« PreviousContinue »
toward the there was a famide Egypt to so-heamen of Abram's cand the
mountain on the east of Beth-el, and pitched || had made there at the first: and there his tent, having Beth-el on the west, and | Abram called on the name of the LORD. Hai on the east; and there he builded an || 5. And Lot also, which went with Abram, altar unto the LORD, and called upon the had flocks, and herds, and tents. name of the LORD.
6. And the land was not able to bear '9 And Abram journeyed, going on still || them, that they might dwell together : for
their substance was great, so that they 10. | And there was a famine in the land : could not dwell together. . and Abram went down into Egypt to so 7. And there was a strife between the journ there ; for the famine was grievous in herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdthe land.
men of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite 11. And it came to pass, when he was and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land. come near to enter into Egypt, that he said || 8. And Abram said unto Lot, Let there unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know | be no strise, I pray thee, between me and that thou art a fair woman to look upon: thee, and between my herdmen and thy.
12. Therefore it shall come to pass, || herdmen ; for we be brethren. when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they || 9. Is not the whole land before thee? Sepa." shall say, This is his wife: and they will rate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou kill me, but they will save thee alive. wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the
13. Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister ; || right; or if thou depart to the right hand, that it may be well with me for thy sake : then I will go to the left. . and my soul shall live because of thee. 10. | And Lot lifted up his eyes, and be
14. | And it came to pass, that, when | held all the plain of Jordan, that it was well Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians watered every where, before the LORD debeheld the woman that she was very fair. stroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the
15. The princes also of Pharaoh saw | garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, her, and commended her before Pharaoh; | as thou comest unto Zoar. and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's | 11. Then Lot chose him all the plain of house.
Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they 16. And he entreated Abram well for separated themselves the one from the other. her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and 12. Abram dwelled in the land of Cahe-asses, and men-servants, and maid-ser- | naan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the vants, and she-asses, and camels.
plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom. 17. And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and 13. But the men of Sodom were wicked, his house with great plagues, because of and sinners before the LORD exceedingly. Sarai, Abram's wife.
14. | And the LORD said unto Abram, 18, And Pharaoh called Abram, and after that Lot was separated from him, Lift said, What is this that thou hast done unto up now thine eyes, and look from the place me? Why didst thou not tell me that she where thou art, northward, and southward,
and eastward, and westward : 19. Why saidst thou, She is my sister ?| 15. For all the land which thou seest, to So I might have taken her to me to wife: thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. now therefore, behold thy wife, take her, | 16. And I will make thy seed as the dust and go thy way.
|| of the earth : so that if a man can number 20. And Pharaoh commanded his men the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed concerning him: and they sent him away, || also be numbered. and his wife, and all that he had.
17. Arise, walk through the land, in the CHAP. XIII.
length of it and in the breadth of it: for I 1 Abram and Lot return out of Egypt: 14 God reneweth I will give it unto thee.
the promise to Abram: 18 He removeth to Hebron, and there buildeth an altar.
18. I Then Abram removed his tent, and 1. AND Abram went up out of Egypt, came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre,
A he, and his wife, and all that he had, which is in Hebron, and built there an and Lot with him, into the south.
altar unto the LORD. 2. And Abram was very rich in cattle, in
CHAP. XIV. silver, and in gold.
1 The battle of the kings. 12 Lot is taken prisoner :
18 Melchisedek blesseth Abram: 20 Abram giveth him 3. And he went on his journies from || tithe. the south, even to Beth-el, unto the place 1. AND it came to pass, in the days of where his tent had been at the beginning, | A Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch between Beth-el and Hai;
| king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam 4. Unto the place of the altar, which he || and Tidal king of nations;
wife?..ist thot, ber to me take he
2. That these made war with Berah | meet him, (after his return from the sla ighking of Sodom, and with Birsha king of ter of Chedorlaomer and of the kings that Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and were with him,) at the valley of Shaveh, Shemeber king of Zeboüm, and the king of which is the king's dale. Bela, which is Zoar.
18. And Melchizedek king of Salem 3. All these were joined together in the brought forth bread and wine; and he was vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea. the priest of the most high God.
4. Twelve years they served Chedorlao- 19. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed mer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled. | be Abram of the most high God, possessor
5. And in the fourteenth year came Che- of heaven and earth: dorlaomer, and the kings that were with him,! · 20. And blessed be the most high God, and smote the Rephaims in Ashteroth Kar- which hath delivered thine enemies into naim, and the Zuzims in Ham, and the thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. Emims in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
| 21. And the king of Sodom said unto 6. And the Horites in their mount Seir, | Abram, Give me the persons, and take the unto El-paran, which is by the wilderness. goods to thyself.
7. And they returned and came to En-| 22. And Abram said to the king of Somishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all dom, I have list up mine hand unto the the country of the Amalekites, and also the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezon-tamar.
8. And there went out the king of 23. That I will not take from a thread Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the even to a shoe-latchet, and that I will not king of Admah, and the king of Zebojim, take any thing that is thine, lest thou and the king of Bela, (the same is Zoar ;) shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: and they joined battle with them in the vale 24. Save only that which the young men of Siddim;
have eaten, and the portion of the men 9. With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and and with Tidal king of nations, and Am | Mamre ; let them take their portion. raphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of
CHAP. XV. Ellasar; four kings with five.
I God encourageth Abram, 4 promiselh him a son, and a 10. And the vale of Siddim was full of
multiplying of his seed. '6 Abram is justified by faith.
7 Candan is promised, and confirmed by a vision." slime-pits; and the kings of Sodom and || 1. AFTER these things, the word of the Gomorrah filed, and fell there; and they | LORD came unto Abram in a vision, that remained fled to the mountain. saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield,
11. And they took all the goods of Sodom and thy exceeding great reward. and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and 12. And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt went their way.
thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the 12. And they took Lot, Abram's brother's steward of my house is this Eliezer of Dason, (who dwelt in Sodom,) and his goods, mascus ? and departed.
3. And Abram said, Behold, to me thou 13. Í And there came one that had es- hast given no seed : and, lo, one born in caped, and told Abram the Hebrew ; for my house is mine heir. he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amo | 4. And, behold, the word of the Lord rite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of came unto him, saying, This shall not be Aner: and these were confederate with thine heir ; but he that shall come forth out Abram.
of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 14. And when Abram heard that his bro- 5. And he brought him forth abroad, and ther was taken captive, he armed his trained said, Look now towards heaven, and tell servants, born in his own house, three hun- | the stars, if thou be able to number them. dred and eighteen, and pursued them unto And he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. Dan.
6. And he believed in the LORD; and 15. And he divided himself against them, he counted it to him for righteousness. he and his servants, by night, and smote 7. And he said unto him, I am the LORD them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, is on the left hand of Damascus.
to give thee this land to inherit it. 16. And he brought back all the goods, 8. And he said, LORD God, whereby and also brought again his brother Lot, shall I know that I shall inherit it? and his goods, and the women also, and | 9. And he said unto him, Take me a the people.
| heifer of three years old, and a she-goat 17. | And the king of Sodom went out to l of three years old, and a ram of three years
Ans. And he be him for righteoun the LORD thai boude de and worde n to whereby
old, and a turtle-dove, and a young pigeon. il into thy bosom; and when she saw that she
10. And he took unto him all these, and had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: divided them in the midst, and laid each the LORD judge between me and thee. piece one against another; but the birds 6. But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, divided he not.
thy maid is in thy hand: do to her as it 11. And when the fowls came down upon | pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt the carcasses, Abram drove them away. || hardly with her, she fled from her face. .
12. | And when the sun was going down, 7. And the angel of the Lord found her a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, aby a fountain of water in the wilderness, by horror of great darkness fell upon him. the fountain in the way to Shur.
13. And he said unto Abram, Know of a 8. And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a whence camest thou ? and whither wilt Jand that is not theirs, and shall serve thou go? And she said, I flee from the them; and they shall afflict them four hun- face of my mistress Sarai. dred years;
9. And the angel of the LORD said unto 14. And also that nation, whom they shall | her, Return to thy mistress, and submit serve, will I judge; and afterward shall || thyself under her hands. they come out with great substance.
10. And the angel of the Lord said unto 15. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old that it shall not be numbered for mulage.
titude. 16. But in the fourth generation they shall 11. And the angel of the LORD said unto come hither again; for the iniquity of the her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt Amorites is not yet full.
bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael ; 17. And it came to pass, that, when the because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. sun went down, and it was dark, behold, a 12. And he will be a wild man; his hand smoking furnace and a burning lamp that will be against every man, and every man's passed between those pieces.
| hand against him: and he shall dwell in the 18. In that same day the LORD made a presence of all his brethren. covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed 13. And she called the name of the LORD have I given this land, from the river of that spake unto her, Thou God seest me:) Egypt unto the great river, the river Eu- for she said, Have I also here looked after phrates :
him that seeth me? 19. The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, 14. Wherefore the well was called Beerand the Kadmonites,
lahai-roi: behold, it is between Kadesh 20. And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and Bered. and the Rephaims,
15. TAnd Hagar bare Abram a son; and 21. And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, || Abram called his son's name, which Hagar and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites. bare, Ishmael. CHAP. XVI.
16. And Abram was fourscore and six | Sarai being barren giveth Hagar to Abram. 15 Ishmael | years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to is born.
Abram. 1. NTOW Sarai, Abram's wife, bare him
CHAP. XVII. IV no children: and she had a hand- || 1 God reneweth the covenant. 10 Circumcision is instituted.
| maid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar. | circumcised.
16 Isaac is promised. 23 Abraham and Ishmael are 2. And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold || 1. AND when Abram was ninety years now, the LORD hath restrained me from A old and nine, the LORD appeared bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid ; it to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almay be that I may obtain children by her. mighty God: walk before me, and be thou And Abram hearkened to the voice of Šarai. perfect.
3.And Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar her 2. And I will make my covenant bemaid, the Egyptian, aster Abram had dwelt tween me and thee; and will multiply thee ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave exceedingly. her to her husband Abram to be his wife. 3. And Abram fell on his face: and God
4. |And he went in unto Hagar, and she talked with him, saying, conceived: and, when she saw that she had 4. As for me, behold, my covenant is with conceived, her mistress was despised in her thee, and thou shalt be a father of many eyes.
|| nations. 5. And Sarai said unto Abram, My || 5. Neither shall thy name any more be wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid I called Abram; but thy name shall be Abra
was this land, from the river of that spake unto men, .
ham: for a father of many nations have I fexceedingly: twelve princes shall he beget; made thee.
and I will make him a great nation. 6. And I will make thee exceeding 21. But my covenant will l establish with fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at and kings shall come out of thee.
this set time in the next year. 7. And I will establish my covenant be- || 22. And he left off talking with him, and tween me and thee, and thy seed after thee, || God went up from Abraham.
in their generations, for an everlasting cove- 23. | And Abraham took Ishmael his son, i nant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy and all that were born in his house, and all seed after thee.
that were bought with his money, every 8. And I will give unto thee, and to thy male among the men of Abraham's bouse, seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an ever- in the self-same day, as God had said unto lasting possession; and I will be their God. him.
9. T And God said unto Abraham, Thou || 24. And Abraham was ninety years old shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and and nine, when he was circumcised in the thy seed after thee, in their generations. flesh of bis foreskin.
10. This is my covenant, which ye shall 25. And Ishmael his son was thirteen keep, between me and you, and thy seed 1 years old when he was circumcised in the after thee; every man-child among you flesh of his foreskin. shall be circumcised.
26. In the self-same day was Abraham 11. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of circumcised, and Ishmael his son. your foreskin; and it shall be a token of | 27. And all the men of his house, born the covenant betwixt me and you.
in the house, and bought with money of the 12. And he that is eight days old shall be stranger, were circumcised with him. circumcised among you, every man-child in
CHAP. XVIII. vour generations; he that is born in the 1 Abrahan entertaineth three angels. 17 The destruction house, or bought with money of any stran
of Sodom is revealed to Abraham. ger, which is not of thy seed.
1. AND the LORD appeared unto him in 13. He that is born in thy house, and Al the plains of Mamre: and he sat in he that is bought with thy money, must the tent-door in the heat of the day: .. needs be circumcised : and my covenant 2. And he lift up his eyes, and looked, shall be in your flesh for an everlasting and, lo, three men stood by him: and when covenant.
he saw them, he ran to meet them from 14. And the uncircumcised man-child, the tent-door, and bowed himself toward whose flesh of his foreskin is not circum- the ground, cised, that soul shall be cut off from his 3. And said, My Lord, if now I have people; he hath broken my covenant. found favour in thy sight, pass not away,
15. TAnd God said unto Abraham, As for I pray thee, from thy servant : Sarai thy wise, thou shalt not call her name 4. Let a little water, I pray you, be Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. | fetched, and wash your feet, and rest your
16. And I will bless her, and give thee selves under the tree: a son also of her, yea, I will bless her, and 5. And I will fetch a morsel of bread, she shall be a mother of nations; kings of and comfort ye your hearts; after that you people shall be of her.
shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to 17. Then Abraham fell upon his face, your servant. And they said, So do as and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall thou hast said. a child be born unto him that is a hun- 6. And Abraham hastened into the tent dred years old? and shall Sarah, that is unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly ninety years old, bear?
three measures of fine meal, knead it, and 18. And Abraham said unto God, Oh make cakes upon the hearth. that Ishmael might live before thee!
7. And Abraham ran unto the herd, and 19. And God said, Sarah thy wife shall fetched a calf tender and good, and gave it bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call unto a young man; and he hasted to his name Isaac: and I will establish my dress it. covenant with him for an everlasting co- 8. And he took butter and milk, and the Fenant, and with his seed after him. calf which he had dressed, and set it before
20. And as for Ishmael, I have heard them; and he stood by them under the tree, thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will and they did eat. . make him fruitfal, and will multiply him. 9. And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife ? And he said, Behold, in || Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then the tent.
| I will spare all the place for their sakes. 10. And he said, I will certainly return 27. And Abraham answered and said, unto thee according to the time of lífe; and, | | Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak ·lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes :
Sarah heard it in the tent-door, which was 28. Peradventure there shall lack five of behind him.
the fifty righteous : wilt thou destroy all the 11. Now Abraham and Sarah were old, city for lack of five ? And he said, 'If I find and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be there forty and five, I will not destroy it. with Sarah after the manner of women. 29. And he spake unto him yet again,
12. Therefore Sarah laughed within her- and said, Peradventure there shall be forty self, saying, After I am waxed old shall 1 || found there. And he said, I will not do it have pleasure, my lord being old also ? for forty's sake. .
13. And the LORD said unto Abraham, || 30. And he said unto him, O let not the Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I ||Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradof a surety bear a child which am old ? || venture there shall thirty be found there.
14. Is any thing too hard for the LORD? || And he said, I will not do it, if I find At the time appointed I will return unto thirty there. thee according to the time of life, and Sarah | 31. And he said, Behold now, I have shall have a son.
taken upon me to speak unto the Lord : 15. Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed Peradventure there shall be twenty found not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; there. And he said, I will not destroy it but thou didst laugh.
for twenty's sake. 16. | And the men rose up from thence, || 32. And he said, O let not the Lord be and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham angry, and I will speak yet but this once: went with them to bring them on the way. ||Peradventure ten shall be found there. And
17. And the LORD said, Shall I hide | he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. from Abraham that thing which I do ;
33. And the LORD went his way, as 18. Seeing that Abraham shall surely be- soon as he had left communing with Abracome a great and mighty nation, and all the ham:and Abraham returned unto his place. nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
CHAP. XIX. 19. For I know him, that he will command | 1 Lot entertaineth two angels. 4 The vicious Sodomites
are stricken with blindness. 24 Sodom and Gomorrah his children and his household after him, mis Children and Ms nousenoid arter mm, || are destroyed. 26 Lot's wife is made a pillar of salt. and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to 31 The incestuous origin of Moab and Ammon. do justice and judgment; that the LORD 1. AND there came two angels to Sodom may bring upon Abraham that which he at even; and Lot sat in the gate of hath spoken of him.
Sodom: and Lot, seeing them, rose up to 20. And the LORD said, Because the cry meet them; and he bowed himself with his of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and be- || face toward the ground; cause their sin is very grievous;
2. And he said, Behold now, my lords, 21. I will go down now, and see whether turn in, I pray you, into your servant's they have done altogether according to the house, and tarry all night, and wash your cry of it, which is come unto me; and if | feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on not, I will know.
your ways. And they said, Nay, but we 22. And the men turned their faces from I will abide in the street all night. thence, and went toward Sodom: but | 3. And he pressed upon them greatly; Abraham stood yet before the LORD. and they turned in unto him, and entered
23. And Abraham drew near, and said, || into his house; and he made them a Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and wicked ?
they did eat. 24. Peradventure there be fifty righteous 4. But before they lay down, the men of within the city: wilt thou also destroy and the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed not spare the place for the fifty righteous | the house round, both old and young, all the that are therein ?
people from every quarter: 25. That be far from thee to do after this I 5. And they called unto Lot, and said manner, to slay the righteous with the unto him, Where are the men which came wicked; and that the righteous should be in to thee this night? Bring them out unto as the wicked, that be far from thee. Shall us, that we may know them. not the Judge of all the earth do right? 6. And Lot went out at the door unto
26. And the LORD said, If I find in them, and shut the door after him.