« PreviousContinue »
9. And they came to the place which | 2. And Sarah died in Kirjath-arba ; the God had told him of: and Abraham built ansame is Hebron in the land of Canaan: and altar there, and laid the wood in order, Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on weep for her. the altar upon the wood.
| 3. And Abraham stood up from before 10. And Abraham stretched forth his his dead, and spake unto the sons of Heth, hand, and took the knife to slay his son. saying,
11. And the angel of the LORD called 4. I am a stranger and a sojourner with unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, you :give me a possession of a burying-place Abraham: and he said, Here am I. with you, that I may bury my dead out of
12. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon my sight. the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: | 5. And the children of Heth answered for now I know that thou fearest God, see- || Abraham, saying unto him, ing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine | 6. Hear us, my lord: Thou art a mighty only son, from me.
prince among us: in the choice of our se13. And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and pulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall looked, and behold, behind him a ram caught withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that in a thicket by his horns; and Abraham thou mayest bury thy dead. went and took the ram, and offered him up 7. And Abraham stood up, and bowed for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. himself to the people of the land, even to
14. And Abraham called the name of that the children of Heth. (place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, 8. And he communed with them, say'In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen. Ting, If it be your mind that I should bury
15. And the angel of the LORD called un-my dead out of my sight, hear me, and ento Abraham out of heaven the second time, treat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar,
16. And said, By myself have I sworn, || 9. That he may give me the cave of Machsaith the LORD; for because thou hast done pelah which he hath, which is in the end this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, of his field; for as much money as it is thine only son ;
worth he shall give it me, for a possession 17. That in blessing I will bless thee, and of a burying-place among you." in multiplying 1 will multiply thy seed as 10. And Ephron dwelt among the chilthe stars of the heaven, and as the sand dren of Hethi and Ephron the Hittite anwhich is upon the sea-shore; and thy seed swered Abraham in the audience of the shall possess the gate of his enemies: children of Heth, even of all that went in at
18. And in thy seed shall all the nations the gates of his city, saying, of the earth be blessed; because thou hast 11. Nay, my lord, hear me: The field give obeyed my voice.
1 thee, and the cave that is therein, I give 19. So Abraham returned unto his young it thee; in the presence of the sons of my men; and they rose up, and went together people give I it thee: bury thy dead. to Beer-sheba : and `Abraham dwelt at 12. And Abraham bowed down himself Beer-sheba.
before the people of the land. 20. [ And it came to pass after these 13. And he spake unto Ephron, in the things, that it was told Abraham, saying, | audience of the people of the land, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also borne children But if thou wilt give it, I pray thee hear unto thy brother Nahor;
me: 1 will give thee money for the field : 21. Huz his first-born, and Buz his bro- take it of me, and I will bury my dead there. ther, and Kemuel the father of Aram, 14. And Ephron answered Abraham,
22. And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, saying unto him, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.
| 15. My lord, hearken unto me: The land 23. And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these i is worth four hundred shekels of silver; eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's what is that betwixt me and thee? bury brother.
therefore thy dead. 24. And his concubine, whose name was 16. And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; Reumah, she bare also Tebah, and Ga. and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, ham, and Thahash, and Maachah.
which he had named in the audience of the CHAP. XXIII.
sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of sil1 The age and death of Sarah. 3 The purchase of Machpelah. ver, current money with the merchant. 1. AND Sarah was a hundred and se- 17. And the field of Ephron, which was in
A ven and twenty years old: these were Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the the years of the life of Sarah.
Il field, and the cave which was therein, and
“ And the Angel of the Lord called unto him out of Ileaven, and said, Abraham,
Abraham ; and he said, Here am I. “ And he said, Lay not thy hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him ;
for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son, from me.”—GENESIS, CHAP. XXI. ver. 11, 12.
all the trees that were in the field, that were i 11. And he made his camels to kneel in all the borders round about, were made down without the city by a well of water, sure
at the time of the evening, even the time 18. Unto Abraham for a possession, in that women go out to draw water. the presence of the children of Heth, be- 12. And he said, O LORD God of my fore all that wept in at the gates of his city. master Abraham, I pray thee, send me
19. And after this Abraham buried Sarah || good speed this day, and show kindness his wife in the cave of the field of Mach unto my master Abraham. pelah, before Mamre: the same is Hebron | 13. Behold, I stand here by the well of in the land of Canaan.
water; and the daughters of the men of 20. And the field, and the cave that is the city come out to draw water: therein, were made sure unto Abraham, for || 14. And let it come to pass, that the a possession of a burying-place, by the sons damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy of Heth.
pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and CHAP. XXIV.
she shall say, Drink; and I will give thy 1gbraham sweareth his servant: 12 His prayer : 14 His camels drink also: let the same be she that sign. 15 Rebekah metteth him, 18 and fulfilleth his sign,
thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; 34 The sertant show eth his message: 50 Laban and Be. thad approve it. 58 Rebekah consenteth to go. and thereby shall I know that thou bast show1. AND Abraham was old, and welled kindness unto my master.
A stricken in age: and the LORD had 15. And it came to pass, before he had done blessed Abraham in all things.
speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, 2. And Abraham said unto his eldest ser- who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, vant of his house, that ruled over all that the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with he bad, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under her pitcher upon her shoulder. my thigh;
16. And the damsel was very fair to look 3. And I will make thee swear by the upon, a virgin ; neither had any man known LORD, the God of heaven, and the God her: and she went down to the well, and of the earth, that thou shalt not take a filled her pitcher, and came up. wife unto my son of the daughters of the 17. And the servant ran to meet her, and Canaanites, among whom I dwell: said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little
4. But thou shalt go unto my country, water of thy pitcher. and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my 18. And she said, Drink, my lord : and son Isaac.
she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon 5. And the servant said unto him, Perad- her hand, and gave him drink. venture the woman will not be willing to 19. And when she had done giving him follow me unto this land : must I needs drink, she said, I will draw water for thy bring thy son again unto the land from camels also, until they have done drinking. whence thou camest?
20. And she hasted, and emptied her 6. And Abraham said unto him, Beware pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto thou, that thou bring not my son thither the well to draw water, and drew for all his again.
camels. 7. The LORD God of heaven, which 21. And the man, wondering at her, held took me from my father's house, and from his peace, to wit, whether the LORD had the land of my kindred, and which spake made his journey prosperous or not. unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, 22. And it came to pass, as the camels Unto thy seed will I give this land, he shall had done drinking, that the man took a send his angel before thee, and thou shaltgolden ear-ring of half a shekel weight, and take a wife unto my son from thence two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels
8. Ard if the woman will not be willing weight of gold, to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear 23. And said, Whose daughter art thou? from this my oath: only bring not my son tell me, I pray thee. Is there room in thy thither again.
father's house for us to lodge in? 9. And the servant put his hand under II 24. And she said unto him, I am the the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware daughter of Bethuel, the son of Milcah, to him concerning that matter.
which she bare unto Nahor. 10. And the servant took ten camels, of 25. She said moreover unto him, We the camels of his master, and departed; (for have both straw and provender enough, and all the goods of his master were in his hand;) room to lodge in. and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, 26. And the man bowed down his head, unto the city of Nahor.
ll and worshipped the LORD.
27. And he said, Blessed be the LORD! 43. Behold, I stand by the well of water, God of my master Abraham, who hath not and it shall come to pass, that when the left destitute my master of bis mercy and || virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little me to the house of my master's brethren. water of thy pitcher to drink;
28. And the damsel ran, and told them 44. And she say to me, Both drink thou, of her mother's house these things.
and I will also draw for thy camels: let the 29. And Rebekah had a brother, and his same be the woman whom the Lord hath name was Laban : and Laban ran out unto || appointed out for my master's son. the man unto the well.
45. And before I had done speaking in 30. And it came to pass, when he saw mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth the ear-ring, and bracelets upon his sister's with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she hands, and when he heard the words of Re- || went down unto the well, and drew water: bekah his sister, saying, Thus spake the man and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray unto me, that he came unto the man; and, ll thee. behold, he stood by the camels at the well. 46. And she made haste, and let down her
31. And he said, Come in, thou blessed pitcher from her shoulder, and said, Drink; of the LORD; wherefore standest thou with- and I will give thy camels drink also : so I out? for I have prepared the house, and drank, and she made the camels drink also. room for the camels.
47. And I asked her, and said, Whose 32. And the man came into the house: and daughter art thou ? And she said, The he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom provender for the camels, and water to wash Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earhis feet, and the men's feet that were with ring upon her face, and the bracelets upon him.
her hands. 33. And there was set meat before him to 48. And I bowed down my head, and eat: but he said, I will not eat until I have worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD told mine errand. And he said, Speak on.God of my master Abraham, which had led
34. And he said, I am Abraham's ser- || me in the right way, to take my master's vant.
brother's daughter unto his son. 35. And the Lord hath blessed my mas 49. And now, if you will deal kindly and ter greatly, and he is become great: and truly with my master, tell me, and if not, tell he hath given him flocks, and herds, and me; that I may turn to the right hand or to silver, and gold, and men-servants, and the left. maid-servants, and camels, and asses. 50. Then Laban and Bethuel answer
36. And Sarah, my master's wise, bare ed and said, The thing proceedeth from the a son to my master when she was old : and LORD; we cannot speak unto thee bad or unto him hath he given all that he hath.
good. 37. And my master made me swear, say- | 51. Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take ing, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son | her, and go, and let her be thy master's of the daughters of the Canaanites, in son's wife, as the Lord hath spoken. whose land I dwell :
| 52. And it came to pass, that when Abra38. But thou shalt go unto my father's | ham's servant heard their words, he worhouse, and to my kindred, and take a wife | shipped the LORD, bowing himself to the earth. unto my son.
53. And the servant brought forth jewels 39. And I said unto my master, Perad- || of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, venture the woman will not follow me. and gave them to Rebekah: he gave also to
40. And he said unto me, The LORD, her brother and to her mother precious things. before whom I walk, will send his angel 54. And they did eat and drink, he and with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou | the men that were with him, and tarried all shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, || night: and they rose up in the morning; and and of my father's house.
he said, Send me away unto my master. 41. Then shalt thou be clear from this my | 55. And her brother and her mother said, oath, when thou comest to my kindred ; and Let the damsel abide with us a few days, if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear at the least ten; after that she shall go. from my oath.
| 56. And he said unto them, Hinder me not, 42. And I came this day unto the well, seeing the Lord hath prospered my way; and said, O Lord God of my master Abra- | send me away, that I may go to my master. ham, if now thou do prosper my way which| 57. And they said, We will call the
|| damsel, and inquire at her mouth.