« PreviousContinue »
EXAMINATION PAPERS PROPOSED AT
ST. MARK'S COLLEGE, CHELSEA.
1. The passage of the Israelites ove Jordan, and the commencement of the captivity.
2. The revolt of the ten tribes, and the edict of Antiochus Ephiphanes. 3. The baptism of our Lord, and the death of Herod Agrippa.
Section 2. What events are associated, historically, with the following places ?
1. Of Judea in the time of our Lord.
2. Of the countries traversed by the Israelites in their journey from Egypt to the Promised Land.
3. Of the countries between Jerusalem and Rome, illustrative of the travels of St. Paul.
Section 4. 1. State, shortly, what is recorded of the deluge.
2. “When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works” (Ps. xcv. 9). To what events does this passage refer ?
3. Mention some of the allusions made in the New Testament to facts related in the Pentateuch ?
Section 5. Describe1. The sacrifices of the great day of atonement. 2. The daily morning and evening sacrifices.
3. The feast of the passover, as observed in the time of our Lord; and compare it with the gospel narrative of the last supper.
Section 6. 1. In what words did our Lord explain the parable of the sower?
2. Enumerate, in their chronological order, the principal events connected with our Lord's journies from Jerusalem to Capernaum.
3. Collect from the different Evangelists the gospel narrative of the events recorded between our Lord's agony in the garden and his resurrection.
Section 7. 1. What prophecies having reference to the Messiah are to be found in the Pentateuch ?
2. What propliecies have reference to the Messiah in his office as a Prophet, Priest, and King ?
3. What did our Lord prophecy as the signs which should precede the destruction of Jerusalem ?
4. Give passages from the Old Testament in which the Messiah is spoken of under the character of a Shepherd.
3. Sanctification. And state the doctrine of the Church thereon, according to the tenor of her articles.
1. The testimony of Pliny, the younger, to the prevalence of Christianity.
2. The persecution of M. Antoninus.
Section 2. 1. What account is given by heathen writers of the persecutions to which the early Christians were subjected ?
2. What testimony do heathen writers bear to the morality of the early Christians ? 3. Give some account of the persecution of Diocletian.
Section 3. 1. Mention some of the names applied to the early Christians by themselves and by their enemies.
2. Into what classes were Christians divided in the Primitive Church.
3. What different orders of the ministry are spoken of in the New Testament, and what were those of the Primitive Church?
Section 4. 1. Enumerate the apostolic fathers, and give some account of ne of them, and of his writings.
2. State some particulars as to the apologies of the early churches.
3. What was Gnosticism? What were the principal divisions of the sect of the Gnostics ?
Section 5. 1. Under what circumstances did Constantine succeed to the empire ?
2. What were the ecçleciastical divisions of the empire in his time, and what power did he assume in the administration of the affairs of the Church ?
3. Give some account of the controversy in respect to image worship
Section 6. 1. What testimony is borne to the existence of an early British Church?
2. State, shortly, under what circumstances the conversion of the Anglo-Saxons was effected.
3. What abuses had their origin in the pontificate of Gregory VII., and under what circumstances ?
Section 7. 1. What were the dioceses of the Anglo-Saxon Church? Where did the clergy at first reside, and were preach? Under what cir
cumstances did the payment of tithe originate ; and how was it appropriated ?
2. How did churches first come to be erected? What was the origin of the division of parishes; and what is the origin of lay patronage ?
Section 8. 1. In what points is the assimilation of Paganism and Popery apparent ?
2. Give some account of the martyr, Bilney.
3. By whom were the bishops off the English church originally nominated ? In whose reign did the pope obtain this power? By what king was it resumed? By whom was the statute of premunire enacted, and with what objects : In what respects does it still remain in force ?
Section 9. 1. Write out the Tenth Article, and give the Scriptural proofs.
2. Write out the Seventh Article, paraphrase it, state to what heresy it is opposed, and explain the last sentence in the first clause.
GREEK TESTAMENT. TranslateΚαι επηρώτων* αυτόν οι όχλοι λέγοντες· τί ουν ποιήσωμεν*; αποκριθείς* δε έλεγεν αυτοις ο έχων δύο χιτώνας μεταδύτων τη μη έχοντι, και ο έχων βρωματα ομοίως ποιείτω" ήλθον* δε και τελώναι βαπτισθήναι και ειπου προς αυτόν: Διδάσκαλε, τί ποιήσωμεν ; ο δε ειπεν προς αυτούς μηδέν πλέον παρά το διατεταγμένον* υμίν πράσσετε επηρώτων δε αυτόν και στρατεύομενοι λέγοντες· τί ποιήσωμεν και ημεις ; και ειπεν αυτόις μηδένα διασεισητε* μηδέ συκοφαντήσητε, και άρκείσθε τοις όψωνίοις υμών:
Parse the verbs marked , and explain the formation of the
Trace the roots and explain the meaning of τελώναι, συκοφαντειν, όψωνια.
Make a list of English words derived from words occurring in
Translate the sentence ήλθον δε και τελώναι, &c., into Latin.
In what war are the soldiers here mentioned supposed to have been engaged ?
“Οι δε όχλοι γνόντες ήκολουθησαν αντά και δεξάμενος αυτους, ελάλει αυτούς περί της βασιλείας του θεού, και τους χρέιαν έχοντας θεραπείας ιάτο Η δε ημέρα ήρξατο κλίνειν προσελθόντες δε οι δώδεκα ειπον αυτώ, 'Απόλυσον τον όχλον, ίνα απελθόντες εις τας κύκλο κώμας και τους αγρους καταλύσωσι, και έυρωσιν επισιτισμόν ότι ώδε εν ερήμω τόπω εσμέν ειπε δε προς αυτούς, Δότε αυτοις υμείς φαγειν· οι δε έιπον, Ουκ εισίν ημίν πλειον ή πέντε άρτοι και δύο ιχθύες, ει μήτι πορευθέντες ημέις αγοράσωμεν εις πάντα του λαον τούτον βρώματα ήσαν γάρ ώσει άνδρες πεντακισχίλιοι· ειπε δε προς τους μαθητάς αυτού, κατακλίνατε αντους κλισίας ανά πεντήκοντα και εποίησαν όυτω, και ανέκλιναν άπαντας λαβών δε τους πέντε άρτους και τους δύο ιχθύας, αναβλέψας εις τον ουρανόν, ευλόγησεν αυτούς, και κατέκλασε, και εδίδου τοις μαθητάις παρατιθέναι το όχλώ και έφαγον και έχορτάσθησαν πάντες και ήρθη το περισσεύσαν αυτοίς κλασμάτων κόφινοι δώδεκα.
Show the different uses of the aorist and imperfect tenses in Greek.
Explain the force of ανά, and supply the allipse before κλισιας.
What accounts of this and a similar miracle are given by the other evangelists ?
Εν δε τω λαλήσαι, ήρώτα αυτόν φαρισάιός τις όπως αριστήση παρ' αυτώ εισελθών δε ανέπεσεν ο δε φαρισάιος ιδών εθαύμασεν ότι ου πρώτον εβαπτίσθη προ του αρίστου είπε δε ο κύριος προς αυτόν, Νύν υμείς οι φαρισαιοι το έξωθεν του ποτηρίων και του πίνακος καθαρίζετε το δε έσωθεν υμών γέμει αρπαγής και πονηρίας άφρονες, ουχ ο ποιήσας το έξωθεν, και το έσωθεν εποίησε; πλήν τα ενόντα δότε ελεημοσύνης και ιδου πάντα καθαρά υμίν έστιν· αλλ' όναι υμίν τοις φαρισαίοις, ότι αποδεκατόυτε το ήδύοσμον και