« PreviousContinue »
il 13. And he said unto his servant, Come, A Levite goeth to Bethlehem to fetch home his wife and let us draw near to one of these places 1. AND it came to pass in those days, to lodge all night, in Gibeah, or in Ramah.
A when there was no king in Israel, 14. And they passed on and went their way; that there was a certain Levite sojourn- and the sun went down upon them when they ing on the side of mount Ephraim, who took were by Gibeah, which belongeth to Benjamin. to him a concubine out of Beth-lehem-judah. | 15. And they turned aside thither, to go
2. And his concubine played the whore in and to lodge in Gibeah: and when he against him, and went away from him unto went in, he sat him down in a street of the her father's house to Beth-lehem-judah, and city; for there was no man that took them was there four whole months.
| into his house to lodging. 3. And her husband arose, and went after 16. And, behold, there came an old man her, to speak friendly unto her, and to bring from his work out of the field at even, her again, having his servant with him, and which was also of mount Ephraim; and a couple of asses: and she brought him into he sojourned in Gibeah: but the men of her father's house; and when the father of the place were Benjamites. the damsel saw him, he rejoiced to meet him. 17. And when he had lifted up his eyes,
4. And his father-in-law, the damsel's he saw a way-faring man in the street of father, retained him; and he abode with the city: and the old man said, Whither him three days: so they did eat and drink, I goest thou ? and whence comest thou ? and lodged there.
18. And he said unto him, We are 5. And it came to pass on the fourth day, passing from Beth-lehem-judah toward the when they arose early in the morning, that he side of mount Ephraim; from thence am I: rose up to depart: and the damsel's father said | and I went to Beth-lehem-judah, but I am unto his son-in-law, Comfort thine heart with now going to the house of the LORD; and a morselof bread, and afterward go yourway. there is no man that receiveth me to house.
6. And they sat down, and did eat and 19. Yet there is both straw and provendrink both of them together: for the damsel's der for our asses; and there is bread and sather had said unto the man, Be content, I wine also for me, and for thy handmaid, pray thee, and tarry all night, and let thine and for the young man which is with thy heart be merry.
servants: there is no want of any thing. 7. And when the man rose up to depart, 20. And the old man said, Peace be with his father-in-law urged him; therefore he thee: howsoever, let all thy wants lie upon lodged there again.
me; only lodge not in the street. 8. And he arose early in the morning on 21. So he brought him into his house, the fifth day to depart; and the damsel's and gave provender unto the asses: and father said, Comfort thine heart, I pray they washed their feet, and did eat and drink. thee. And they tarried until afternoon, 22. Now, as they were making their and they did eat both of them.
hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, 9. And when the man rose up to depart, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round he and his concubine and his servant, his fa- || about, and beat at the door, and spake to ther-in-law, the damsel's father, said unto him, the master of the house, the old man, saying, Behold now,the day drawethtoward evening; Bring forth the man that came into thine I pray you tarry all night: behold, the day || house, that we may know him. groweth to an end; lodge here, that thine | 23. And the man, the master of the house, heart may be merry; and to-morrow get you went out unto them, and said unto them, early on your way, that thou mayest go home. | Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not
10. But the man would not tarry that so wickedly; seeing that this man is come night, but he rose up and departed, and into mine house, do not this folly. ' came over against Jebus, which is Jerusa 24. Behold, here is my daughter, a maidlem: and there were with him two asses en, and his concubine; them I will bring saddled ; his concubine also was with him. out now, and humble ye them, and do with
11. And when they were by Jebus, the day them what seemeth good unto you: but was far spent; and the servant said unto his unto this man do not so vile a thing. master, Come, I pray thee, and let us turn in 25. But the men would not hearken to him: unto this city of the Jebusites, and lodge in it. so the man took his concubine, and brought
12. And his master said unto him, We her forth unto them; and they knew her, and will not turn aside hither into the city of a abused her all the night until the morning: and stranger, that is not of the children of Israel ; when the day began to spring, they let her go. we will pass over to Gibeah.
26. Then came the woman, in the dawn
ing of the day, and fell down at the door || out of ten thousand, to fetch victual for the of the man's house where her lord was, till people, that they may do, when they come it was light.
to Gibeah of Benjamin, according to all the 27. And her lord rose up in the morning, and folly that they have wrought in Israel. opened the doors of the house, and went out 1 11. So all ihe men of Israel were gathered to go bis way: and, behold, the woman his against the city, knit together as one man. concubine was fallen down at the door of the | 12.And the tribes of Israel sent men through house, and her hands were upon the threshold. all the tribe of Benjamin, saying, What wick
28. And he said unto her, Up, and let us edness is this that is done among you ? be going: but none answered. Then the || 13. Now therefore deliver us the men, man took her up upon an ass, and the man the children of Belial, which are in Gibeah, rose up, and gat him unto his place. that we may put them to death, and put
29. And when he was come into his | away evil from Israel. But the children of house, he took a knife, and laid hold on Benjamin would not hearken to the voice his concubine, and divided her, together of their brethren the children of Israel : with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent 14. But the children of Benjamin gaher into all the coasts of Israel.
thered themselves together out of the cities 30. And it was so, that all that saw it said,unto Gibeah, to go out to battle aga There was no such deed done nor seen from children of Israel. the day that the children of Israel came up | 15. And the children of Benjamin were out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consi-numbered at that time, out of the cities, der of it, take advice, and speak your minds. twenty and six thousand men that drew CHAP. XX.
sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, The war between the Benjamites and the Israelites. which were numbered seven hundred chos1. THEN all the children of Israel went || en men.
1 out, and the congregation was ga- 16. Among all this people there were se- . thered together as one man, from Dan even ven hundred chosen men left-handed; every to Beer-sheba, with the land of Gilead, unto one could sling stones at a hair breadth, the LORD in Mizpeh. '
and not miss. 2. And the chief of all the people, even of 1 17. And the men of Israel, beside Benall the tribes of Israel, presented themselves jamin, were numbered four hundred thouin the assembly of the people of God, four sand men that drew sword : all these were hundred thousand footmen that drew sword. men of war.
3. (Now the children of Benjamin heard 18, And the children of Israel arose, and that the children of Israel were gone up to went up to the house of God, and asked Mizpeh.) Then said the children of Israel, I counsel of God, and said, Which of us shall Tell us how was this wickedness ? . go up first to the battle against the children
4. And the Levite, the husband of the of Benjamin? And the LORD said, Judah woman that was slain, answered and said, shall go up first. I came into Gibeah that belongeth to Ben- 19. And the children of Israel rose up in jamin, I and my concubine, to lodge: the morning, and encamped against Gibeah.
5. And the men of Gibeah rose against me, 20. And the men of Israel went out to and beset the house round about upon me by battle against Benjamin; and the men of night, and thought to have slain me; and my Israel put themselves in array to fight against concubine have they forced, that she is dead. them at Gibeah.
6. And I took my concubine, and cut her' 21. And the children of Benjamin came in pieces, and sent her throughout all the forth out of Gibeah, and destroyed down to country of the inheritance of Israel : for they | the ground, of the Israelites that day, twenty have committed lewdness and folly in Israel. and two thousand men.
7. Behold, ye are all children of Israel ; 1 22. And the people, the men of Israel, give here your advice and counsel.
encouraged themselves, and set their battle 8. And all the people arose as one man, again in array, in the place where they put saying, We will not any of us go to his tent, themselves in array the first day. neither will we any of us turn into his house: | 23. (And the children of Israel went up, ,
9. But now, this shall be the thing which and wept before the LORD until even, and we will do to Gibeah, we will go up by lot | asked counsel of the LORD, saying, Shall I against it:
go up again to battle against the children 10. And we will take ten men of a hun- l of Benjamin my brother? And the LORD dred throughout all the tribes of Israel, and said, Go up against him.) a hundred of a thousand, and a thousand l 24. And the children of Israel came near
against the children of Benjamin the second rushed upon Gibeah; and the liers in wait day.
drew themselves along, and smote all the city 25. And Benjamin went forth against with the edge of the sword. them out of Gibeah the second day, and 38. Now there was an appointed sign destroyed down to the ground, of the chil- between the men of Israel and the liers in dren of Israel again, eighteen thousand men; wait, that they should make a great flame all these drew the sword.
with smoke rise up out of the city. 26. Then all the children of Israel, and 39. And when the men of Israel retired all the people, went up, and came unto the in the battle, Benjamin began to smite and house of God and wept, and sat there be kill of the men of Israel about thirty perfore the LORD, and fasted that day until sons; for they said, Surely they are smitten even, and offered burnt-offerings and peace down before us, as in the first battle. offerings before the LORD.
40. But when the flame began to arise 27. And the children of Israel inquired up out of the city with a pillar of smoke, the of the LORD, (for the ark of the covenant Benjamites looked behind them, and, behold, of God was there in those days;
the flame of the city ascended up to heaven. 28. And Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, 41. And when the men of Israel turned the son of Aaron, stood before it in those again, the men of Benjamin were amazed : days,) saying, Shall I yet again go out to for they saw that evil was come upon them. battle against the children of Benjamin my 42. Therefore they turned their backs bebrother, or shall I cease? And the LORD fore the men of Israel unto the way of the said, Go up; for to-morrow I will deliver | wilderness; but the battle overtook them: them into thine hand.
and them which came out of the cities they 29. And Israel set liers in wait round || destroyed in the midst of them. about Gibeah.
43. "Thus they inclosed the Benjamites 30. And the children of Israel went up round about, and chased them, and trode against the children of Benjamin on the them down with ease, over against Gibeah third day, and put themselves in array toward the sun-rising. against Gibeah, as at other times.
44. And there fell of Benjamin eighteen 31. And the children of Benjamin went thousand men: all these were men of valour. out against the people, and were drawn 45. And they turned, and fled toward the away from the city; and they began to smite wildernessunto the rock of Rimmon: and they of the people and kill, as at other times, in i gleaned of them in the highways five thouthe highways, of which one goeth up to the sand men; and pursued hard after them unto house of God, and the other to Gibeah in Gidom, and slew two thousand men of them, the field, about thirty men of Israel.
46. So that all which fell that day of Ben32. And the children of Benjamin said, They jamin weretwenty and five thousand men that are smitten down before us, as at the first. But drew the sword: all these were men of valour. the children of Israel said, Let us flee, and 47. But six hundred men turned, and fled draw them from the city unto the highways. I to the wilderness unto the rock Rimmon,
33. And all the men of Israel rose up out and abode in the rock Rimmon four months. of their place, and put themselves in array 48. And the men of Israel turned again at Baal-tamar; and the liers in wait of upon the children of Benjamin, and smote Israel came forth out of their places, even them with the edge of the sword, as well out of the meadows of Gibeah.
the men of every city as the beast, and all 34. And there came against Gibeah ten that came to hand : also they set on fire all thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and the cities that they came to. the battle was sore: but they knew not that
CHAP. XXI. evil was near them.
The people bewail the desolation of Benjamin. 35. And the LORD smote Benjamin be- 1. N OW the men of Israel had sworn in fore Israel : and the children of Israel de N Mizpeh, saying, There shall not any stroyed of the Benjamites that day twenty of us give his daughter unto Benjamin to wife. and five thousand and a hundred men: all 2. And the people came to the house of these drew the sword.
God, and abode there till even before God, 36. So the children of Benjamin saw that and lifted up their voices, and wept sore; they were smitten : for the men of Israel 3. And said, O LORD God of Israel, why gave place to the Benjamites, because they is this come to pass in Israel, that there trusted unto the liers in wait which they had should be to-day one tribe lacking in Israel ? set beside Gibeah.
4. And it came to pass on the morrow, 37. And the liers in wait hasted, and l that the people rose early, and built there
an altar, and offered burnt-offerings and || Benjamin, because that the LORD vad made peace-offerings.
a breach in the tribes of Israel. 5. And the children of Israel said, Who is 16. Then the elders of the congregation there among all the tribes of Israel that came | said, How shall we do for wives for them not up with the congregation unto the Lord? that remain, seeing the women are destroyed For they had made a great oath concern out of Benjamin ? ing him that came not up to the Lord to 17. And they said, There must be an inheMizpeh, saying, He shall surely be put to ritance for them that be escaped of Benjamin, death.
that a tribe be not destroyed out of Israel." 6. And the children of Israel repented 18. Howbeit we may not give them them for Benjamin their brother, and said, I wives of our daughters: for the children There is one tribe cut off from Israel this of Israel have sworn, saying, Cursed be he day.
that giveth a wife to Benjamin. 7. How shall we do for wives for them 19. Then they said, Behold, there is a that remain, seeing we have sworn by the seast of the Lord in Shiloh yearly, in a LORD, that we will not give them of our place which is on the north side of Beth-el, daughters to wives?
on the east side of the highway that goeth 8. And they said, What one is there of up from Beth-el to Shechem, and on the the tribes of Israel that came not up to south of Lebonah. Mizpeh to the LORD? And, behold, there 20. Therefore they commanded the chilcame none to the camp from Jabesh-gilead dren of Benjamin, saying, Go and lie in to the assembly.
wait in the vineyards; 9. For the people were numbered, and, 21. And see, and, behold, if the daughbehold, there were none of the inhabitants ters of Shiloh come out to dance in dances, of Jabesh-gilead there.
then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch 10. And the congregation sent thither you every man his wife of the daughters of twelve thousand men of the valiantest, and Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin. commanded them, saying, Go and smite the 22. And it shall be, when their fathers inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead with the edge of or their brethren come unto us to complain, the sword, with the women and the children. that we will say unto them, Be favourable
11. And this is the thing that ye shall | unto them for our sakes; because we redo, ye shall utterly destroy every male, and served not to each man his wife in the war: every woman that hath lain by man. for ye did not give unto them at this time,
12. And they found among the inhabitants that ye should be guilty. of Jabesh-gilead four hundred young virgins, 23. And the children of Benjamin did so, that had known no man by lying with any and took them wives according to their male; and they brought them unto the camp number, of them that danced, whom they to Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan. caught: and they went and returned unto
13. And the whole congregation sent their inheritance, and repaired the cities, some to speak to the children of Benjamin and dwelt in them : that were in the rock Rimmon, and to call 24. And the children of Israel departed peaceably unto them.
thence at that time, every man to his tribe, 14. And Benjamin came again at that and to his family; and they went out from time; and they gave them wives which they thence every man to his inheritance. had saved alive of the women of Jabesh- | 25. In those days there was no king in gilead: and yet so they sufficed them not. Israel: every man did that which was right
15. And the people repented them for in his own eyes.
| The BOOK of RUTH. CHAP. I.
|| the name of his two sons Mahlon and Elimelech driven by famine into Moab, dieth there. || Chilion, Ephrathites of Beth-lehem-judah. 1. NTOW it came to pass, in the days || And they came into the country of Moab,
N when the judges ruled, that there and continued there. was a famine in the land. And a certain 3. And Elimelech, Naomi's husband, man of Beth-lehem-judah went to sojourn | died; and she was left, and her two sons. in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, || 4. And they took them wives of the woand his two sons.
|| men of Moab; the name of the one was 2. And the name of the man was Elime- || Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: lech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and I and they dwelled there about ten years.
hoe we hen she argite return heard in hand
5. And Mahlon and Chilion died also il 21. I went out full, and the LORD hath both of them; and the woman was left of brought me home again empty: why then her two sons and her husband
call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath 6. Then she arose, with her daughters- testified against me, and the Almighty hath in-law, that she might return from the coun- || afflicted me? try of Moab: for she had heard in the 22. So Naomi returned, and Ruth the country of Moab how that the LORD had | Moabitess, her daughter-in-law, with her, visited his people in giving them bread. which returned out of the country of Moab:
7. Wherefore she went forth out of the and they came to Beth-lehem in the begin place where she was, and her two daugh-ning of barley-harvest. ters-in-law with her: and they went on the
CHAP. II. way to return unto the land of Judah.
Ruth gleaneth in the fields of Boaz. 8. And Naomi said unto her two daugh-1. AND Naomi had a kinsman of her husters-in-law, Go, retúrn each to her mother's A band's, a mighty man of wealth of the house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as family of Elimelech;and his name was Boaz. ye have dealt with the dead, and with me. 2. And Ruth the Moabitess said unto
9. The LORD grant you that ye may find | Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and rest, each of you in the house of her husband. glean ears of corn after him in whose sight Then she kissed them: and they listed up I shall find grace. And she said unto her, their voice and wept. .
Go, my daughter. 10. And they said unto her, Surely we 3. And she went, and came, and gleaned will return with thee unto thy people. in the field after the reapers: and her hap was
11. And Naomi said, Turn again, my to light on a part of the field belonging unto daughters, why will you go with ine ? are Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech. there yet any more sons in my womb, that. 4. And, behold, Boaz came from Beththey may be your husbands?
| lehem, and said unto the reapers, The 12. Turn again, my daughters, go your way; || LORD be with you. And they answered for I am too old to have a husband. If I should him, The LORD bless thee. say, I have hope, if I should have a husband 5. Then -said Boaz unto his servant that also to-night, and should also bear sons; was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this?
13. Would ye tarry for them till they 6. And the servant that was set over the were grown? would ye stay for them from reapers answered and said, It is the Moabhaving husbands ? nay, my daughters; for it ilish damsel that came back with Naomi
hand of the LORD is gone out against me. 7. And she said, I pray you, let me glean
14. And they lifted up their voice, and and gather after the reapers among the wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother sheaves : so she came, and hath continued in-law, but Ruth clave unto her.. even from the morning until now, that she 15. And she said, Behold, thy sister-in-tarried a little in the house.
8. Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest her gods : return thou after thy sister-in-law.thou not, my daughter ? Go not to glean in
16. And Ruth said, Entreat me not to another field, neither go from hence, but leave thee, or to return from following after abide here fast by my maidens: thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and|| 9. Let thine eyes be on the field that they where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people do reap, and go thou after them: have I not shall be my people, and thy God my God. charged the young men that they shall not
17. Where thou diest will I die, and there touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go will I be buried : the Lord do so to me, and unto the vessels, and drink of that which more also, if aught but death part theeand me. the young men have drawn.
18. When she saw that she was stead | 10. Then she fell on her face, and bowed fastly minded to go with her, then she left herself to the ground, and said unto him, speaking unto her.
Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that 19. So they two went until they came to thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing Beth-lehem. And it came to pass, when I am a stranger? they were come to Beth-lehem, that all the | 11. And Boaz answered and said unto city was moved about them; and they said, her, It hath fully been showed me all that Is this Naomi ?
thou hast done unto thy mother-in-law since 20. And she said unto them, Call me not the death of thine husband; and how thou Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hast left thy father and thy mother, and the hath dealt very bitterly with me, Il land of thy nativity, and art come unto a