« PreviousContinue »
27. And Rekem, and Irpeel, and Taralab, || char, for the children of Issachar according
28. And Zelah, Eleph, and Jebusi (which to their families. ts Jerusalem,) Gibeath, and Kirjath; four-l| 18. And their border was toward Jezreel. teen cities with their villages. This is the and Chesulloth, and Shunem, inheritance of the children of Benjamin, ac- 19. And Haphraim, and Shihon, and Ana. cording to their families.
harath, CHAP. XIX.
20. And Rabbith, and Kishion, and Abez, The children of Israel give an inheritance to Joshua. 21. And Remeth, and En-gannim, and 1. AND the second lot came forth to Si-En-haddah, and Beth-pazzez;
meon, even for the tribe of the chil- 22. And the coast reacheth to Tabor, and dren of Simeon according to their families: Shahazimah, and Beth-shemesh; and the and their inheritance was within the inhe-outgoings of their border were at Jordan: ritance of the children of Judah.
sixteen cities with their villages. 2. And they had in their inheritance, ll 23. This is the inheritance of the tribe of Beer-sheba or Sheba, and Moladah, the children of Issachar according to their
3. And Hazar-shual, and Balah, and families, the cities and their villages. Azem,
24. And the fifth lot came out for the tribe 4. And Eltolad, and Bethul, and Hormah, of the children of Asher according to their
5. And Ziklag, and Beth-marcaboth, and families. Hazar-susah,
25. And their border was Helkath, and 6. And Beth-lebaoth, and Sharuhen; thir- Hali, and Beten, and Achshaph, teen cities and their villages :
| 26. And Alammelech, and Amad, and 7. Ain, Remmon, and Ether, and Ashan; Misheal; and reacheth to Carmel westward, four cities and their villages :
and to Shihor-libnath; 8. And all the villages that were round 27. And turneth toward the sun-rising to about these cities to Baalath-beer, Ramath | Beth-dagon, and reacheth to Zebulun, and of the south. This is the inheritance of the to the valley of Jiphthah-el, toward the north tribe of the children of Simeon according to side of Beth-emek, and Neiel, and goeth out their families.
to Cabul on the left hand, 9. Out of the portion of the children of 28. And Hebron, and Rehob, and HamJudah was the inheritance of the children of mon, and Kanah, even unto great Zidon ; Simeon ; for the part of the children of Judah 29. And then the coast turneth to Ramah, was too much for them; therefore the chil. | and to the strong city Tyre ; and the coast dren of Simeon had their inheritance within || turneth to Hosah; and the outgoings thereof the inheritance of them.
are at the sea, from the coast to Achzib: 10. And the third lot came up for the 30. Ummah also, and Aphek, and Rehob: children of Zebulun, according to their fa- | twenty and two cities with their villages. milies: and the border of their inheritance 31. This is the inheritance of the tribe of was unto Sarid:
the children of Asher according to their fa. 11. And their border went up toward the milies, these cities with their villages. sea, and Maralah, and reached to Dabba- | 32. The sixth lot came out to the chilsheth, and reached to the river that is beforedren of Naphtali, even for the children of Jokneam;
Naphtali according to their families. 12. And turned from Sarid eastward, to- 33. And their coast was from Heleph, ward the sun-rising, unto the border of Chis- | from Allon to Zaanannim, and Adami, Neloth-tabor, and then goeth out to Daberath, keb, and Jabneel, unto Lakum; and the and goeth up to Japhia,
outgoings thereof were at Jordan; 13. And from thence passeth on along on 34. And then the coast turneth westward the east to Gittah-hepher, to Ittah-kazin, and to Aznoth-tabor, and goeth out from thence goeth out to Remmon-methoar to Neah: to Hukkok, and reacheth to Zebulun on the
14. And the border compasseth it on the south side, and reacheth to Asher on the west north side to Hannathon: and the outgoings side, and to Judah upon Jordan toward the thereof are in the valley of Jiphthah-el: sun-rising.
15. And Kattath, and Nahalal, and Shim- 35. And the fenced cities are Ziddim, Zer, ron, and Idalah, and Beth-lehem: twelve and Hammath, Rakkath, and Chinnereth, cities with their villages.
36. And Adamah,and Ramah, and Hazor, 16. This is the inheritance of the chil- || 37. And Kedesh, and Edrei, and En-hazor, dren of Zebulun according to their families, \ 38. And Iron, and Migdal-el, Horem, and these cities with their villages.
Beth-anath, and Beth-shemesh; nineteen 17. And the fourth lot came out to Issa || cities with their villages.
39. This is the inheritance of the tribe || 5. And if the avenger of blood pưrsue afof the children of Naphtali according to ter him, then they shall not deliver the slayer their families, the cities and their villages. up into his hand; because he smote his neigb
40. And the seventh lot came out for the bour unwittingly, and hated him not beforetribe of the children of Dan, according to time. their families.
6. And he shall dwell in that city, until 41. And the coast of their inheritance was he stand before the congregation for judg. Zorah, and Eshtaol, and Ir-shemesh, ment, and until the death of the bigh priest
42. And Shaalabbin, and Ajalon, and that shall be in those days: then shall the Jethlah,
slayer return, and come unto his own city, 43. And Elon,and Thimnathah, and Ekron, ll and unto his own house, unto the city from 44. And Eltekeh, and Gibbethon, and Baa | whence he fled. lath,
7. And they appointed Kedesh in Galilee 45. And Jehud, and Bene-berak, and in mount Naphtali, and Shechem in mount Gath-rimmon,
Ephraim, and Kirjath-arba (which is He46. And Me-jarkon, and Rakkon, with bron,) in the mountain of Judah. the border before Japho.
8. And on the other side Jordan by Jeri47. And the coast of the children of Dancho eastward, they assigned Bezer in the went out too little for them; therefore the chil- wilderness upon the plain out of the tribe dren of Dan went up to fight against Le- of Reuben, and Ramoth in Gilead out of shem, and took it, and smote it with the edge the tribe of Gad, and Golan in Bashan out of the sword, and possessed it, and dwelt of the tribe of Manasseh. therein, and called Leshem, Dan, after the 9. These were the cities appointed for all name of Dan their father.
| the children of Israel, and for the stranger 48. This is the inheritance of the tribe that sojourneth among them, that whosoever of the children of Dan according to their fa- | killeth any person at unawares might flee milies, these cities with their villages. thither, and not die by the hand of the aven
49. When they had made an end of divi. ger of blood, until he stood before the conding the land for inheritance by their coasts, gregation. the children of Israel gave an inheritance to
CHAP. XXI. Joshua the son of Nun among them:
Eight and forty cities given unto the Levites. 50. According to the word of the LORD,
1. THEN came near the heads of the they gave him the city which he asked, even
1 fathers of the Levites unto Eleazar Timnath-serah in mount Ephraim: and he l the nries
and he the priest, and unto Joshua the son of Nun, built the city, and dwelt therein.
and unto the heads of the fathers of the 51. These are the inheritances which
aces which tribes of the children of Israel ; Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun,
2. And they spake unto them at Shiloh and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of
in the land of Canaan, saying, The LORD the children of Israel, divided for an inherit
commanded by the hand of Moses to give ance by lot in Shiloh before the Lord, at the
us cities to dwell in, with the suburbs thereof door of the tabernacle of the congregation. || for our cattle. So they made an end of dividing the country. 3. And the children of Israel gave unto CHAP. XX.
the Levites out of their inheritance, at the 1 God commandeth, 7 and the children of Israel appoint the six cities of refuge.
commandment of the Lord, these cities and 1. THE LORD also spake unto Joshua, their suburbs. 1 saying,
4. And the lot came out for the families 2. Speak to the children of Israel, saying, || of the Kohathites: and the children of AaAppoint out for you cities of refuge, where- ron the priest, which were of the Levites, had of I spake unto you by the hand of Moses: || by lot, out of the tribe of Judah, and out of
3. That the slayer that killeth any person the tribe of Simeon, and out of the tribe of unawares and unwittingly may flee thither: Benjamin, thirteen cities. and they shall be your refuge from the aven. 5. And the rest of the children of Kohath ger of blood,
had by lot, out of the families of the tribe of 4. And when he that doth flee unto one Ephraim, and out of the tribe of Dan, and of those cities shall stand at the entering of out of the half tribe of Manasseh, ten cities. the gate of the city, and shall declare his 6. And the children of Gershon had by cause in the ears of the elders of that city, || lot, out of the families of the tribe of Issathey shall take him into the city unto them,char, and out of the tribe of Asher, and out and give him a place, that he may dwell of the tribe of Naphtali, and out of the half among them.
Il tribe of Manasseh in Bashan, thirteen cities
7. The children of Merari, by their fami- || 26. All the cities were ten, with their sulies, had, out of the tribe of Reuben, and out | burbs, for the families of the children of of the tribe of Gad, and out of the tribe of || Kohath that remained. Zebulun, twelve cities.
27. And unto the children of Gershon, of 8. And the children of Israel gave by lot | the families of the Levites, out of the other unto the Levites these cities with their su- balf tribe of Manasseh they gave Golan in burbs, as the LORD commanded by the || Bashan with her suburbs, to be a city of rehand of Moses.
fuge for the slayer; and Beesh-terah with her 9. And they gave out of the tribe of the suburbs; two cities. children of Judah, and out of the tribe of the 28. And out of the tribe of Issachar, Kichildren of Simeon, these cities which are || shon with her suburbs, Dabareh with her suhere mentioned by name,
burbs, 10. Which the children of Aaron, being 29. Jarmuth with her suburbs, En-ganof the families of the Kohathites, who were | nim with her suburbs ; four cities. of the children of Levi, had : for theirs was 30. And out of the tribe of Asher, Mishal the first lot.
with her suburbs, Abdon with her suburbs, 11. And they gave them the city of Arba, || 31. Helkath with her suburbs, and Rehob the father of Anak, (which city is Hebron,) || with her suburbs; four cities, in the hill-country of Judah, with the su 32. And out of the tribe of Naphtali, burbs thereof round about it.
Kedesh in Galilee with her suburbs, to be a 12. But the fields of the city, and the city of refuge for the slayer; and Hammothvillages thereof, gave they to Caleb the son dor with her suburbs, and Kartan with her of Jephunneh for his possession.
suburbs; three cities. 13. Thus they gave to the children of 33. All the cities of the Gershonites, ac- Aaron the priest, Hebron with her suburbs, cording to their families, were thirteen cities to be a city of refuge for the slayer; and with their suburbs. Libnah with her suburbs,
34. And unto the families of the children 14. And Jattir with her suburbs, and Esh- || of Merari, the rest of the Levites, out of the temoa with her suburbs,
tribe of Zebulun, Jokneam with her suburbs, 15. And Holon with her suburbs, and De- and Kartah with her suburbs, bir with her suburbs,
35. Dimnah with her suburbs, Nahalal 16. And Ain with her suburbs, and Juttah | with her suburbs ; four cities. with her suburbs, and Beth-shemesh with | 36. And out of the tribe of Reuben, Bezer her suburbs; nine cities out of those two with her suburbs, and Jahazah with her tribes.
suburbs, 17. And out of the tribe of Benjamin, Gi- 37. Kedemoth with her suburbs, and Me. beon with her suburbs, Geba with her su- | phaath with her suburbs ; four cities. burbs,
38. And out of the tribe of Gad, Ramoth 18. Anathoth with her suburbs, and Al-in Gilead with her suburbs, to be a city of mon with her suburbs; four cities.
refuge for the slayer ; and Mahanaim with 19. All the cities of the children of Aaron, | her suburbs, the priests, were thirteen cities with their su- || 39. Heshbon with her suburbs, Jazer with burbs.
her suburbs; four cities in all. 20. And the families of the children of 40. So all the cities for the children of Kohath, the Levites which remained of the Merari, by their families, which were rechildren of Kohath, even they had the cities maining of the families of the Levites, were, of their lot out of the tribe of Ephraim. | by their lot, twelve cities.
21. For they gave them Shechem with 41. All the cities of the Levites within the her suburbs in mount Ephraim, to be a city | possession of the children of Israel were forty. of refuge for the slayer; and Gezer with her and eight cities with their suburbs. suburbs,
42. These cities were every one with their 22. And Kibzaim with her suburbs, and suburbs round about them: thus were all Beth-horon with her suburbs; four cities. | these cities.
23. And out of the tribe of Dan, Eltekeh| 43. 1 And the Lord gave unto Israel all the with her suburbs, Gibbethon with hersuburbs, || land which he sware to give unto their fathers;
24. Aijalon with her suburbs, Gath-rim- and they possessed it, and dwelt therein. mon with her suburbs; four cities.
44. And the Lord gave them rest round 25. And out of the half tribe of Manasseh, || about, according to all that he sware unto Taanach with her suburbs, and Gath-rim- | their fathers : and there stood not a man of mon with her suburbs; 'two cities.
all their enemies before them; the LORD
delivered all their enemies into their hand. || Behold, the children of Reuben, and the
45. There failed not aught of any good children of Gad, and the half tribe of Ma. thing which the Lord had spoken unto the nasseh, have built an altar over against the house of Israel; all came to pass.
land of Canaan, in the borders of Jordan, CHAP. XXII.
at the passage of the children of Israel. The two tribes and half with a blessing are sent home. 12. And when the children of Israel heard 1.77 'HEN Joshua called the Reubenites, of it, the whole congregation of the children
1 and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Israel gathered themselves together at Shiof Manasseh,
loh, to go up to war against them. , 2. And said unto them, Ye have kept all 13. And the children of Israel sent unto that Moses the servant of the LORD com the children of Reuben, and to the children manded you, and have obeyed my voice in of Gad, and to the half tribe of Manasseh, all that I commanded you:
into the land of Gilead, Phinehas, the son of 3. Ye have not left your brethren these Eleazar the priest; many days unto this day, but have kept the 14. And with him ten princes, of each chief charge of the commandment of the LORD | | house a prince throughout all the tribes of your God.
Israel ; and each one was a head of the 4. And now the LORD your God hath || house of their fathers among the thousands given rest unto your brethren, as he promis of Israel. ed them: therefore now return ye, and get | 15. And they came unto the children of you unto your tents, and unto the land of Reuben, and to the children of Gad, and to your possession, which Moses the servant of the half tribe of Manasseh, unto the land of the Lord gave you on the other side Jordan. Gilead; and they spake with them, saying,
5. But take diligent heed to do the com- 16. Thus saith the whole congregation mandment and the law, which Moses the of the LORD, What trespass is this that ye servant of the Lord charged you, to love have committed against the God of Israel, to the LORD your God, and to walk in all his turn away this day from following the LORD, ways, and to keep his commandments, and in that ye have builded you an altar, that to cleave unto him, and to serve him with ye might rebel this day against the LORD? all your heart and with all your soul.
17. Is the iniquity of Peor too little for us, 6. So Joshua blessed them, and sent them from which we are not cleansed until this away: and they went unto their tents. day, although there was a plague in the
7. Now, to the one half of the tribe of congregation of the LORD, Manasseh Moses had given possession in Ba- 18. But that ye must turn away this day shan; but unto the other half thereof gave Jo- from following the LORD ? and it will be, shua among their brethren on this side Jor- seeing ye rebel to-day against the LORD, that dan westward. And when Joshua sent them to-morrow he will be wroth with the whole away also unto their tents, then he blessed congregation of Israel. them;
19. Notwithstanding, if the land of your 8. And he spake unto them, saying, Re-possession be unclean, then pass ye over unto turn with much riches unto your tents, and the land of the possession of the Lord, with very much cattle, with silver, and with wherein the Lord's tabernacle dwelleth, gold, and with brass, and with iron, and and take possession among us: but rebel with very much raiment: divide the spoil of not against the LORD, nor rebel against us, your enemies with your brethren.
in building you an altar, beside the altar of 9. And the children of Reuben, and the the Lord our God. children of Gad, and the half tribe of Ma- 20. Did not Achan the son of Zerah comnasseh, returned, and departed from the chil- mit a trespass in the accursed thing, and dren of Israel out of Shiloh, which is in the wrath fell on all the congregation of Israel ? land of Canaan, to go unto the country of and that man perished not alone in his iniGilead, to the land of their possession, where- quity. of they were possessed, according to the word 21. Then the children of Reuben, and of the Lord by the hand of Moses. the children of Gad, and the half tribe of
10. | And when they came unto the bor-Manasseh, answered and said unto the ders of Jordan, that are in the land of Ca- heads of the thousands of Israel, naan, the children of Reuben, and the chil- | .22. The Lord God of gods, the LORD dren of Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh, God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he built there an altar by Jordan, a great altar shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in to see to.
transgression against the LORD, (save us 11. And the children of Israel heard say, I not this day,)
23. That we have built us an altar to turn || Israel ; and the children of Israel blessed from following the LORD, or if to offer God, and did not intend to go up against thereon burnt offering or meat-offering, or if them in battle, to destroy the land wherein to offer peace-offerings thereon, let the LORD the children of Reuben and Gad dwelt. himself require it;
34. And the children of Reuben, and the 24. And if we have not rather done it for children of Gad, called the altar Ed: for it fear of this thing, saying, In time to come shall be a witness between us that the LORD your children might speak unto our children, || is God. saying, What have you to do with the LORD
CHAP. XXIII. God of Israel?
1 Joshua's exhortation before his death, 3 by former benefits, 25. For the Lord hath made Jordan a 5 by promises, 11 and by threatenings. border between us and you; ye children of || 1. AND it came to pass, a long time afReuben, and children of Gad, ye have no ! A ter, that the Lord had given rest part in the LORD: so shall your children unto Israel from all their enemies round make our children cease from fearing the about, that Joshua waxed old and stricken LORD.
in age. 26. Therefore we said, Let us now pre 2. And Joshua called for all Israel, and pare to build us an altar, not for burnt-offer for their elders, and for their heads, and for ing, nor for sacrifice:
their judges, and for their officers, and said 27. But that it may be a witness between | unto them, I am old and stricken in age: us and you, and our generations after us, || 3. And ye have seen all that the LORD that we might do the service of the LORD your God hath done unto all these nations before him with our burnt-offerings, and with because of you: for the Lord your God is our sacrifices, and with our peace-offerings ;|| he that hath fought for you. that your children may not say to our children 4. Behold, I have divided unto you by in time to come, Ye have no part in the Lord. lot these nations that remain, to be an inhe
28. Therefore said we, that it shall be,ritance for your tribes, from Jordan, with all when they should so say to us, or to our ge- | the nations that I have cut off, even unto nerations in time to come, that we may say | the great sea westward. again, Behold the pattern of the altar of the 5. And the LORD your God, he shall exLORD, which our fathers made, not for burnt- | pel them from before you, and drive them offerings, nor for sacrifices; but it is a wit- from out of your sight; and ye shall possess ness between us and you.
their land, as the Lord your God hath pro29. God forbid that we should rebel against mised unto you. the LORD, and turn this day from following | 6. Be ye therefore very courageous, to the LORD, to build an altar for burnt-offer- keep and to do all that is written in the book ings, for meat-offerings, or for sacrifices, be- of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside side the altar of the LORD our God that is therefrom to the right hand or to the left; before his tabernacle.
7. That ye come not among these na30. And when Phinehas the priest, and tions, these that remain among you; neither the princes of the congregation, and heads || make mention of the name of their gods, nor of the thousands of Israel which were with | cause to swear by them, neither serve them, him, heard the words that the children of Reu-| nor bow yourselves unto them: ben and the children of Gad, and the chil- 8. But cleave unto the Lord your God, dren of Manasseh, spake, it pleased them. | as ye have done unto this day.
31. And Phinehas the son of Eleazar the 9. For the Lord hath driven out from bepriest said unto the children of Reuben, and | fore you great nations and strong :' but as to the children of Gad, and to the children for you, no man hath been able to stand beof Manasseh, This day we perceive that the fore you unto this day. LORD is among us, because ye have not com- 10. One man of you shall chase a thoumitted this trespass against the LORD: now sand : for the LORD your God, he it is that ye have delivered the children of Israel out fighteth for you, as he bath promised you. of the hand of the LORD.
11. Take good heed therefore unto your32. And Phinehas the son of Eleazar the selves, that ye love the LORD your God. priest, and the princes, returned from the 12. Else if ye do in any wise go back, children of Reuben, and from the children and cleave unto the remnant of these nations, of Gad, out of the land of Gilead, unto the even these that remain among you, and land of Canaan, to the children of Israel, I shall make marriages with them, and go in and brought them word again.
| unto them, and they to you: 33. And the thing pleased the children of || 13. Know for a certainty that the LORD