Page images
[ocr errors]

M.P. for North Yorkshire; and has issue four sons and three daughters; 5. the Hon. Arthur, 6. the Hon. Alan, 7. Lady Helen, who all three died in childhood; and 8. the Hon Keith Stewart, a Lieut. R.N. born in 1814.

The remains of the Earl were interred on the 2d of April, in the New General Cemetery in the Harrow Road, attended by the present Earl and others of the family, and by fourteen carriages of in: timate friends. This is the first peer laid to rest in this new establishment; a vault and suitable monument will be built on the spot.

Right Hos. C. P. Yonke.

March 13. In Bruton-street, in his 70th year, the Right Hon. Charles Philip Yorke, a Privy Councellor, one of the Tellers of the Exchequer, F.R. S. and S. A. &c. &c.; half brother to the Earl of Hardwicke; a Vice-President of the Royal Society of Literature. Mr. Yorke was born March 12, 1764, the eldest son (the younger was the late Admiral Sir Joseph Yorke) of the Hon. Charles Yorke (who died shortly after being appointed Lord Chancelior of England), by his second wife Agneta, daughter and co-heir of Henry Johnson, of Great Berkhampstead in Hertfordshire, esq. He was educated at Cambridge, and was called to the Bar. At the general election of 1790 he was chosen for the county of Cambridge, and re-elected in 1796, 1802, 1806, and 1807. His talents from very early years raised great expectations, and his conduct in Parliament was much respected, from the manliness of his character, his integrity, and freedom from factious politics. In 1792 he moved the Address in answer to the King's Speech. In 1801 he accepted, under the Addington Administration, the place of Secretary of War, which he discharged with much industry and ability. In August, 1893, he was appointed Secretary of State for the Home Department, which oilice he held until the following May. In the } Yorke sat for the borough of Liskeard; and at the close of that period he retired from public life. He was for some years LieutenantColonel of the Cambridgeshire militia, to which command he was appointed in 1799. Mr. Yorke married, July 1, 1790, Harriot, daughter of Charles Manningham, esq., and sister to Major-General Manningham, but by that lady, who survives him, he had no issue. He was the presumptive heir to the earldom, after his

[ocr errors]

brother's death; which inheritance will now devolve on his nephew, Captain C. P. Yorke, R.N., M.P. for Cambridgeshire, the eldest son of the late Hon. Sir J. S. Yorke, K.C.B.

Rev. Sid H. TRELAwNEY, BART. Feb. 25. At Laveno, in Italy, aged 77, the Rev. Sir Henry Trelawney, the seventh Baronet, of Trelawney in Cornwall (1628). Sir Henry was the only son of Sir William Trelawney, the sixth Bart. a Capt. 1:.N. (who died when Governor of Jamaica, Dec. 11, 1772) by his coosingerman Letitia, daughter of Sir Harry Trelawney the fifth Baronet, whose mother again was a Trelawney, being Letitia, daughter of the Rt. Rev. Sir Jonathan Trelawney, the third Baronet, successively Bishop of Bristol, Exeter, and Winchester." Sir Henry was born at Bredshed in the parish of St. Budeaux, Devonshire, in June 1736; and, in 1770, shortly after his father had gone to Jamaica, was removed from the care of a worthy clergyman at Plympton, to Westminster School, where many of his ancestors had been educated. From Westminster he proceeded to Christ Church, Oxford, where he took the degree of B.A. in 1776. Shortly after, he become a convert to Methodism, and, turning preacher, was greatly followed in all parts of the West of England. He next joined the Calvinists, and was ordained by them at Poole in Dorsetshire, when a sermon was preached, which was printed with a pom". account of the proceedings. In 779 he himself published a sermon entitled “Ministers Labourers together with God.” At length, having married the daughter of a clergyman of the Establishment, he returned to the Church, took his degree of M.A., at Oxford, June 22, 1781, was ordained at Exeter, by Bishop Ross, and became an orderly parish riest in his native county. His relation ishop Buller gave him a small living in the neighbourhood of Truro, and afterwards the vicarage of Egloshayle, and also a prebendal stall in the cathedral of Exeter. He was a perfect master of the eloquence of the pulpit: and his countenance was particularly prepossessing. Wherever he preached, the multitude followed him. His friends and admirers, at that period of his popularity, used to flatter themselves, that, like his great

* The Bishop had twelve children, six of whom were sons; yet all the latter died without issue male, and the title devolved on a junior branch of the family.

grandfather Sir Jonathan Trelawney, he might, in due time, fill one of the episcopal thrones. “Remarkably abstemious,” says Mr. Polwhele in his Literary History of Cornwall, 1806, “Sir Henry never eats animal food. To these simple facts, 1 must add, that Sir Henry possesses a truly Christian spirit, affectionate, charitable, and, wherever he resides, is loved and revered.” His religious tenets, however, underwent another change. He resigned his preferments, and left England. He died in Italy, among the members of his last adopted creed, and great respect was paid by them on the occasion of his death. #is funeral was attended by all the neighbouring clergy; and a dole distributed to many hundred poor families. His daughter was with him to the last. Sir Henry Trelawney married in 1778, Mary, daughter of the Rev. James Brown, Rector of Portishead, and Vicar of Kingston, Somerset; and by that lady, who died Nov. 18, 1822, he had issue three sons and 2-daughters: 1. AnneLetitia: 2. John, who died Sept. 30, 1821; 3. Sir William Lewis Salisbury Trelawney, who has succeeded to the title, and is now M. P. for the Eastern division of Cornwall; he took the name of Salisbury in 1802, in compliance with the will of Owen Salisbury Brereton, esq. and married in 1807 Patience, daughter of John Philip Carpenter, esq. of Mount , Tavy in Devonshire; 4. Hamlin, a Major in the Royal Artillery, who has married Martha, daughter of Joseph Rogers, of the co. Cork, esq.; 5. Mary, married to John Harding, esq.; and 6. Jonathan.

SIR THoxtAs CLARGES, BART. Feb. 17. At Brighton, aged 53, Sir Thomas Clarges, the fourth Baronet (1674). Sir Thomas was the last male descendant of the family of the Duchess of Albemarle, the wife of the renowned George Monk, the restorer of King Charles the Second. It was supposed to have come to England from Hainault in the reign of Edward the Fourth; and the first Baronet was Sir Walter the nephew of the Duchess, and son of Sir George Clarges, who was a Knight-bachelor. Sir Thomas the late Baronet was the eldest son of Sir Thomas the third Baronet by Miss Skrine, and succeeded to the title when only a twelvemonth old. He had a younger brother who died in 1807. We believe neither of them was married; and the baronetcy has become extinct. One of his nearest relations was Sir Dudley St Leger Hill, the recently ap

pointed Governor of St. Lucia, to whose eldest son he has left 100l. a-year; whilst, the bulk of his fortune, consisting of landed property worth 10,000l. a-year, is bequeathed to Major Hare, who was recently attached to the embassy of Lord William Lennox at Lisbon. The Major is a distant relation of Sir Thomas.

ADMIRAL SIR R. G. KEATs, G.C.B. -4pril 3. . At Greenwich Hospital, aged 77, Sir Richard Goodwin Keats, G.C.B. Admiral of the White, Governor of Greenwich Hospital, and a Commissioner of the Board of Longitude. This gallant and distinguished officer was born at Charlton, in Hampshire, Jan. 16, 1757, the son of the Rev. Richard Keats, Rector of Bideford and King's Nympton, Devonshire, and for many years Master of Tiverton School. He entered the Navy Nov. 25, 1770, on board the Bellona, Capt. John Montagu, upon whose promotion to the rank of RearAdmiral and Commander-in-Chief on the North American station, Mr. Keats was removed into the flag-ship, the Captain, in 1771, and was afterwards actively em. Fo in smaller vessels, two of which e commanded, also in boat service, and on shore in different attacks on the American posts, till 1776, when he was removed into the Romney, the ship of RearAdm. Montagu, at Newfoundland. On the 7th of April, 1777, he was made Lieutenant into the Ramilies, commanded by Commodore Mackenzie, and afterwards by Captain Robert Digby, who led the fleet on the larboard tack in the action of the 27th of July, 1778. In 1779, Captain o the rank of Rear-Admiral, and Lieut. Keats followed him into his flag-ship, the Prince George, where Prince William Henry (his present most gracious Majesty) commenced his naval career, and in which ship Lieut. Keats had the honour of being for upwards of three years officer of the watch in which his Royal Highness was placed. In 1781 Lieutenant Keats was intrusted by Admiral Digby, on the North American station, with the command of the naval part of an expedition for the destruction of numerous formidable boats of the enemy about 14 miles up a tide river in the Jerseys, which was completely successful, and conducted with such skill and intrepidity, that he was promoted to the rank of Commander on the 18th of January, 1782, and appointed to the Rhinoceros, and afterwards to the Bonetta, till the peace of 1783. From the conclusion of the American War till 1785 he was employed on important services in America. On the 4th of June, 1789, he was, at the pressing

solicitation of the Duke of Clarence with his royal father King George III., promoted to the rank of Post-Captain, and shortly after appointed to the Southampton, and in 1790 to the Niger. In 1793 he was appointed to the London 98, destined for |. flag of the Duke of Clarence, which ship was paid off in March, 1794. He subsequently commanded the Galatea and Boadicea frigates, in both which, particularly in the latter, he was actively employed in arduous, difficult, and very imrtant services, till March, 1801, when }. was appointed to the Superb, 74. In this ship his services as Captain, Commodore, and Rear-Admiral (to which latter rank he rose in September, 1807), were very conspicuous, especially on the 12th of July, 1801, when under the command of Sir James Saumerez (now Lord de Saumarez), in the attack on the enemy's squadron, which ended in the destruction of two Spanish three-deckers, and the capture of the French 74 St. Antoine; on the 6th of February, 1806, under the command of Sir John Duckworth, in the capture, destruction, or dispersion of the French squadron off St. Domingo;" in 1807, at the blockade and siege of Copenhagen; in 1808, when he succeeded in carrying off the Spanish army under the Marquis de la Romana from Nyborg. On this last occasion His Majesty was graciously pleased to create him a Knight of the Bath. In the following year he was second in commaud in the expedition to the Scheldt; and in 1810 was ordered to Cadiz, then besieged

* Previously to this action, Capt. Keats suspended a portrait of Lord Nelson to the mizen stay, and just before the action commenced, the officers on the quarterdeck took off their hats, the band playing “God save the King.” This was succeeded by “Nelson and the Nile.” In the midst of their enthusiasm the fleet advanced in close order, the Superb still leading. On this the enemy, having cut their cables, endeavoured to escape, but the squadron succeeded in destroying one ship of 120 guns, one of 74, and in capturing one of 80, and two of 74 guns, in less than two hours : For this service he received the thanks of Parliament, and a suitable present from the Patriotic Fund. Admiral Duckworth, in his despatches, says, “I cannot be silent without injustice to the firm and manly support for which I was indebted to Capt. Keats, and the effect that the system of discipline and good order in which I found the Superb must ever produce; and the pre-eminence of British seamen could never be more highly conspicuous than in this contest.”

by the French, where his services with the squadron placed under his orders, in the general defence of the place, and serious annoyance of the enemy, by well-plannèd expeditions and other prompt measures, were duly appreciated. In July, 1811, his friend Sir Edward Pellew, (afterwards Lord Exmouth) having been appointed Commander-in-Chief in the Mediterranean, Sir Richard Keats followed him as second in command, where he remained until extreme ill-health compelled him, in October, 1812, to return to England. In February, 1813, having somewhat recovered, he was appointed to the government and command of Newfoundland, with an assurance that, if his health should be restored, more active employment should be assigned him. He struck his flag in 1816, and retired into Devonshire. In 1818 he was promoted to be Major-General of the Royal Marines, of which he had been a Colonel from the

year 1805. In 1821 he was called to the government of the Royal Hospital at Greenwich. The various regulations

brought about through his exertions, particularly for improving the system of diet and other comforts to the pensioners, will cause his name to be long and gratefully remembered in that noble asylum. He was married June 27, 1820, to Mary, eldest daughter of the late Francis Hurt, esq. of . Alderwasley, in Derbyshire, who survives him. He was a sincere Christian in his belief and practice, and both were characterized by a simplicity and singleness of heart for which he was remarkable. He was a firm and zealous friend; in all the relations of life most exemplary. His beneficence was extensive, and of that character which is rather felt than seen. His funeral took place at Greenwich, on Saturday April 12, with all the honours due to his high station in the service. At a little after three o'clock, the procession, headed by the band of the Royal Marines, formed in the great quadrangle, opposite the Governor's house; and on the coffin being brought out (borne by eight pensioners who served under Sir Richard in the Superb), a signal was hoisted from the top of the house, at which a party of artillery, stationed with field-pieces on One Tree-hill, where a flag was hoisted half-mast high, fired minute guns, which they continued regularly to discharge until the body was brought to the Chapel. The whole of the great square was lined with pensioners, and the upper quadrangle, in addition to lines of pensioners, was skirted by 100 nurses and 200 girls. The chief mourners were Sir Richard's nephews, Capt. Keats, R.N., and the Rev. Richard Keats. A regiment of marines, in single files, formed an avenue (the men leaning on their arms reversed), through which the procession passed in the following order, . 30 Boys of the Lower School. 30 Boys of the Upper School. 100 Pensioners. Crew of Governor's barge (12). Boatswains (16). Colours between the two regulating Boatswains. Drum. Fife. Wardens, two and two Men who sailed with the late Governor in the Superb, two and two. Admiral's Flag. Governor's Guard, with halberts covered

- (16 men). - Royal Marine Band. - Two lnspecting Boatswains. Visitors, composed of Admirals, &c. in their uniforms. Medical Officers, Lieutenants, Adjutants, Captains, and Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. Flag Officers. Lieutenant-Governor. Flag Officers. King's Aides-de-Camp. Lords of the Admiralty, Lord Auckland, and Rt. Hon. Sir James Graham. Chaplains, Rev. J. Taylor, Rev. Sam. Cole, i).D. and Rev. David Lloyd. The Body; the pall borne by Adm. Sir Wm. Hotham, Adm. Sir Francis Laforey, Adm. Hon. Sir. R. Stopford, Adm. Sotheron, Adm. Sir Chas. Hamilton, Adm. Sir George Martin. Mourners. Civil Officers, Sir R. Dobson, Sir W. Beatty, Dr. Domville, Dr. Gladstone. Visitors. Sixteen of the Governor's Guard. Sixteen Boatswains. Men who sailed with the late Governor in the Milford, Boadicea, Galatea, and Niger. Two Inspecting Boatswains. One Hundred Pensioners, two and two. Thirty Boys, two and two. Thirty Boys, two and two. The crowd on either side of the Marines was very dense, and the spectacle, from the appearance of the numerous Admirals, and other Naval officers, in their uniforms and decorated with the Crosses of their Orders, was truly grand. The funeral service was read by the Rev. Dr. Cole; and the funeral music, performed by the band of the Marines, was of a sublime and o pathetic character. After the service in the chapel, the body was conducted to the mausoleum in the burial ground of the Institution. Amongst

the distinguished persons present were Lord Amelius Beauclerk, Lord Radstock, Lord Adolphus Fitzclarence, Sir John Savage, Admiral Sir Charles Rowley, Hon. Capt. Seymour, Capt. Warren, &c.

WICE-ADM. PLAMPIN. Feb. 14. At Florence, aged 72, Robert Plampin, esq. Vice-Admiral of the White. Adm. Plampin was a native of Essex, where he possessed considerable pro

perty. He entered the Navy at an early

age, and served with much credit in the American war. On the commencement of hostilities with the French republic, he was appointed as Lieutenant on board the Syren, a 32-gun frigate, commanded by Capt. John Manley. In this ship the uke of York embarked for Holland; and one of the services in which Lieut. Plampin was employed, was the defence of Williamstadt, where he commanded a n-boat. On the 21st of March, 1793, in an attack on the enemy's camp on the Moordyke, his superior officer Lieut. J. Western was slain (to whom the Duke of York erected a monument in the church of Dordrecht), and Plampin took the command: the Prince of Orange, for his services on this occasion, presented him with a medal worth 500 guilders; and on his return to England he was promoted to the rank of Commander, and promoted to the Time sloop of war. In 1795 Capt. Plampin attained post rank, and was commissioned to the Ariadfie of 26 guns, from which he removed to the Lowestoffe 32. This vessel was wrecked on returning with a convoy from the West lndies Aug. 11, 1801; but, on a court-martial, her commander was acquitted of all blame. Capt. Plampin afterwards commanded the Antelope 50, and the Powerful 74. This ship was attached to the squadron of Sir J. #. Duckworth, and afterwards sent to reinforce Sir E. Pellew in the East Indies. On the 13th of June 1806 he captured a mischievous privateer called la Henriette, of 20 guns; and in the following month, off Ceylon, a still more notorious privateer, la Bellone of 34 guns, which had committed great depredations on the British commerce, and was afterwards enrolled in the Royal Navy, under the name of the Blanche. Towards the close of 1806, the Powerful was one of the squadron which accompanied Sir Edward Pellew to Batavia, where they destroyed a frigate, four brigs, of war, and several armed vessels. After this, Capt. Plampin returned to Europe on account of ill-health. He subsequently obtained the command of the 656

Courageux 74, and commanded a division of Sir R. Strachan's fleet on the expedition to Walcheren in 1809. In 1810 he commanded the Gibraltar 80, and in 1811 the Royal Sovereign, a first-rate. His next appointment was to the Ocean of 98 guns, in which he again served under Sir E. Pellew, in the Mediterranean, and he belonged to the blockading fleet off Toulon during the remainder of the war.

At the flag promotion which took place at the peace, Capt. Plampin was advanced to the rank of Rear-Admiral, and in Feb. 1817 he hoisted his flag on board the Conqueror 74, as Commander-in-chief on the St. Helena and Cape stations. This delicate commission, as one of the guardians of Napoleon, he held during the customary period of three years; during which the only disagreeable result of his duty was the necessity of dismissing, by court martial, the surgeon of his own ship, for making improper communications to the attendants of the exiled Emperor.

In 1824, Rear-Admiral Plampin succeeded Lord Colville in the Irish command at Cove; and in the following year he hoisted his flag at the fore, as ViceAdmiral of the White. The Cove was his last appointment, which he filled for three years, with high esteem. His death is lamented by a large circle of acquaintance. His remains were brought to England, and interred in Wanstead churchyard.


Feb. 9. At Edinburgh, in his 92d year, John Hamilton, esq. of Dalzell, co. Lanark, a General in the army.

Gen. Hamilton was the second son of Archibald Hamilton, of Dalzell and Rosehall, by Marion, eldest daughter of Hew Dalrymple of Drummore, a Lord of Session. He received a commission of Cornet in 1760, was appointed to the 4th dragoons 1763, Lieutenant 1768, Lieut.-Colonel in the army Feb. 1795, in the 81st regt. in December following, Colonel in the army 1794, Major-Gen. 1796, Lieut.-General 1803, and General 1813.

He succeeded to Dalzell on the death of his elder brother James, and to Orbistoun on that of his younger brother Robert. He was of a remarkably longlived family, his father having lived to be 81, his uncle 91, and three aunts 98, 83, and 94. (See Douglas's Peerage of Scotland, by Wood, vol. i. p. 203).

MAJor-GEN. SIR. G. B. Fish ER. . March 8. At the Arsenal, Woolwich, in his 70th year, Major-General Sir George Bulteel Fisher, K.C.H., Commandant of that Garrison.

[ocr errors][merged small]

Sir George was younger brother to the late Right Rev. John Fisher, Lord Bishop of Salisbury, and one of the ten sons of the Rev. John Fisher, a Prebendary of Salisbury, and Rector of Calbourn, in the Isle of Wight. He was appointed second Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery, 1782; first Lieutenant, 1790; Captain-Lieutenant, 1795; Captain, 1801; Major, 1806; Lieutenant-Colonel, 1808; Colonel by brevet, 1814; and Major-General, 1825.

e was appointed a Knight Commander of the Hanoverian Order shortly before his death.

His funeral, which took place on the 15th of March, was attended by several long and extended lines of troops, and the fine bands of the Royal Artillery and Royal Marines. The coffin was drawn on a military waggon, and ornamented with the sword and orders worn by the deceased; and, agreeably to the regulations of the service, three rounds of nine pieces of cannon were fired over the grave.

A portrait of Sir G. B. Fisher, by S. Lovell, was recently exhibited at Somerset House.

Charles Mackinson, Esq.

Mov. 19. At Beauvais, on his way from Paris to England, Charles Msckinnon, Esq., of Grosvenor Place, late M.P. for Ipswich.

Mr. Mackinnon entered the East India Company's service, on their medical establishment in India, early in life. He was appointed Chief Surgeon at Prince of Wales Island in May 1807; where and in China he resided many years. He had a thorough knowledge of the trade with China in all its bearings, and was deeply impressed that the monopoly of that trade by the East India Company was the only means of securing its continuance with this country. He was for some years a candidate for the East India Direction, and stood a poll on the 6th of April, 1830, which terminated against him, as he received only 554 votes, whilst 1009 were given for John Forbes, esq. .

He was first elected to Parliament for Ipswich at the general election of 1826, when he succeeded in ousting one of the former members, W. Haldimand, esq. upon petition, although the latter gentleman had been at the head of the poll. Mr. \omen was re-elected in 1830 and 831.

On the 15th of November 1830 he voted in the minority on the motion respecting the Civil List which ousted the

ellington ministry; and on the 22d Sept. 1831, he also voted in the minority on the passing of the Reform Bill. At the election for Ipswich in 1832 he polled only 94 votes.

« PreviousContinue »