« PreviousContinue »
ed his word that he hath spoken ; for I am || and an oath be laid upon him to make him risen up in the room of David my father, swear, and the oath come before thine altar and am set on the throne of Israel, as the in this house; LORD promised, and have built the house 23. Then hear thou from heaven, and do, for the name of the Lord God of Israel: and judge thy servants, by requiting the
11. And in it have I put the ark, wherein wicked, by recompensing his way upon his is the covenant of the LORD, that he made own head; and by justifying the righteous, with the children of Israel.
by giving him according to his righteousness. 12. | And he stood before the altar of the 24. And if thy people Israel be put to LORD, in the presence of all the congrega the worse before the enemy, because they tion of Israel, and spread forth his hands, have sinned against thee, and shall return
13. (For Solomon had made a brazen scaf- and confess thy name, and pray and make fold of five cubits long, and five cubits broad, supplication before thee in this house; and three cubits high, and had set it in the | 25. Then hear thou from the heavens, midst of the court; and upon it he stood, and forgive the sin of thy people Israel, and and kneeled down upon his knees before all bring them again unto the land which thou the congregation of Israel, and spread forth gavest to them and to their fathers. his hands toward heaven,)
| 26. When the heaven is shut up, and 14. And said, O LORD God of Israel, there is no rain, because they have sinned there is no God like thee in the heaven, nor against thee; yet if they pray toward this in the earth; which keepest covenant, and place, and confess thy name, and turn from showest mercy unto thy servants that walk their sin, when thou dost afflict them; before thee with all their hearts:
27. Then hear thou from heaven, and 15. Thou which hast kept with thy ser- | forgive the sin of thy servants, and of thy vant David my father that which thou hast people Israel, when thou hast taught them promised him; and spakest with thy mouth, the good way wherein they should walk; and and hast fulfilled it with thy hand, as it send rain upon thy land, which thou hast is this day.
given unto thy people for an inheritance. 16. Now therefore, O LORD God of Is- | 28. If there be dearth in the land, if there rael, keep with thy servant David my father | be pestilence, if there be blasting, or mildew, that which thou hast promised him, saying, locusts, or caterpillars; if their enemies beThere shall not fail thee a man in my sight siege them in the cities of their land; whatto sit upon the throne of Israel ; yet so that soever sore or whatsoever sickness there be ; thy children take heed to their way to walk 29. Then what prayer or what supplicain my law, as thou hast walked before me. tion soever shall be made of any man, or of
17. Now then, O LORD God of Israel, | all thy people Israel, when every one shall let thy word be verified, which thou hast | know his own sore and his own grief, and spoken unto thy servant David.
| shall spread forth his hands in this house; 18. (But will God in very deed dwell with 30. Then hear thou from heaven thy dwelmen on the earth? Behold, heaven and the ling-place, and forgive, and render unto every heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how | man according unto all his ways, whose much less this house which I have built !) | beart thou knowest ;'(for thou only knowest
19. Have respect, therefore, to the prayer the hearts of the children of men ;) of thy servant, and to his supplication,
0 3 1. That they may fear thee, to walk in LORD my God, to hearken unto the cry and || thy ways so long as they live in the land the prayer which thy servant prayeth be- || which thou gavest unto our fathers. fore thee:
32. Moreover, concerning the stranger, 20. That thine eyes may be open upon which is not of thy people Israel, but is this house day and night, upon the place come from a far country for thy great name's whereof thou hast said that thou wouldest | sake, and thy mighty hand, and thy stretchput thy name there ; to hearken unto the ed-out arm; if they come and pray in this prayer which thy servant prayeth toward | || house; this place.
33. Then hear thou from the heavens, 21. Hearken, therefore, unto the suppli- || even from thy dwelling-place, and do accordcations of thy servant, and of thy people ing to all that the stranger calleth to thee Israel, which they shall make toward this for; that all people of the earth may know place: hear thou from thy dwelling-place, || thy name, and fear thee, as doth thy people even from heaven; and when thou hearest, Israel ; and may know that this house which forgive.
I have built is called by thy name. 22. If a man sin against his neighbour, ll 34. If thy people go out to war against
their enemies by the way that thou shalt || 5. And king Solomon offered a sacrifice send them, and they pray unto thee toward of twenty and two thousand oxen, and a this city which thou hast chosen, and the hundred and twenty thousand sheep. So house which I have built for thy name; the king and all the people dedicated the
35. Then hear thou from the heavens house of God. their prayer and their supplication, and 6. And the priests waited on their offices; maintain their cause.
the Levites also with instruments of music 36. If they sin against thee, (for there is of the LORD, which David the king had no man which sinneth not,) and thou be made to praise the LORD, because his merangry with them, and deliver them over be-cy endureth for ever, when David praised fore their enemies, and they carry them by their ministry; and the priests sounded away captives unto a land far off or near; trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.
37. Yet if they bethink themselves in the 7. Moreover, Solomon hallowed the midland whither they are carried captive, and dle of the court that was before the house turn and pray unto thee in the land of their of the LORD: for there he offered burnt-ofcaptivity, saying, We have sinned, we have ferings, and the fat of the peace-offerings, done amiss, and have dealt wickedly; because the brazen altar which Solomon
38. If they return to thee with all their had made was not able to receive the burntheart, and with all their soul, in the land of offerings, and the meat-offerings, and the fat. their captivity, whither they have carried 8. Also, at the same time, Solomon kept them captives, and pray toward their land, the feast seven days, and all Israel with which thou gavest unto their fathers, and him, a very great congregation, from the toward the city which thou hast chosen, and | entering in of Hamath unto the river of toward the house which I have built for Egypt. thy name;
9. And in the eighth day they made a 39. Then hear thou from the heavens, solemn assembly: for they kept the dedieven from thy dwelling-place, their prayer || cation of the altar seven days, and the feast and their supplications, and maintain their seven days. cause, and forgive thy people which have | 10. And on the three and twentieth day sinned against thee.
of the seventh month he sent the people 40. Now, my God, let, I beseech thee, away into their tents, glau and merry in thine eyes be open, and let thine ears be at heart, for the goodness that the Lord had tent unto the prayer that is made in this place. showed unto David, and to Solomon, and
41. Now therefore arise, O LORD God, to Israel his people. into thy resting-place, thou, and the ark of | 11. Thus Solomon finished the house of thy strength: let thy priests, O Lord God, the LORD, and the king's house: and all be clothed with salvation, and let thy saints | that came into Solomon's heart to make rejoice in goodness.
in the house of the Lord, and in his own 42. 0 LORD God, turn not away the house, he prosperously effected. face of thine anointed : remember the mer | 12. And the Lord appeared to Solomon cies of David thy servant.
by night, and said unto him, I have heard CHAP. VII.
thy prayer, and have chosen this place to God giveth to Solomon promises upon condition. inyself for a house of sacrifice. NOW when Solomon had made an 13. If I shut up heaven that there be no
end of praying, the fire came down rain, or if I command the locusts to devour from heaven, and consumed the burnt-offer- the land, or if I send pestilence among my ing and the sacrifices; and the glory of the people; LORD filled the house.
14. If my people, which are called by my 2. And the priests could not enter intoname, shall 'humble themselves, and pray, the house of the LORD, because the glory and seek my face, and turn from their wickof the Lord had filled the LORD's house. led ways; then will I hear from heaven, and
3. And when all the children of Israel will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. saw how the fire came down, and the glory 15. Now mine eyes shall be open, and of the LORD upon the house, they bowed mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made themselves with their faces to the ground in this place: upon the pavement, and worshipped, and I 16. For now have I chosen and sanctified praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; this house, that my name may be there for for his mercy endureth for ever.
ever: and mine eyes and my heart shall be 4. Then the king and all the people of- there perpetually fered sacrifices before the LORD.
17. And as for thee, if thou wilt walk be. fore me, as David thy father walked, and do || mon make no servants for his work; but according to all that I have commanded they were men of war, and chief of his capthee, and shalt observe my statutes and my tains, and captains of his chariots and horsejudgments;
men. 18. Then will I stablish the throne of thy 10. And these were the chief of king kingdom, according as I have covenanted Solomon's officers, even two hundred and with David thy father, saying, There shall || fifty, that bare rule over the people. not fail thee a man to be ruler in Israel. | ii. And Solomon brought up the daugh
19. But if ye turn away, and forsake myter of Pharaoh out of the city of David statutes and my commandments, which I unto the house that he had built for her: for have set before you, and shall go and serve he said, My wife shall not dwell in the house other gods and worship them;
of David king of Israel, because the places 20. Then will I pluck them up by the are holy whereunto the ark of the LORD roots out of my land which I have given || hath come. them: and this house, which I have sanctifi-| 12. 1 Then Solomon offered burnt-offered for my name, will I cast out of my sight, ings unto the LORD on the altar of the and will make it to be a proverb and a by- LORD, which he had built before the porch, word among all nations.
13. Even after a certain rate every day, 21. And this house, which is high, shall be offering according to the commandment of an astonishment to every one that passeth Moses, on the sabbaths, and on the new by it; so that he shall say, Why hath the moons, and on the solemn feasts, three LORD done thus unto this land, and unto this times in the year, even in the seast of unhouse?
| leavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, 22. And it shall be answered, Because and in the seast of tabernacles. they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, 14. And he appointed, according to the which brought them forth out of the land of order of David his father, the courses of the Egypt, and laid hold on other gods, and wor- priests to their service, and the Levites to shipped them, and served them: therefore their charges, to praise and minister before hath he brought all this evil upon them. I the priests, as the duty of every day re
CHAP. VIII. . quired; the porters also by their courses at 1 Solomon's buildings. 17 He fetcheth gold from Ophir. every gate: for so had David the man of 1. AND it came to pass at the end of God commanded.
A twenty years, wherein Solomon had | 15. And they departed not from the com
2. That the cities which Huram had re- || Levites, concerning any matter, or concernstored to Solomon, Solomon built them, and ing the treasures. caused the children of Israel to dwell there. | 16. Now all the work of Solomon was
3. And Solomon went to Hamath-zobah, prepared unto the day of the foundation of and prevajled against it.
the house of the LORD, and until it was fin4. And he built Tadmor in the wilderness, || ished : so the house of the LORD was perand all the store-cities which he built in Hamath.
17.1 Then went Solomon to Ezion-geber, 5. Also he built Beth-horon the upper, and to Eloth, at the sea side in the land of and Beth-horon the nether, fenced cities, Edom. with walls, gates, and bars;
18. And Huram sent him, by the hands 6. And Baalath, and all the store-cities of his servants, ships, and servants that had that Solomon had, and all the chariot-cities, || knowledge of the sea; and they went with and the cities of the horsemen, and all that the servants of Solomon to Ophir, ard took Solomon desired to build in Jerusalem, and thence four hundred and fifty talents of gold, in Lebanon, and throughout all the land of and brought them to king Solomon. his dominion.
CHAP. IX. 7. As for all the people that were left of The queen of Sheba admireth the wisdom of Solomon. the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the 1. AND when the queen of Sheba heard Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebu 1 M of the same of Solomon, she came to sites, which were not of Israel,
8. But of their children, who were left salem, with a very great company, and after them in the land, whom the children camels that bare spices, and gold in abunof Israel consumed not, them did Solomon dance, and precious stones: and when she make to pay tribute until this day.
was come to Solomon, she communed with 9. But of the children of Israel did Solo- l him of all that was in her heart.
2. And Solomon told her all her questions: || beaten gold; three hundred shekels of gold and there was nothing hid from Solomon went to one shield: and the king put them which he told her not.
in the house of the forest of Lebanon. 3. And when the queen of Sheba had seen 17. Moreover, the king made a great the wisdom of Solomon, and the house that throne of ivory, and overlaid it with pure he had built,
4. And the meat of his table, and the sit- 18. And there were six steps to the throne, ting of his servants, and the attendance of with a footstool of gold, which were fastened his ministers, and their apparel; his cup- to the throne, and stays on each side of the bearers also, and their apparel; and his sitting-place, and two lions standing by the ascent by which he went up into the house | stays: of the LORD; there was no more spirit in her. 19. And twelve lions stood there on the
5. And she said to the king, It was a true one side and on the other upon the six steps. report which I heard in mine own land of There was not the like made in any king. thine acts, and of thy wisdom;
dom. 6. Howbeit, I believed not their words 20. And all the drinking-vessels of king until I came, and mine eyes had seen it; Solomon were of gold, and all the vessels of and, behold, the one half of the greatness of the house of the forest of Lebanon were of thy wisdom was not told me: for thou ex pure gold: none were of silver; it was not ceedest the fame that I heard.
any thing accounted of in the days of Solo7. Happy are thy men, and happy are mon. these thy servants, which stand continually 21. For the king's ships went to Tarshishi before thee, and hear thy wisdom.
with the servants of Huram: every three 8. Blessed be the Lord thy God, which years once came the ships of Tarshish, bringdelighted in thee to set thee on his throne, i ing gold, and silver, ivory, and apes, and to be king for the LORD thy God: because peacocks. thy God loved Israel, to establish them for 22. And king Solomon ' passed all the ever, therefore made he thee king over them, | kings of the earth in riches and wisdom. to do judgment and justice.
| 23. And all the kings of the earth sought 9. And she gave the king a hundred and the presence of Solomon, to hear his wisdom twenty talents of gold, and of spices great that God had put in his heart. abundance, and precious stones: neither 24. And they brought every man his prewas there any such spice as the queen of sent, vessels of silver, and vessels of gold, Sheba gave king Solomon.
and raiment, harness, and spices, horses, 10. And the servants also of Huram, and and mules, a rate year by year. the servants of Solomon, which brought gold | 25. And Solomon had four thousand stalls from Ophir, brought algum-trees and pre- || for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand cious stones.
horsemen, whom he bestowed in the chariot. 11. And the king made of the algum-trees cities, and with the king at Jerusalem. terraces to the house of the LORD, and to [ 26. And he reigned over all the kings the king's palace, and harps and psalteries from the river even unto the land of the for singers : and there were none such seen Philistines, and to the border of Egypt. before in the land of Judah.
27. And the king made silver in Jerusa12. And king Solomon gave to the queen | lem as stones, and cedar-trees made he as of Sheba all her desire, whatsoever she || the sycamore-trees that are in the low asked, besides that which she had brought plains in abundance. unto the king: so she turned, and went | 28. And they brought unto Solomon away to her own land, she and her ser- || horses out of Egypt, and out of all lands. vants.
29. Now the rest of the acts of Solomon,' 13. Now the weight of gold that came to | first and last, are they not written in the Solomon in one year was six hundred and book of Nathan the prophet, and in the prothreescore and six talents of gold;
phecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the 14. Besides that which chapmen and mer- | visions of Iddo the seer against Jeroboam the chants brought. And all the kings of Ara- son of Nebat ? bia and governors of the country brought | 30. And Solomon reigned in Jerusalem gold and silver to Solomon.
. over all Israel forty years. 15. And king Solomon made two hundred 31. And Solomon slept with his fathers, targets of beaten gold : six hundred shekels and he was buried in the city of David his of beaten gold went to one target.
father: and Rehoboam his son reigned in 16. And three hundred shields made he of his stead.
Il your yoke heavy, but I will add therelo: The Israelites assemble at Shechem to crown Rehoboam. | my father chastised you with whips, but I 1. AND Rehoboam went to Shechem:
will chastise you with scorpions. A for to Shechem were all Israel come
15. So the king hearkened not unto the to make him king.
people; for the cause was of God, that the 2. And it came to pass, when Jeroboam
LORD might perform his word, which he the son of Nebat, (who was in Egypt, whither spa
hither spake by the hand of Ahijah the Shilonite he bad Aed from the presence of Solomon
to Jeroboam the son of Nebat. the king,) heard it, that Jeroboam returned
16. And when all Israel saw that the king out of Egypt.
would not hearken unto them, the people 3. And they sent and called him. So
answered the king, saying, What portion Jeroboam and all Israel came, and spake I have we in David ? and we have none into Rehoboam, saying,
heritance in the son of Jesse: every man to 4. Thy father made our yoke grievous:/your tents, O Israel: and now, David, see now, thereforc, ease thou somewhat the to thine
to thine own house. So all Israel went to grievous servitude of thy father, and his
their tents. heavy yoke that he put upon us, and we
17. But as for the children of Israel that will serve thee.
dwelt in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam 5. And he said unto them, Come again
reigned over them. unto me after three days. And the people
18. Then king Rehoboam sent Hadoram, departed.
that was over the tribute ; and the children 6. And king Rehoboam took counsel with of Israel stoned bim with stones that he the old men that had stood before Solomon
died : but king Rehoboam made speed to get his father while he yet lived, saying, What
him up to his chariot, to flee to Jerusalem. counsel give ye me, to return answer to this
19. And Israel rebelled against the house people ?
of David unto this day. 7. And they spake unto him, saying, If
CHAP. XI. thou be kind to this people, and please them,
Rehoboam, preparing to subdue Israel, is forbidden by She
maiah. and speak good words to them, they will be 1. AND when Rehoboam was come to thy servants for ever.
A Jerusalem, he gathered of the house 8. But he forsook the counsel which the of Judah and Benjamin a hundred and fourold men gave him, and took counsel with score thousand chosen men, which were the young men that were brought up with warriors, to fight against Israel, that he him, that stood before him.
might bring the kingdom again to Rehoboam. 9. And he said unto them, What advice 2. But the word of the LORD came to give ye, that we may return answer to this Shemajah the man of God, saying, people, which have spoken to me, saying, 3. Speak unto Rehoboam the son of Ease somewhat the yoke that thy father did Solomon, king of Judah, and to all Israel in put upon us?
Judah and Benjamin, saying, 10. And the young men that were brought 4. Thus saith the Lord, Ye shall not go up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus up nor fight against your brethren: return shalt thou answer the people that spake every man to his house; for this thing is done unto thee, saying, Thy father made our of me. And they obeyed the words of the yoke heavy, but make thou it somewhat LORD, and returned from going against Jelighter for us; thus shalt thou say unto roboam. them, My little finger shall be thicker than 5. And Rehoboam dwelt in Jerusalem, my father's loins.
and built cities for defence in Judah. 11. For whereas my father put a heavy 6. He built even Beth-lehem, and Etam, yoke upon you, I will put more to your and Tekoa, yoke: my father chastised you with whips, 7. And Beth-zur, and Shoco, and Adulbut I will chastise you with scorpions. lam,
12. So Jeroboam and all the people 18. And Gath, and Mareshah, and Ziph, came to Rehoboam on the third day, as the 9. And Adoraim, and Lachish, and Azeking bade, saying, Come again to me on the || kah, third day.
10. And Zorah, and Ajalon, and Hebron, 13. And the king answered them roughly: which are in Judah and in Benjamin, fenced and king Rehoboam forsook the counsel of cities. the old men,
11. And he fortified the strong bolds, and 14. And answered them after the adviceput captains in them, and store of victual, of the young men, saying, My father made land of oil and wine.