« PreviousContinue »
rael, What have 1 to do with thee? get thee 27. Then he took his eldest son, that to the prophets of thy father, and to the pro- should have reigned in his stead, and offered phets of thy mother. And the king of Israel him for a burnt-offering upon the wall. said unto him, Nay: for the LORD hath call- | And there was great indignation against ed these three kings together, to deliver them Israel: And they departed from him, and into the hand of Moab.
returned to their own land. 14. And Elisha said, As the LORD of hosts
CHAP. IV. liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it | 1 Elisha multiplieth the widow's oil. 18 He raiseth again not that I regard the presence of Jehosha
her dead son. phat the king of Judah, I would not look to-1. N OW there cried a certain woman of ward thee, nor see thee.
the wives of the sons of the pro15. But now bring me a minstrel. And phets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my it came to pass, when the minstrel played, || husband is dead; and thou knowest that that the hand of the LORD came upon him. thy servant did fear the Lord: and the
16. And he said, Thus saith the LORD, creditor is come to take unto him my two Make this valley full of ditches :
sons to be bondmen. 17. For thus saith the LORD, Ye shall not 12. And Elisha said unto her, What shall see wind, neither shall ye see rain ; yet that I do for thee ? tell me:what hast thou in the valley shall be filled with water, that ye may house ? And she said, Thine handmaid hath drink, both ye, and your cattle, and your not any thing in the house save a pot of oil. beasts.
3. Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels 18. And this is but a light thing in the sight | abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty of the LORD: he will deliver the Moabites vessels; borrow not a few. also into your hand.
4. And when thou art come in, thou shalt 19. And ye shall smite every fenced city, shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and every choice city, and shall fell every and shalt pour out into all those vessels, good tree, and stop all wells of water, and and thou shalt set aside that which is full. mar every good piece of land with stones. | 5. So she went from him, and shut the
20. I And it came to pass in the morning, door upon her and upon her sons, who brought when the meat-offering was offered, that, the vessels to her, and she poured out. behold, there came water by the way of 6. And it came to pass, when the vessels Edom; and the country was filled with water. were full, that she said unto her son, Bring
21. And when all the Moabites heard that | me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There. the kings were come up to fight against them, is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed. they gathered all that were able to put on ar- 7. Then she came and told the man of mour, and upward, and stood in the border. God:and he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy
22. And they rose up early in the morning, debt,and live thou and thy children of the rest. and the sun shone upon the water, and the 8. | And it fell on a day, that Elisha pasMoabites saw the water on the other side sed to Shunem, where was a great woman; as red as blood:
and she constrained him to eat bread. And 23. And they said, This is blood: the kings so it was, that, as oft as he passed by, he are surely slain, and they have smitten one turned in thither to eat bread. another: now therefore, Moab, to the spoil. 9. And she said unto her husband, Behold
24. And when they came to the camp of now, I perceive that this is a holy man of Israel, the Israelites rose up and smote the God which passeth by us continually. Moabites, so that they fled before them: 10. Let us make a little chamber, I pray but they went forward smiting the Moabites, thee, on the wall ; and let us set for him there even in their country.
a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a can25. And they beat down the cities, and dlestick : and it shall be, when he cometh on every good piece of land cast every man to us, that he shall turn in thither. his stone, and filled it; and they stopped all | 11. And it fell on a day that he came the wells of water, and felled all the good thither, and he turned into the chamber, and trees: only in Kir-haraseth left they the stones | lay there. thereof; howbeit, the slingers went about it; | 12. And he said to Gebazi his servant, and smote it.
Call this Shunammite. And when he had 26. And when the king of Moab saw called her, she stood before him. that the battle was too sore for him, he took 13. And he said unto him, Say now unto with him seven hundred men that drew her, Behold, thou hast been careful for us swords, to break through even unto the king with all this care; what is to be done for thee? of Edom: but they could not.
I wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or
upon hinthe man of God and laid him on the
to the captain of the host ? And she an- | the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I swered, I dwell among mine own people. will not leave thee. And he arose, and 14. And he said, What then is to be done | followed her.
. for her? And Gehazi answered, Verily she 31. And Gehazi passed on before them, hath no child, and her husband is old. and laid the staff upon the face of the child ;
15. And he said, Call her. And when || but there was neither voice nor hearing: he had called her, she stood in the door. l wherefore he went again to meet him, and
16. And he said, About this season, ac- told him, saying, The child is not awaked. cording to the time of life, thou shalt embrace 32. And when Elisha was come into the a son. And she said, Nay, my lord, thou | house, behold, the child was dead, and laid man of God, do not lie unto thine handmaid. || upon his bed.
17. And the woman conceived, and bare | 33. He went in therefore, and shut the door a son at that season that Elisha had said upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD. unto her, according to the time of life. 34. And he went up, and lay upon the
18. | And when the child was grown, it child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, fell on a day that he went out to his father and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands to the reapers.
upon his hands; and he stretched himself 19. And he said unto his father, My head, upon the child, and the flesh of the child my head! And he said to a lad, Carry him waxed warm. to his mother.
35. Then he returned, and walked in the 20. And when he had taken him, and house to and fro; and went up, and stretched brought him to his mother, he sat on her himself upon him: and the child sneezed knees till noon, and then died.
seven times, and the child opened his eyes. 21. And she went up, and laid him on the 36. And he called Gehazi, and said, Call bed of the man of God, and shut the door this Shunammite. So he called her. And upon him, and went out.
when she was come in unto him, he said, * 22. And she called unto her husband, and Take up thy son. said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young | 37. Then she went in, and fell at his feet, men, and one of the asses, that I may run and bowed herself to the ground, and took to the man of God, and come again. , up her son, and went out.
23. And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go 38. | And Elisha came again to Gilgal, to him to-day? it is neither new moon nor and there was a dearth in the land, and the sabbath. And she said, It shall be well. sons of the prophets were sitting before him:
24. Then she saddled an ass, and said to and he said unto his servant, Set on the her servant, Drive, and go forward ; slack great pot, and seethe pottage for the sons not thy riding for me, except I bid thee. of the prophets.
25. So she went, and came unto the man 39. And one went out into the field to of God to mount Carmel. And it came to i gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and pass, when the man of God saw her afar || gathered thereof wild gourds his lap full, and off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, Be- came and shred them into the pot of pottage: hold, yonder is that Shunammite:
for they knew them not. 26. Run now, I pray thee, to meet her ; || 40. So they poured out for the men to eat: and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it and it came to pass, as they were eating of well with thy husband ? is it well with the || the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O child ? And she answered, It is well. || thou man of God, there is death in the pot;
27. And when she came to the man of || and they could not eat thereof. God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: 41. But he said, Then bring meal. And but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. | he cast it into the pot; and he said, Pour And the man of God said, Let her alone; for out for the people, that they may eat. And her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD | there was no harm in the pot. hath hid it from me, and hath not told me. I 42. And there came a man from Baal-sha
28. Then she said, Did I desire a son of || lisha, and brought the man of God bread of my lord ? did I not say, Do not deceive me? || the first-fruits, twenty loaves of barley, and
29. Then he said to Gehazi, Gird up thy | full ears of corn in the husk thereof. And he loins, and take my staff in thine hand, and | said, Give unto the people, that they may eat. go thy way: if thou meet any man, salute 43. And his servitor said, What, should I him not; and if any salute thee, answer him set this before a hundred men? He said not again : and lay my staff upon the face again, Give the people, that they may eat : of the child.
for thus saith the LORD, They shall eat, and 30. And the mother of the child said, As shall leave thereof.
did eat, and left thereof, according to the 13. And his servants came near, and spake word of the LORD.
unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet CHAP. V.
had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest Naaman is sent to Samaria to be cured of his leprosyo thou not have done it? how much rather then, 1. NATOW Naaman, captain of the host || when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?,
N of the king of Syria, was a great 14. Then went he down, and dipped himman with his master, and honourable; be- || self seven times in Jordan, according to the cause by him the LORD had given deliver- | saying of the man of God: and his flesh ance unto Syria : he was also a mighty came again like unto the flesh of a little man in valour, but he was a leper.
child, and he was clean. 2. And the Syrians had gone out by com 15. And he returned to the man of God, panies, and had brought away captive out he and all his company, and came and stood of the land of Israel a little maid; and she before him: and he said, Behold, now I waited on Naaman's wife.
know that there is no God in all the earth 3. And she said unto her mistress, Would but in Israel : now therefore, I pray thee,
Samaria ! for he would recover him of his 16. But he said, As the Lord liveth, beleprosy.
fore whom I stand, I will receive none. And 4. And one went in and told his lord, say he urged him to take it ; but he refused. ing, Thus and thus said the maid that is of | 17. And Naaman said, Shallthere not then, the land of Israel.
I pray thee, be given to thy servant two 5. And the king of Syria said, Go to, go, mules' burden of earth ? for thy servant will and I will send a letter unto the king of henceforth offer neither burnt-offering nor Israel. And he departed, and took with him sacrifice unto other gods, but unto the LORD. ten talents of silver, and six thousand pieces 18. In this thing the LORD pardon tly of gold, and ten changes of raiment. servant, that when my master goeth into the
6. And he brought the letter to the king house of Rimmon to worship there, and he of Israel, saying, Now, when this letter is | leaneth on my hand, and I bow myself in come unto thee, behold, I have therewith | the house of Rimmon; when I bow down sent Naaman my servant to thee, that thou myself in the house of Rimmon, the LORD mayest recover him of his leprosy.
pardon thy servant in this thing. 7. And it came to pass, when the king of 19. And he said unto him, Go in peacı, Israel had read the letter, that he rent his So he departed from him a little way. clothes, and said, Am I God, to kill and to 20. But Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the make alive, that this man doth send unto man of God, said, Behold, my master hath me to recover a man of his leprosy? Where | spared Naaman this Syrian, in not receiving fore consider, I pray you, and see how heat his hands that which he brought: but, as seeketh a quarrel against me.
the LORD liveth, I will run after him, and 8. And it was so, when Elisha the man | take somewhat of him. of God had heard that the king of Israel 21. So Gehazi followed after Naamanı had rent his clothes, that he sent to the king, || And when Naaman saw him running after saying, Wherefore hast thou rent thy clothes? | him, he lighted down from the chariot to meet let him come now to me, and he shall know him, and said, Is all well? that there is a prophet in Israel.
22. And he said, All is well. My master 9. So Naaman came with his horses and hath sent me, saying, Behold, even now with his chariot, and stood at the door of | there be come to me from mount Ephraim the house of Elisha.
two young men of the sons of the prophets : 10. And Elisha sent a messenger unto give them, I pray thee, a talent of silver, and him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven two changes of garments. times, and thy flesh shall come again to 23. And Naaman said, Be content, take thee, and thou shalt be clean.
two talents. And he urged him, and bound 11. But Naaman was wroth, and went two talents of silver in two bags, with two away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will changes of garments, and laid them upon two surely come out to me, and stand and call on of his servants; and they bare them before him. the name of the Lord bis God, and strike his 24. And when he came to the tower, he hand over the place, and recover the leper. took them from their hand, and bestowed
12. Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers | them in the house: and he let the men go, of Damascus, better than all the waters of and they departed. Israel?may I not wash in them, and be clean? | 25. But he went in, and stood before his
inaster. And Elisha said unto him, Whence || 14. Therefore sent he thither horses, and comest thou, Gehazi ? And he said, Thy ser- chariots, and a great host: and they came vant went no whither.
by night, and compassed the city about. 26. And he said unto him, Went not mine. 15. And when the servant of the man of heart with thee, when the man turned again God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, from his chariot to meet thee? Is it a time to a host compassed the city, both with horses receive money, and to receive garments, and and chariots. And his servant said unto olive-yards, and vineyards, and sheep, and him, Alas, my master ! how shall we do? oxen, and men-servants, and maid-servants? || 16. And he answered, Fear not; for they
27. The leprosy therefore of Naaman that be with us are more than they that be shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for with them. ever. And he went out from his presence a 17. And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, leper as white as snow.
I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. | CHAP, VỊ.
And the Lord opened the eyes of the young The army which was sent to Dothan, to apprehend Elisha,
man: and he saw, and, behold, the mountain is smitten with blindness.
was full of horses and chariots of fire round 1. AND the sons of the prophets said un- | about Elisha.
A to Elisha, Behold now, the place 18. And when they came down to him, where we dwell with thee is too strait for us. Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said,
2. Let us go, we pray thee, unto Jordan, | Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindand take thence every man a beam, and let ness. And he smote them with blindness, us make us a place there, where we may according to the word of Elisha. dwell. And he answered, Go ye.
19. And Elisha said unto them, This is 3. And one said, Be content, I pray thee, not the way, neither is this the city ; follow and go with thy servants. And he answered, | me, and I will bring you to the man whom I will go.
ye seek. But he led them to Samaria. 4. So he went with them. And when they 20. And it came to pass, when they were came to Jordan, they cut down wood. come into Samaria, that Elisha said, LORD,
5. But as one was felling a beam, the axe | open the eyes of these men, that they may head fell into the water: and he cried, and see. And the LORD opened their eyes, and said, Alas, master! for it was borrowed. they saw; and, behold, they were in the midst
6. And the man of God said, Where fell of Samaria. it? And he showed him the place. . And he Il 21. And the king of Israel said unto Elicut down a stick, and cast it in thither; and sha, when he saw them, My father, shall I the iron did swim.
smite them ? shall I smite them ? 7. Therefore said he, Take it up to thee. 22. And he answered, Thou shalt not And he put out his hand, and took it. I smite them: wouldest thou smite those whom
8. 1 Then the king of Syria warred against thou hast taken captive with thy sword Israel, and took counsel with his servants, and with thy bow ? Set bread and water saying, In such and such a place shall be my before them, that they may eat and drink, camp.
and go to their master. 9. And the man of God sent unto the 23. And he prepared great provision for king of Israel, saying, Beware that thou pass them: and when they had eaten and drunk, not such a place; for thither the Syrians he sent them away, and they went to their are come down.
master. So the bands of Syria came no 10. And the king of Israel sent to the more into the land of Israel. place which the man of God told him and |_ 24. | And it came to pass after this, that warned him of, and saved himself there, not || Ben-hadad king of Syria gathered all his once nor twice.
host, and went up, and besieged Samaria. 11. Therefore the heart of the king of Syria | 25. And there was a great samine in was sore troubled for this thing; and he called Samaria: and, behold, they besieged it, until his servants, and said unto thein, Will ye not an ass's head was sold for fourscore pieces show me which of us is for the king of Israel? | of silver, and the fourth part of a cab of
12. And one of his servants said, None, dove's dung for five pieces of silver. my lord, O king: but Elisha, the prophet 26. And as the king of Israel was passing that is in Israel, telleth the king of Israel the by upon the wall, there cried a woman unto words that thou speakest in thy bed-chamber. him, saying, Help, my lord, O king ! :
13. And he said, Go, and spy where he is, 27. Ănd he said, If the LORD do not help that I may send and fetch him. And it was thee, whence shall I help thee? out of the told him, saying, Behold, he is in Dothan. || barn-floor, or out of the wine-press?
of Israel? | an aso's hieand, beholdning a greated
?: Wand left their
Monterest and e
wha he said, Behenger came ded with then
28. And the king said unto her, What ail- || and they said one to another, Lu, the king eth thee? And she answered, This woman of Israel hath hired against us the kings of said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat the Hittites, and the kings of the Egyptians, him to-day,and we willeat my son to-morrow. to come upon us.
29. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: | 7. Wherefore they arose, and fled in the and I said unto her on the next day, Give twilight, and left their tents, and their houses, thy son, that we may eat him; and she hath and their asses, even the camp as it uus, . hid her son.
|| and fled for their life. 30. And it came to pass, when the king 8. And when these lepers came to the heard the words of the woman, that he rent uttermost part of the capp, they went into his clothes; and he passed by upon the wall, one tent, and did eat and drink, and carand the people looked, and, behold, he had | ried thence silver, and gold, and raiment, sackcloth within upon bis flesh.
and went and bid it; and came again, and 31. Then he said, God do so and more entered into another tent, and carried thence also to me if the head of Elisha the son of also, and went and bid it. Shaphat shall stand on him this day.
9. Then they said one to another, We do 32. But Elisha sat in his house, and the not well : this day is a day of good tidings, elders sat with him: and the king sent a man and we hold our peace: if we tarry till the from before him: but ere the messenger morning light, some mischief will coine upon came to him, he said to the elders, See ye| us: now therefore come, that we may go and how this son of a murderer bath sent to take tell the king's household. away mine head ? look, when the messen. 10. So they came, and called unto the porger cometh, shut the door, and hold him fast || ter of the city; and they told them, saying, at the door: is not the sound of his master's We came to the camp of the Syrians, and, feet behind him ?
behold, there was no man there, neither voice 33. And while he yet talked with them, of man, but horses tied, and asses tied, and behold, the messenger came down unto him, || the tents as they were. and he said, Behold, this evil is of the LORD;l. 11. And he called the porters; and they what should I wait for the Lord any longer ? || told it to the king's house within. CHAP. VII.
12. And the king arose in the night, and Elisha prophesieth incredible plenty in Samaria. said unto his servants, I will now show you 1. THEN Elisha said, Hear ye the word what the Syrians have done to us: They
1 of the LORD: Thus saith the LORD, | know that we be hungry, therefore are they To-morrow, about this time, shall a measure gone out of the camp to hide themselves in of fine flour be sold for a shekel, and two the field, saying, When they come out of measures of barley for a shekel, in the gate the city, we shall catch them alive, and get of Samaria.
into the city. 2. Then a lord, on whose hand the king | 13. And one of his servants answered and leaned, answered the man of God, and said, said, Let some take, I pray thee, five of the Bebold, if the LORD would make windows horses that remain, which are left in the city, in heaven, might this thing be? And he (behold, they are as all the multitude of Issaid, Behold, thou shalt see it with thine rael that are left in it; behold, I say, they eyes, but shalt not eat thereof.
are even as all the multitude of the Israelites 3. And there were four leprous men at the that are consumed,) and let us send and see. entering in of the gate: and they said one. 14. They took therefore two chariot to another, Why sit we here until we die ? || horses; and the king sent after the host of 4. If we say, We will enter into the city, || the Syrians, saying, Go and see.
ne lamine is in the city, and we shall || 15. And they went after them unto Jordie there: and if we sit still here, we die also. | dan; and, lo, all the way was full of garNow therefore come, and let us fall unto ments and vessels, which the Syrians had the host of the Syrians: if they save us cast away in their haste: and the messengers alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we returned, and told the king. shall but die.
16. And the people went out, and spoiled · 5. And they rose up in the twilight, to go the tents of the Syrians. So a measure of upto the camp of the Syrians: and when they fine flour was sold for a shekel, and two meawere come to the uttermost part of the camp sures of barley for a shekel, according to the of Syria, behold, there was no man there, word of the LORD.
6. For the LORD had made the host of the 17. And the king appointed the lord on Syrians to hear a noise of chariots, and a whose hand he leaned to have the charge of noise of horses, even the noise of a great host; Il the gate: and the people trode upon him in