Babylon had carried away unto Babylon, me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which and came again unto Jerusalem and Judah, is in Judah:
every one unto his city; 3. Who is there among you of all his peo 2. Which came with Zerubbabel: Jeshua, ple? his God be with him, and let him go Nehemiah, Seraiali, Reelajah, Mordecai, up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and Bilshan, Mizpar, Bigvai, Rehum, Baanah. build the house of the LORD God of Israel The number of the men of the people of (he is the God) which is in Jerusalem. Israel.
4. And whosoever remaineth in any place 3. The children of Parosh, two thousand where he sojourneth, let the men of his place a hundred seventy and two. help him with silver, and with gold, and 4. The children of Shephatiah, three hunwith goods, and with beasts, besides the dred seventy and two. free-will-offering for the house of God that 5. The children of Arah, seven hundred is in Jerusalem.
seventy and five. 5. Then rose up the chief of the fathers 6. The children of Pahath-inoab, of the of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests, children of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand and the Levites, with all them whose spirit | eight hundred and twelve. God had raised to go up to build the house 7. The children of Elam, a thousand two of the Lord which is in Jerusalem. hundred fifty and four.
6. And all they that were about them 8. The children of Zattu, nine hundred strengthened their hands with vessels of forty and five. silver, with gold, with goods, and with beasts, I 9. The children of Zaccai, seven hundred and with precious things, besides all that was and threescore. willingly offered.
10. The children of Bani, six hundred 7. Also Cyrus the king brought forth the forty and two. vessels of the house of the Lord, which 11. The children of Bebai, six hundred Nebuchadnezzar had brought forth out of twenty and three. Jerusalem, and had put them in the house i 12. The children of Azgad, a thousand of his gods;
two hundred twenty and two. 8. Even those did Cyrus king of Persia | 13. The children of Adonikam, six hunbring forth by the hand of Mithredath the dred sixty and six. treasurer, and numbered them unto Shesh- 14. The children of Bigvai, two thousand bazzar the prince of Judah.
fifty and six. 9. And this is the number of them: thirty 15. The children of Adin, four hundred chargers of gold, a thousand chargers of fifty and four.. silver, nine and twenty knives,
16. The children of Ater of Hezekiah, 10. Thirty basons of gold, silver basons of ninety and eight. a second sort four hundred and ten, and 17. The children of Bezai, three hundred other vessels a thousand.
Il twenty and three.
18. The children of Jorah, a hundred and I 46. The children of Hagab, the children twelve.
of Shalmai, the children of Hanan, 19. The children of Hashum, two hun- 47. The children of Giddel, the children dred twenty and three.
of Gahar, the children of Reaiah, 20. The children of Gibbar, ninety and five. 48. The children of Rezin, the children
21. The children of Beth-lehem, a hun- of Nekoda, the children of Gazzam, dred twenty and three.
49. The children of Uzza, the children of 22. The men of Netophah, fifty and six. | Paseah, the children of Besai,
23. The men of Anathoth,' a hundred 50. The children of Asnah, the children twenty and eight.
of Mehunim, the children of Nephusim, 24. The children of Azmaveth, forty and 51. The children of Bakbuk, the children two.
of Hakupha, the children of Harhur, 25. The children of Kirjath-arim, Chephi- 52. The children of Bazluth, the children rah, and Beeroth, seven hundred and forty of Mebida, the children of Harsha, and three.
| 53. The children of Barkos, the children 26. The children of Ramah and Gaba, six of Sisera, the children of Thamah, hundred twenty and one.
| 54. The children of Neziah, the children 27. The men of Michmas, a hundred of Hatipha. twenty and two.
55. The children of Solomon's servants: 28. The men of Beth-el and Ai, two hun- the children of Sotai, the children of Sophedred twenty and three.
reth, the children of Peruda, 29. The children of Nebo, fifty and two. 56. The children of Jaalah, the children
30. The children of Magbish, a hundred of Darkon, the children of Giddel, . fifty and six.
31. The children of the other Elam, adren of Hattil, the children of Pochereth thousand two hundred fifty and four. I of Zebaim, the children of Ami.
32. The children of Harim, three hundred 58. All the Netbinims, and the children and twenty.
of Solomon's servants, were three hundred 33. The children of Lod, Hadid, and ninety and two. Ono, seven hundred twenty and five.
59. And these were they which went up 34. The children of Jericho, three hundred from Tel-melah, Tel-harsa, Cherub, Addan, forty and five.
and Immer; but they could not show their 33. The children of Senaah, three thou- || father's house, and their seed, whether they sand and six hundred and thirty.
were of Israel : 36. I The priests: the children of Jedaiah, 60. The children of Delaiah, the children of the house of Jeshua, nine hundred seventy of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hunand three.
dred fifty and two. 37. The children of Immer, a thousand 61. And of the children of the priests: fifty and two.
. the children of Habaiah, the children of 38. The children of Pashur, a thousand Koz, the children of Barzillai; (which two hundred forty and seven.
took a wife of the daughters of Barzillai 39. The children of Harim, a thousand the Gileadite, and was called after their and seventeen.
name;) 40. The Levites: the children of Jeshua 62. These sought their register among and Kadmiel, of the children of Hodaviah, those that were reckoned by genealogy, but seventy and four.
they were not found ; therefore were they, 41. The singers: the children of Asaph, a as polluted, put from the priesthood. hundred twenty and eight.
Il 63. And the Tirshatha said unto them, 42. The children of the porters: the chil- | that they should not eat of the most holy dren of Shallum, the children of Ater, the things, till there stood up a priest with Urim children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, and with Thummim. the children of Hatita, the children of Sho-1 64. The whole congregation together was bai, in all a hundred thirty and nine. forty and two thousand three hundred and
43. The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, threescore, the children of Hasupha, the children of 65. Besides their servants and their maids, Tabbaoth,
of whom there were seven thousand three 44. The children of Keros, the children | hundred thirty and seven: and there were of Siaha, the children of Padon,
|| among them two hundred singing-men and 45. The children of Lebanah, the children | singing-women. of Hagabah, the children of Akkub,
66. Their horses were seven hundred thirty