« PreviousContinue »
as one man, then the nations which have || they shall know the land which ye have heard the fame of thee will speak, saying, despised.
16. Because the LORD was not able to 32. But as for you, your carcasses, they bring this people into the land which he shall fall in this wilderness. sware unto them, therefore he hath slain || 33. And your children shall wander in them in the wilderness.
the wilderness forty years, and bear your 17. And now, I beseech thee, let the whoredoms, until your carcasses be wasted power of my Lord be great, according as in the wilderness. thou hast spoken, saying,
34. After the number of the days in 18. The LORD is long-suffering, and of which ye searched the land, even forty great mercy, forgiving iniquity and trans- || days, each day for a year, shall ye bear gression, and by no means clearing the your iniquities, even forty years; and ye guilty ; visiting the iniquity of the fathers shall know my breach of promise : upon the children unto the third and fourth 35. I the Lord have said, I will surely generation.
| do it unto all this evil congregation, that 19. Pardon, I beseech thee, the iniquity || are gathered together against me; in this of this people, according unto the greatness wilderness they shall be consumed, and of thy mercy, and as thou hast forgiven this there they shall die. people from Egypt even until now.
36. And the men which Moses sent to 20. And the LORD. said, I have par search the land, who returned, and made doned, according to thy word:
all the congregation to murmur against him, 21. But as truly,as I live, all the earth | by bringing up a slander upon the land, shall be filled with the glory of the LORD. 37. Even those men, that did bring up the
22. Because all those men which have evil report upon the land, died by the plague seen my glory, and my miracles which I || before the Lord. did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have 38. But Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb tempted me now these ten times, and have the son of Jephunneh, which were of the men not hearkened to my voice;
that went to search the land, lived still. 23. Surely they shall not see the land 39. | And Moses told these sayings unto which I sware unto their fathers, neither all the children of Israel: and the people shall any of them that provoked me see it: mourned greatly
24. But my servant Caleb, because he had 40. And they rose up early in the mornanother spirit with him, and bath followed ing, and gat them up into the top of the me fully, him will I bring into the land mountain, saying, Lo, we be here, and will whereinto he went; and his seed shall pos go up unto the place which the LORD hath sess it.
promised: for we have sinned. 25. (Now the Amalekites and the Ca 41. And Moses said, Wherefore now do naanites dwelt in the valley.) Tomorrow you transgress the commandment of the turn you, and get you into the wilderness LORD? but it shall not prosper. by the way of the Red Sea.
42. Go not up, for the LORD is not 26. | And the LORD spake unto Moses, among you; that ye be not smitten before and unto Aaron, saying,
your enemies. . 27. How long shall I bear with this evil 43. For the Amalekites and the Canaancongregation, which murmur against me? Iites are there before you, and ye shall fall have heard the murmurings of the children | by the sword: because ye are turned away of Israel, which they murmur against me. | from the LORD, therefore the LORD will
28. Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith not be with you. the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, 44. But they presumed to go up unto the so will I do to you:
hill-top: nevertheless the ark of the covenant 29. Your carcasses shall fall in this wilder- || of the LORD, and Moses, departed not out ness; and all that were numbered of you, il of the camp. according to your whole number, from twen-| 45. Then the Amalekites came down. ty years old and upward, which have mur- and the Canaanites which dwelt in that mured against me,
|| hill, and smote them, and discomfited them, 30. Doubtless ye shall not come into the || even unto Hormah. land concerning which I sware to make you
CHAP. XV. dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Je-l The law of the meat-offering, and the drink-offering. phunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun. || 1. AND the LORD spake unto Moses,
31. But your little ones, which ye said saying, should be a prey, them will I bring in, and 2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and
say unto them, When ye be come into the || of the bread of the land, ye shall offer up land of your habitations, which I give unto a heave-offering unto the LORD. you,
20. Ye shall offer up a cake of the first 3. And will make an offering by fire unto of your dough for a heave-offering: as ye the LORD, a burnt-offering, or a sacrifice in do the heave-offering of the thresbing-floor, performing a vow, or in a free-will-offering, so shall ye heave it. or in your solemn feasts, to make a sweet 21. Of the first of your dough ye shall sarour unto the LORD, of the herd, or of the give unto the LORD a heave-offering in flock;
your generations. 4. Then shall he that offereth his offering 22. And if ye have erred, and not obunto the LORD bring a meat-offering of a served all these commandments which the tenth-deal of flour, mingled with the fourth Lord hath spoken unto Moses, part of a hin of oil.
23. Even all that the LORD hath com5. And the fourth part of a hin of wine manded you by the hand of Moses, from the for a drink-offering shalt thou prepare, with day that the Lord commanded Moses, and the burnt-offering or sacrifice, for one lamb. henceforward among your generations;
6. Or for a ram, thou shalt prepare for a 24. Then it shall be, if aught be commeat-offering two tenth-deals of flour min mitted by ignorance, without the knowledge gled with the third part of a hin of oil. of the congregation, that all the congre
7. And for a drink-offering thou shalt gation shall offer one young bullock for a offer the third part of a hin of wine, for a burnt-offering, for a sweet savour unto the sweet savour unto the LORD.
LORD, with his meat-offering, and his drink8. And when thou preparest a bullock offering, according to the manner, and one for a burnt-offering, or for a sacrifice in | kid of the goats for a sin-offering. performing a vow, or peace-offerings unto | 25. And the priest shall make an atonethe LORD;
ment for all the congregation of the chil9. Then shall he bring with a bullock a dren of Israel, and it shall be forgiven them; meat-offering of three tenth-deals of flour for it is ignorance: and they shall bring mingled with half a hin of oil.
their offering, a sacrifice made by fire unto 10. And thou shalt bring for a drink-offer- the Lord, and their sin-offering before the ing half a hin of wine, for an offering made Lord, for their ignorance: by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD. 26. And it shall be forgiven all the con
11. Thus shall it be done for one bullock, gregation of the children of Israel, and the or for one ram, or for a lamb, or a kid. stranger that sojourneth among them; seeing
12. According to the number that ye all the people were in ignorance. shall prepare, so shall ye do to every one, 27. And if any soul sin through ignorance, according to their number.
then he shall bring a she-goat of the first 13. All that are born of the country shall year for a sin-offering. do these things after this manner, in offering 28. And the priest shall make an atonean offering made by fire of a sweet savour ment for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, unto the LORD.
when he sinneth by ignorance before the 14. And if a stranger sojourn with you, Lord, to make an atonement for him; and or whosoever be among you in your genera it shall be forgiven him. tions, and will offer an offering made by 29. You shall have one law for him that fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD; as sinneth through ignorance, both for him that ye do, so he shall do.
15. One ordinance shall be both for you the stranger that sojourneth among them. of the congregation, and also for the stran 30. But the soul that doeth aught preger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance sumptuously, whether he be born in the land, for ever in your generations: as ye are so or a stranger, the same reproacheth the shall the stranger be before the Lord. LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from
16. One law and one manner shall be for among his people.. you, and for the stranger that sojourneth . 31. Because he hath despised the word
of the LORD, and hath broken his com17. I And the LORD spake unto Moses, mandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off;
his iniquity shall be upon him. 18. Speak unto the children of Israel, and V 32. | And while the children of Israel were say unto them, When ye come into the land in the wilderness, they found a man that whither I bring you;
gathered sticks upon the sabbath-day. 19. Then it shall be, that when ye eat 33. And they that found him gathering
sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, ll 7. And put fire therein, and put incense and unto all the congregation:
in them before the LORD to-morrow: and 34. And they put him in ward, because it shall be, that the man whom the LORD it was not declared what should be done doth choose, he shall be holy : ye take too to him.
much upon you, ye sons of Levi. 35. And the LORD said unto Moses, The 8. And Moses said unto Korah, Hear, man shall be surely put to death: all the I pray you, ye sons of Levi: congregation shall stone him with stones 9. Seemeth it but a small thing unto you, without the camp.
that the God of Israel hath separated you 36. And all the congregation brought him from the congregation of Israel, to bring without the camp, and stoned him with you near to himself, to do the service of the stones, and he died; as the LORD com tabernacle of the LORD, and to stand before manded Moses.
the congregation, to minister unto them? 37. | And the LORD spake unto Moses, 10. And he hath brought thee near to him, saying,
and all thy brethren the sons of Levi with 38. Speak unto the children of Israel, and thee: and seek ye the priesthood also? bid them that they make them fringes in 11. For which cause both thou and all the borders of their garments, throughout thy company are gathered together against their generations, and that they put upon the the LORD: and what is Aaron, that ye murfringe of the borders a riband of blue: mur against him?
39. And it shall be unto you for a fringe, 12. And Moses sent to call Dathan and that ye may look upon it, and remember | Abiram, the sons of Eliab; which said, all the commandments of the LORD, and We will not come up. do them; and that ye seek not after your 13. Is it a small thing that thou hast own heart, and your own eyes, after which brought us up out of a land that floweth ye use to go a whoring:
with milk and honey, to kill us in the wil40. That ye may remember, and do allderness, except thou make thyself altogether my commandments, and be holy unto your a prince over us? God.
14. Moreover, thou hast not brought us 41. I am the LORD your God, which into a land that floweth with milk and brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be honey, or given us inheritance of fields and your God: I am the LORD your God. vineyards: wilt thou put out the eyes of CHAP. XVI.
these men ? we will not come up. The rebellion of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram.
15. And Moses was very wroth, and said TOW Korah the son of Izhar, the son unto the LORD, Respect not thou their offer
of Kohath, the son of Levi; and ing: I have not taken one ass from them, Dathan and Abiram the sons of Eljab, and neither have I hurt one of them. On the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took 16. And Moses said unto Korah, Be thou men :
and all thy company before the LORD, thou, 2. And they rose up before Moses, with and they, and Aaron, to-morrow: certain of the children of Israel, two hun- 17. And take every man his censer, and dred and fifty princes of the assembly, put incense in them, and bring ye before famous in the congregation, men of renown: the LORD, every man his censer, two hun
3. And they gathered themselves together dred and fifty censers; thou also, and Aaron, against Moses and against Aaron, and said each of you his censer. unto them, Ye take too much upon you, 18. And they took every man his censer, seeing all the congregation are holy, every and put fire in them, and laid incense thereone of them, and the LORD is among them : on, and stood in the door of the tabernacle wherefore then lift you up yourselves above of the congregation with Moses and Aaron. the congregation of the LORD?
19. And Korah gathered all the con4. And when Moses heard it, he fell gregation against them, unto the door of the upon his face:
tabernacle of the congregation: and the 5. And he spake unto Korah, and unto all glory of the LORD appeared unto all the his company, saying, Even to-morrow the congregation. LORD will show who are his, and who is | 20. And the LORD spake unto Moses, holy; and will cause him to come near un- and unto Aaron, saying, to him: even him whom he hath chosen 21. Separate yourselves from among this will he cause to come near unto him. congregation, that I may consume them
6. This do: Take you censers, Korah,|| in a moment. and all his company;
22. And they fell upon their faces, and
had offees, wherewithe priest took the
said, O God, the God of the spirits of all || their own souls, let them make them broad flesh, sball one man sin, and wilt thou beplates for a covering of the altar; for they wroth with all the congregation?
offered them before the LORD, therefore they 23. And the LORD spake unto Moses, are hallowed: and they shall be a sign unto saying,
the children of Israel. 24. Speak unto the congregation, saying, 39. And Eleazar the priest took the braGet you up from about the tabernacle of zen censers, wherewith they that were burnt : Korah, Dathan, and Abiram.
had offered; and they were made broad 25. And Moses rose up, and went unto plates for a covering of the altar; Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Is- 40. To be a memorial unto the children of rael followed him.
Israel, that no stranger, which is not of the 26. And he spake unto the congregation, seed of Aaron, come near to offer incense saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents | before the LORD; that he be not as Korah, of these wicked men, and touch nothing of and as his company : as the LORD said to theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their | him by the hand of Moses.
41. | But, on the morrow, all the congre27. So they gat up from the tabernacle | gation of the children of Israel murmured of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every against Moses and against Aaron, saying, side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, Ye have killed the people of the Lord. and stood in the door of their tents, and 42. And it came to pass, when the congretheir wives, and their sons, and their little gation was gathered against Moses and
against Aaron, that they looked toward the 28. And Moses said, Hereby ye shall tabernacle of the congregation : and, beknow that the LORD hath sent me to do all || hold, the cloud covered it, and the glory of these works ; for I have not done them of the Lord appeared. mine own mind.
43. And Moses and Aaron came before 29. If these men die the common death the tabernacle of the congregation. of all men, or if they be visited aster the |44. 1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Visitation of all men; then the LORD hath saying, not sent me:
45. Get you up from among this congre30. But if the LORD make a new thing, I gation, that I may consume them as in a and the earth open her mouth, and swallow | moment. And they fell upon their faces. them up, with all that appertain unto them, 46. And Moses said unto Aaron, Take and they go down quick into the pit; then a censer, and put fire therein from off the Fe shall understand that these men have altar, and put on incense, and go quickly provoked the LORD.
unto the congregation, and make an atone31. And it came to pass, as he had made ment for them: for there is wrath gone out an end of speaking all these words, that the from the LORD; the plague is begun. ground clave asunder that was under them: 47. And Aaron took, as Moses com
32, And the earth opened her mouth, and manded, and ran into the midst of the conswallowed them up, and their houses, and gregation ; and, behold, the plague was beall the men that appertained unto Korah, gun among the people: and he put on incense, and all their goods.
and made an atonement for the people. 33. They, and all that appertained to 48. And he stood between the dead and them, went down alive into the pit, and the the living; and the plague was stayed.
rth closed upon them: and they perished 49. Now they that died in the plague from among the congregation.
were fourteen thousand and seven hundred, 34. And all Israel that were round about besides them that died about the matter them fled at the cry of them : for they said, || of Korah. Lest the earth swallow us up also.
50. And Aaron returned unto Moses, un35. And there came out à fire from the l to the door of the tabernacle of the congreLORD, and consumed the two hundred and gation : and the plague was stayed. fifty men that offered incense.
CHAP. XVII. . 1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, | Aaron's rod among all the rods of the tribes only flourisheth.
1. AND the LORD spake unto Moses, 37. Speak unto Eleazar the son of Aaron A saying, the priest, that he take up the censers out | 2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and
ule burning, and scatter thou the fire ll take of every one of them a rod, according yonder; for they are hallowed.
to the house of their fathers, of all their ne censers of these sinners against | princes according to the house of their fa
thers, twelve rods: write thou every man's | the charge of all the tabernacle: only they name upon his rod.
shall not come nigh the vessels of the sanc3. And thou shalt write Aaron's nametuary and the altar, that neither they nor upon the rod of Levi: for one rod shall be for you also die. the head of the house of their fathers.
4. And they shall be joined unto thee, 4. And thou shalt lay them up in the ta- || and keep the charge of the tabernacle of bernacle of the congregation, before the the congregation, for all the service of the testimony, where I will meet with you. tabernacle: and a stranger shall not come
5. And it shall come to pass that the || nigh unto you. man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blos- 5. And ye shall keep the charge of the som: and I will make to cease from me the sanctuary, and the charge of the altar; that murmurings of the children of Israel, where- |there be no wrath any more upon the chilby they murmur against you.
dren of Israel. 6. And Moses spake unto the children 6. And I, behold I, have taken your breof Israel; and every one of their princes thren the Levites from among the children gave him a rod apiece, for each prince of Israel; to you they are given as a gift for one, according to their fathers' houses, even || the LORD, to do the service of the tabernacle twelve rods : and the rod of Aaron was ll of the congregation. among their rods.
7. Therefore thou and thy sons with thee 7. And Moses laid up the rods before shall keep your priest's office for every thing the LORD in the tabernacle of witness. of the altar, and within the vail ; and ye shall
8. And it came to pass, that, on the mor serve: I have given your priest's office unto row, Moses went into the tabernacle of you as a service of gilt: and the stranger witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron, for |that cometh nigh shall be put to death. the house of Levi, was budded, and brought 8. And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Beforth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and hold, I also have given thee the charge of my yielded almonds.
heave-offerings of all the hallowed things of 9. And Moses brought out all the rods the children of Israel ; unto thee have 1 from before the LORD unto all the children | given them, by reason of the anointing, and of Israel: and they looked, and took every to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever. man his rod.
| 9. This shall be thine of the most holy 10. And the LORD said unto Moses, bring things, reserved from the fire: Every oblaAaron's rod again before the testimony, to tion of theirs, every meat-offering of theirs, be kept for a token against the rebels; and and every sin-offering of theirs, and every thou shalt quite take away their murmur trespass-offering of theirs, which they shall ings from me, that they die not.
render unto me, shall be most holy for thee 11, And Moses did so: as the LORD com- and for thy sons. manded him, so did he.
10. In the most holy place shalt thou eat 12. And the children of Israel spake unto it; every male shall eat it: it shall b Moses, saying, Behold, we die, we perish, unto thee. we all perish.
11. And this is thine: the heave-offering 13. Whosoever cometh any thing near || of their gist, with all the wave-offerings of unto the tabernacle of the LORD shall die: the children of Israel: I have given them shall we be consumed with dying? unto thee, and to thy sons, and to thy CHAP. XVIII.
daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: 1 The charge of the priests and Levites. 8 The priest's || every one that is clean in thy house shall
portion. 21 The Levites' portion. 1. AND the LORD said unto Aaron, 12. All the best of the oil, and all the
A Thou, and thy sons, and thy father's best of the wine, and of the wheat, the firsthouse with thee, shall bear the iniquity of | fruits of them, which they shall offer unto the sanctuary: and thou and thy sons with || the LORD, them have I given thee. thee shall bear the iniquity of your priest- 13. And whatsoever is first ripe in the hood.
land, which they shall bring unto the LORD, 2. And thy brethren also of the tribe of shall be thine : every one that is clean in Levi, the tribe of thy father, bring thou with thy house shall eat of it. thee, that they may be joined unto thee, 14. Every thing devoted in Israel shall and minister unto thee: but thou and thy || be thine. sons with thee shall minister before the 15. Every thing that openeth the matrix tabernacle of witness.
in all flesh, which they bring unto the LORD, 3. And they shall keep thy charge, and II whether it be of men or beasts, shall be