« PreviousContinue »
17. Also pure gold for the flesh-hooks, || 6. 1 Then the chief of the fathers, and and the bowls, and the cups: and for the princes of the tribes of Israel, and the capgolden basons he gave gold by weight for tains of thousands and of hundreds, with every bason; and likewise silver by weight for the rulers over the king's work, offered wilevery bason of silver:
18. And for the altar of incense refined | 7. And gave, for the service of the house gold by weight; and gold for the pattern of of God, of gold, five thousand talents and ten the chariot of the cherubims, that spread thousand drams; and of silver, ten thousand out their wings, and covered the ark of the talents; and of brass, eighteen thousand covenant of the LORD.
talents; and one hundred thousand talents 19. All this, said David, the LORD made || of iron. me understand in writing by his hand upon 3. And they with whom precious stones me, even all the works of this pattern were found gave them to the treasure of the
20. And David said to Solomon his son, Be house of the LORD, by the hand of Jehiel strong, and of good courage, and do it: fear || the Gershonite. not, nor be dismayed; for the LORD God, | 9. Then the people rejoiced, for that they 1 even my God, will be with thee; he will not offered willingly, because with perfect heart fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast they offered willingly to the Lord: and Dafinished all the work for the service of the vid the king also rejoiced with great joy. house of the LORD.
10. Wherefore David blessed the LORD 21. And, behold, the courses of the priests before all the congregation: and David said, and the Levites, even they shall be with thee Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our for all the service of the house of God: and Father, for ever and ever. there shall be with thee, for all manner of 11. Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, workmanship, every willing skilful man, for and the power, and the glory, and the vicany manner of service; also the princes and tory, and the majesty: for all that is in the all the people will be wholly at thy com- | heaven and in the earth is thine ; thine is the mandment.
kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as CHAP. XXIX.
head above all. 10 David's thanksgiving and prayer: 26 His reign and death. 12. Both riches and honour come of thee, 1. LURTHERMORE, David the king and thou reignest over all; and in thy hand is
T said unto all the congregation, Solo-power and might, and in thy hand it is to mon my son, whom alone God hath chosen, make great, and to give strength unto all. is yet young and tender, and the work is 13. Now therefore, our God, we thank great: for the palace is not for man, but for thee, and praise thy glorious name. the LORD God.
14. But who am I, and what is my peo2. Now I have prepared with all my ple, that we should be able to offer so wilmight for the house of my God the gold for lingly after this sort? for all things come of things to be made of gold, and the silver for thee, and of thine own have we given thee. things of silver, and the brass for things of 15. For we are strangers before thee, and brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days for things of wood; onyx-stones, and stones on the earth are as a shadow, and there is to be set, glistering stones, and of divers none abiding. colours, and all manner of precious stones, || 16. O LORD our God, all this store that and marble stones in abundance.
we have prepared, to build thee a house for 3. Moreover, because I have set my affec- thy holy name, cometh of thy hand, and is all tion to the house of my God, I have, of mine thine own. own proper good, of gold and silver, which | 17. I know also, my God, that thou triest I have given to the house of my God, over the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. and above all that I have prepared for the As for me, in the uprightness of my heart I holy house,
have willingly offered all these things: and 4. Even three thousand talents of gold, of now have I seen with joy thy people, which the gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents | are present here, to offer willingly unto thee. of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the 18. O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and houses withal:
|| of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the 5. The gold for things of gold, and the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of silver for things of silver, and for all manner thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee: of work to be made by the hands of artificers. 19. And give unto Solomon my son a And who then is willing to consecrate his perfect beart, to keep thy commandments, service this day unto the Lord?
thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to
Ilo all these things, and to build the palace || vid, submitted themselves unto Solomon the for the which I have made provision. king.
20. | And David said to all the congrega- | . And the Lord magnified Solomon extion, Now bless the LORD your God. And ceedingly in the sight of all Israel, and beall the congregation blessed the Lord God | stowed upon him such royal majesty, as had of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, || not been on any king before him in Israel. and worshipped the Lord and the king.
21. And they sacrificed sacrifices unto the over all Israel. LORD, and offered burnt-offerings unto the 27. And the time that he reigned over LORD, on the morrow after that day, even Israel was forty years; seven years reigned a thousand bullocks, a thousand rams, and he in Hebron, and thirty and three years a thousand lambs, with their drink-offerings, reigned he in Jerusalem. and sacrifices in abundance for all Israel : || 23. And he died in a good old age, full
22. And did eat and drink before the of days, riches, and honour: and Solomon LORD on that day with great gladness : and his son reigned in his stead. they made Solomon, the son of David, king 29. Now the acts of David the king, first the second time, and anointed him unto the and last, behold, they are written in the LORD to be the chief governor, and Zadok | book of Samuel the seer, and in the book to be priest.
of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of 23. Then Solomon sat on the throne of the Gad the seer, LORD as king instead of David his father, || 30. With all his reign and his might, and and prospered ; and all Israel obeyed him. the times that went over him, and over
24. And all the princes, and the mighty || Israel, and over all the kingdoms of the men, and all the sons likewise of king Da- ! countries.
I The SECOND Book of the CHRONICLES.
| ther, and hast made me to reign in his stead. Solomon's choice of wisdom is blessed by God. 1 9. Now, O Lord God, let thy promise
strengthened in his kingdom, and the thou hast made me king over a people like
10. Give me now wisdom and know2. Then Solomon spake unto all Israel, ledge, that I may go out and come in beto the captains of thousands and of hun-fore this people: for who can judge this thy dreds, and to the judges, and to every go-people that is so great ? vernor in all Israel, the chief of the fathers. 11. And God said to Solomon, Because
3. So Solomon, and all the congregation this was in thine heart, and thou hast not with him, went to the high place that was asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the at Gibeon; for there was the tabernacle of life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked the congregation of God, which Moses, | long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowthe servant of the LORD, had made in the ledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my wilderness.
people, over whom I have made thee king : 4. But the ark of God had David brought 12. Wisdom and knowledge is granted up from Kirjath-jearim to the place which unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and David had prepared for it: for he had wealth, and honour, such as none of the pitched a tent for it at Jerusalem.
kings have had that have been before thee, 5. Moreover, the brazen altar that Beza- neither shall there any after thee have the like. leel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, had 13. I Then Solomon came from his journey made, he put before the tabernacle of the to the high place that was at Gibeon to JeLORD; and Solomon and the congregation rusalem, from before the tabernacle of the sought unto it.
congregation, and reigned over Israel. 6. And Solomon went up thither to the 14. And Solomon gathered chariots and brazen altar before the LORD, which was horsemen: and he had a thousand and four at the tabernacle of the congregation, and hundred chariots, and twelve thousand horseoffered a thousand burnt-offerings upon it. men, which he placed in the chariot-cities,
7. In that night did God appear unto and with the king at Jerusalemn. Solomon, and said unto him, Ask what I 15. And the king made silver and gold at shall give thee.
Jerusalem as plenteous as stones, and cedar8. And Solomon said unto God, Thou trees made he as the sycamore-trees that are hast showed great mercy unto David my fa- ll in the vale for abundance.
16. And Solomon had horses brought || 11. Then Huram the king of Tyre anout of Egypt, and linen yarn; the king's || swered in writing, which he sent to Solomerchants received the linen yarn at a price. mon, Because the Lord hath loved his
17. And they fetched up, and brought forth || people, he hath made thee king over them. out of Egypt, a chariot for six hundred she 12. Huram said moreover, Blessed be the kels of silver, and a horse for a hundred and | LORD God of Israel, that made heaven and fifty: and so brought they out horses for all earth, who hath given to David the king a the kings of the Hittites, and for the kings wise son, endued with prudence and underof Syria, by their means.
standing, that might build a house for the . CHAP. II.
Lord, and a house for his kingdom. Solomon's labourers for the building of the temple. | 13. And now I have sent a cunning man, 1. AND Solomon determined to build a endued with understanding, of Huram my
A house for the name of the LORD, | father's. and a house for his kingdom.
14. The son of a woman of the daughters 2. And Solomon told out threescore and of Dan, and his father was a man of Tyre, ten thousand men to bear burdens, and skilful to work in gold, and in silver, in brass, fourscore thousand to hew in the mountain, in iron, in stone, and in timber, in purple, and three thousand and six hundred to in blue, and in fine linen, and in crimson ; oversee them.
also to grave any manner of graving, and 3. And Solomon sent to Huram the king to find out every device which shall be put of Tyre, saying, As thou didst deal with to him, with thy cunning men, and with the David my father, and didst send him cedars cunning men of my lord David thy father. to build him a house to dwell therein, even 15. Now therefore the wheat, and the barso deal with me.
ley, the oil, and the wine, which my lord 4. Behold, I build a house to the name hath spoken of, let him send unto his serof the LORD my God, to dedicate il to him, I vants: and to burn before him sweet incense, and || 16. And we will cut wood out of Leba for the continual show-bread, and for the || non, as much as thou shalt need; and we burnt-offerings morning and evening, on the will bring it to thee in floats by sea to Joppa, sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on and thou shalt carry it up to Jerusalem. the solemn feasts of the LORD our God. 17. TAnd Solomon numbered all the stranThis is an ordinance for ever to Israel. gers that were in the land of Israel, after the
5. And the house which I build is great: I numbering wherewith David his father had for great is our God above all gods. numbered them; and they were found a
6. But who is able to build him a house, || hundred and fifty thousand and three thouseeing the heaven and heaven of heavens || sand and six hundred. cannot contain him ? who am I then, that I II 18. And he set threescore and ten thoushould build him a house, save only to burn | sand of them to be bearers of burdens, and sacrifice before him ?
fourscore thousand to be hewers in the 7. Send me now, therefore, a man cun- | mountain, and three thousand and six hunoing to work in gold, and in silver, and in dred overseers to set the people a work. brass, and in iron, and in purple, and crim
CHAP. III. son, and blue, and that can skill to grave The place and time of building the temple. with the cunning men that are with me in 1. THEN Solomon began to build the Judah and in Jerusalem, whom David my
house of the Lord at Jerusalem in father did provide.
mount Moriah, where the LORD appear8. Send me also cedar-trees, fir-trees, and ed unto David his father, in the place that algum-trees, out of Lebanon ; (for 1 know David had prepared in the threshing-floor that thy servants can skill to cut timber in of Ornan the Jebusite. Lebanon;) and, behold, my servants shall | 2. And he began to build in the second be with thy servants,
day of the second month, in the fourth year 9. Even to prepare me timber in abun- of his reign. dance: for the house which I am about to ! 3. | Now these are the things wherein Sobuild shall be wonderful great.
. li lomon was instructed for the building of the 10. And, behold, I will give to thy ser-house of God. The length by cubits, after vants, the hewers that cut timber, twenty | the first measure, was threescore cubits, thousand measures of beaten wheat, and and the breadth twenty cubits. twenty thousand measures of barley, and I 4. And the porch that was in the front twenty thousand baths of wine, and twenty of the house, the length of it was according thousand baths of oil.
Il to the breadth of the house, twenty cubits. and the height was a hundred and twenty: 11. 2. Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits and he overlaid it within with pure gold. from brim to brim, round in compass, and
5. And the greater house he ceiled with five cubits the height thereof; and a line of fir-tree, which he overlaid with fine gold, thirty cubits did compass it round about. and set thereon palm-trees and chains. 3. And under it was the similitude of oxen,
6. And he garnished the house with pre- | which did compass it round about; ten in a cious stones for beauty: and the gold was cubit, compassing the sea round about. Two gold of Parvaim.
rows of oxen were cast when it was cast. 7. He overlaid also the house, the beams, || 4. It stood upon twelve oxen, three look· the posts, and the walls thereof, and the ing toward the north, and three looking doors thereof, with gold; and graved cheru- toward the west, and three looking toward bims on the walls.
the south, and three looking toward the 8. And he made the most holy house, east; and the sea was set above upon them, the length whereof was according to the and all their binder parts were inward. breadth of the house, twenty cubits, and the 5. And the thickness of it was a hand, breadth thereof twenty cubits: and he breadth, and the brim of it like the work of overlaid it with fine gold, amounting to six | the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies; and hundred talents.
it received and held three thousand baths. 9. And the weight of the nails was fifty | 6. He made also ten lavers, and put five shekels of gold. And he overlaid the upper on the right hand, and five on the left, to wash chambers with gold.
in them: such things as they offered for the 10. And in the most holy place he made | burnt-offering they washed in them; but two cherubims of image work, and overlaid the sea was for the priests to wash in.. them with gold.
7. And he made ten candlesticks of gold 11. And the wings of the cherubims were | according to their form, and set them in the twenty cubits long: one wing of the one temple, five on the right hand, and five on cherub was five cubits, reaching to the wall the left. of the house; and the other wing was like- 8. He made also ten tables, and placed wise five cubits, reaching to the wing of the them in the temple, five on the right side, and other cherub.
five on the left: and he made a hundred 12. And one wing of the other cherub was basons of gold. five cubits, reaching to the wall of the house; 9. Furthermore, he made the court of the and the other wing was five cubits also, join- priests, and the great court, and doors for the ing to the wing of the other cherub.
court, and overlaid the doors of them with 13. The wings of these cherubims spread brass. themselves forth twenty cubits: and they 10. And he set the sea on the right side
pod on their feet, and their faces were in- of the east end, over against the south. ward.
11. And Huram made the pots, and thesho14. And he made the vail of blue, and pur- il vels, and the basons. And Huram finished ple, and crimson, and fine linen, and wrought the work that he was to make for king Socherubims thereon.
lomon for the house of God; 15. Also he made before the house two 12. To wit, the two pillars, and the pompillars of thirty and five cubits high, and the mels, and the chapiters which were on the chapiter that was on the top of each of them top of the two pillars, and the two wreaths was five cubits.
to cover the two pommels of the chapiters 6. And he made chains, as in the oracle, which were on the top of the pillars: and put them on the heads of the pil 13. And four hundred pomegranates on lars; and made a hundred pomegranates, the two wreaths; two rows of pomegranates and put them on the chains.
on each wreath, to cover the two pommels 17. And he reared up the pillars before of the chapiters which were upon the pillars. the temple, one on the right hand, and the 14. He made also bases; and lavers made other on the left; and called the name of he upon the bases; that on the right hand Jachin, and the name 15. One sea, and twelve oxen under it: of that on the left Boaz.
16. The pots also, and the shovels, and CHAP. IV.
the flesh-hooks, and all their instruments, The altar of brass and ornaments for the house, did Huram his father make to king Solomon,
COREOVER, he made an altar of || for the house of the LORD, of bright brass. V brass, twenty cubits the length 17. In the plain of Jordan did the king thereof, and twenty cubits the breadth there-cast them, in the clay-ground between Suc. of, and ten cubits the height thereof. coth and Zeredathah.
18. Thus Solomon made all these vessels the children of Israel, when they came out in great abundance: for the weight of the of Egypt. brass could not be found out. "
| 11. And it came to pass, when the priests 19. And Solomon made all the vessels were come out of the holy place; (for all that were for the house of God, the golden the priests that were present were sanctified, altar also, and the tables whereon the show- and did not then wait by course; bread was set;
| 12. Also the Levites, which were the sing20. Moreover the candlesticks with their ers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jelamps, that they should burn after the man-duthun, with their sons and their brethren, ner, before the oracle, of pure gold; | being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals
21. And the flowers, and the lamps, and the and psalteries and harps, stood at the east tongs, made he of gold, and that perfect gold; end of the altar, and with them a hundred
22. And the snuffers, and the basons, and and twenty priests sounding with trumpets ;) the spoons, and the censers, of pure gold: 13. It came even to pass, as the trumand the entry of the house, the inner doors peters and singers were as one, to make one thereof for the most holy place, and the doors sound to be heard in praising and thanking of the house of the temple, were of gold. the LORD, and when they lifted up their CHAP. V.
voice with the trumpets and cymbals and God being praised, giveth a visible sign of his favour. instruments of music, and praised the Lord, 1. THUSall the work that Solomon made saying, For he is good; for his mercy endur
1 for the house of the LORD was finish- | eth for ever: that then the house was filled ed: and Solomon brought in all the things that with a cloud, even the house of the LORD; David his father had dedicated; and the sil- 14. So that the priests could not stand to ver, and the gold, and all the instruments, put minister by reason of the cloud; for the glory he among the treasures of the house of God. of the LORD had filled the house of God. 2. Then Solomon assembled the elders
| CHAP. VI. of Israel, and all the heads of the tribes, the Solomon's prayer at the consecration of the temple. chief of the fathers of the children of Israel, 1. THEN said Solomon, The Lord hath unto Jerusalem, to bring up the ark of the 1 said that he would dwell in the thick covenant of the LORD out of the city of darkness. David, which is Zion.
2. But I have built a house of habitation 3. Wherefore all the men of Israel assem- for thee, and a place for thy dwelling for ever. bled themselves unto the king, in the feast 3. And the king turned his face, and which was in the seventh month.
blessed the whole congregation of Israel : 4. And all the elders of Israel came; and (and all the congregation of Israel stood :) the Levites took up the ark.
4. And he said, Blessed be the LORD 5. And they brought up the ark, and the God of Israel, who hath with bis hands tabernacle of the congregation, and all the fulfilled that which he spake with his mouth holy vessels that were in the tabernacle, these to my father David, saying, did the priests and the Levites bring up. I 5. Since the day that I brought forth my
6. Also king Solomon, and all the con- people out of the land of Egypt, I chose no gregation of Israel that were assembled unto city among all the tribes of Israel to build him before the ark, sacrificed sheep and a house in, that my name might be therc; oxen, which could not be told nor num-neither chose I any man to be a ruler over bered for multitude.
my people Israel : 7. And the priests brought in the ark of 6. But I have chosen Jerusalem, that the covenant of the LORD unto his place, to my name might be there; and have chosen the oracle of the house, into the most holy | David to be over my people Israel. place, even under the wings of the cherubins: | 7. Now it was in the heart of David my
8. For the cherubims spread forth their father to build a house for the name of the wings over the place of the ark, and the LORD God of Israel. cherubims covered the ark and the staves | 8. But the Lord said to David my father, thereof above.
Forasmuch as it was in thy heart to build 9. And they drew out the staves of the ark, || a house for my name, thou didst well in that the ends of the staves were seen from that it was in thy heart: the ark before the oracle; but they were not 9. Notwithstanding, thou shalt not build seen without. And there it is unto this day. the house; but thy son which shall come
10. There was nothing in the ark save the forth out of thy loins, he shall build the two tables which Moses put therein at Ho-house for my name. reb, when the LORD made a covenant with |10. The Lord therefore hath perform