« PreviousContinue »
may be redeemed, and they shall go out in || rich by thee, and thy brother that dwelleth the jubilee.
| by him wax poor, and sell himself unto the 32. Notwithstanding, the cities of the Lestranger or sojourner by thee, or to the stock vites, and the houses of the cities of their pos of the stranger's family: session, may the Levites redeem at any time. | 48. After that he is sold he may be re
33. And if a man purchase of the Levites, deemed again ; one of his brethren may rethen the house that was sold, and the city deem him: of his possession, shall go out in the year of 49. Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, jubilee : for the houses of the cities of the may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin Levites are their possession among the unto him of his family may redeem bim ; children of Israel.
or, if he be able, he may redeem himself. 34. But the field of the suburbs of their 50. And he shall reckon with him that cities may not be sold; for it is their per-| bought him from the year that he was sold petual possession.
to him unto the year of jubilee: and the 35. And if thy brother be waxen poor, and price of his sale shall be according unto the fallen in decay with thee, then thou shalt number of years; according to the time of a relieve him; yea, though he be a stranger, or hired servant shall it be with him. . a sojourner; that he may live with thee.. 51. If there be yet many years behind,
36. Take thou no usury of him, or in- according unto them he shall give again the crease: but fear thy God; that thy brother price of his redemption out of the money may live with thee.
that he was bought for. 37. Thou shalt not give him thy money! 52. And if there remain but few years unto upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for the year of jubilee, then he shall count with increase.
him, and according unto his years shall he 38. I am the LORD your God, which give him again the price of his redemption. brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, l. 53. And as a yearly hired servant shall to give you the land of Canaan, and to be he be with him: and the other shall not rule your God.
with rigour over him in thy sight. 39. And if thy brother that dwelleth by 54. And if he be not redeemed in these thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee, years, then be shall go out in the year of thou shalt not compel him to serve as a jubilee, both be, and his children with him. bond-servant:
55. For unto me the children of Israel 40. But as a hired servant, and as a so- are servants; they are my servants, whom journer, he shall be with thee, and shall I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: serve thee unto the year of jubilee:
I am the LORD your God. 41. And then shall he depart from thee,
CHAP. XXVI. both he and his children with him, and shall | 1 of idolatry. 3 A blessing to them that keep the comreturn unto his own family, and unto the mandments. 14 A curse lo those that break them. possession of his fathers shall he return. 1. VE shall make you no idols nor graven
42. For they are my servants, which I image, neither rear you up a standbrought forth out of the land of Egypt: they | ing image, neither shall ye set up any image shall not be sold as bondmen.
of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: 43. Thou shalt not rule over him with || for I am the Lord your God. rigour, but shalt fear thy God.
2. Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reve44. Both thy bondmen, and thy bond rence my sanctuary: I am the LORD. maids, which thou shalt have, shall be of 3. If ye walk in my statutes, and keep the heathen that are round about you; of my commandments, and do them; them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. | 4. Then I will give you rain in due season,
45. Moreover, of the children of the stran- and the land shall yield her increase, and gers that do sojourn among you, of them shall the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. ye buy, and of their families that are with 5. And your threshing shall reach unto you, which they begat in your land : and the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto they shall be your possession.
the sowing.time; and ye shall eat your bread 46. And ye shall take them as an inhe-to the full, and dwell in your land safely. ritance for your children after you, to inhe- | 6. And I will give peace in the land, rit them for a possession; they shall be your and ye shall lie down, and none shall make bondmen for ever: but over your brethren, you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one the land, neither shall the sword go through over another with rigour.
your land. 47. And if a sojourner or stranger wax | 7. And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. || that shall avenge the quarrel of my cove
8. And five of you shall chase a hundred, || nant: and, when ye are gathered together and a hundred of you shall put ten thou- | within your cities, I will send the pesulence sand to flight: and your enemies shall fall | among you; and ye shall be delivered into before you by the sword.
the hand of the enemy. 9. For I will have respect unto you, and 26. And when I have broken the staff make you fruitful, and multiply you, and of your bread, ten women shall bake your establish my covenant with you.
bread in one oven, and they shall deliver 10. And ye shall eat old store, and bring you your bread again by weight: and ye forth the old because of the new.
shall eat, and not be satisfied. 11. And I will set my tabernacle among 27. And if ye will not for all this hearken you: and my soul shall not abhor you. unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
12. And I will walk among you, and will 23. Then I will walk contrary unto you be your God, and ye shall be my people. also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you
13. I am the LORD your God, which seven times for your sins. brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, || | 29. And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, that ye should not be their bondmen; and | and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
made you go upright.
and cut down your images, and cast your 14. But if ye will not hearken unto me, carcasses upon the carcasses of your idols, and will not do all these commandments; and my soul shall abhor you.
15. And if ye shall despise my statutes, 31. And I will make your cities waste, and or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I
that ye break my covenant:
32. And I will bring the land into deso16. I also will do this unto you; 1 will || lation; and your enemies which dwell thereeven appoint over you terror, consumption, in shall be astonished at it. and the burning ague, that shall consume 33. And I will scatter you among the the eves, and cause sorrow of heart: and heathen, and will draw out a sword after ve shall sow your seed in vain, for your you; and your land shall be desolate, and enemies shall eat it.
your cities waste. 17. And I will set my face against you,l.34. Then shall the land enjoy her saband ve shall be slain before your enemies: || baths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be they that hate you shall reign over you; and in your enemies' land; even then shall the ye shall flee when none pursueth you. || land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.
18. And if ye will not yet for all this 35. As long as it lieth desolate it shall hearken unto me, then I will punish you rest; because it did not rest in your sabseven times more for your sins.
baths, when ye dwelt upon it. 19. And I will break the pride of your il 36. And upon them that are left alive of power; and I will make your heaven as you I will send a faintness into their hearts iron, and your earth as brass.
in the lands of their enemies; and the sound 20. And your strength shall be spent in of a shaken leaf shall chase them; and they vain: for your land shall not yield her in- shall flee, as fleeing from a sword; and they crease, neither shall the trees of the land | shall fall when none pursueth. yield their fruits.
37. And they shall fall one upon another, 21. And if ye walk contrary unto me, as it were before a sword, when none purand will not hearken unto me; I will bring | sueth: and ye shall have no power to stand seven times more plagues upon you, accord- | before your enemies.. ing to your sins.
38. And ye shall perish among the heathen, 22. I will also send wild beasts among you, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up. which shall rob you of your children, and de- 39. And they that are left of you shall stroy your cattle, and make you few in num-pine away in their iniquity in your enemies' ber; and your high-ways shall be desolate. || lands; and also in the iniquities of their
23. And if ye will not be reformed by || fathers shall they pine away with them. me by these things, but will walk contrary | 40. If they shall confess their iniquity, and unto me;
|| the iniquity of their fathers, with their tres24. Then will I also walk contrary unto pass which they trespassed against me, and vou, and will punish you yet seven times that also they have walked contrary unto me, for your sins.
41. And that I also have walked contrary 25. And I will bring a sword upon you, I unto them, and have brought them into the
land of their enemies; if then their uncir- || priest, and the priest shall value him; accumcised hearts he humbled, and they then cording to his ability that vowed shall the accept of the punishment of their iniquity ; || priest value him. :
42. Then will I remember my covenant | 9. And if it be a beast, whereof men bring with Jacob, and also my covenant with an offering unto the LORD, all that any mun Isaac, and also my covenant with Abra giveth of such unto the LORD shall be holy. ham will I remember; and I will remem- | 10. He shall not alter it, nor chang ber the land.
good for a bad, or a bad for a good : and 43. The land also shall be left of them, || if he shall at all change beast for beast, then and shall enjoy her sabbaths, while she it and the exchange thereof shall be holy. lieth desolate without them: and they shall 11. And if it be any unclean beast, of accept of the punishment of their iniquity ; || which they do not offer a sacrifice unto the because, even because they despised my LORD, then he shall present the beast bejudgments, and because their soul abhorred | fore the priest : my statutes.
12. And the priest shall value it, whether 44. And yet for all that, when they be in || it be good or bad: as thou valuest it, who art the land of their enemies, I will not cast the priest, so shall it be. them away, neither will l abhor them, to L 13. But if he will at all redeem it, then destroy them utterly, and to break my co-|| he shall add a fifth part thereof unto thy venant with them : for I am the LORD their estimation. God.
14. And when a man shall sanctify his 45. But I will for their sakes remember house to be holy unto the Lord, then the the covenant of their ancestors, whom I || priest shall estimate it, whether it be good brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the or bad: as the priest shall estimate it, so sight of the heathen, that I might be their || shall it stand. God: I am the LORD.
15. And if he that sanctified it will re46. These are the statutes and judgments deem his house, then he shall add the fifth and laws which the LORD made between part of the money of thy estimation unto him and the children of Israel in mount it, and it shall be his. Sinai, by the hand of Moses.
| 16. And if a man shall sanctify unto the CHAP. XXVII.
LORD some part of a field of his possession, 2 He that maketh a singular vow must be the Lord's. then thy estimation shall be according to 1. AND the LORD spake unto Moses, || the seed thereof: a homer of barley seed A saying,
shall be valued at fifty shekels of silver. 2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and 17. If he sanctify his field from the year say unto them, When a man shall make a of jubilee, according to thy estimation it singular vow, the persons shall be for the shall stand. LORD by thy estimation.
18. But if he sanctify his field after the 3. And thy estimation shall be, of the male || jubilee, then the priest shall reckon unto from twenty years old even unto sixty years | him the money according to the years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty she that remain, even unto the year of the kels of silver, after the shekel of the sanc jubilee, and it shall be abated from thy estuary.
timation. 4. And if it be a female, then thy esti 19. And if he that sanctified the field will mation shall be thirty shekels.
in any wise redeem it, then he shall add 5. And if it be from five years old even the fifth part of the money of thy estimation unto twenty years old, then thy estimation unto it, and it shall be assured to him. shall be of the male twenty shekels, and 20. And if he will not redeem the field, for the female ten shekels.
or if he have sold the field to another man, 6. And if it be from a month old even it shall not be redeemed any more; unto five years old, then thy estimation shall | 21. But the field, when it goeth out in the be of the male five shekels of silver, and jubilee, shall be holy unto the LORD, as a for the female thy estimation shall be three field devoted; the possession thereof shall shekels of silver.
be the priest's. 7. And if it be from sixty years old and 22. And if a man sanctisy unto the LORD above; if it be a male, then thy estimation a field which he hath bought, which is not shall be fifteen shekels, and for the female of the fields of his possession; ten shekels.
23. Then the priest shall reckon unto him 8. But if he be poorer than thy estimation, the worth of thy estimation, even unto the then he shall present himself before the l year of the jubilee: and he shall give thine
estimation in that day, as a holy thing unto || voted thing is most holy unto the LORD. the LORD.
29. None devoted, which shall be devoted 24. In the year of the jubilee the field of men, shall be redeemed; but shall surely shall return unto him of whom it was bought, be put to death. even to him to whom the possession of the 30. And all the tithe of the land, whether land du belong.
of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of 25. And all thy estimations shall be ac- the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto cording to the shekel of the sanctuary : the LORD. twenty gerahs shall be the shekel.
31. And if a man will at all redeem 26. Only the firstling of the beasts, which | aught of his tithes, he shall add thereto the should be the Lord's firstling, no man shall | fifth part thereof. sanctify it; whether it be ox or sheep ; it is 32. And concerning the tithe of the herd, the LORD'S.
or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth 27. And if it be of an unclean beast, then | under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto he shall redeem it according to thine esti- || the LORD. mation, and shall add a hfth part of it 33. He shall not search whether it be thereto : or is it be not redeemed, then it good or bad, neither shall he change it: and shall be sold according to thy estimation. if he change it at all, then both it and the
28. Notwithstanding, no devoted thing change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be that a man shall devote unto the LORD | redeemed. of all that he hath, both of man and 34. These are the commandments which beast, and of the field of his possession, the LORD commanded Moses for the chil shall be sold or redeemed : every de- || dren of Israel, in mount Sinai.
1 The FOURTH Book of Moses, called NUMBERS.
1 13. Of Asher; Pagiel the son of Ocran.. I God commandeth Moses to number the people. 14. Of Gad; Eliasaph the son of Deuel. 1, A ND the LORD spake unto Moses in 15. Of Naphtali; Ahira the son of Enan.
A the wilderness of Sinai, in the ta- || 16. These were the renowned of the conbernacle of the congregation, on the first day gregation, princes of the tribes of their faof the second month, in the second year after thers, heads of thousands in Israel. they were come out of the land of Egypt, 17. And Moses and Aaron took these saying,
men which are expressed by their names : 2. Take ye the sum of all the congregation 18. And they assembled all the congregaof the children of Israel, after their families, tion together on the first day of the second by the house of their fathers, with the nun- | month, and they declared their pedigrees ber of their names, every male by their poll; after their families, by the house of their
3. From twenty years old and upward, fathers, according to the number of the all that are able to go forth to war in Israel : names, from twenty years old and upward, thou and Aaron shall number them by by their polls. their armies.
19. As the LORD commanded Moses, so 4. And with you there shall be a man he numbered them in the wilderness of Sinai. of every tribe; every one head of the house. 20. And the children of Reuben, Israel's of his fathers.
eldest son, by their generations, after their 5. And these are the names of the men families, by the house of their fathers, acthat shall stand with you : Of the tribe of cording to the number of the names, by their Reuben ; Elizur the son of Shedeur. polls, every male from twenty years old
6. Of Simeon ; Shelumiel the son of Zu and upward, all that were able to go forth rshaddai.
to war; 7. Of Judah; Nahshon the son of Am- 21. Those that were numbered of them, mipadab.
even of the tribe of Reuben, were forty and 8. Of Issachar; Nethaneel the son of Zuar. six thousand and five hundred. 9. Of Zebulun; Eliab the son of Helon. | 22. Of the children of Simeon, by their
10. Of the children of Joseph: of Ephraim, generations, after their families, by the house Elishama the son of Ammihud : of Manas of their fathers, those that were numbered seh, Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur. . of them, according to the number of the
11. Of Benjamin ; Abidan the son of Gi names, by their polls, every male froin deoni.
twenty years old and upward, all that were 12. Of Dan; Ahiezer the son of Ammi- || able to go forth to war; shaddai.
1 23. Those that were numbered of them
even of the tribe of Simeon, were fifty and || nerations, after their families, by the house nine thousand and three hundred.
of their fathers, according to the number of 24. Of the children of Gad, by their ge the names, from twenty years old and upnerations, aster their families, by the house ward, all that were able to go forth to war ; of their fathers, according to the number | 39. Those that were numbered of them, of the names, from twenty years old and up- even of the tribe of Dan, were threescore ward, all that were able to go forth to war;|| and two thousand and seven hundred.
25. Those that were numbered of them, | 40. Of the children of Asher, by their geeven of the tribe of Gad, were forty and five || nerations, after their families, by the house thousand six hundred and fifty.
of their fathers, according to the number of 26. Of the children of Judah, by their the names, from twenty years old and upgenerations, after their families, by the house | ward, all that were able to go forth to war; of their fathers, according to the number of 141. Those that were numbered of them, the names, from twenty years old and up- | even of the tribe of Asher, were forty and ward, all that were able to go forth to war;|| one thousand and five hundred.
27. Those that were numbered of them, || 42. Of the children of Naphtali, throughout even of the tribe of Judah, were threescore their generations, after their families, by the and fourteen thousand and six hundred. I | house of their fathers, according to the num
28. Of the children of Issachar, by their ber of the names, from twenty years old and generations, after their families, by the house | upward, all that were able to go forth to war; of their fathers, according to the number 43. Those that were numbered of them, of the names, from twenty years old and up-|| even of the tribe of Naphtali, were fifty and ward, all that were able to go forth to war; three thousand and four hundred.
29. Those that were numbered of them, 144. These are those that were numbereven of the tribe of Issachar, were fifty and ed, which Moses and Aaron numbered, 'four thousand and four hundred.
and the princes of Israel, being twelve men: 30. Of the children of Zebulun, by their each one was for the house of his fathers. generations, after their families, by the house | 45. So were all those that were numbered of their fathers, according to the number of of the children of Israel, by the house of their the names, from twenty years old and up- || fathers, from twenty years old and upward, ward, all that were able to go forth to war; || all that were able to go forth to war in Israel;
31. Those that were numbered of them, | 46. Even all they that were numbered even of the tribe of Zebulun, were fifty and were six hundred thousand and three thouseven thousand and four hundred.
sand and five hundred and fifty. 32. Of the children of Joseph, namely, of || 47. But the Levites after the tribe of their the children of Ephraim, by their genera- fathers were not numbered among them. tions, after their families, by the house of | 48. For the Lord had spoken unto Motheir fathers, according to the number of | ses, saying, the names, from twenty years old and up-| 49. Only thou shalt not number the tribe ward, all that were able to go forth to war; of Levi, neither take the sum of them
33. Those that were numbered of them, ll among the children of Israel: even of the tribe of Ephraim, were forty thou- 1 50. But thou shalt appoint the Levites sand and five hundred.
over the tabernacle of testimony, and over 34. Of the children of Manasseh, by their | all the vessels thereof, and over all things generations, after their families, by the house that belong to it: they shall bear the taberof their fathers, according to the number of nacle, and all the vessels thereof; and they the names, from twenty years old and up- / shall minister unto it, and shall encamp ward, all that were able to go forth to war; round about the tabernacle.
35. Those that were numbered of them, 51. And when the tabernacle setteth foreven of the tribe of Manasseh, were thirty i ward, the Levites shall take it down: and and two thousand and two hundred. I when the tabernacle is to be pitched, the
36. Of the children of Benjamin, by their Levites shall set it up: and the stranger that generations, after their families, by the house cometh nigh shall be put to death. of their fathers, according to the number of 52. And the children of Israel shall pitch the names, from twenty years old and up- their tents, every man by his own camp, ward, all that were able to go forth to war; and every man by his own standard, through
37. Those that were numbered of them, out their hosts. even of the tribe of Benjamin, were thirty 53. But the Levites shall pitch round about and five thousand and four hundred. the tabernacle of testimony, that there be
38. Of the children of Dan, by their ge- || no wrath upon the congregation of the chil