Page images

from those who conscientionsly entertained sentiments different from his own. Sir Charles Wale was three times married; first, in 1793, to Louisa, third daughter of the Rev. C. Sherrard, of Huntingdon; secondly, in 1803, to the third daughter of the Rev. W. Johnson, of Stockton-on-Tees; and, thirdly, in 1815, to Henrietta, daughter of the Rev. Thomas Brent, of Croscombe, co. Somerset. He has left 7 sons and 5 daughters; his eldest son was a Fellow of St. John's college, Cambridge, whence he obtained the rectory of Sunning-hill, near Windsor. His eldest daughter was married to Dr. Sherlock Willis, and his second to M. B. Ffolkes, esq. son of Sir W. B. Ffolkes, Bart. Two of his sons are following their father's profession in the Bengal Service, one in the Navy, and another at the Bar. His estimable lady survives him.


Feb. 16. At Chalk-farm, Kent, in his 80th year, General Hog Williams.

He entered the army as Ensign in the 13th Foot, the 25th Dec. 1778, and was made Lieutenant on the 16th of Feb. following. In Nov. 1780 he sailed with his regiment for Barbadoes, and arrived the 13th of January 1781. Three days after he embarked on board the Alfred man-of-war, with two companies to do duty as marines, and debarked at the taking of St. Eustatia the 3rd of the fol. lowing month. In August he embarked with the flank companies of the 13th, for Antigua ; and the 24th Jan. 1782, was sent with his corps to the relief of St. Kitt's, then attacked by a French force under the Marquis de Bouillée. It was afterwards sent on board the Montague man-of-war to do duty as marines, and there remained till March, 1782, when the 13th disembarked at Antigua. Lieut. Williams returned to England in July 1782. The 31st of May 1788, he was appointed Captain Lieutenant in his regiment; and the 5th of May 1789, obtained his company. In September of the latter year, he again embarked for Barbadoes. In March 1790, he returned to England. In Feb. 1792, he rejoined the regiment at Kingston, Jamaica, and in December came home, from ill health. On the 8th of May 1794, he succeeded to a Majority in the 13th ; the 22nd of August following was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel, by brevet; and subsequently raised the late 120th regiment. The 24th of May 1796, he was appointed Inspecting Field Officer of the Salop recruiting dis. trict, in which situation he continued un

til promoted to the rank of BrigadierGeneral. On the 1st of Jan. 1800, he received the brevet of Colonel; and on the 20th of June 1804, was appointed Brigadier-General, and to command the Shropshire brigade of yeomanry and volunteers, from which he was removed to the Staff, at Norman Cross, the 24th of June 1806. He attained the rank of Major-General the 25th of April 1808; that of Lieut.-General the 4th of June 1813, and the full rank of General the 22d of July 1830.


Jan. 20. At the Falls of Gairsoppa, in the province of Canara, aged 63, MajorGeneral Clement Hill, secondin command at that presidency under the Governor Lt.-Gen. the Marquess of Tweeddale, commanding the Mysore division of the Madras army; and an Equerry to H.R.H. the Duchess of Kent.

Major-Gen. Hill was a younger brother of the late General Lord Hill. He was born April 16, 1782, the sixth son of Sir John Hill, Bart. M. P. for Shrewsbury, by Mary, daughter and coheir of John Chambre, esq.

He entered the army as an Ensign in the Royal Horse Guards, the 22d Aug. 1805; became Lieutenant 6th March 1806; Captain, 4th April 1811; Major, 19th December of that year; Lieut.-Colonel, 30th Dec. 1813; Colonel, 21st June 1827; and Major-General, 10th Jan. 1837. This gallant officer was a Peninsular and Waterloo man. He landed in Portugal in 1808, and served throughout the campaigns that followed, as aidede-camp to his brother, Lord Hill. He served also during the campaign of 1815. He was slightly wounded at Oporto in the passage of the Douro, and slightly at the battle of Waterloo. He was unmarried.

Vice-ADMIRAL Wollaston. Feb. 19. At Bury St. Edmund's, in his 78th year, Charles Wollaston, esq. ViceAdmiral of the Blue. Adm. Wollaston was the third son of the Rev. Frederick Wollaston, LL.D. formerly Lecturer of St. James's, Bury, also Rector of Woolverstone in Suffolk, and Peakirk in Northamptonshire, a Prebendary of Peterborough, and one of H. M. Chaplains, by his second wife, Priscilla Ottley. He entered the Navy in the year 1781; was made a Lieutenant in 1790; Commander, in 1796; Captain, Jan. 1, 1801; Rear-Admiral, August 1840; and Vice-Admiral of the Blue at the last promotion in No. vember 1841. He was Midshipman of the Formidable in Rodney's actions. When Commander, he had the Cruiser of eighteen guns on the North Sea station, where he captured six French privateers, carrying in the whole 68 guns and 282 men. At the renewal of the war in 1803, he was appointed to a command in the Sea Fencible service, between Blackwater and the Stour.

LIEUT.-Colonel BATTERSBY, C.B. Dec. 18. At his residence, Listoke, Louth, Ireland, Lieut.-Colonel Francis Battersby, C.B. This officer entered the army as Ensign in the 8th Foot in 1796; was appointed Lieutenant 10th Aug. the same year; Captain, 10th April 1801; Major, 11th May 1809; and Lieut.-Colonel in the Glengary Fencibles 6th Feb. 1812. From July 1799 to Aug. 1800, he served in Kio, in Egypt from March to Nov. 1801 ; and was in the actions of the 13th and 21st March, and 12th May of that year; at the investment and surrender of Alexandria; and during a part of the period commanded his regiment. He embarked from Egypt for Malta, and from thence went to Gibraltar, where he remained until Aug. 1802, and was then placed on half-pay. In May 1803, he was restored to fullpay in the same corps—the 8th Foot. He served in the expedition of 1207 to Copenhagen. In Jan. 1808, he embarked for Nova Scotia, and in Dec. of that year, sailed from Halifax to Martinique, where he had the honour of leading the attack that carried the bridge on the morning of the 2nd Feb. 1809, and was several times warmly engaged with his company. He returned to Nova Scotia in April, and was in the same month appointed Deputy - Quartermaster-General to the Army in that province. Lieut.-Colonel Battersby was many years on the half-pay of the Glengary Fencibles. For his services he was appointed a Companion of the Bath. Edward GRove, Esq., D.C.L. March 7. At Shenstone Park, near Lichfield, in his 76th year, Edward Grove, esq., D.C.L. a Deputy Lieutenant of Staffordshire, and for many years an active magistrate for the counties of Stafford and Warwick. Mr. Grove was grandson of William Grove, esq. D.C.L. formerly M.P. for Coventry, and the eldest son of William Grove, esq. D.C.L. of Honiley, High Sheriff of Warwickshire in 1773, by Lucy, eldest daughter of Major Edward Sneyd, youngest son of Ralph Sneyd, esq. of Bishton, co, Stafford. He was uncle to

the late Lady John Russell, dowager Lady Ribblesdale, who was the daughter of Thomas Lister, esq. of Armitage Park, by Mary Grove.

Mr. Grove purchased Shenstone Park of Lord Berwick in 1797.

He was twice married : first, on the 5th July 1792, to Caroline, third daughter of the Very Rev. Baptist Proby, Dean of Lichfield, and niece to John first Lord Carysfort, by which lady, who died in 1800, he had issue two sons : 1. Edward Grove, esq. M.A. a barrister-at-law; 2. Francis Grove, esq. Commander R.N. who married, in 1825, Emily, only child of the late George Ure, esq. of the Hon. E.I.C. service, and secondly, in 1839, Mary, eldest daughter of the late William Roberts, esq. and has issue by both marriages.

The late Mr. Grove married secondly, May 9, 1809, Emilia, second surviving daughter of the late Sir Edmund Cradock Hartopp, Bart. and by that lady, who surwives him, he has left three other sons : 3. the Rev. Edward Hartopp Grove, M. A. Fellow of Brazenose college, Oxford; 4. Robert, an officer in the 90th Regiment; and 5. Edmund–Sneyd, R.N.; and two daughters, Marianne, and Matilda-Jane.

E. W. A. DRUMMOND HAY, Esq. F.S.A. March 1. In his 60th year, Edward William Auriol Drummond Hay, Esq., Consul-General in Morocco, principal clerk in the Lyon Office of Scotland, and F.S.A. Lond. and Scot. Mr. Hay was born April 4, 1785, the eldest son of the Very Rev. Edward Auriol Drummond Hay, D.D., Dean of Bocking, fifth son of the Right Rev. Robert Lord Archbishop of York, (and uncle of the present Earl of Kinnoull,) by his first wife Miss Elizabeth Devisme. In the earlier part of his life Mr. Hay held a commission in the 73rd Regiment, and served as Aide-de-camp to MajorGeneral Robertson, of Lude, who com. manded in the Eastern district. He was also at Waterloo. ln 1822 he published a dissertation on a free-stone group of a Roman sphynx discovered in the excavations for the foundation of the hospital at Colchester; a reply to which was given in our Magazine for Feb. 1822, vol. xcli. i. 107. Mr. Hay had been unwell for some time, but not to a degree that excited in his friends any apprehension of a fatal termination—a result that may not unreasonably be traced to great mental excitement and physical exertion in his negotiations for the settlement of political differences between France and the state to which he was accredited. He married Dec. 11, 1812, Louisa Margaret, only daughter of John Thomson, esq., by whom he had issue, first, Edward Hay Drummond, esq. President of Council in the Virgin Islands, who married in 1838, and has issue; 2nd, Louisa, married Nov. 26, 1838, to G. C. A. Norderling, esq.: 3rd, Thomas Robert, Lieut. 42d Royal Highlanders; 4th, Elizabeth Catharine, married, 1840, W. Greenwood Chapman, esq., of Foot's Cray hill, Kent; 5th, Theodosia, married, 1844, Mons. P. Victor Maubousson, attached to the French Consulate in Morocco.

REv. HENRY CARD, 1). D. F. R. S. In our December Magazine, p. 651, we gave a slight notice of this gentleman, together with a list of his works. Having now been favoured with a fuller and more correct sketch of his life, we have much satisfaction in presenting it to our readers. Dr. Card was born at Egham, in Surrey, on the 6th May, 1779. At the age of ten he was removed from a private school at Woodford and placed under 10r. Thompson at Kensington. Thence he went to Westminster school in 1792, and four years afterwards, having reached the sixth form, he entered at Pembroke College, Oxford, where he carried the reputation of possessing both solidity and quickness of parts. In October 1799 he took his degree of B.A., in November 1805 that of M.A., and in June 1823 that of D.D. A list of his works having appeared in the former notice, it is unnecessary here to again enumerate them, a few remarks, however, with reference to them may not be unacceptable. His first performance, when only in his 24th year, was the “History of the Revolution in Russia,” the first edition of which appeared in 1803, and was dedicated to Lord Henry Petty (the present Marquess of Lansdowne), his contemporary at Westminster. Of this work, together with that which appeared in 1804, “Historical Outlines of the Rise and Establishment of the Papal Power,” we may justly observe, that it is doubtful whether any two works, written at so early an age, show a greater degree of research, more command of language, or stronger intellectual endowments than these. “The Reign of Charlemagne,” &c. came out in 1807, and is thus spoken of in the Monthly Review: “We must allow that the performance shews its author to be a man of enlarged views and liberal sentiments,” and again, “we are beholden to him for a fair, authentic, and

well-digested account of a highly interesting period.” His “Dissertation on the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper" was considered by the late Dr. Vincent, Dean of Westminster, one of the most masterly refutations of the Hoadlyan scheme of it which had been published. The serinon on the Athanasian Creed was preached at a visitation of the Archdeacon of Worcester, at Worcester, and it has reached a fourth edition; in the review of it in the Gentleman's Magazine it was remarked, that “this discourse, like the other works of that erudite scholar, is distinguished by forcible reasoning, and ardent zeal for the truth.” The last of his works that we shall refer to is the “ Dissertation on the Antiquities of the Priory of Great Malvern,” which appeared in 1834. This book was dedicated to H. R. H. the Duchess of Kent, and was written chiefly with a view to obtain subscriptions towards the extensive repairs of the parish church which were then in progress, and it was highly successful in its object. Dr. Card was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1820; Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1821 ; and in 1839 an Honorary Member of the “Société Française de Statistique Universelle ;” he was also a Member of the Royal Society of Literature, and a Fellow of the Statistical Society. On 24th May 1803 he was ordained Deacon by Bishop North, and on 31st of same month, Priest by Bishop Fisher. His first preferment was the living of Sassey and Wolferlow, in the county of Hereford, which he received in June 1812 from the late Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. In August 1812 he was appointed Chaplain to the Dowager Viscountess Gage. In June 1815 he was presented to the vicarage of Great Malvern by E. T. Foley, esq. of Stoke Edith Park, and in June 1832, by the same patron, to the vicarage of Dormington cum Bartestree, co. Hereford. Great Malvern Church had been for many years in a most dilapidated state, but in 1812 and 1813 some repairs were made. Much, however, remained to be done, when, “in a propitious hour, the Rev. Dr. Card was inducted to the vicarage, and that gentleman immediately directed his attention to the repairs which were still requisite;"* a new subscription was then set on foot. A letter with reference to these repairs, dated 11th July, 1816, and signed “An Old Visitor to Malvern,” which appeared in our vol. J. XXXVI. ii. 35, states that Dr Card

* Neale's Account of Malvern Church, had raised above 500l. in a very short time, without causing a single levy to be made on the parish. In June 1826 Dr. Card was presented by the parishioners and visitors with two salvers, “as (according to the translation from the Latin inscription) a pledge of respect and affection well deserved alike on account of the restoration, by his zeal and care, of a most venerable edifice, whence as much honor has accrued to religion, as accommodation and advantage to the worshippers of God; on account of his clear, spirited, and eloquent exposition of the divine word ; and on account of the duties of pastor which have been most ably fulfilled by him during a space of ten years.” In 1834 considerable repairs of a substantial nature were done to the exterior of the church, and the battlements and pinnacles of the nave and porch were restored, and at the same time the accumulated soil to the depth of between two and three feet, was removed from the foundations on the north side, which were thoroughly renovated. In 1841 the remainder of the exterior, the tower excepted, was completely restored. During the time of his incumbency of Great Malvern, he raised, by his individual exertions about 3,000l. for church repairs and restorations, besides about 400l. by church rates, which, through his influence, were granted by the parish for ornamental works. Looking at all that Dr. Card has done for Great Malvern Church, we may safely affirm that his name will be handed down to posterity as one of its greatest benefactors, and, by his deeds, as there shewn in such bold characters, he has raised a monument to his memory which will endure until the edifice itself shall cease to be. He was also well qualified to discharge the duties of a minister in a place like Great Malvern, where persons of the highest rank were wont to resort during the summer season. He was much admired as a preacher as well as a reader, and possessed those qualifications of voice, manner, and impressiveness of delivery, which alike command in the pulpit and in the desk the attention of an auditory. The late Bishop Jebb, in a letter to the late Countess Harcourt, writes that he saw Malvern Church “filled by a very large and attentive congregation, and having altogether, more impressively than I have often witnessed, the appearance of what a church ought to be. * * * * My conclusion was, that such a congregation must be well taught : nor, when Dr. Card ascended the pulpit,

were my anticipations disappointed. The sermon was excellent, intelligible to all, the production of a scholar and a divine, animated throughout by a piety equally removed from austerity and compromise. It were, indeed, devoutly to be wished that our great churches in general had officiating ministers like Dr. Card.” Such was his eloquence and his ability to plead in behalf of charity, that by his first efforts in such a cause, in a sermon preached at St. John's Church, Margate, in August 1812, for the benefit of the “Sea Bathing Infirmary,” he collected 106l. 8s. 6d. the largest sum ever received on such an occasion for that institution, and this, notwithstanding all the other churches and chapels in the Isle of Thanet, were open for similar contributions on the same Sunday. At Great Malvern he raised in this manner from the year IS20 to 1840 the sum of 1,0241. Dr. Card did not for some time previous to his death enjoy good health, but he was not in such a state as to cause alarm in his family; in the spring of 1844, however, it was thought advisable that he should seek change of air, and, accordingly in April he went to Ryde, from which he derived much benefit, and after remaining there until the end of May, he left on his return home; it was on going away from this place that he met with the accident which terminated in his death. It appears that owing to some mistake he went on board the wrong steamer, and that on stepping from the boat which brought him back to the pier he missed his foot and fell into the water, and also cut the shin of his left leg; the accident, however, was thought of trifling consequence, and, on his reaching London, although it was considered advisable he should keep quiet, no apprehension was entertained, and the wound appeared to be going on well; after remaining there about three weeks he went home. Shortly after his arrival at Malvern unfavourable symptoms shewed themselves, which were soon followed by mortification, and he grew rapidly worse, when his medical attendants considered that the only chance which remained of saving his valuable life was the amputation of the leg, which operation was performed on 26th June; all that could be done was, however, of no avail, for after lingering until the 4th August he finished his earthly career. During nearly the whole of his long illness his sufferings were of the severest nature, and nothing could exceed the fortitude with which they were borne, nor the Christian spirit of resignation to the divine will which supported him through his trials. He was buried in the parish church on 12th August; the following account of the funeral appeared in the Worcester Herald :— “The remains of the late Rev. Dr. Card, Vicar of Great Malvern, were interred in the family vault in the abbey church, on Monday morning last. In conformity to the wish of the lamented deceased, the solemnity was conducted in the most private and unostentatious manner. The body was carried to the church by servants and others employed at the vicarage, and followed by Mr. Henry Card, the Rev. Mr. Pillans, Mr. Bridge of Mathon Lodge, and another gentleman, brother-in-law we understand of the deceased, as chief mourners, Mr. Addison and Mr. West, surgeons, and Messrs. Archer and Fancourt, churchwardens. The pall was borne by the Rev. A. B. Lechmere, Rector of Hanley Castle, Rev. Mr. Custins, Rector of Colwall, Rev. Mr. Romney, of Maddresfield, Rev. Mr. Philpotts, of Maddresfield, Rev. Mr. Dean, of Colwall, and Rev. Mr. Baumgarten, of Malvern. Several other clergymen of the vicinity, and others staying at present in Malvern, accompanied the sad procession, and it was closed by a long train of the parishioners of all classes.” In order to testify the affectionate regard in which his memory is held by his late parishioners, a sum of money has been raised in the parish to erect an obituary window in the church to his memory. But not only in Malvern is his character and worth held in high estimation. His diocesan, the Bishop of Worcester, alluded to him in a manner the most gratifying to his family and friends, in a sermon for the benefit of the charity schools of the parish, preached on 1st September in Great Malvern Church ; the following extract from it (kindly communicated to the writer of this sketch at his request) will be read with much interest. “With regard to them (the charity children), indeed, I cannot refrain from pressing one point upon your consideration, which I feel sure will have no little weight with those who are now lamenting the loss which this parish has sustained in the departure of their late respected minister. That voice which not many weeks since recommended the word of God by his eloquent preacinhg in this splendid edifice, restored to its present state of architectural beauty very much through his indefatigable exertions, is now indeed mute, but how often was it raised to commend the care of these children to

your liberal support. One of the most natural as well as the most amiable feelings of the human heart is to afford some tribute of respect to those in death whom we have loved and esteemed in life, and what tribute of respect can we conceive more acceptable to the spirit of him who is now the common object of our regret, than the appropriation of some portion of our superfluous wealth to the support of those institutions which were the unceasing objects of his fostering care, while still permitted to exercise his sacred functions amongst you. Whether means may be permitted to the spirits of just men made perfect in the world to come, of knowing what is passing in the scenes of their former piety and usefulness, has not indeed been revealed to us, but if such knowledge be vouchsafed to them we may safely assert that it may afford joy even in Heaven to be assured that those institutions which had been the objects of our unremitted care while on earth, have not been neglected in consequence of our removal to another world. I call then confidently upon those who respect the memory of their departed minister to place upon his grave the tokens of respect which he will most dearly value, by liberally contributing to the religious education of these his children, so that they may become the children of the kingdom, as we humbly hope like him, exchanging a life of piety on earth for one of uninterrupted happiness in the mansions of the blessed.”

Dr. Card married, first, on the 16th Sept. 1799, Mary-Anne, daughter of the late Philip Buckley, esq. of the Lawn, South Lambeth, Surrey, by whom he left no issue ; and, secondly, 6th June, 1809, Christian, second daughter of the late Joseph Fletcher, esq. of Great George Square, Liverpool, by whom, who survives him, he has left issue two sons and three daughters, namely, 1st, Henry-Benson, a senior clerk in the secretary's department of the General Post Office, London ; 2nd, Louisa-Jemima, married, 6th May, 1843, the Rev. W. H. Pillans, Rector of Himley, co. Stafford; 3rd, William John Boyle, a Lieutenant in the Navy; 4th, Mary; 5th, Frances Annabella.


Feb. 16. The Rev. William Winthrop, B.D. of Sloane-street, Chelsea.

He was one of the sons of Benjamin Winthrop, esq. a Director of the Bank of England, who died in 1809. He was formerly a Fellow of St. John's college, Cambridge, as was his elder brother,

« PreviousContinue »