« PreviousContinue »
The SECOND Book of SAMUEL, otherwise called
The SECOND Book of the KINGS.
|| thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand David lamenteth Saul and Jonathan with a song. | to destroy the Lord's anointed ? 1. N OW it came to pass, after the death
15. And David called one of the young of Saul, when David was returned
men, and said, Go near, and fall upon hiin. from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and | And he smote him that he died. David had abode two days in Ziklay;
16. And David said unto him, Thy blood 2. It came even to pass on the third day, ll be upon thy head ; for thy mouth bath testhat, behold, a man came out of the camp libero
me camp || tified against thee, saying, I have slain the from Saul, with his clothes rent, and earth || LORD's anointed. upon his head : and so it was, when he came
| 17. And David lamented with this la
Ar to David, that he fell to the earth, and did I mentation over Saul and over Jonathan his obeisance.
son : 3. And David said unto him, From whence 18. (Also he hade them teach the chil. comest thou ? And he said unto him, Out | dren of Judab the use of the bowi behold of the camp of Israel am l escaped.
is written in the book of Jasher :) 4. And David said unto him, How went || 19 The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy the matter? I pray thee, tell me. And he || high places: how are the mighty fallen! answered, That the people are fled from the
Tell battle, and many of the people also are
the streets of Askelon; lest ihe daughters of fallen and dead; and Saul and Jonathan the Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of his son are dead also.
the uncircumcised triumph. 5. And David said unto the young man || 21. Ye mountains of Gilboa, let there be that told him, How knowest thou that Saul || no dew, neither let there be rain upon you, and Jonathan his son be dead?
nor fields of offerings: for there the shield of 6. And the young man that told him said,
19, | the mighty is vilely cast away, the shield of As I happened by chance upon mount Gil. Saul, as though he had not been anointed boa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear;
with oil. and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed
22. From the blood of the slain, from the hard after him.
fat of the mighty, the bow of Jonathan turn7. And when he looked behind him, he
ed not back, and the sword of Saul returned saw me, and called unto me: and I an- not en
an- | not empty. swered, Here am I.
23. Saul and Jonathan were lovely and 8. And he said unto me, Who art thou? |
pleasant in their lives, and in their death And I answered him, I am an Amalekite.
they were not divided : they were swifter 9. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray
than eagles, they were stronger than lions. thee, upon me, and slay me; for anguish
24. Ye daughters of Israel, weep over is come upon me, because my life is yet
Saul, who clothed you in scarlet, with other whole in me.
delights; who put on ornaments of gold 10. So I stood upon him, and slew him,
upon your apparel. because I was sure that he could not live
25. How are the mighty fallen in the after that he was fallen: and I took the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast crown that was upon his head, and the slain in thine hich place
slain in thine high places. bracelet that was on his arm, and have
hat was on his arm, and have 26. I am distressed for thee, my brother brought them hither unto my lord.
Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto 11. Then David took hold on his clothes,
me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing and rent them; and likewise all the men ! the love of women. that were with him:
27. How are the mighty fallen, and the 12. And they mourned, and wept, and
weapons of war perished! fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan
CHAP. II. his son, and for the people of the Lord, and David goeth to Hebron, where he is made king of Judah. for the house of Israel; because they were AND it came to pass aster this, that fallen by the sword.
A David inquired of the LORD, saying, 13.And David said unto the young man that Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah? told him, Whence art thou? And he answer- | And the Lord said unto him, Go up. And ed, I am the son of a stranger, an Amalekite. David said, Whither shall I go up? And he
14. And David said unto him, How wast | said, Unto Hebron,
2. So David went up thither, and his two || 18. And there were three sons of Zeruiah wives also, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and there, Joab, and Abishai, and Asahel: and Abigail, Nabal's wise, the Carmelite. · || Asahel was as light of foot as a wild roe,
3. And his men that were with him did Dal 19. Ard Asahel pursued after Abner; and vid bring up, every man with his household: l in going he turned not to the right hand por and they dwelt in the cities of Hebron. to the left from following Abner.
4. And the men of Judah came, and there | 20. Then Abner looked behind him, and they anointed David king over the house said, Art thou Asahel? And he answerof Judah. And they told David, saying, ed, I am. That the men of Jabesh-gilead were they 21. And Abner said to him, Turn thee that buried Saul.
| aside to thy right hand or to thy left, and 5. And David sent messengers unto the lay thee hold on one of the young men, and men of Jabesh-gilead, and said unto them, | take thee his armour. But Asahel would Blessed be ye of the LORD, that ye have not turn aside from following of him. showed this kindness unto your lord, even 22. And Abner said again to Asahel,Turn unto Saul, and have buried him.
thee aside from following me: wherefore 6. And now the LORD show kindness and should I smite thee to the ground ? how then truth unto you: and I also will requite you should I hold up my face to Joab thy brother? this kindness, because ye have done this thing. 23. How beit, he refused to turn aside :
7. Therefore now let your hands be wherefore Abner, with the hinder end of strengthened, and be ye valiant: for your the spear, smote him under the fifth rib, that master Saul is dead, and also the house of the spear came out bebind him; and he Judah have anointed me king over them. fell down there, and died in the same place:
8. I But Abner the son of Ner, captain and it came to pass, that as many as came of Saul's host, took Ish-bosheth the son of to the place where Asahel fell down and Saul, and brought him over to Mahanaim : | died, stood still.
9, And he made him king over Gilead, 24. Joab also and Abishai pursued after and over the Ashurites, and over Jezreel, Abner: and the sun went down when they and over Ephraim, and over Benjamin, and were come to the hill of Ammah, that lieth over all Israel.
before Giah, by the way of the wilderness 10. Ish-bosheth, Saul's son, was forty of Gibeon. years old when he began to reign over Is- 25. And the children of Benjamin gathrael, and reigned two years. But the house ered themselves together after Abner, and of Judah followed David.
became one troop, and stood on the top 11. And the time that David was king of a hill. in Hebron, over the house of Judah, was 26. Then Abner called to Joab, and said, seven years and six months.
Shall the sword devour for ever? knowest 12. 1 And Abner the son of Ner, and the thou not that it will be bitterness in the latter servants of Ish-bosheth the son of Saul, end ? how long shall it be then ere thou went out from Mahanaim to Gibeon. bid the people return froin following their
13. And Joab the son of Zeruiah, and || brethren? the servants of David, went out, and met 27. And Joab said, As God liveth, unless together by the pool of Gibeon: and they sat | thou hadst spoken, surely then in the morndown, the one on the one side of the pool, ing the people had gone up every one from and the other on the other side of the pool.
14. And Abner said to Joab, Let the | 28. So Joab blew a trumpet, and all the young men now arise, and play before us. people stood still, and pursued after Israel And Joab said, Let them arise.
no more, neither sought they any more. 15. Then there arose, and went over by 29. And Abner and his men walked all number, twelve of Benjamin, which per-| that night through the plain, and passed tained to Ish-bosheth the son of Saul, and over Jordan, and went through all Bithron, twelve of the servants of David.
and they came to Mahanaim. 16. And they caught every one his fellow 30. And Joab returned from following by the head, and thrust his sword in his | Abner: and when he had gathered all the sellow's side ; so they fell down together: l people together, there lacked of David's serwherefore that place was called Helkath- | vants nineteen men and Asahel. hazzurim, which is in Gibeon.
| 31. But the servants of David had smitten 17. And there was a very sore battle that of Benjamin, and of Abner's men, so that day: and Abner was beaten, and the men three hundred and threescore men died.. of Israel, before the servants of David. 32. And they took up Asahel, and buried
said Ang behin husban
him in the sepulchre of his father, which was | 15. And Ish-bosheth sent, and took her in Beth-lehem. And Joab and his men from her husband, even from Phaltiel the went all night, and they came to Hebron at | son of Laish. break of day.
16. And her husband went with her along CHAP. III.
weeping behind her to Bahurim. Then During the war David still wazeth stronger. said Abner unto him, Go, return. And he 1. N OW there was long war between the returned.
house of Saul and the house of David: 17. | And Abner had communication but David waxed stronger and stronger, and with the elders of Israel, saying, Ye sought the house of Saul waxed weaker and weaker. for David in times past to be king over you :
2. And unto David were sons born in i 18. Now then do it: for the LORD bath Hebron: and his first-born was Amnon, of | spoken of David, saying, By the hand of my Abinoam the Jezreelitess;
servant David I will save my people Israel 3. And his second, Chileab, of Abigail out of the hand of the Philistines, and out the wife of Nabal the Carmelite; and the of the hand of all their enemies. third, Absalom, the son of Maacah the 19. And Abner also spake in the ears of daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; Benjamin : and Abner went also to speak
4. And the fourth, Adonijah, the son of Hag- in the ears of David in Hebron all that · gith;and the fifth,Shephatiah,the son ofAbital; seemed good to Israel, and that seemed good
5. And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah, David's to the whole house of Benjamin. wife. These were born to David in Hebron. 20. So Abner came to David to Hebron,
6. And it came to pass, while there was and twenty men with him : and David war between the house of Saul and the made Abner, and the men that were with house of David, that Abner made himself him, a feast. strong for the house of Saul.
21. And Abner said unto David, I will 7. And Saul had a concubine, whose arise and go, and will gather all Israel unto name was Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah: and my lord the king, that they may make a Ish-bosheth said to Abner, Wherefore hast league with thee, and that thou mayest reign thou gone in unto my father's concubine ? over all that thine heart desireth. 'And Da
8. Then was Abner very wroth, for the vid sent Abner away; and he went in peace. words of Ish-bosheth, and said, Am I a dog's 22. And, behold, the servants of David head, which against Judah do show kiud- and Joab canie from pursuing a troop, and ness this day unto the house of Saul thy brought in a great spoil with them : (but father, to his brethren, and to his friends, Abner was not with David in Hebron ; for and have not delivered thee into the hand he had sent him away, and he was gone in of David, that thou chargest me to-day | peace.) with a fault concerning this woman?
23. When Joab and all the host that was 9. So do God to Abner, and more also, with him were come, they told Joab, say. except as the Lord hath sworn to David, ing, Abner the son of Ner came to the king, even so I do to him ;
and he hath sent him away, and he is gone 10. To translate the kingdom from the in peace: house of Saul, and to set up the throne of 24. Then Joab came to the king, and David over Israel, and over Judah, from said, What hast thou done? behold, Abner Dan even to Beer-sheba.
came unto thee; why is it that thou hast 11. And he could not answer Abner a sent him away, and he is quite gone? word again, because he feared him.
25. Thou knowest Abner the son of Ner, 12. And Abner sent messengers to David that he came to deceive thee, and to know on his behalf, saying, Whose is the land ? || thy going out, and thy coming in, and to saying also, Make thy league with me, and, I know all that thou doest. behold, my hand shall be with thee, to bring 26. And when Joab was come out from about all Israel unto thee.
David, he sent messengers after Abner, 13. And he said, Well; I will make a which brought him again from the well of league with thee: but one thing I require Sirah: but David knew it not. of thee, that is, Thou shalt not see my 27. And when Abner was returned to face, except thou first bring Michal, Saul's Hebron, Joab took him aside in the gate daughter, when thou comest to see my face. to speak with him quietly, and smote him . 14. And David sent messengers to Ish- there under the fifth rib, that he died, for the bosheth, Saul's son, saying, Deliver me my blood of Asahel his brother. wife Michal, which I espoused to me for a 28. And afterward, when David heard hundred foreskins of the Philistines. ll it, he said, I and my kingdom are guiltless hefore the Lord for ever from the blood of ll that was lame of his feet. He was five years Abner the son of Ner.
old when the tidings came of Saul and Jo29. Let it rest on the head of Joab, and nathan out of Jezreel, and his nurse took on all his father's house; and let there not him up, and fled: and it came to pass, as she fail from the house of Joab one that hath made haste to flee, that he fell, and became an issue, or that is a leper, or that leaneth lame. Aud' his name was Mephibosheth. on a staff, or that falleth on the sword, or 5. And the sons of Rimmon, the Beerothat lacketh bread.
thite, Rechab and Baanah, went, and came 30. So Joab and Abishai his brother slew | about the heat of the day to the house of Abner, because he had slain their brother Ish-bosheth, who lay on a bed at noon : Asahel at Gibeon in the battle.
6. And they came thither into the midst 31. And David said to Joab, and to all of the house, as though they would have the people that were with him, Rend your || fetched wheat; and they smote him under clothes, and gird you with sackcloth, and the fifth rib: and Rechab and Baanah his mourn before Abner. And king David | brother escaped. himself followed the bier.
7. For when they came into the house, 32. And they buried Abner in Hebron: he lay on his bed in his bed-chamber; and and the king lifted up his voice, and wept they smote him, and slew him, and beat the grave of Abner; and all the people headed him, and took his head, and gat them wept.
away through the plain all night. 33. And the king lamented over Abner, 8. And they brought the head of Ishand said, Died Abner as a fool dieth? : bosheth unto David to Hebron, and said to
34. Thy hands were not bound, nor thy | the king, Behold the head of Ish-bosheth, feet put into fetters: as a man falleth before the son of Saul thine enemy, which sought wicked men, so sellest thou. And all the thy life; and the Lord hath avenged my lord people wept again over him.
the king this day of Saul, and of bis seed. 35. And when all the people came to L 9. And David answered Rechab and cause David to eat meat while it was yet Baanah his brother, the sons of Rimmon day, David sware, saying, So do God to the Beerothite, and said unto them, As the me, and more also, if I taste bread, or aught | Lord liveth, who hath redeemed my soul else, till the sun be down. .
out of all adversity, 36. And all the people took notice of it, 10. When one told me, saying, Behold, and it pleased them: as whatsoever the Saul is dead, (thinking to have brought good king did pleased all the people.
tidings,) I took hold of him, and slew him 37. For all the people, and all Israel un- in Ziklag, who thought that I would have derstood that day, that it was not of the king given him a reward for his tidings : to slay Abner the son of Ner.
11. How much more, when wicked men 38. And the king said unto his servants, I have slain a righteous person in his own Know ye not that there is a prince and a house upon his bed ? shall I not therefore great man fallen this day in Israel? | now require his, blood of your hand, and
39. And I am this day weak, though take you away from the earth? anointed king; and these men the sons of 12. And David commanded his young Zeruiah be too hard for me: the LORD shall men, and they slew them, and cut off their reward the doer of evil according to his | | hands and their feet, and hanged them up wickedness.
over the pool in Hebron. But they took the CHAP. IV.
head of Ish-bosheth, and buried it in the Baanah and Rechab slay Ish-bosheth.
sepulchre of Abner in Hebron. 1. AND when Saul's son heard that Ab
CHAP. V. I ner was dead in Hebron, his hands | The tribes come to Hebron to anoint David over Israel. were feeble, and all the Israelites were 1. THEN came all the tribes of Israel to troubled.
I David unto Hebron, and spake, say2. And Saul's son had two men that were ing, Behold, we are thy bone and thy flesh. captains of bands; the name of the one was 2. Also in time past, when Saul was king Baanah, and the name of the other Rechab, | over us, thou wast he that leddest out and the sons of Rimmon a Beerothite, of the broughtest in Israel: and the LORD said to children of Benjamin: (for Beeroth also thee, Thou shalt feed my people Israel, and was reckoned to Benjamin :
thou shalt be a captain over Israel. 3. And the Beerothites fled to Gittaim, 3. So all the elders of Israel came to the and were sojourners there until this day.) king to Hebron ; and king David made a
4. And Jonathan, Saul's son, had a son || league with them in Hebron before the
Lord: and they anointed David king over || 20. And David came to Baal-perazim, Israel.
and David smote them there, and said, The 4. David was thirty years old when he be- LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies gan to reign, and he reigned forty years before me, as the breach of waters. There
5. In Hebron he reigned over Judah fore he called the name of that place Baalseven years and six months; and in Jerusa perazim. lem he reigned thirty and three years over 21. And there they left their images, and all Israel and Judah.
David and his men burnt them. 6. And the king and his men went to Je- 22. | And the Philistines came up yet rusalem unto the Jebusites, the inhabitants again, and spread themselves in the valley of the laud; which spake unto David, say-of Rephaim. . ing, Except thou take away the blind and 23. And when David inquired of the the lame, thou shalt not come in hither: Lord, he said, Thou shalt not go up; but thinking, David cannot come in hither. fetch a compass behind them, and come
7. Nevertheless David took the strong upon them over against the mulberry-trees. hold of Zion: the same is the city of David. 24. And let it be, when thou hearest the
8. And David said on that day, Whoso- sound of a gomg in the tops of the mulever getteth up to the gutter, and smiteth the berry-trees, that then thou shalt bestir thyJebusites, and the lame and the blind, that self: for then shall the LORD go out before are hated of David's soul, he shall be chief thee, to smite the host of the Philistines. and captain : wherefore they said, The blind 25. And David did so, as the Lord had and the lame shall not come into the house. commanded him; and smote the Philistines
9. So David dwelt in the fort, and called it from Geba until thou come to Gazer. The city of David: and David built round
CHAP. V1. about, from Millo and inward.
David fetcheth the ark from Kirjath-jearim on a new cart. 10. And David went on, and grew great; 1. AGAIN, David gathered together all and the LORD God of hosts was with him. A the chosen men of Israel, thirty thou
11. And Hiram king of Tyre sent mes i sand. sengers to David, and cedar-trees, and car-. 2. And David arose, and went with all penters, and masons; and they built David the people that were with him from Baale a house.
of Judah, to bring up from thence the ark 12. And David perceived that the Lord of God, whose name is called by the name had established him king over Israel, and of The Lord of hosts, that dwelleth bethat he had exalted his kingdom for his tween the cherubims. people Israel's sake.
3. And they set the ark of God upon a 13. And David took him more concubines new cart, and brought it out of the house and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was of Abinadab that was in Gibeah : and Uzcome from Hebron: and there were yet zah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave sons and daughters born to David.
the new cart. 14. And these be the names of those 4. And they brought it out of the house that were born unto him in Jerusalem ; of Abinadab, which was at Gibeah, accomShammuah, and Shobab, and Nathan, and panying the ark of God: and Ahio went Solomon,
before the ark. 15. Ibhar also, and Elishua, and Nepheg, 5. And David and all the house of Israel, and Japhia,
played before the LORD on all manner of 16. And Elishama, and Eliada, and Eli-instruments made of fir-wood, even on harps, phalet.
and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on 17. But when the Philistines heard that cornets, and on cymbals. they had anointed David king over Israel, 6. And when they came to Nachon's all the Philistines came up to seek David ; threshing-floor, Uzzah put forth his hand and David heard of it, and went down to to the ark of God, and took hold of it; the hold.
for the oxen shook it. 18. The Philistines also came, and spread 7. And the anger of the LORD was kinthemselves in the valley of Rephaim. dled against Uzzah, and God smote him
19. And David inquired of the LORD, there for his error; and there he died by saying, Shall I go up to the Philistines ? wilt the ark of God. thou deliver them into mine hand? And the 8. And David was displeased, because LORD said unto David, Go up; for I will the LORD had made a breach upon Uzdoubtless deliver the Philistines into thine zah: and he called the name of the place hand.
ll Perez-uzzah to this day,
bes. An before the of fir-Woo simt
Eli Singayed befo avid and
for the oxenesinger of the God osmote hing