« PreviousContinue »
and sent to Balaam, and to the princes that || seven altars, and offered a bullock and a were with him.
ram on every altar. 41. And it came to pass on the morrow, 15. And he said unto Balak, Stand here that Balak took Balaam, and brought him by thy burnt-offering, while I meet the up into the high places of Baal, that thence | LORD yonder. he might see the utmost part of the people. 16. And the LORD met Balaam, and CHAP. XXIII.
put a word in his mouth, and said, Go again 1, 13, 28 Balak's sacrifice. 7, 18 Balaam's parable. unto Balak, and say thus. 1. AND Balaam said unto Balak, Build 17. And when he came to him, behold,
A me bere seven altars, and prepare me he stood by his burnt-offering, and the princes here seven oxen and seven rams..
of Moab with him. And Balak said unto 2. And Balak did as Balaam had spoken; him, What hath the LORD spoken? and Balak and Balaam offered on every 18. And he took up his parable, and said, altar a bullock and a ram.
Rise up, Balak, and hear; hearken unto 3. And Balaam said unto Balak, Stand me, thou son of Zippor: by thy burnt-offering, and I will go; perad- 19. God is not a man, that he should venture the LORD will come to meet me : | lie; neither the son of man, that he should and whatsoever he showeth me I will tell repent: hath he said, and shall he not do thee. And he went to a high place. it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not
4. And God met Balaam : and he said make it good ? unto him, 1 have prepared seven altars, and 20. Behold, I have received commandment
and a ram.
reverse it. 5. And the LORD put a word in Balaam's 21. He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, mouth, and said, Return unto Balak, and neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel : thus thou shalt speak.
the Lord his God is with him, and the 6. And he returned unto him; and lo, he shout of a king is among them. stood by his burnt-sacrifice, he, and all the 22. God brought them out of Egypt: he princes of Moab. .
hath as it were the strength of a unicorn. 7. And he took up his parable, and said, 23. Surely there is no enchantment Balak the king of Moab hath brought me against Jacob, neither is there any divinafrom Aram, out of the mountains of the tion against Israel: according to this time east, saying, Come, curse me Jacob, and it shall be said of Jacob and of Israel, come, defy Israel.
| What hath God wrought! 8. How shall I curse, whom God hath 24. Behold, the people shall rise up as a not cursed ? or how shall I defy, whom the great lion, and lift up himself as a young LORD hath not defied ?
lion: he shall not lie down until he eat of 9. For from the top of the rocks I see the prey, and drink the blood of the slain. him, and from the hills I behold him : lo, the 25. And Balak said unto Balaam, Neipeople shall dwell alone, and shall not be ther curse them at all, nor bless them at all. reckoned among the nations.
26. But Balaam answered and said unto 10. Who can count the dust of Jacob, Balak, Told not I thee, saying, All that and the number of the fourth part of Israel? the LORD speaketh, that I must do ? Let me die the death of the righteous, and 27. And Balak said unto Balaam, Come, let my last end be like his !
I pray thee, I will bring thee unto another 11. And Balak said unto Balaam, What place: peradventure it will please God that hast thou done unto me? I took thee to thou mayest curse me them from thence. curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast 28. And Balak brought Balaam unto the blessed them altogether.
top of Peor, that looketh toward Jeshimon. 12. And he answered and said, Must I 29. And Balaam said unto Balak, Build not take heed to speak that which theme here seven altars, and prepare me here LORD hath put in my mouth?
seven bullocks and seven rams. 13. And Balak said unto him, Come, I 30. And Balak did as Balaam had said, pray thee, with me unto another place, from and offered a bullock and a ram on every whence thou mayest see them: thou shalt | altar. see but the utmost part of them, and shalt
CHAP. XXIV. not see them all; and curse me them from || 1 Balaam prophesieth the happiness of Israel : 15 He prothence.
phesieth the star of Jacob. 14. And he brought him into the field of 1. AND when Balaam saw that it pleasZophim, to the top of Pisgah, and built | A ed the LORD to bless Israel, he went
12. Ca them alemies, anne? I too
man wle hath said. W the visionut having his | rem20. And
not, as at other times, to seek for enchant-|| High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, ments, but he set his face toward the wil. || falling into a trance, but having his eyes open: derness.
17. I shall see him, but not now; I shall 2. And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he behold him, but not nigh: there shall come saw Israel abiding in his tents according to a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise their tribes; and the Spirit of God came out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of upon him.
Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth. 3. And he took up his parable, and said, | 18. And Edom shall be a possession, Seir Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the also shall be a possession for his enemies; man whose eyes are open hath said; and Israel shall do valiantly.
4. He hath said, which heard the words 19. Out of Jacob shall come he that shall of God, which saw the vision of the Al-|| have dominion, and shall destroy him that mighty, falling into a trance, but having his remaineth of the city. eyes open:
5. How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, took up his parable, and said, Amalek was and thy tabernacles, O Israel !
the first of the nations; but his latter end 6. As the valleys are they spread forth, || shall be, that he perish for ever. as gardens by the river's side, as the trees 21. And he looked on the Kenites, and of lign-aloes which the Lord hath planted, took up his parable, and said, Strong is thy and as cedar-trees beside the waters. dwelling-place, and thou puttest thy nest in
7. He shall pour the water out of his || a rock. buckets, and his seed shall be in many wa- 22. Nevertheless the Kenite shall be wastters, and his king shall be higher than Agag, ed, until Ashur shall carry thee away captive. and his kingdom shall be exalted.
23. And he took up his parable, and said, 8. God brought him forth out of Egypt ;| Alas, who shall live when God doeth this ! he hath as it were the strength of a uni- || 24. And ships shall come from the coast of corn: he shall eat up the nations his ene- Chittim, and shall afflict Ashur, and shall mies, and shall break their bones, and pierce afflict Eber, and he also shall perish for ever. them through with his arrows.
25. And Balaam rose up, and went and 9. He couched, he lay down as a lion, returned to his place: and Balak also went and as a great lion: who shall stir him up? || his way. Blessed is he that blesseth thee, and cursed
CHAP. XXV. is he that curseth thee.
6 Phinehas killeth Zimri and Cozbi. 10 God therefore · 10. And Balak's anger was kindled against
giveth him an everlasting priesthood. Balaam, and he smote his hands together : 11. AND Israel abode in Shittim, and the and Balak said unto Balaam, I called thee All people began to commit whoredom to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou with the daughters of Moab. hast altogether blessed them these three 2. And they called the people unto the times.
sacrifices of their gods: and the people did 11. Therefore now flee thou to thy place: eat, and bowed down to their gods. I thought to promote thee unto great honour; 3. And Israel joined himself unto Baalbut, lo, the LORD hath kept thee back from peor : and the anger of the LORD was kinhonour.
| dled against Israel. 12. And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake 4. And the LORD said unto Moses, Take I not also to thy messengers which thou all the heads of the people, and hang them sentest unto me, saying,
up before the Lord against the sun, that the 13. If Balak would give me his house full | fierce anger of the LORD may be turned of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the away from Israel. commandment of the Lord, to do either 5. And Moses said unto the judges of Isgood or bad of mine own mind; but what rael, Slay ye every one his men that were the LORD saith, that will I speak?
joined unto Baal-peor. 14. And now, behold, I go unto my peo 6. T And, behold, one of the children of Isple: come therefore, and I will advertiserael came, and brought unto his brethren a thee what this people shall do to thy people | Midianitish woman, in the sight of Moses, in the latter days.
and in the sight of all the congregation of the 15. And he took up his parable, and said, children of Israel, who were weeping before Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the the door of the tabernacle of the congregaman whose eyes are open hath said ; tion.
16. He hath said, which heard the words 7. And when Phinehas the son of Eleaof God, and knew the knowledge of the Most || zar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and children of Reuben; Hanoch, of whom took a javelin in his hand;
cometh the family of the Hanochites: of 8. And he went after the man of Israel Pallu, the family of the Palluites: into the tent, and thrust both of them through, 6. Of Hezron, the family of the Hezthe man of Israel, and the woman through ronites: of Carmi, the family of the Carher belly. So the plague was stayed from | mites. the children of Israel.
7. These are the families of the Reuben9. And those that died in the plague ites: and they that were numbered of them were twenty and four thousand.
were forty and three thousand and seven 10. 1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, || hundred and thirty. saying,
8. And the sons of Pallu ; Eliab. 11. Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son 9. And the sons of Eliab; Nemuel, and of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath Dathan, and Abiram. This is that Dathan away from the children of Israel, (while he and Abiram which were famous in the conwas zealous for my sake among them,) that gregation, who strove against Moses and I consumed not the children of Israel in my against Aaron in the company of Korah, jealousy.
when they strove against the LORD: 12. Wherefore, say, Behold, I give unto 10. And the earth opened her mouth, and him my covenant of peace:
swallowed them up together with Korah, 13. And he shall have it, and his seed af- when that company died, what time the fire ter him, even the covenant of an everlasting devoured two hundred and fifty men: and priesthood; because he was zealous for his they became a sign. God, and made an atonement for the chil- 11. Notwithstanding, the children of dren of Israel.
Korah died not. 14. Now the name of the Israelite that 12. The sons of Simeon after their famiwas slain, even that was slain with the lies: of Nemuel, the family of the NemuelMidianitish woman, was Zimri the son of ites: of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites : Salu, a prince of a 'chief house among the of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites: Simeonites.
13. Of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites: 15. And the name of the Midianitish of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites. woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daugh- 14. These are the families of the Sime. ter of Zuir, he was head over a people, and onites, twenty and two thousand and two of a chief house in Midian.
hundred. 16. | And the LORD spake unto Moses, |. 15. The children of Gad, after their fasaying,
milies: of Zephon, the family of the Zephon17. Vex the Midianites, and smite them;|ites: of Haggi, the family of the Haggites:
18. For they vex you with their wiles, of Shuni, the family of the Shunites : wherewith they have beguiled you, in the 16. Of Ozni, the family of the Oznites: matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, I of Eri, the family of the Erites : the daughter of a prince of Midian, their 17. OC Arod, the family of the Arodites: sister, which was slain in the day of the of Areli, the family of the-Arelites. plague, for Peor's sake.
18. These are the families of the children CHAP. XXVI.
of Gad, according to those that were numThe sum of all Israel is taken in the plains of Moab. I | bered of them, forty thousand and five hun1. AND it came to pass, after the plague, |dred.
A that the LORD spake unto Moses, 19. The sons of Judah were Er and Onan : and unto Eleazar the son of Aaron the | and Er and Onan died in the land of Capriest, saying,
naan. 2. Take the sum of all the congregation | 20. And the sons of Judah after their faof the children of Israel, from twenty years | milies were; of Shelah, the family of the Sheold and upward, throughout their father's lanites: of Pharez, the family of the Phahouse, all that are able to go to war in Israel. rezites:of Zerah, the family of the Zarlites :
3. And Moses and Eleazar the priest 21. And the sons of Pharez were ; of spake with them in the plains of Moab, by Hezron, the family of the Hezronites: of Jordan near Jericho, saying,
|| Hamul, the family of the Hamulites.. 4. Take the sum of the people, from twenty 22. These are the families of Judah acyears old and upward ; as the LORD com-l cording to those that were numbered of manded Moses, and the children of Israel, them, threescore and sixteen thousand and which went forth out of the land of Egypt. || five hundred.
5. Reuben, the eldest son of Israel: the ll 23. Of the sons of Issachar after their families: of Tola, the family of the Tolaites: 1 41. These are the sons of Benjamin, of Pua, the family of the Punites: | after their families: and they that were
24. Of Jashub, the family of the Jashub-numbered of them were forty and five thouites: of Shimron, the family of the Shim- | sand and six hundred. runites.
42. These are the sons of Dan, after 25. These are the families of Issachar their families: of Shuham, the family of according to those that were numbered of the Shuhamites. These are the families of them, threescore and four thousand and Dan, after their families. three hundred.
43. All the families of the Shuhamites, 2. Of the sons of Zebulun after their according to those that were numbered of families: of Sered, the family of the Sar-them, were threescore and four thousand dites: of Elon, the family of the Elonites : 1 and four hundred. of Jahleel, the family of the Jahleelites. | 44. Of the children of Asher, after their
27. These are the families of the Zebu- families: of Jimna, the family of the Jimlunites, according to those that were num- nites: of Jesui, the family of the Jesuites : bered of them, threescore thousand and five of Beriah, the family of the Berütes. hundred.
45. Of the sons of Beriah:-of Heber, 28. The sons of Joseph, after their fa- the family of the Heberites: of Malchiel, milies, were Manasseh and Ephraim. the family of the Malchielites.
29. Of the sons of Manasseh : of Machir, 46. And the name of the daughter of the family of the Machirites; and Machir Asher was Sarah. begat Gilead: of Gilead come the family of 47. These are the families of the sons of the Gileadites.
| Asher, according to those that were num30. These are the sons of Gilead: of bered of them, who were fifty and three Jeezer, the family of the Jeezerites: of thousand and four hundred. Helek the family of the Helekites:
48. Of the sons of Naphtali, after their 31. And of Asriel, the family of the families: of Jahzeel, the family of the JahAsnelites : and of Shechem, the family of zeelites: of Guni, the family of the Gunites. the Shechemites:
49. Of Jezer, the family of the Jezerites: 32. And of Shemida, the family of the of Shillem, the family of the Shillemites. Sbemidaites: and of Hepher the family of 50. These are the families of Naphtali, the Hepherites.
according to their families: and they that 33. And Zelophehad the son of Hepher were numbered of them were forty and five had no sons, but daughters: and the names thousand and four hundred. of the daughters of Zelophehad were Mahlah, | .51. These were the numbered of the and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. children of Israel, six hundred thousand
34. These are the families of Manasseh, | and a thousand seven hundred and thirty. and those that were numbered of them, fifty 52. 1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, and two thousand and seven hundred. saying,
35. These are the sons of Ephraim after 53. Unto these the land shall be divided their families : of Shuthelah, the family of the for an inheritance, according to the number Shuthalites: of Becher, the family of the Bach- of names. ntes: of Tahan, the family of the Tahanites. | 54. To many thou shalt give the more
35. And these are the sons of Shuthelah: inheritance, and to few thou shalt give the of Eran, the family of the Eranites. less inheritance: to every one shall bis in
37. These are the families of the sons heritance be given according to those that of Ephraim, according to those that were were numbered of him. Dumbered of them, thirty and two thousand 55. Notwithstanding the land shall be and five hundred. These are the sons of divided by lot: according to the names of Joseph after their families.
the tribes of their fathers they shall inherit. 38. The sons of Benjamin after their 56. According to the lot shall the possesfamilies : of Bela, the family of the Belaites: sion thereof be divided between many and of Ashbel, the family of the Ashbelites: of few. Ahiram, the family of the Ahiramites: 57. | And these are they that were num
39. Of Shupham, the family of the Shu- bered of the Levites, after their families: phamites: of Hupham, the family of the of Gershon, the family of the Gershonites: Huphamites.
of Kohath, the family of the Kohathites : 40. And the sons of Bela were Ard and of Merari, the family of the Merarites. Naaman : of Ard, the family of the Ardites: 58. These are the families of the Levites : and of Naaman, the family of the Naamites: ll the family of the Libnites, the family of
the Hebronites, the family of the Mahlites, || brethren; and thou shalt cause the inheritthe family of the Mushites, the family of the ance of their father to pass unto them. Korathites: and Kohath begat Amram. 8. And thou shalt speak unto the children
59. And the name of Amram's wife was of Israel, saying, If a man die, and have no Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, whom her son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to mother bare to Levi in Egypt: and she pass unto his daughter. bare unto Amram, Aaron, and Moses, and 9. And if he have no daughter, then ye Miriam their sister.
| shall give his inheritance unto his brethren. 60. And unto Aaron was born Nadab, || 10. And if he have no brethren, then ye and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar. || shall give his inheritance unto his father's
61. And Nadab and Abihu died, when brethren. they offered strange fire before the LORD. 11. And if his father have no brethren,
62. And those that were numbered of them then ye shall give his inheritance unto his were twenty and three thousand, all males, kinsman that is next to him of his family, from a month old and upward : for they | and he shall possess it: and it shall be unto were not numbered among the children of the children of Israel a statute of judgment; Israel, because there was no inheritance as the LORD commanded Moses. given them among the children of Israel. 12. And the LORD said unto Moses, Get
63. I These are they that were numbered thee up into this mount Abarim, and see the by Moses and Eleazar the priest, who num- || | land which I have given unto the children bered the children of Israel in the plains of of Israel. Moab, by Jordan near Jericho.
13. And when thou hast seen it thou also 64. But among these there was not a shalt be gathered unto thy people, as Aaron man of them whom Moses and Aaron the thy brother was gathered. priest numbered, when they numbered the 14. For ye rebelled against my commandchildren of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai : | ment in the desert of Zin, in the strife of the
65. For the Lord had said of them, They congregation, to sanctify me at the water shall surely die in the wilderness. And there | before their eyes : that is the water of Meriwas not left a man of them, save Caleb the bah in Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin. son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun. 15. And Moses spake unto the LORD, CHAP. XXVII.
saying, 6 The law of inheritance. 12 Moses being told of his death,
16. Let the LORD, the God of the spirits sueth for a successor.
of all flesh, set a man over the congrega1. THEN came the daughters of Zelo- tion,
1 phehad, the son of Hepher, the son 17. Which may go out before them, and of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of which may go in before them, and which Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the may lead them out, and which may bring son of Joseph: and these are the names them in ; that the congregation of the LORD of his daughters ; Mahlah, Noah, and Hog be not as sheep which have no shepherd. lah, and Milcah, and Tirzah.
18. And the Lord said unto Moses, Take 2. And they stood before Moses, and be thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom fore Eleazar the priest, and before the princes || is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him; and all the congregation, by the door of the 19. And set him before Eleazar the priest, tabernacle of the congregation, saying, and before all the congregation: and give
3. Our father died in the wilderness, and him a charge in their sight. he was not in the company of them that || 20. And thou shalt put some of thine hogathered themselves together against the nour upon him, that all the congregation of LORD in the company of Korah; but died in the children of Israel may be obedient. his own sin, and had no sons.
21. And he shall stand before Eleazar the 4. Why should the name of our father be | priest, who shall ask counsel for him, after done away from among his family, because the judgment of Urim before the LORD : at ho hath no son? Give unto us, therefore, a his word shall they go out, and at his word possession among the brethren of our father. they shall come in, both he, and all the chil
5. And Moses brought their cause before dren of Israel with him, even all the conthe LORD.
gregation. 6. And the LORD spake unto Moses, 22. And Moses did as the LORD comsaying,
manded him: and he took Joshua, and set 7. The daughters of Zelophehad speak || him before Eleazar the priest, and before right: thou shalt surely give them a posses- | all the congregation. sion of an inheritance among their father's 23. And he laid his hands upon him, and